Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, I did on normal difficulty. Now on my ironman run (also normal difficulty).

How was the end fight? Does the game conclude so to speak?

Yes... with a cliffhanger. You defeat all of Yanos' troops and lieutenants, but Yanos himself teleports away!

Sacibengala

Prophet
What resolution should I be running to turn off ant mode? I whittled it down to 1366 x 768 and that seems to give a nice comfy fullscreen view. I'd rather record the menus in full screen instead of jolting back and forth between a giant play field and a postage stamp UI. Unfortunately I don't have Adoflsatan's program anymore.
How do you change resolutions?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
What resolution should I be running to turn off ant mode? I whittled it down to 1366 x 768 and that seems to give a nice comfy fullscreen view. I'd rather record the menus in full screen instead of jolting back and forth between a giant play field and a postage stamp UI. Unfortunately I don't have Adoflsatan's program anymore.
Here we go again. Try this (called reso or reso7):
http://www.bcheck.net/apps/#reso
Basically it creates something similar to what Adolf did but it does it automatically. There is even a GUI and you can choose the resolution. Should work with any program that lacks (good) resolution settings.
I used it some time ago and haven't any problem AND the author made several usufull apps but run it trough any virus/malaware detector to be sure if you want.

How do you change resolutions?
In-game? You don't You either have to manually switch your resolution in your windows and after the game is over manually switch it back...
Or use the above application or AdolfSatan's file.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Basically it creates something similar to what Adolf did but it does it automatically. There is even a GUI and you can choose the resolution. Should work with any program that lacks (good) resolution settings.
I used it some time ago and haven't any problem AND the author made several usufull apps but run it trough any virus/malaware detector to be sure if you want.

In-game? You don't You either have to manually switch your resolution in your windows and after the game is over manually switch it back...

This doesn't work. It switches resolutions and then goes back to default. I think Steam is interfering.

Sacibengala

Prophet

This doesn't work. It switches resolutions and then goes back to default. I think Steam is interfering.
Probably, My version is gog and it worked flawlessly. try to run it without steam.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Has anyone beat the game? Looking at the global steam achievements is a rather depressing affair.

https://steamcommunity.com/stats/1233530/achievements
Many backers who beat it (check the last hundred of pages in this thread) didn't get the steam version. Like… Why the hell would I pay extra to add another step to launch the game?
Pierre mentioned hiring a graphic designer to work on the UI, so I'm holding until then to replay it.

I reuploaded it, but other than that (and with Serus' program not working for you), yeah, 768 is the closest res that'll get you there.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Many backers who beat it (check the last hundred of pages in this thread) didn't get the steam version. Like… Why the hell would I pay extra to add another step to launch the game?
Pierre mentioned hiring a graphic designer to work on the UI, so I'm holding until then to replay it.

I reuploaded it, but other than that (and with Serus' program not working for you), yeah, 768 is the closest res that'll get you there.

Got it working, Steam was the culprit. Changed it to 1024 x 768 though since 1366 is too stretched. Alas, poor chevos.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Now that you mention it, steamfags might be able to force the resolution change from the launch option by RMB > properties on the game inside the library. Try the following argument

Code:
 -screen-width 1024 -screen-height 768 -screen-fullscreen 0

If it doesn't work, give it a try without the full-screen line.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Now that you mention it, steamfags might be able to force the resolution change from the launch option by RMB > properties on the game inside the library. Try the following argument

Code:
 -screen-width 1024 -screen-height 768 -screen-fullscreen 0

If it doesn't work, give it a try without the full-screen line.

No dice., at least not for me.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Give his name to the kids? Err wat I just recruited him to my party I dunno what you mean. His aberration summon dominated quite a few fights tbh.

Btw what weapon proficiencies does Jorad have?

My bad, I was talking about the gambler from the main module's tavern (upstairs).

Did someone found something else about him, after finishing the vanishing sword quest and asking for more, you get to investigate the order of the black rose and can give his name to the kids whom will help you to get his chest key.
Then, you can talk about the order with him (you can do it before as well) but it seems to end here.

And his inventory is full of goodies, at least, it is after you pick-pocket him with the rogue but you can't do anything about it. Or can you?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Give his name to the kids? Err wat I just recruited him to my party I dunno what you mean. His aberration summon dominated quite a few fights tbh.

Btw what weapon proficiencies does Jorad have?

My bad, I was talking about the gambler from the main module's tavern (upstairs).

Did someone found something else about him, after finishing the vanishing sword quest and asking for more, you get to investigate the order of the black rose and can give his name to the kids whom will help you to get his chest key.
Then, you can talk about the order with him (you can do it before as well) but it seems to end here.

And his inventory is full of goodies, at least, it is after you pick-pocket him with the rogue but you can't do anything about it. Or can you?

I've found the Black Rose token in his cloak before I got the quest to investigate the cult, but I had no new interactions with the guy after that.
I decided it's either bugged or there will be a follow up after I leave the sewers.

beat the module was okay. Monk had a bug toward end game where his damage dice broke dealing only his strength modifier in damage was not fun. High level combat is dumb. Skewer rapes prismatic spray destroys.
What is new, DnD + high levels = silliness. This is why Pierre's plans to make high level modules suck. F*** high level modules. Well, better something than nothing but it's still a shame.
hate high level, every high level game is inferior to low and mid level, not sure why some many game makers seem obsessed with it

Yeah I restarted with a dwarf fighter instead of the monk, and a psionics chick instead of the bard. Wiped through the first village like butter so far, now I'll follow that deranged sword into the hag lair and then it's goblin attack + sewers time.

*I took a rogue again, a halfling one this time, for a two hander finesse sneak attack build. We'll see how it plays but I cannot not take a rogue in my party in an RPG.
(Also, party building is a mini-game in itself).
I always considered bards in rpg as sort of thieves but with pretense to artistic talent. :smug:
Some crpgs even give them thieves abilities, for example Wizardry 7.
I think I recall early D&D giving them thief abilities too

underground nymph has a point

The game may feel tactical when it is played but it doesn't look that tactical in videos because the person tends to rely on spamming RNG based disables

tactics: the science and art of disposing and maneuvering forces in combat

From youtube it doesn't look like there is that much of this involved, compared to games where spells are more limited in what they can do.

3 pure casters being mandatory is also a troubling sign.
How having 3 casters mandatory troubling in high level classic D&D ? Been like that since it exists,in 1E 2E 3.5 , mages start weak and are godly in the end, since KOTC2 is some 3.5 hybrid leaning toward very difficult to impossible encounters it make sense in the end you will need those godly characters.
I read pathfinder 2nd edition is better for higher level play but yet to test it.
I usually build parties around 2 1/2 casters, one reason being I don't like having to manage so many spells and buffs all the time, and melee combat is faster and easier and requires less resting...so usually I would have pure MU, pure Cleric and a Bard (the half caster), sometimes also a paladin or ranger which might be considered another .25 of a caster and free up the Cleric for more offensive spells....

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I have a question about mechanics. Wizards with an evocation focus feat have access to a group of feats called Fire Magic, Cold Magic, etc... The issue is that, they only work with spells that have a "descriptor". From what i understand those are found after the name of the school, say "Evocation [fire]". However few spells have it and many that logically should have it - don't. Example, Fireball or Electricity Sphere don't have [fire] or [electricity].
Does it mean that Fireball doesn't work with Fire Magic feat or Electric Sphere with Electricity Magic feat or i misunderstand something?
I looked and in 3.5 core rules all similar spells have the "logical" descriptor.

Could someone test if those feats work with spells ,without descriptors being written, like Fireball with [Fire], please? I don't have a wizard with evocation.

It is either an oversight when writing the descriptions by Pierre and it works, or it is an oversight in how they work mechanically. Either way it would be nice to know and maybe tell Pierre to correct it. The third option is that it is a Pierre's own modification of rules but i doubt it. Fireball not being a [fire] spell is silly and balance wise those feats aren't OP.

Fireblade

Erudite
I have a question about mechanics. Wizards with an evocation focus feat have access to a group of feats called Fire Magic, Cold Magic, etc... The issue is that, they only work with spells that have a "descriptor". From what i understand those are found after the name of the school, say "Evocation [fire]". However few spells have it and many that logically should have it - don't. Example, Fireball or Electricity Sphere don't have [fire] or [electricity].
Does it mean that Fireball doesn't work with Fire Magic feat or Electric Sphere with Electricity Magic feat or i misunderstand something?
I looked and in 3.5 core rules all similar spells have the "logical" descriptor.

Could someone test if those feats work with spells ,without descriptors being written, like Fireball with [Fire], please? I don't have a wizard with evocation.

It is either an oversight when writing the descriptions by Pierre and it works, or it is an oversight in how they work mechanically. Either way it would be nice to know and maybe tell Pierre to correct it. The third option is that it is a Pierre's own modification of rules but i doubt it. Fireball not being a [fire] spell is silly and balance wise those feats aren't OP.

I've got a save with an Evocation Focus Wizard with the Fire Magic feat. What's the best way to confirm? Just check the DC of my cast?

edit: nevermind, I'm being stupid, I see it's the damage dice that are the thing to look at. I'm getting 11 rolls of 1d6 from my Fireball cast.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron

I've got a save with an Evocation Focus Wizard with the Fire Magic feat. What's the best way to confirm? Just check the DC of my cast?

edit: nevermind, I'm being stupid, I see it's the damage dice that are the thing to look at. I'm getting 11 rolls of 1d6 from my Fireball cast.
And 10d6 is the normal maximum normally, right? It works, it just lacks the [fire] part after "Evocation" in the spell description.
I can't really blame Pierre he mostly made the game by himself and there is a lot of of stuff to write that aren't from any books because he modified the rules.

Good to know and thank you for a service to the KotC2 Community(tm). You ahould get the Initiative Roll Medal. 2nd class.

Fireblade

Erudite
So it's working? Hm. Is that feat actually worth taking though?
Probably not? But if you're playing on normal mode, you get so many feats, by the end of the game there isn't much left worth taking. That's how I ended up with it...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has anyone beat the game? Looking at the global steam achievements is a rather depressing affair.

https://steamcommunity.com/stats/1233530/achievements
We did years ago with the hardcore backer version, not point hunting achievement in a game you already finished.

I played through three of the backer versions, and now through the Steam version for the achievements, because the game is just that much fun.

It's way more replayable than most roguelikes with their boring procedural shit. I can replay it at least one or two more times before I get bored with it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
So it's working? Hm. Is that feat actually worth taking though?
Lets's see. In the case of maxed fireball it's a 10% increase in damage output from additional die. Then comes the + to DC = less chance for halving the damage through saves. However it might be relatively much more with spells that aren't maxed yet and less with some maxed high level spells. Also the DC increase can allow to land some status, fire evocation spells are mostly pure damage but some cold ones might have them.
Overall i think it is worth if you really want to be a dps wizard but on 1 feat/3 levels there are simply no way you can squeeze it without sacrificing something more important (initiativ, focus, etc...).

Fireblade

Erudite
Lets's see. In the case of maxed fireball it's a 10% increase in damage output from additional die. Then comes the + to DC = less chance for halving the damage through saves. However it might be relatively much more with spells that aren't maxed yet and less with some maxed high level spells. Also the DC increase can allow to land some status, fire evocation spells are mostly pure damage but some cold ones might have them.
Overall i think it is worth if you really want to be a dps wizard but on 1 feat/3 levels there are simply no way you can squeeze it without sacrificing something more important (initiativ, focus, etc...).
There was no + to DC from that feat (I checked earlier). Caster level doesn't figure directly into the DC calculation, it's different from spell level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom