Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Someone needs to make a "Quest for Roots" module.

There's already 3 spots where you can gather roots outside the village and 1 in the sword's cave, not even counting the ones from the dungeon.
So Quest for Roots is already the sub-subtitle of the module.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm hoarding xp by staying 2/3 level below my total xp, trying to reach the Spider Queen at level 17/18, usually, I get there around level 16.

I'm not sure how I'm faring so far, after clearing Pizarra + the shadows ambush and the remained cultist near the stairs, the team is level 8 but with enough xp to reach level 11.
Beat Pizarra at levels 6/7/8, 6 was a mistake, I thought the fighter was level 7 like the rest (aside from the monk + druid companions at level 8) and he got 21K xp for winning the fight (18/19K at level 7).

It was really tough, I had to use my 2 acorns of earthquake and one raise dead scroll to resurrect the monk (which was replaced by Pizarra afterwards).
Both my mages were muted after 3/4 turns so the DK Skewered his way through the fight with the druid to heal, summon and quicksand, the monk to tank to death and the Psion to nuke, stun and heal while I got the rogue sickened by my own spell and then scared and blinded by the demon and an archer.

First time I think I'm fucked each time any reinforcement arrives, the demon was bad enough, skewered after 2/3 turns, then the orcs and then the Vroks but luckily, they gathered all in one spot to allow me to energy stun them, how nice!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I honestly think BB combat is slightly better (Jarl will lynch me now) but KotC is very good as well.

Nah I won't lynch you for that one, BB's combat system is pretty great. Its encounters can't reach the quality of KotC's hand-made ones, but the system is good enough to carry the game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Also, I didn't mention the Lizard King.
Usually, this encounter is over before it even begin but this time, I didn't bring Erzimon so I was surprised; there's an option or two but both require Erzimon in your active party, I did the quests but left him to rot in jail and then aligned with the Greys (and then killed them all as well); and couldn't lock the King early.

As a result, he dives into the pool and you can't lock him anymore because you don't have 5 foot step on water but he does! (Well, If you aligned with the water druid and the water elemental Storm Warrior, you're in luck but I didn't).

This fight was such a huge pain!
He ran and ran and ran and covered the pool with clouds and energy walls.

Next time, I'm using Erz just for this one fight, I'm never forgetting about this...

Efe

Erudite
im at green/gray goblins as well.
did i miss paladin companion?
is there no way to switch out dead companions with live ones until they are raised?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I abandoned my first playtrough because Yosharian made me aware of the level reduction setting on normal. I'm starting a new game on challenging "bronzeman" = zero reloads except when all party is dead. I have a boring party planned: Wizard (this time red), Psion, Air Druid, Samurai (do Japanese Half-Giants have it to survive Pierre Begue's hell?) and Fighter. The last slot is open: > Psychic Warrior for Pounce spell and the biggest weapon possible* (Half Giant + Expansion spell). > Mantis Rogue. How is it doing in your game Darth Canoli? > Bishop with Turning and Flux + 2 domains to buff inflict/harm spells. And Zen Archery. Probably a terrible idea.

I have a question. In my first game, in Chapter 2, I was friendly with grey goblins, killed the greens. It was OK but i wonder, what's the "optimum" way to do the goblins? Also are there any reward for fighting goblins without help from the other side - other than, I assume, experience?

*Yes mister Freud, it's all about big phallic objects.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also are there any reward for fighting goblins without help from the other side
Gold reward doubles from 40k to 80k or from 50k to 100k, depending on which group you were fighting against.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I abandoned my first playtrough because Yosharian made me aware of the level reduction setting on normal. I'm starting a new game on challenging "bronzeman" = zero reloads except when all party is dead. I have a boring party planned: Wizard (this time red), Psion, Air Druid, Samurai (do Japanese Half-Giants have it to survive Pierre Begue's hell?) and Fighter. The last slot is open: > Psychic Warrior for Pounce spell and the biggest weapon possible* (Half Giant + Expansion spell). > Mantis Rogue. How is it doing in your game Darth Canoli? > Bishop with Turning and Flux + 2 domains to buff inflict/harm spells. And Zen Archery. Probably a terrible idea.

I have a question. In my first game, in Chapter 2, I was friendly with grey goblins, killed the greens. It was OK but i wonder, what's the "optimum" way to do the goblins? Also are there any reward for fighting goblins without help from the other side - other than, I assume, experience?

Best rewards are for fighting alone and fighting with the Greys, the ones you meet first but I fight the Greys sometimes for variety sake.
Still, Fighting the Greens is much more fun, these snakes and the minotaur ...
And you get the best rewards as well, what's not to like?

Also, if you fight the Greys, the Gob King fight is easier since the King is alone and helpless in the main corridor, poor thing.

Your team looks good but I wouldn't pick 2 half giants, it's a bit too much, their reduced movement is a pain up until you find haste boots and the ones you can buy are way too expensive.
Also, if you have a Samourai, you could recruit the Half-Giant Barbarian and he's a beast.

As for me, I'm slowly cleaning the rooms before the Dragon fight, which i'll save for later, sticking to level 8 for now (except Pizarra which is level 10 already) and half the crew is close to level 14 already, I think I'm going to make it to level 18 before the Spider and then squash her like a bug.

If I can complete this Ironman run, I'm going to seriously work on my module.

Gold reward doubles from 40k to 80k or from 50k to 100k, depending on which group you were fighting against.

And the best reward is the time you save by fighting alone and not having to wait for twice as many units controlled by the AI.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Best rewards are for fighting alone and fighting with the Greys, the ones you meet first but I fight the Greys sometimes for variety sake.
Still, Fighting the Greens is much more fun, these snakes and the minotaur ...
And you get the best rewards as well, what's not to like?

Also, if you fight the Greys, the Gob King fight is easier since the King is alone and helpless in the main corridor, poor thing.

Your team looks good but I wouldn't pick 2 half giants, it's a bit too much, their reduced movement is a pain up until you find haste boots and the ones you can buy are way too expensive.
Also, if you have a Samourai, you could recruit the Half-Giant Barbarian and he's a beast.

As for me, I'm slowly cleaning the rooms before the Dragon fight, which i'll save for later, sticking to level 8 for now (except Pizarra which is level 10 already) and half the crew is close to level 14 already, I think I'm going to make it to level 18 before the Spider and then squash her like a bug.

If I can complete this Ironman run, I'm going to seriously work on my module.

And the best reward is the time you save by fighting alone and not having to wait for twice as many units controlled by the AI.
We know each other with Jorad already.
You can buy boots of... something (+10 speed) in Finchbury in the beginning of the game once you get ~5k. That's obviously not haste but the price is also not hasted. But you are right, Japanese are mostly short so a Half-Giant makes little sense. He can be Drake or Human or even Centaur.
Ok, I'll kill Grey Goblin meat this time.
What about the Mantis Rogue, you have one, right?

Lios

Cipher
Samurai (do Japanese Half-Giants have it to survive Pierre Begue's hell?)

My human samurai (now somewhere around level 13- chapter 3, the High Sewers of Big Gangbang Bonanza) is a killing machine. Clad in heavy armour but with no speed penalty and armed with the best one-handed sword I can get my hands into, he goes around criting for roughly 90 damage per hit, he just doesn't give a fuck. Highly recommended.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Is the improved feint line of feats worth taking? Being able to deny dex bonuses for free every turn sounds pretty good, but are there enough enemies worth using it on?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

My human samurai (now somewhere around level 13- chapter 3, the High Sewers of Big Gangbang Bonanza) is a killing machine. Clad in heavy armour but with no speed penalty and armed with the best one-handed sword I can get my hands into, he goes around criting for roughly 90 damage per hit, he just doesn't give a fuck. Highly recommended.

Sam can use two-handed, or better Reach (Ranseur gives bonus to Disarm which you can do at range with reach weapon and get Greater for Swift at lvl 6) to hit 24 squares instead of eight. Sam enchants his own weapon so don’t even need a Masterwork.

Perfect slot for Half-Sal to add on Fire damage and open up dialogue/content since Sam only needs a couple stats (14 DEX for Combat Reflexes is a good idea). Make sure to pick up Boots of Striding before first rest.

Ranger is a good slot for Half-Giant since it doesn’t need to move. You can leave DEX at 12 since Goblin Bow gives +2 DEX and just use Guardian, Zen Archery, and WIS headpiece. Critical Shot + Force Bow hits like a ton of bricks and Careful Shot gets you there the first few lvls. Also opens up some unique content/prevents surprise.

Caravaner Mantis Bard is a good home for random Magic weapons (don’t need Finesse since no DEX to damage) and you can still use the Heavy Shield. Again gets a Mantis for dialogue/surprise prevention.

Elf Fire Wiz gets Search to 22 and cheaper Empower/Max while getting Monk companion for Grappling since he ends up with a ton of Speed.

Halfling Bishop covers small-size dialogue without costing attack damage since Magic Domain gives plenty of casts so don’t need to attack much. Starting with Turning for free Concentration. Summoning Domains are great but action Econ already crowded and Turning has dialogue (saves you 1200 gold in Finchbury) and Domain makes it viable in some tough fights since Bishop can use vs Elementals/Outsiders/etc…

Human Psi gets extra Feats for Improved Stomp/Energy Missile/Mind Hammer/Inflict Pain and later the Energy AoEs which are all really great. Starting with Improved Feint gives you some useful action economy early to conserve PP. Your Mage Armor scales so you can get reasonably tanky.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Sam can use two-handed, or better Reach (Ranseur gives bonus to Disarm which you can do at range with reach weapon and get Greater for Swift at lvl 6) to hit 24 squares instead of eight. Sam enchants his own weapon so don’t even need a Masterwork.

Perfect slot for Half-Sal to add on Fire damage and open up dialogue/content since Sam only needs a couple stats (14 DEX for Combat Reflexes is a good idea). Make sure to pick up Boots of Striding before first rest.

Ranger is a good slot for Half-Giant since it doesn’t need to move. You can leave DEX at 12 since Goblin Bow gives +2 DEX and just use Guardian, Zen Archery, and WIS headpiece. Critical Shot + Force Bow hits like a ton of bricks and Careful Shot gets you there the first few lvls. Also opens up some unique content/prevents surprise.

Caravaner Mantis Bard is a good home for random Magic weapons (don’t need Finesse since no DEX to damage) and you can still use the Heavy Shield. Again gets a Mantis for dialogue/surprise prevention.

Elf Fire Wiz gets Search to 22 and cheaper Empower/Max while getting Monk companion for Grappling since he ends up with a ton of Speed.

Halfling Bishop covers small-size dialogue without costing attack damage since Magic Domain gives plenty of casts so don’t need to attack much. Starting with Turning for free Concentration. Summoning Domains are great but action Econ already crowded and Turning has dialogue (saves you 1200 gold in Finchbury) and Domain makes it viable in some tough fights since Bishop can use vs Elementals/Outsiders/etc…

Human Psi gets extra Feats for Improved Stomp/Energy Missile/Mind Hammer/Inflict Pain and later the Energy AoEs which are all really great. Starting with Improved Feint gives you some useful action economy early to conserve PP. Your Mage Armor scales so you can get reasonably tanky.
Some weird builds and advice. My thoughts:
Mantis bard, no finesse, what? I don't get it.
If you want the fire option then go fire drake, superior choice for melee. Salamanders = 20 speed + average stats. Probably one of the two worst races.
Wizards Stygian Human > Wizard Elf unless on normal. Wizards are feat starved in my opinion, especially early. +2 search shouldn't matter. In addition Elves are gay and suck.
For grappling I'd prefer my own guy. A Centaur for speed. Keeping the slot for a companion better than that monk, which is, i think, most of them. However i didn't play with him or any monk so i might be wrong.
I liked my deep kobold psion, my most tanky character early. Has additional 3AC natural/size. Has 20 INT and covers small size dialogue options. Of curse feats are feats and humans have great stats for any class.
A Halfling Bishop, yes that at least makes sense and sounds funny. +1 AC from size and +2 saves might or might not be worth 2 feats + normal size but bishop shouldn't be very feat hungry. I like the idea. How many humans one can have in the party anyway.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Half Giant(cloud) monks are quite powerful. Probably the best martial race/class combo IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom