Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
This is dumb. The graphics are worst than the original which was made ages ago. Money us nit the issue. He literally could have kept the graphics ad they were and they'd be better than part2.

You are so easily TRIGGERED over someone talking about graphics, you damn graphics where. It seems to be your only focus. Lmao
Are you playing with tokens? I played with the little sprites and I thought it looked nice, like the first one.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Whoa, what happened to the graphics in this game? This actually looks p. decent nowadays. The UI elements are still cringe, he should copy/paste BG (and even POE). Fixing colors (eye-bleeding glary ones need to be replaced with more appropriate and down-to-earth ones) would go a long way for starters.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
this your first encounter with volourn dc? it's almost chilling to see you treating him like a regular poster

No, it's not but I like to answer to the graphic whores about KotC 2 sprites issues as it has nothing to do with a design choice, only a budget one and it was a unreached kickstarter goal.
Even the Volourns of the world deserve some answers every now and then.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1233530/view/5241644120313964699

Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.42
Hello everyone! KotC 2 version 1.42 is here, and it has the Barbarian class upgrade! Yay!

It also has a lot of code designed to accelerate gameplay. You should be able to see a difference both while playing and using the editor.

The new version may have new bugs, so if you find any, please drop me a line at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.comso that I can fix the game quickly. Thank you!!

Here's the list of changes in version 1.42:

• Upgraded the Barbarian class with the 12 Spirit Animals and several new feats: Extended Spirit Animals, Fast Spirit Animal Elephant, and
    Improved Spirit Animal Elephant. Barbarians with the Elephant spirit can also take the feat Breath Weapon Shaping (it will apply both to the Elephant spirit and the Drake's breath weapon). The Barbarian class now also gets the feat Die Hard for free at level 1, a bonus feat at level 2, two Rage uses per day from level 1 and more afterwards, and a higher Damage Reduction that increases to DR 10 by level 20. Please see the in-game character-class chart for details. Also, entering a Rage now does not take any time at all. Previously, it was processed as a free action. The change means that you can enter a Rage and then use a free-action Spirit Animal power, and you'll still have your move action and standard action available this turn.
  • Improved the AI. Enemy Barbarians will be able to use their Spirit Animals correctly. Also, enemies will be able to take a swift combat manoeuvre, or a Death Knight Life Drain, immediately after a charge. Also, enemy Psychic Warriors will be able to use the Psionic Pounce power correctly. All the Barbarians in Augury of Chaos and the Tutorial Adventure have been upgraded, so they have spirit animals and the other benefits of the class. However, I haven't upgraded the pre-created characters in the Character Roster yet, because I don't want to overwrite the player's file. I'll look into that.
  • Reworked a lot of the code to improve gameplay speed during combat and elsewhere.
  • Fixed a bug with the effect of the Druid's Earth Sphere on the spell Magic Stone.
  • Fixed a bug preventing you from unlocking Archmage mode Steam/GOG achievements when you have a Cloudtop or Guardian Half-Giant in the party. Please start a new game to obtain the achievements.
  • Fixed several bugs concerning the Paladin's spell Holy Sword. Also, the spell Holy Sword will now grant a +2 bonus to all Damage Rolls, increasing to +4 from level 17.
  • Fixed a bug with the Ratmenin the Low Sewers when you select the [Assassin] skill option. Also fixed a scrolling issue when you select that option.
  • Fixed a bug with the Creature Wizard applying the effect of some Barbarian and Samurai feats two times when creating a character or monster.
  • Fixed errors in the help entry for the Haste condition. Fixed errors in the spell descriptions for the Death Knight Life Drain and the spells associated with supernatural Cleric Domain Powers. Improved the help entry for Special Abilities with some details about supernatural and extraordinary abilities.
  • Fixed a bug with the Damage Reduction ability of the Barbarian and Samurai, and the feats that increase the DR.
  • Fixed a tooltip issue in the Level-Up screen.
  • In Augury of Chaos, when leaving the inn, any blood stains on the floor of the first level of the inn resulting from your battles will be cleared. Also added a script command to do this for any map of any module.
Thank You So Much For Your Support, Legendary Heroes of the Realm! Enjoy! :)

Mauman

Learned
Now I really want to make a Drake barbarian that focuses on breath weapons.

edit - I was just reading some old kickstarter stuff and noticed that there were entries for a few classes that didn't make it in. In particular the summoner and necromancer looked pretty good. Shame they never got in.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's crazy how one guy is doing this. Meanwhile you have studios like Larian that take years to implement just *one* singular class.
True, but it's way faster to develop a class when you don't have to bother with animations voices and all that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
True, but it's way faster to develop a class when you don't have to bother with animations voices and all that.

All these oh so crucial features.
I'm glad to see one dev at least has its priorities straight, gameplay...

I wonder if my 1.35 saves would be compatible since I didn't complete my low magic playthrough.
The Barbarian is really looking awesome now.

Reworked a lot of the code to improve gameplay speed during combat and elsewhere.

I thought a lot of optimization had already been done but it didn't stop Pierre from going even further. :obviously:

Last edited:

rojay

Scholar
If you email him, you'll likely get a response in a week or so. Ask him if those features are in the works?

Mauman

Learned
Testing the barbarian out, I think I can safely say that they are the best grapplers in the game now.

The ability to basically have true sight (blindsight) from level 1 ten+ times per day is something else.

Porpoise is the obvious choice for your 1st animal totem. I'm kinda torn as to which is better for the second one, spider or crocodile.

+10 speed is nice and immunity to web (among other things) is great, but there is enough water shit in the early game that I kinda think that crocodile is a good pick (not to mention the +2 to attack which is very valuable early on).

Mauman

Learned
Testing the barbarian out, I think I can safely say that they are the best grapplers in the game now.
there goes my monks only niche, lmao, back to playing as a subpar martial.
I mean, monks still have more and stronger natural attacks when grappling, but with rage, animal totems, and the strength feats barbarians can now grapple anything right out of the gate with abilities that just flat out ignore stuff like concealment and mirrors.

Also spider totem, the natural speed increase barbs get, and the speed boots one can pick up early on makes it easy for your barbarian to get where they need to be. Even a half-giant barbarian.

barricade

Educated
how is the difficulty of this game compared to the first one?

because i finished it recently, kinda loved it, but once you reach like lvl 4 (not sure exactly) the game becomes way too easy and it made me frustrated. especially after hearing people telling how hard this game was.
and i never grinded any xp on world map, never used more than 1 mage/1 cleric, never used any crafting at all. and yet, i always felt like that my characters were way too op compared to 95% of enemies.

not sure if i can spend 40euros in a game that i'll destroy in 20 hours without any challenge.

barricade

Educated
when i said that i finished it recently i was talking about the first KOTC. just in case.

and yes, that was a serious question. feel free to answer tho, you don't have to hide behind smileys, i won't bite. lol

almondblight

Arcane

No, it's not but I like to answer to the graphic whores about KotC 2 sprites issues as it has nothing to do with a design choice, only a budget one and it was a unreached kickstarter goal.

No, I seriously doubt the sprite package KotC 2 is using now cost much less than the sprite package used by Low Magic Age. This is like the excuses Vogel always gives when he pretends he couldn't make his games look better. Yes, the low budget means that certain things aren't possible, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Codex criticism of graphics lead to Sword and Sorcery Underworld having much better graphics, as well as Together in Battle, Craig Stern's next game. I remember Stern was convinced that better graphics were out of his budget as well, but when the Codex convinced him to try, he found much better artists for the same price. In order to improve a game, one needs to be able to point out its faults. Blind fanboyism is only going to hurt the game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

because i finished it recently, kinda loved it, but once you reach like lvl 4 (not sure exactly) the game becomes way too easy and it made me frustrated. especially after hearing people telling how hard this game was.
and i never grinded any xp on world map, never used more than 1 mage/1 cleric, never used any crafting at all. and yet, i always felt like that my characters were way too op compared to 95% of enemies.

not sure if i can spend 40euros in a game that i'll destroy in 20 hours without any challenge.

It's harder with the original difficulty, aka very hard/Archmage.

I can't speak for other difficulty modes as the only thing I temper with are more feats and no gold for leveling up and the game is still a challenge.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
No, I seriously doubt the sprite package KotC 2 is using now cost much less than the sprite package used by Low Magic Age. This is like the excuses Vogel always gives when he pretends he couldn't make his games look better. Yes, the low budget means that certain things aren't possible, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Codex criticism of graphics lead to Sword and Sorcery Underworld having much better graphics, as well as Together in Battle, Craig Stern's next game. I remember Stern was convinced that better graphics were out of his budget as well, but when the Codex convinced him to try, he found much better artists for the same price. In order to improve a game, one needs to be able to point out its faults. Blind fanboyism is only going to hurt the game.

Don't be a retard and compare Vogel to Pierre, it's like comparing an intern to a master craftman.
As for the looks, Pierre already added 3D models on top of the original tokens.

I don't see how any art design would hurt the game at this point, it's a game for true cRPG lovers which are there for the gameplay.

90% of the consumers prefer KotC 1 2D animated sprites but it is how it is.

barricade

Educated

It's harder with the original difficulty, aka very hard/Archmage.

I can't speak for other difficulty modes as the only thing I temper with are more feats and no gold for leveling up and the game is still a challenge.

thanks bro, sounds like my kind of crpg then, but that price still hurts tho :eek:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom