Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
It would be really cool for the tokens to be easily swappable with your own images, but I hope he never changes it and keeps the tokens. It's a fantastic casual filter and ensures that undesirables fuck off and only those who care about the mechanics and gameplay stay around.

Mortmal

Arcane
Thanks for the link, I'll forward him a few shekels when my salary comes in next month. :salute:

Really looking forward to KotC 2, fuck the graphics and all the naysayers, the tokens look just fine.
Ok prove it! Change your forum avatar to the "hello beautiful" token i dare you !
Some people, as much as it's hard to believe for You, really think that graphics is secondary to gameplay. If you don't believe me - look at all the roguelikes (proper ones) being made and played. Many of which have simple tilesets at most, sometimes even just ASCII. Granted it's a niche that only a small subset of players enjoy - but to be honest - first KotC wasn't a popular hit either.
Would he make more money if he invested in better graphics? Well, yes, with high probability. Will I (and others) enjoy playing the game regardless? Again, yes if it ends at least as good gameplay-wise as the first part. Assuming it will be done at all of curse. As long as the graphics won't stop Pierre from actually finishing this game, I don't care much.

Thats not how i see things, lets say you know a very good game master,let's name him Pierre . He knows the rules, you'll sure to have a fun game with him and some real deep D&D if not providing the best story telling ever . However when you enter his room you seen he has not washed himself since weeks, wearing the same old dirty wifebeater, there's garbage bags everywhere, empty cans, a pool of vomit on the game table where you put the figurines , and the dog shat in the corner. Will you join the game ? That's kinda the same effect i have when looking at Kotc 2 screenshots, i am sorry.

It's not about graphics, i'll state it one more time its about presentation.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Thanks for the link, I'll forward him a few shekels when my salary comes in next month. :salute:

Really looking forward to KotC 2, fuck the graphics and all the naysayers, the tokens look just fine.
Ok prove it! Change your forum avatar to the "hello beautiful" token i dare you !
Some people, as much as it's hard to believe for You, really think that graphics is secondary to gameplay. If you don't believe me - look at all the roguelikes (proper ones) being made and played. Many of which have simple tilesets at most, sometimes even just ASCII. Granted it's a niche that only a small subset of players enjoy - but to be honest - first KotC wasn't a popular hit either.
Would he make more money if he invested in better graphics? Well, yes, with high probability. Will I (and others) enjoy playing the game regardless? Again, yes if it ends at least as good gameplay-wise as the first part. Assuming it will be done at all of curse. As long as the graphics won't stop Pierre from actually finishing this game, I don't care much.

Thats not how i see things, lets say you know a very good game master,let's name him Pierre . He knows the rules, you'll sure to have a fun game with him and some real deep D&D if not providing the best story telling ever . However when you enter his room you seen he has not washed himself since weeks, wearing the same old dirty wifebeater, there's garbage bags everywhere, empty cans, a pool of vomit on the game table where you put the figurines , and the dog shat in the corner. Will you join the game ? That's kinda the same effect i have when looking at Kotc 2 screenshots, i am sorry.

Fuck the optics, he's making incline.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Thats not how i see things, lets say you know a very good game master,let's name him Pierre . He knows the rules, you'll sure to have a fun game with him and some real deep D&D if not providing the best story telling ever . However when you enter his room you seen he has not washed himself since weeks, wearing the same old dirty wifebeater, there's garbage bags everywhere, empty cans, a pool of vomit on the game table where you put the figurines , and the dog shat in the corner. Will you join the game ?

If the GM went through that much effort to prepare for our session of 'USA-Today: The Penultimate North American Role-Playing Game!', you're goddamn fucking right I'd join!

As long as he let me play as the Numinous Negro class. Them fellas get free gibs from almost all the NPC factions!

Mortmal

Arcane

Fuck the optics, he's making incline.
Nah we should punch him and kick in the balls till we get results. Codex can do wonders remember we went from :

To this, thanks to our valiant efforts:

Mustawd

It would be really cool for the tokens to be easily swappable with your own images, but I hope he never changes it and keeps the tokens. It's a fantastic casual filter and ensures that undesirables fuck off and only those who care about the mechanics and gameplay stay around.

Just having the awful images as a default serves as a great casual filter.

Besides, isn’t module making a thing with this or am I misremembering? If so, being locked into the default art would be stupid af.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I never understood how a sequel finds a way to look worse than the original.

No artistic taste whatsoever? You can look at the UI and see how he has no idea about anything graphics related.
I bet if you ask him he's gonna say this looks better than KotC because it's not pixelated.

Or, maybe this was cheaper to make.

mondblut

Arcane

dI0oVWAgk-CI7hvdawKU2ZPmABLCRLf5lxRd6-iU8GV8IaLtEbAKqscgDIFbKVGynw=h900.png

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Codex are graphic whores. News at 11.

Well, those icons don't do it for me either, he's probably going for something easier to make and i'm convinced he thinks the new look will be more mainstream but i think he's wrong and it really looks like shitty flash MMO games.
Except it's not MMO so he won't get the same attention from the dumb masses while loosing his core supporters.

If he does a MMO grindy shit social-media friendly game with those visuals, though, i'm not going to touch it but it's a smart move, for once.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It shouldn't be that hard to understand. KotC1 had no druids - the reason (I asked him)? Because Druids would have required wildshape, animal companions and summons, i.e. additional pixel art and animations. There was only one summoning spell and you could only summon the same fire elemental. Why? Summon Monster a la ToEE would have required a lot of different creature graphics and animations.

If you look at KotC2 there are so many creatures, spells, classes, prestige classes... there are only 2 options for Pierre here: implement those features but cut down on the need for gfx/animations or cut down on the features that would require gfx/animations.
He doesn't have a guy who works for free and does the gfx/anis only on the prospect of future profit , like VD had. Finding one would probably require more social interaction than he seems willing to perform.

mondblut

Arcane
If it wasn't a problem for an average shareware Ultima 3 clone back in 1992, it sure shouldn't be a problem in 2018.

KOTC1 had perfectly serviceable graphics, and I am sure anyone can pull off Exile/Realmz/Dominions kind of unit art. Animations are completely unnecessary. I just want to see fighters fghting orcs, not rainbow bubbles moving around rainbow bubbles.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom

I'm not sure that logic is consistent though, animations ? Does the pixel PC need any ? On the other hand, looks like he's on the road to compete with AAA games with spells effects (animation ?).

We don't need those spells effects enhancements.
Isn't PC / monsters art more important ?

I can't help but think his priorities are misplaced.
Maybe he needs a roots eating woman to get involved in his project to get them straight.

And by the way, why not modding himself KotC to make it "mainstream friendly" like a casual option where you start at level 4 ?
With more scripted encounters and side-quests.
And then sell it on Steam/Gog to make some cash and prepare a worthy sequel ?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
However, from a KS standpoint, the shit art will definitely hurt him. He needs to have a very modest goal in mind or this thing will fail spectacularly.

True. He should ask for 10-15k dollars. That's enough money to live comfortably for 12 or so months here in Eastern Yurop.

Someone accustomed to eating roots to not die from hunger could feel like he is living luxuriously for 24 months on that amount.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm sure you can get used to these and stop caring, but mondblut is right that even some basic sprites would be preferable. It is a huge decline from KotC. Problem is, I don't think Le Pierre would agree, even if he could get them done for the same money.

As for the tokens, apart from the terrible art on them, they'd benefit from some basic graphic design that could also extend to the UI. They could have some nice proper borders for example, instead of that horrible black glow.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, I hope the font is moddable, it's a pain to read on some screens...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom