Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I grew up on pokemon, halo and call of duty

I didn't pay a cent for them my parents did
Looks like you still have some growing up to do. But don't worry, one day you'll have a salary and will be able to afford games.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
I grew up on pokemon, halo and call of duty

I didn't pay a cent for them my parents did
Looks like you still have some growing up to do. But don't worry, one day you'll have a salary and will be able to afford games.
it's cope same thing with the people who bought total war warhammer 1-3 and all the dlc it's overpriced for what is delivered

Lios

Cipher
You also buy it to support the guy and his (your) passion. I also found the game too expensive for my wallet, though I bought it day one.
Sometimes you want to exit the cynical bastard state of mind and show your admiration for someone's work without demanding instant gratification for the simple fact that you supported someone's work. I guess this is also a sign of early boomeritis too but eh what can you do.

It doesn't hurt that the game is also really, really good.

Mortmal

Arcane
The maximum estimate for this game is 3,600 copies, which is very generous. With each box priced at 40 euros, that's 108,000 euros after the Steam cut. He would still have to pay taxes on this, which could be well over 30%. Who would bother working for years on something as complex for, at best, 68,560 euros?

rojay

Scholar
The maximum estimate for this game is 3,600 copies, which is very generous. With each box priced at 40 euros, that's 108,000 euros after the Steam cut. He would still have to pay taxes on this, which could be well over 30%. Who would bother working for years on something as complex for, at best, 68,560 euros?
A passionate (autistic) man who has other means of support and/or doesn't care about making money? It's not like he's angling for a movie franchise out of the game or something.

I bought it in early access, when I think it was $20? Absolutely worth it for me, but it's not for everyone.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
maybe if it was priced more reasonably more people would be willing to give it a try

dark souls was a hard game but normies adapted and ate it up

if the game is so perfect why not let the market decide, instead of gating it for hyper autists

rojay

Scholar

if the game is so perfect why not let the market decide, instead of gating it for hyper autists
Because he doesn't care whether you or the market think it's perfect. He's a weird dude, and he probably should drop the price but I respect that he doesn't give a shit.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter

Because he doesn't care whether you or the market think it's perfect. He's a weird dude, and he probably should drop the price but I respect that he doesn't give a shit.
meh if he doesn't give a shit let all the babies buy it on sale and leave their negative reviews who cares if they want a refund

Butter

Arcane
Patron
pierre_bottom_line.png

rojay

Scholar

meh if he doesn't give a shit let all the babies buy it on sale and leave their negative reviews who cares if they want a refund
I guess I should have said that I don't care what you think either?

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter

damn bro, only cool people don't care about things, you must be a fucking badass

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

damn bro, only cool people don't care about things, you must be a fucking badass
Are you like actually poor or just trying to stand up for the wretched of the Earth?

I mean just skip a trip to Thailand and you can afford all the games you want.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
maybe if it was priced more reasonably more people would be willing to give it a try

dark souls was a hard game but normies adapted and ate it up

considering inflation and how immense knights of the chalice 2 is, 45 usd (plus sales tax) isn't unreasonable at all

almondblight

Arcane

I mean, yes? I'd prefer if Pierre lowered the price because him actually making some money means more time and resources spent on the game. Additionally, I want him to lower the price because we aren't going to get that many campaigns without a much larger user base, and that's a shame.

Yes, the game is worth it at this price. The problem is, people on the fence aren't going to even give it a try at this price, especially with the questionable graphics. Dominions is able to pull it off, and maybe Pierre could to with KotC3 if this one was a megahit. But as things currently stand, a lower price is better for everyone.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think this is a game for fence sitters. You either want a challenging tb crpg with a ruleset based on dnd 3e OGL or you don't. Typically this demographic doesn't mind parting with the asking price.

I think it's tough for many codexers to understand that the types of games we enjoy just will never be that popular or that profitable. Charging 20 bucks for kotc2 won't change that but I guess it could be worth a shot? I think it's a moot point and not something Pierre is interested in, maybe one day.

Trying to compare Pierre and his few helpers to a major dev team/publisher makes no sense. Also, citing Dark Souls makes no sense. DS is still an action game with cool visuals and far more accessible and appealing to a "normie" vs either kotc games.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You also buy it to support the guy and his (your) passion. I also found the game too expensive for my wallet, though I bought it day one.
Sometimes you want to exit the cynical bastard state of mind and show your admiration for someone's work without demanding instant gratification for the simple fact that you supported someone's work.
I can get behind that but I'm no millionaire so I have to pick and choose who to throw money at. The guy that spends efforts on 3D models, doesn't release his finished games for months, veers off to make some TBS game nobody wanted, and seemingly doesn't need the money to begin with yet charges lots for the game out of pride feels akin to GRRM asking for a heart transplant so he can finish his books.

Lios

Cipher
Sometimes you want to exit the cynical bastard state of mind and show your admiration for someone's work without demanding instant gratification for the simple fact that you supported someone's work.
I can get behind that but I'm no millionaire so I have to pick and choose who to throw money at. The guy that spends efforts on 3D models, doesn't release his finished games for months, veers off to make some TBS game nobody wanted, and seemingly doesn't need the money to begin with yet charges lots for the game out of pride feels akin to GRRM asking for a heart transplant so he can finish his books.

Yeah I'm not money-shaming anyone, anyway. As I said, the game was too expensive for my wallet too, so I'm no millionaire either.
I agree that his fixation with the horrendous 3d models is stupid.

"Seemingly doesn't need the money" is not something I can actually know to be true or not, thus I don't really care, as long as he offers a complete package that I have interest in buying, even in a price more expensive than I would prefer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom