Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Turn_BASED

Educated
The game is great mechanically but it's so fucking ugly it's unreal. KotC 1's pixel style looked one million times better, which is why Hearkenwold is the best way to play KotC 2. If you haven't played it already, absolutely give it a try.

Snufkin

Augur
The game is great mechanically but it's so fucking ugly it's unreal. KotC 1's pixel style looked one million times better, which is why Hearkenwold is the best way to play KotC 2. If you haven't played it already, absolutely give it a try.
Is there version that s compatible with latest KOTC2 1.74 ? Last avaible Hearkenworld is 1.73.

Turn_BASED

Educated
Is there version that s compatible with latest KOTC2 1.74 ? Last avaible Hearkenworld is 1.73.
I don't think so, I've just been playing on 1.73.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I don't think so, I've just been playing on 1.73.
When in doubt, one can always play the Iceblink version which doesn't require KotC2.

Dorateen

Arcane
As I've mentioned when Pierre first announced his 5-5-5 initiative for module creation, I have no commercial ambitions or ulterior motives with Hearkenwold. 1.73 is the current version available and it is compatible with KotC2 1.74. I will be releasing an update that continues the campaign later in September.

I do think the Editor is perfect for laying down maps with encounters in a straightforward dungeon crawl scenario. In this case, tokens still work best; they haven't been replaced by the 3D sprites, it is completely up to the builder and an option for the player. And designers looking for inspiration, I think the format lends itself nicely to conversions or adaptations of pen and paper modules. To follow up on what Gandalf posted above, it is very easy to import all the monsters from Augury of Chaos, complete with their abilities and AI scripting. These can further be modified to make unique or more suitable enemies for a module as needed. The same goes for weapons and equipment.

Last edited:

Lukipaluki

Novice
Howdy ya'll, looking forward to the new set of incoming modules?

ME, personally?

I am way more interested in the development of endless gimmick AI shit, a lot more bargain bin sprite replacements to come, coooool :cool: additions and alterations to the game that nobody who supported during crowdfunding or paid for a copy of their own gives a flying dingleberry about, and a steadily declining interest in the module creation scene due to lack of concise, in-depth, accurate documentation for module development, along with the total missed opportunity for potentially having the greatest prospective open source computer-game framework since fucking FRUA, for classic grid-based dungeon crawling tactical role-playing action up-the-ass Grognardfuckingness post-ToEE!1!! *breathes* phewwww...

When The Dark Arena is finally released -- I like you -- am also excited to wait another 4-5 years for the next Pierre tm module; ...that is, before a consistent lack of freshly oxygenated blood flow to the brain from an all-turmeric root diet suffocates whats left of his common sense and critical thinking abilities. :mad: arghhh!!!

:love: ily pierre, plz doint be too upset!

AdolfSatan

Arcane
What about yours? I've been wanting to play it but have been mostly stopped because you uploaded it to nexus and I refuse to create an account to download a fucking file. Is it hosted somewhere less gay?

Dorateen

Arcane

Gandalf

Arbiter
What about yours? I've been wanting to play it but have been mostly stopped because you uploaded it to nexus and I refuse to create an account to download a fucking file. Is it hosted somewhere less gay?
Do you think it was my idea to upload it on a nexus? All of the current KotC2 mods and modules are hosted there.
The older version was hosted at this link:

https://gandalfsencounters.itch.io/gandalfsencounters

I'm not sure if the most recent version on the nexus page is there.
Nexus is the way to go.
Itch.io is just a beta with less conent.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.75

Hi everyone! Version
1.75 of Knights of the Chalice 2 has landed.

Today's update introduces
high-resolution spell icons, which can also be used as dialogue icons. I hope you'll like them!

I'll post a new Kickstarter Update with screenshots in coming days.

• Graphics:
    Added a brand new set of high-resolution spell icons, featuring more than 600 new icons for spells and psionic powers.
  • Graphics:
    Expanded the set of existing spell icons. For example, there are now unique icons for each version of the Summon Elemental spells.
  • Graphics:
    Added a new option under 'Display' allowing you to revert to the classic set of spell icons, if you prefer that one.
  • Module Editor:
    You can use the new spell icons in scripted dialogues
    . This works because the format of the new spell icons is the same as the format of dialogue icons (64*64 pixels).
  • Voice Effects:
    Increased the volume of voice effects and non-localised sound effects, by playing them as stereo sounds even if the sound file uses the mono-channel format.
  • Sound Effects:
    Added a new sound effect for a metal gate or door opening: '
    Door opening 4.wav
    '.
  • Help Entries:
    Improved the help entries for the feats Armour Expertise I and Armour Expertise II. Also added a link to these feats in the help entry for 'Restricted Dexterity Bonus'.
Please don't hesitate to email me at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com if you find any bugs and annoyances, so that I can fix the game quickly. A saved game may be very helpful, too.

Thank You So Much, Valiant Paladins and Wizards of the Realm! Take care!! ^_^

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
"Oh hey I wonder if this campaign might be fun to play ironman?"
*Level 1 dwarf summons level 7 large earth elemental to annihilate my level 1 party*
"Oh hey I wonder if this campaign might be fun to savescum my way through because it's total horseshit."

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/4183669

Update #86: KotC 2 Version 1.75 Adds New Set Of 600 High-Resolution Spell Icons! :)

Hello everyone! In the past month, we had one update for KotC 2. The latest version can be downloaded here for Windows and macOS, or from Steam and GOG.

Version 1.75 added high-resolution spell icons, which can also be used as dialogue icons. It took me ages to complete the set, and then I had to upgrade the interface and fix a few bugs in order to display the new icons correctly. But now it's finally done. I hope you like the result!

07e4e43a38244e073e037cb61437f473_original.png

Separately, I couldn't resist creating a bunch of additional soundtracks for the upcoming KotC 2 adventure module The Dark Arena.

452ac053f8dc95be37d081794be4fd91_original.png

The new soundtracks include the ten-minute vocal soundtrack The Seeker, three-minute instrumental soundtrack Arenas Of Destiny, four-minute vocal soundtrack Far Away, and five-minute instrumental soundtrack Ready For Adventure. I can't wait to have these soundtracks play at suitable times in the upcoming modules!

9a217ea561ec7303000cd60915eb626b_original.png

Coming Up in KotC 2 Version 1.76​

In the last few days, I've been working on a new custom dialogue interface feature. I've done some tests with a new dialogue box. I'll present it later on, once I'm happy with the result.

It's a bit more complicated than I thought initially because a bigger dialogue box is needed in full-screen mode. A separate custom graphic is also needed, ideally, for the frame of the dialogue icon because some dialogues have an icon and some don't.

Finally, it may be good to have a new player option for bold text inside the dialogue box in order to improve readability.

A script could also be used to change the style of the dialogue interface during the course of the adventure, perhaps depending on the player's choice (good or evil, law or chaos, for example) or based on the creature the party is conversing with.
30b7fb2f36e19062b2e8149050eca71b_original.png

Apart from work on the new module The Dark Arena, I'm planning to add story images for the module Augury of Chaos, plus new monster sprites for the Giant Snake, Giant Crab, Giant Scorpion, Giant Beetle, Snakeman, Gargoyle, Drake, Babau, and Mummy. I'm not forgetting the Mantis, but that will probably come later on.

List of Changes in KotC 2 Version 1.75​

• Graphics: Added a brand new set of high-resolution spell icons, featuring more than 600 new icons for spells and psionic powers.
  • Graphics: Expanded the set of existing spell icons. For example, there are now unique icons for each version of the Summon Elemental spells.
  • Graphics: Added a new option under 'Display' allowing you to revert to the classic set of spell icons, if you prefer that one.
6917bb46be109ec9870fae845de5d238_original.png

• Module Editor: You can use the new spell icons in scripted dialogues. This works because the format of the new spell icons is the same as the format of dialogue icons (64*64 pixels).
  • Voice Effects: Increased the volume of voice effects and non-localised sound effects, by playing them as stereo sounds even if the sound file uses the mono-channel format.
  • Sound Effects: Added a new sound effect for a metal gate or door opening: 'Door opening 4.wav'.
  • Help Entries: Improved the help entries for the feats Armour Expertise I and Armour Expertise II. Also added a link to these feats in the help entry for 'Restricted Dexterity Bonus'.
60a608f7d6154ae1535604039031f8f1_original.png

Next Steps for Knights of the Chalice 2​

The next development steps are the following:

• Work on the custom dialogue box, new story images for Augury of Chaos, and new monster sprites from 3D models. Continue work on the encounters & scenario of the upcoming KotC 2 module.
  • Work on voice effects for Critical Hits & monsters, and some voiceovers. Implement new features such as monster abilities, subraces, feats, familiars, items.
  • Fix any issues mentioned on Steam, GOG, heroicfantasygames.com, or by email.
If you have any feedback, suggestions or bug reports, please feel free to let me know here, in the Forums, or by email at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com. I appreciate it!

Deepest Thanks for Your Unwavering Support, Brave Heroes of the Realm! Enjoy ^_^

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom