Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Serus

Arcane
Patron
This is typical Pierre, this fucking Drow cunt is almost impossible to hit even with my 20 STR Fighter who has Blindfight lmaoo. He has only a 35% chance to hit when charging or some shit. Fucking insane.
This a fight to teach a few things. Including combat tricks, and the fact that not all enemies are easy to deal by direct damage. Also that a wizards who wins initiative can fuck your whole party in one cast.
You to don' have to deal with him outright, just make sure he won't cast colour spray or some other s**t disabling half o your party. Skeletons are not too hard, very low HP. The trick is to push or slide or whatever at least one of the zombies in to the "damage square". If possible do it to more enemies while grappling or keeping prone the caster or otherwise making him busy. At worst, someone staying near him might do the trick. Remember, his aoe and disabling spells are an issue, everything else is irrelevant. Also i don't remember but maybe you have someone with a good low level disabling spell like grease.

Edit:
All i had to do was to push something/someone into fire and after that it was doable. Maybe you can try to burn the caster, i did the zombies.
In addition, grapple + pin = target is not only unable to cast but also easier to hit.

Use the Force damage squares, Luke Yosharian.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Ok apparently Bards are just weird martials in this game? wtf
Haven't Bards always been weird Jack of All Trade classes
Yes, but they never had full BAB in a DnD game before. Maybe except some obscure subclasses in 3.x but other than that, almost always they had medium BAB. I'd rather think off giving full BAB to the rogue, but the latter get spells instead. At least there are some less obscure versions of rogue in 3.5 and pathfinder that can do that as well.

Yosharian

Arcane
This is typical Pierre, this fucking Drow cunt is almost impossible to hit even with my 20 STR Fighter who has Blindfight lmaoo. He has only a 35% chance to hit when charging or some shit. Fucking insane.
This a fight to teach a few things. Including combat tricks, and the fact that not all enemies are easy to deal by direct damage. Also that a wizards who wins initiative can fuck your whole party in one cast.
You to don' have to deal with him outright, just make sure he won't cast colour spray or some other s**t disabling half o your party. Skeletons are not too hard, very low HP. The trick is to push or slide or whatever at least one of the zombies in to the "damage square". If possible do it to more enemies while grappling or keeping prone the caster or otherwise making him busy. At worst, someone staying near him might do the trick. Remember, his aoe and disabling spells are an issue, everything else is irrelevant. Also i don't remember but maybe you have someone with a good low level disabling spell like grease.
All i had to do was to push something/someone into fire and after that it was doable. Maybe you can try to burn the caster, i did the zombies.
In addition, grapple + pin = target is not only unable to cast but also easier to hit.
Gee if only I could see where the fucking squares were on the battlefield. Even with the grid turned on it is fucking hard to figure out how to make targets slide where you want them to. I am getting 'unreachable' when it is clearly not the case, I try to bullrush someone who is clearly in front of a brazier and then go in some completely weird direction, etc. The perspective is fucking horrible dude.

As for the skeletons, they have significant DR and half my party is fucking useless at hitting anything. Even the mummies have +9 to hit lmaooo

Also the guy who has 50 HP is wielding a sword that does 10 bonus acid damage on hit, if anything he is as much of a threat as the caster.

This encounter is a fucking joke

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Gee if only I could see where the fucking squares were on the battlefield. Even with the grid turned on it is fucking hard to figure out how to make targets slide where you want them to. I am getting 'unreachable' when it is clearly not the case, I try to bullrush someone who is clearly in front of a brazier and then go in some completely weird direction, etc. The perspective is fucking horrible dude.

As for the skeletons, they have significant DR and half my party is fucking useless at hitting anything. Even the mummies have +9 to hit lmaooo

Also the guy who has 50 HP is wielding a sword that does 10 bonus acid damage on hit, if anything he is as much of a threat as the caster.

This encounter is a fucking joke
Well, then it is the problem with... UI? I was able to use the fire areas, they are supposed to be the key. Without those it really might be bordering on impossible. It isn't "a joke" if you can do it. One or two of the tougher enemies dealt with this way and it becomes doable.

The really fun thing about the game is that the AI knows how to use terrain as well - thankfully not in this encounter. I think.

Yosharian

Arcane
Alright with some extremely lucky rolls and that fucking cunt with the acid rapier letting himself get pushed into a brazier I was able to win it, nice fucking encounter for a tutorial Pierre you fucking shitbag.

The weapon that guy was using is worth 50k GP, np this is normal equipment for an enemy to be using vs a level 2 party

Edit: LMAO the caster had bracers of DEX +6 on him! Fucking wow.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Alright with some extremely lucky rolls and that fucking cunt with the acid rapier letting himself get pushed into a brazier I was able to win it, nice fucking encounter for a tutorial Pierre you fucking shitbag.

The weapon that guy was using is worth 50k GP, np this is normal equipment for an enemy to be using vs a level 2 party

The goal was not to make the encounter fair but the opposite: to make it virtually impossible without using the terrain. Without OP items and enemies you could do it the "normal" way. People would just reload until they beat it without learning anything.
Having said that Pierre could have done do it much better in practice. However the goal was accomplished in your case, in mine too some time ago.

This was the most bullshit encounter for me as well. Past this it becomes a more normal adventure, small but well done.

PaquoCastor

Novice
I'm a filthy popamole casual, and that maneuver battle wasn't that challenging. Took me about five tries for first victory on "normal" difficulty. And one more time to ensure no one died. One of the absolute best combat encounters I've ever played. I even had an assembly line of sliding going on at one point, but playing quién es más macho with the drow and wizard companion was more humorous. Don't forget the bard song that increases maneuver checks.

Yosharian

Arcane
I believe he was supposed to teach you how to properly use Feint, as the tutorial rogue even has the Improved Feint feat.
It wasn't feint that won the fight, but the AI fucking up by putting the guy wielding a 50k GP longsword next to the brazier at the right moment. So this 'tutorial' taught me how to reload the game over and over until the AI shit the bed.

Furthermore, it's one of the worst tutorials I've ever played. Pierre dumps 50000 lines of text every few minutes about every single facet of the game, that isn't a tutorial that's a manual in dialogue form. It's boring as fuck.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I believe he was supposed to teach you how to properly use Feint, as the tutorial rogue even has the Improved Feint feat.
It wasn't feint that won the fight, but the AI fucking up by putting the guy wielding a 50k GP longsword next to the brazier at the right moment. So this 'tutorial' taught me how to reload the game over and over until the AI shit the bed.

Furthermore, it's one of the worst tutorials I've ever played. Pierre dumps 50000 lines of text every few minutes about every single facet of the game, that isn't a tutorial that's a manual in dialogue form. It's boring as fuck.

I find it curious how people keep the mantra about melee characters being useless, but don't even try to use all the options available to them.

Still, if that encounter has only taught you to reload until you get lucky, you'll have plenty of opportunities to exercise your knowledge in the real thing.

I went in blind on Archmage (only checked off gold cost for leveling) and man, it hurts.

Yosharian

Arcane
Still, if that encounter has only taught you to reload until you get lucky, you'll have plenty of opportunities to exercise your knowledge in the real thing.
Nah, I understood what Pierre was trying to do. But the clumsy UI and awkward camera angle frustrated my initial attempts to use combat maneuvers, and the numbers are a little too extreme for my liking for a fucking tutorial.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The village is a better tutorial but when you're done with the main game, maybe after playing it twice and after playing Hearkenwold, the tutorial is a nice short module.

Ok, I'm going :
  • Kobold Red Wiz
  • Human Black Wiz
  • Elf Psion
  • Drake Fighter
  • Mantis Rogue
  • Centaur DK
For my Archmage (no gold and more feats) Ironman run.
Probably with fire druid and pizarra or the monk if he's good enough.

I barely used necro spells so far, aside from malison on some tough enemies so i'll try to fix that. I'll miss the Barbarian, he's fucking good early on.

I was just thinking about trying a prismatic wall for the Spider Queen fight since I've never tried it.
Silence + Prismatic wall + fighters behind her and some summons on the other side, probably malison once she spawns, ectoplasmic cocoon worked once so it might work again and there's also the guaranteed 1 level drain aoe (probably if not resisted) which might remove her some spells.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
The village is a better tutorial but when you're done with the main game, maybe after playing it twice and after playing Hearkenwold, the tutorial is a nice short module.

Ok, I'm going :
  • Kobold Red Wiz
  • Human Black Wiz
  • Elf Psion
  • Drake Fighter
  • Mantis Rogue
  • Centaur DK
For my Archmage (no gold and more feats) Ironman run.
Probably with fire druid and pizarra or the monk if he's good enough.

I barely used necro spells so far, aside from malison on some tough enemies so i'll try to fix that. I'll miss the Barbarian, he's fucking good early on.

I was just thinking about trying a prismatic wall for the Spider Queen fight since I've never tried it.
Silence + Prismatic wall + fighters behind her and some summons on the other side, probably malison once she spawns, ectoplasmic cocoon worked once so it might work again and there's also the guaranteed 1 level drain aoe (probably if not resisted) which might remove her some spells.
What proficiencies does Jorad have btw?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Took me about five tries for first victory on "normal" difficulty.

:kingcomrade:
There is little difference in that case. What difficulties do mostly is changing long term balance, number of feats, having to pay for levelling, etc... Things that make the game easier/harder because your party becomes stronger or weaker. The change in combat itself are the initiative penalty for the AI on Normal and Hard and higher dying threshold - on per level basis on Normal. Let's forget easy. The initiative plays a big role, the bigger the stronger enemy, especially casters get but only Archmage by default doesn't have the penalty for AI. Btw a 25% penalty doesn't guarantee anything, just makes it much more likely.

You have tons of talking in the tutorial but you can skip it with a click or two (and suffer in consequence). The tutorial itself is very nice in my opinion, past that combat.
No one reads manuals these days and the game is demanding. You will ALWAYS remember that lesson, in all Pierre modules. And so do I.
:smug:

tbh the tutorial is harder than the first and second act of the main game
Yes but i think it was a good kind of difficulty. Mostly.

Did you start the ironman run yet?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
:avatard:

Gaem too hard. Filtered by the tutorial. Welcome to RPG Codex, home of true, monocled gamers.

So what I'm hearing here is that visionary designer Pierre Begue listened to all the whining about difficulty and created a tutorial that will tutor players to be able to more easily pass the first two acts of the game. Genius! :smug:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
:avatard:

Gaem too hard. Filtered by the tutorial. Welcome to RPG Codex, home of true, monocled gamers.

So what I'm hearing here is that visionary designer Pierre Begue listened to all the whining about difficulty and created a tutorial that will tutor players to be able to more easily pass the first two acts of the game. Genius! :smug:
He also created a sort of "prologue" that is more difficult than the first chapter and half of the game. This is why everyone loves him. Or hates him but it is hard to remain unaffected by his "design" choices if you play his games.

Yes, still in Finchbury and trying to plan my course. Hardest part in Finchbury will be the vanishing sword quest.
I agree, the fight with the Sharkmen was probably the most difficult one in Finchbury for me. Perhaps the one in that quest where you fight a lot of melee only in a very small room too. I had a domain that prevents surprise round so it was easy for me but i don't know how it is otherwise. The good thing is that it is Finchbury, the beginning of the game and after that you have an easier time for a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom