Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware KOTOR 2 Restoration Project (not the Restored Content Mod)

MetalCraze

Arcane
inwoker said:
skyway said:
really it is impossible to continue the story - how will you make a game about Revan and Exile beyond the outer rim?
I don't see any difficulties here.

well for one - nobody really knows how real - the first sith look. (Revan and Exile went to fight them in a case of "good" ending) and I'd prefer it to remain that way - because the mystery will be lost otherwise - and knowing bioware - the initial sith may look very banal.
the second reason is - Revan and Exile were player characters. now imagine how it will ruin your experience if Bioware will decide to make them NPCs. letting you to take one of them as your main character is also not an option - they are epic level characters now + it will mean too much railroading - yes it could've worked based on a poll you take before starting the game to determine what logical storyline your character will get - but I really doubt Bioware will bother with that much non-linearity. and also you can take only 1 character - that means the other one will have to be a NPC. which leads to the problem stated above.
so I would have preferred to leave KotOR1/KotOR2 storylines behind and start a totally new story - not connected with Revan's/Exile's crusade against real sith beyond the outer rim (plus MCA put it well and with that needed dose of mystery). and I hope Bioware will do that... but... it's Bioware. you can expect some emo fairy-tale with banal characters again.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, I don't believe that somebody would be that stupid to do revan or exile as npc. They would take fallout 2 approach to vault dweller.

MetalCraze

Arcane
it's called a new story. but exactly this approach won't work. we have two guys went beyond the outer rim. so having another one related to that story will be kinda lame.

Fez

Erudite
It was such a clever hoax he even fools them after release. What a genius.

racofer

Thread Incliner
It even got banned at moddb. The most hilarious part is that people donated so he could upgrade his computer and finish the mod. lulz

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
racofer said:
It even got banned at moddb. The most hilarious part is that people donated so he could upgrade his computer and finish the mod. lulz
Pure genius. Like the other guy that threatened to kill a bunny if he didn't get 50.000 $ of donations. Guess what , the bunny is saved and he is 50.000$ richer. http://www.savetoby.com/

Fez

Erudite
I enjoyed reading the threads where people defended that modder to the end, despite everyone explaining to them the obvious signs that it was all a rip-off.

denizsi

Arcane
Actually, it isn't exactly a hoax but an incredible failure of a modding attempt with possible plagiarism. The currently available download has brought up virus alerts with many people but I've also seen people who apparently downloaded it, installed it without problems and played it. There were also some technical explanations of the virus alerts, but I can't say I understood any of it.

So, reportedly, the mod actually has content that mimics the movie scenes in five (5) SP maps, but near-everything in the mod -models, graphics, maps etc., ie. the game content- belongs to numerous authors in the modding community. There is also a credits page on the project website where either a full or a partial list of all original authors are credited.

From the posts I've read, installing and running the mod is such a hassle that, compared to the reportedly exciting game experience which lasts only 5 minutes, it's absolutely not worth it. Again, according to people who has played the mod, there is original movie footage from various scenes from the movies and they are encoded so badly, they take up unreasonably large amounts of space and with a shitty quality. People also say that the whole mod is packaged as one .exe file, which obviously adds to the suspicions and rightly so, and the whole thing has a terrible compression ratio.

The "hoax" part kicks in with the guy's incredibly snobbish and arrogant stupid attitude and inability to maintain a healthy and critical communication with others. I've read his own posts on related threads in unrelated forums and have seen that he literally can not stand any critical comment. Everyone obviously has to praise his work and if one isn't doing that, (s)he is either jealous of his work, or (s)he is deliberately trying to undermine his efforts.

He also claims that he has permission for every other third party content from their respective authors. Now, I haven't seen any "this motherfucker has stolen my work!" type of messages myself from an actual content author on teh interwebz so far (I didn't look that hard to find one, though) and considering the amount of work he used, I guess he may indeed have permission from authors (imagining that I'd easily stumble upon at least one author complaining about that), though there is confusion over the donations and how the whole thing was/is promoted. However, what he has working SO hard (as he often puts it, being a one-man "team") to create in 5 years seems to be an insignificant mish-mash of 3rd party content. However, if you're to listen to the guy, this is only the "part 1" of the mod.

There is some more shit from him and from people who has played the mod that can explain some other stuff, but I just don't care to go into further detail.

Overall, I think it's a hoax in the way it created expectations and failed to deliver. However, it actually exists and reportedly, what was seen in videos weren't fake or so I'm told. So all I can see is the self-inflicted drudgery of a snobbish little control-freak with self-images of grandeur. He probably worships what he has put together, borrowing from other people.

Personally I wouldn't like to have anything to do with him or his mish-mash of others' mods.

That said, I'm downloading the huge trailer (800 mb) and hopefully it won't give me any warnings from my firewall and AV software. So if it looks that fucking wonderful as everyone out there puts it, I may give it a try.. in a virtual Windows XP, just in case it does have trojans and the like.

Raapys

Arcane
Hasn't given me any viruses or trojans that I can see. As for the mod itself, it's not too bad. There's some neat character switching system that you can use for single-player. There's also a couple of new sword fighting styles that are much cooler than the three original ones. Other than that though, there's not anything truely amazing with the mod.

MetalCraze

Arcane
it seems team-gizka actually decided not only to restore content but somewhat change the game mechanics.

in the right way:

nooneatall said:
Will the game now tell me how much influence I earned/have with the characters?

Darth Windu said:

now one of the things I disliked about KotOR2 was this "influence" indicator. so it seems now when you will fuck something up with Kreia you won't know for sure that you really fucked up something. so no quickload-after-incorrect-dialogue, bitch.
damn I want this mod now.
also DW said that gaining influence will be -much more- difficult now. which is a good move to please hardcore fags.

however this world won't be full without dumb retards:
RandomPrecision said:
It's understandable if, with the new influence system, I'm unable to fully unlock every NPC story, or even if I'm unable to make every force-sensitive NPC into a jedi. But if I'm going to require a list of places where each NPC can gain influence, or require a specific planet order to 'jedify' multiple companions, this seems like a significant increase in difficulty, and most likely, a decrease in replayability.

Starwars

Arcane
One thing that kinda have me worried is how many people reported that the difficulty was really high in some areas now. Now, don't get me wrong, I like myself a challenging game. But since the KOTOR combat system generally *really* sucks I'd hate for it to turn into some reload fest. They could definetely push it a bit more than in the vanilla game though.

I like them removing the influence messages.

MetalCraze

Arcane
really? well I hope they didn't make combat that hard as KotOR's combat is something I want to quickly skip too each time I play the game.

but I can't be unhappy that actual roleplaying elements will be much closer to good ol' times and you won't be able to unlock every single character's story in just one walkthrough. it makes me a happy panda.

obediah

Erudite
skyway said:
however this world won't be full without dumb retards:
RandomPrecision said:
It's understandable if, with the new influence system, I'm unable to fully unlock every NPC story, or even if I'm unable to make every force-sensitive NPC into a jedi. But if I'm going to require a list of places where each NPC can gain influence, or require a specific planet order to 'jedify' multiple companions, this seems like a significant increase in difficulty, and most likely, a decrease in replayability.

It's an epiphany! I always thought that the key to replayability was offering different experiences based on player choices. But now I know, make a game that quickly rolls over for the munchkin pwner crowd and they will play it over and over!

MetalCraze

Arcane
but wait. more complaining retards this way:

Silence Override said:
Meh. I'll still be using the save game editor to get the desired influence. :(

Malachi said:
I'm very, very disappointed that I won't be able to get everybody's full stories in TSLRP. That was the very reason why I love playing TSL over and over - it's not skirmish and not XP gain, but the character's stories: to get everything from everyone while trying to stay as much Light OR Dark aligned as possible. And now, in the Restoration Project everybody's been waiting for years for, I cannot do that (unless somebody will release a mod that combines the restored content with the original influence system, which is unlikely). This can only mean that TSL isn't perfect and cannot replace the original game completely - you will still need to play unaltered game to gather everything from the party members on the single playthrough. Very, very sad indeed :(

I really hope Team Gizka won't change the way they are doing it because of those people.

sah

Liturgist
Most of the time influence gain/loss is clear, but I recall some instances when it is otherwise. I consider them bugs.

I somewhat understand people complaining, since it is a restoration mod you would want to see as much restored content as possible on your first play-through.

jaylittle

Scholar
I can't believe one of the betas has yet to make it to the net. Of course I'm beginning to believe that there may not be that much to leak. It seems as if there is still a long way to go before Gizka releases anything.

MetalCraze

Arcane
@sah: but they don't complain about not being able to see the whole restored content in a single playthrough (which is a good thing - I for one will want to see much more new things every time I'll replay KotOR2 and I will replay it again and again if TSLRP will be that good). they are complaining that the game will be difficult and will restrict them from something (I really hated how you can become everybody's best friend forever in KotORs by just saying what they wanted to hear - now you will have to choose, because f.e. Visas and Handmaiden don't really go well together according to the cut content. which is of course good for replayability)

racofer

Thread Incliner
The only problem I see about this is that TSLRP was about restoring content, not modding the game into what they believe it should be. I would rather have two patch options if that's what they are doing, one with only restored content and another with these optional "enhancements". It's not that I don't like a challenge, but as it has already been said, Kotor combat system is somewhat clumsy, and I don't really care anymore if the game remains too easy, I just want to see it game restored to what it was supposed to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom