Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware KOTOR 2 Restoration Project (not the Restored Content Mod)

-Pavlos-

Novice
skyway said:
now one of the things I disliked about KotOR2 was this "influence" indicator. so it seems now when you will fuck something up with Kreia you won't know for sure that you really fucked up something. so no quickload-after-incorrect-dialogue, bitch.
damn I want this mod now.
You've got the wrong end of the stick there, skyway. The game will still tell you if you've lost or gained influence with your party members it just won't give you a numerical value; not that it ever did, mind.

Yeah, influence has now been graded but it's not Team Gizka fiddling with the mechanics. It's them restoring the mechanics :)

Code:
// a_influence_inc
/* Parameter Count: 2

Increases an NPC's influence.

Param1 - The NPC value of the player whose influence is increased.
Param2 - magnitude of influence change:
    1 - low
    2 - medium
    3 - high
    all others - medium

NPC numbers, as specified in NPC.2da

0       Atton
1       BaoDur
2       Mand
3       g0t0
4       Handmaiden
5       hk47
6       Kreia
7       Mira
8       T3m4
9       VisasMarr
10      Hanharr
11      Disciple

*/
//
// KDS 06/16/04
void main()
{

int nInfluenceLow = 8;
int nInfluenceMedium = 8;
int nInfluenceHigh = 8;

int nNPC = GetScriptParameter(1);
int nImpact = GetScriptParameter(2);
int nInfluenceChange;

switch (nImpact)

{
    case 1:
        nInfluenceChange = nInfluenceLow;
        break;
    case 2:
        nInfluenceChange = nInfluenceMedium;
        break;
    case 3:
        nInfluenceChange = nInfluenceHigh;
        break;
    default:
        nInfluenceChange = nInfluenceMedium;
        break;
}

ModifyInfluence (nNPC, nInfluenceChange);

}
That's the original, unedited script.

The game had tiered influence checks but from what we can tell, they realised that it was impossible to get enough influence with your companions and it was much quicker -- remember the tight schedule -- to just set all the influence shifts to the max (8). You will now have low, medium, and high hits (as in NWN2). You won't know which was which but I think common sense will be able to tell you that Atton would object more to you using Force Persuade on him than you kicking a cat. :)

MetalCraze

Arcane
well remove that indicator fully then. it's dumb. also it's PC platform we're talking here - so feel free to undumb-down the game. because the only point of that indicator is to tell the player that he had chosen the stupid option which will lead to "omg no! I will quickload now and try something else". even in KotOR1 which was shallow compared to the 2nd installment we didn't have indicators.

-Pavlos-

Novice
skyway said:
well remove that indicator fully then. it's dumb. also it's PC platform we're talking here - so feel free to undumb-down the game. because the only point of that indicator is to tell the player that he had chosen the stupid option which will lead to "omg no! I will quickload now and try something else". even in KotOR1 which was shallow compared to the 2nd installment we didn't have indicators.
Well, I'd love to have indicators removed; I've noticed that when a game doesn't scream at you about things like alignment shifts you care far less about what alignment your character has and more about roleplaying. But, unfortunately, it's the team's prerogative to do so and even if they wanted to, they couldn't do it anyway -- the feedback is built into the Influence system.

Sorry :(

MetalCraze

Arcane
goddamnit. then I hope someone someday will remove that indicator (KotOR1 didn't have it, so I presume it's quite possible).

also does TG really want to fix -all- bugs before the release considering that bug reports are constantly flowing in making it to be like an infinite loop?

-Pavlos-

Novice
skyway said:
goddamnit. then I hope someone someday will remove that indicator (KotOR1 didn't have it, so I presume it's quite possible).
KotOR didn't have the Influence system; it was a mechanic implemented by Obsidian to make character relationships more dynamic and ultimately have consequences in the end-game when your party members either turn on each other or team up to fight Kreia... and fail miserably.

The ending of K2, from what I can tell, was always supposed to be a downer, a trailing end that led to a third game. The short schedule didn't result in them having to cut the awesome celebration and medal giving ceremony of doom, it resulted in them cutting the bitter consequences of you completely pissing off your companions and promoting in-fighting.

The ending's supposed to channel the Empire Strikes Back, like much of the game is.

I'm not quite sure how I managed to rant about the ending or what relevance it has to your question but there we go. These things happen...

skyway said:
also does TG really want to fix -all- bugs before the release considering that bug reports are constantly flowing in making it to be like an infinite loop?
Yes.

Texas Red

Whiner
Skyway, do you ignore capitalization of letters because you're just lazy or want to be too cool for school?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, I'd love to have indicators removed; I've noticed that when a game doesn't scream at you about things like alignment shifts you care far less about what alignment your character has and more about roleplaying. But, unfortunately, it's the team's prerogative to do so and even if they wanted to, they couldn't do it anyway -- the feedback is built into the Influence system.
Exactly, the fact that after each meaningful conversation you get to know instantly whether you've gained or lost influence, forces the quickload solution. Consequences to your actions should be shown much later ,so that you can't go back and change them. This way you can truly roleplay, without the frustration of constantly trying to find the "right" choice.

Is it certain you can't modify the feedback to just show a blank line or something?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyone who will use TSLRP will have played KOTOR 2 so often to pass the wait that they know all the influence choices by heart now.

Chefe

Erudite
Dark Individual said:
Skyway, do you ignore capitalization of letters because you're just lazy or want to be too cool for school?

///////// <-- The Grain
\ <-- Skyway

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jasede said:
Anyone who will use TSLRP will have played KOTOR 2 so often to pass the wait that they know all the influence choices by heart now.

No.

Exactly, the fact that after each meaningful conversation you get to know instantly whether you've gained or lost influence, forces the quickload solution. Consequences to your actions should be shown much later ,so that you can't go back and change them. This way you can truly roleplay, without the frustration of constantly trying to find the "right" choice.

Word.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Eh, it doesn't really matter, because there really weren't major consequences to gaining influence with party members, except Kreia.

Really, the most you got for it was being able to train some of them as Jedi. In a game as easy as KotOR 2, making party members a little stronger serves no purpose. And apart from that, it only satisfied minor curiosity about their past, and was mostly inconsequential. Even finding out Atton's and GOTO's true nature didn't really feel like a big deal. Yes, it's a surprise when you first find this out, but it makes no difference in the end.

But like I said, it was different with Kreia, because she gave you training in certain abilities, and she gave some actual insight into what was happening in the story.

Atleast in NWN2, having influence with a certain party member determined whether he or she would be on your side when a critical moment approached. In MotB, party members would use their own special skills to help you if you had enough influence with them. But in KotOR2, it was completely arbitrary.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jasede said:

I've completed it almost 4 times, but the last one was like 3 years ago or something, so I don't remember many things. and totally don't remember my choices.
so I actually would be grateful if TG will be able to mess up the influence messages text or simply making the message empty. (though still showing this message will mean that your choice have triggered influence shift and that will distract from concentrating on roleplaying tbh.)

Wyrmlord said:
Eh, it doesn't really matter, because there really weren't major consequences to gaining influence with party members, except Kreia.

there were. they are cut content which TG restores. remember the ending of NWN2 OC? the same should've happened in KotOR2 I believe.

-Pavlos-

Novice
ghostdog said:
Is it certain you can't modify the feedback to just show a blank line or something?
The team won't do it. Doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't :)

The feedback screens aren't controlled by any 2DAs but I suppose you could change the dialog.tlk entries at 48607 and 48608 to blank strings. You'd also have to replace the little plus and minus signs (not sure of the file names) with transparency. You'd be left with a blank message box every time there was an influence shift so it's still a bit messy... and you'd still know that a shift was taking place.

MetalCraze

Arcane
but it is at least something. will take note.
I wonder if it's possible to ask someone from Obsidian to release a modified exe which won't show that message. I don't think that it's much more than just 1-2 variables that are responsible for showing or not showing that window.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jasede said:

I never got around to finishing the game after I heard about this project.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I finnished it. I still weep occasionally when I walk past my KoToR 2 cds...

-Pavlos-

Novice
Clicky

OK, I haven't modded in God knows how long but I threw this togther. Place all files with a *.ncs extension into the Override folder of your KotOR II game directory. What this does is create an influence system based on things called local numbers which are set on individual creatures. This means that you should not get status summaries when you have an influence shift.

It's entirely untested so you'll have to check and see if you can pass any influence checks on your own. It also doesn't affect the alignment of your party members like the normal system but that's simply because I can't be bothered fiddling with all of that at the moment.

I included the source files for the curious.

Edit: Let me know if it works.

jaylittle

Scholar
It seems I got banned from the TG forums for my latest round of mass PMs to the beta team, asking for a copy of the latest TSLRP beta. Can't say I'm too sorry. The forums have literally disintegrated into the most mind-numbing conversations you've seen as pretty much everybody has run out of things to talk about while they wait endlessly for this thing. Even the beta testers aren't posting a whole lot anymore minus the occasional update to their individual threads.

Oh well, I tried my best to get my grubby fingers on this thing to see just how real it is. Can't say I'm too convinced thus far, but deep down I'm hoping that I'm dead wrong. KOTOR2 being fixed would be absolutely wonderful.

Arem

Scholar
Darth_Windu said:
Just to let everyone here know as well, I received a Private Message on the Team Gizka forums, asking me to give a copy of the TSLRP beta to a 'group of concerned TSL fans' because they're supposedly worried that the project will never be completed and released.

To be perfectly clear on this issue - I will not, ever, give ANYONE a copy of the TSLRP beta unless specifically asked to be Team Gizka. Therefore, do not ask me or anyone else associated with the project. Personally I find it offensive that this 'group' thought I would betray the truth TG has placed in myself and the other testers.
:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom