Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LARPFEST

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
smrqdh.jpg

fucking necron loli...

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Awesome update!

So now we have total power vacuum in the warp, a chance for harmonious presence of human minds in there perhaps? No more gods, no more Emperor, just many small minds working together... Wouldn't be grimdark enough though.

As for choices - B seems most wise to me but being story fag I would really like to know the contents of the scroll (please don't make it rosebud or somesuch ;))

Votan C. It would be nice to know what resistance we can meet enroute though.

Kayerts

Arcane
Who else would have been at Nikaea!

Well, a lot of guys, actually.

But yeah, it's probably Ahriman. There was also the part where Madhatta's titan bore the colors of the Thousand Sons. And his power level and general background seem like a good match for Ahriman's. And the whole part when VD was going on in carefully vague terms about the operative smelled heavily of authorial misdirection.

Still, given the provenance of the box and our continued inability to match VD muscle for muscle, C seems best.

And guess what the small metal globe might be

Sensory stone containing the Emperor's last memory before ascending to the Golden Throne, as well as his True Name?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think we could have stood a chance of killing the swarmlord for good in hindsight: The warp problems might have meant that the swarmlords consciousness would not have been able to get saved upon death and he could not resurrect. A shame.

grotsnik

Arcane
B! Looks like it won't win, but I cannot support this decision to miss out on invading Earth for the sake of a trip to the library. It just lacks a certain...something.

Kayerts

Arcane
Storyfag said:
I was rather thinking along the lines of: the Excession. Do not ask me how it got there, but I have a feeling this is it.

Could be. (My other guess was that it was the Astral Dominae. Game designers love simple geometric solids.)

I don't understand either the Excession or the box. Here's what we know about the box; add to it if I've left anything out:

(1) originally in the possession of Malcador
(2) Malcador traded it to the Deceiver in exchange for the Emperor Recipe
(3) The Deceiver proceeded to carry it around for the next 39,000 years, unopened, until getting stabbed in the face by his C'tan bro.
(4) Jeremiah looted it following our expert handling of the Marius Hax affair and has been carting it around for the past thousand years.
(5) It opened right after we renounced Slaanesh, and all his works, and all his pomps. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc?

Here's what we know about the Excession:

(1) Root apparently likes Iain M. Banks.
(2) It may contain Black Sand Land, i.e. where the Outsider hangs out.
(3) It was the birthplace of the Chaos Gods.
(4) Use of communications considered harmful.

Jaedar said:
I think we could have stood a chance of killing the swarmlord for good in hindsight: The warp problems might have meant that the swarmlords consciousness would not have been able to get saved upon death and he could not resurrect. A shame.

Yeah, you're probably right, although I'm not clear on the relative crippling effects of the shockwave on us versus Iblis. We did just lose all our daemons. Also, it sounds like the Hivemind got knocked on its ass; when it collects itself, it may find that its grip on its fleets isn't as complete as it used to be.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I think most of us aren't gigantic 40k lorefags, root. :)

Like you said yourself, the plot has gotten quite convoluted. All the long discussions of pros and cons were well and good when it was just the Exuberant Angels and the BROkeeper. Nowadays, most of us ar ebarely haning on to the plot and just voting whichever shit seems to bring the most short-term lulz :P

I have no idea what a Nikea is and why you decided it should be bolded. I'm pretty sure at least half the people who read this thread havne't a clue either.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
So Ahriman made it out alive after all.... Well, he likely was/is the greatest psyker after TEH EMPRAH!

Would have voted A, but it seems like C already won. That's what you get for not loggin daily I guess.

Kayerts

Arcane
Ulminati said:
I think most of us aren't gigantic 40k lorefags, root. :) [..]
I have no idea what a Nikea is and why you decided it should be bolded. I'm pretty sure at least half the people who read this thread havne't a clue either.

That seems fair.

Here's my crack at deciphering the meaning of the two relevant quotes:

"You're possibly the worst of the lot, you know, Fulgrim? You, who stood by our side at Nikea, and did nothing." Lucius spat, still reeling from the psychic shockwave

The Council of Nikea occurred shortly before the Horus Heresy; its goal was to establish whether the use of sorcery had a place in the Imperium and particularly among the Space Marines. The primary advocates of its continued use in battle were the Thousand Sons of Magnus the Red, supported by Sanguinius of the Blood Angels and Fulgrim of the Emperor's Children.

This, combined with other clues mentioned on the previous page, suggests that Lucius is Ahriman, who may have somehow survived having a god and then a planet exploded on top of him.

A scroll written in a language he could not understand. Elethiomel said that was the language of the Old Ones; its knowledge preserved only in the texts of the Black Library and in the minds of whomever had read them, deep within the Webway.

On Page 142 of this thread:

...Ahriman shrugged. He had been inside the Black Library, after all.

(It's worth mentioning that this never happened in lore, and I think this is the only mention of it in this thread.)

So, Ahriman/Lucius could decode the scroll for us, if we get it to him. Which Jeremiah doesn't know is a smart move, even if we do. And this is of course assuming we trust Ahriman, which is a big assumption. Nothing says "trustworthy duder" like betraying the Emperor, then running his legion into the ground, and finally engineering the demise of his Chaos God. Although given that Jeremiah shares that exact career path, maybe he's just the man for the job.

Judging from Root's aggravation, we shouldn't have worried about any of that, though. I'd flip-flop to A if that's was still allowed, but it seems like it's not.

Baltika

Educated
I vote C. Although I doubt Kharn, being his swell sealf, will sit and wait fpr us to begin the assault.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Righty, so we went full herp derp and didn't realise that Ahriman could translate the scroll for us. Shame, but what's done is done. Now...

MOAR

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom