Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LARPFEST

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The WH40K universe was a silly one anyway. :smug:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Good old Tyranids invade and burn (nom) down your home planet and you, the hapless farmboy protagonist with mysterious powers who may/may not be the reincarnation of the Emperor with genetically spiky hair, are forced on a galactic journey of growth and self-realization to save the galaxy by visiting four ancient Old One artifacts, picking up a motley crew along the way.

Cute but stuck-up Eldar princess, jolly Ork mercenary with a heart of gold, veteran human ex-Inquisitor mentor, sexy female Tzeentchian sorceress who may betray the party (or not), and your very own pet Necron dog.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Damn.

We fucked up. Royally.

Even worse than Act 1.
:salute:

As for Act 3... I can only see one solution to not playing an entire race, and that is playing some kind of manipulative deity, like the eldar or the Deceiver(were he not dead).

Kayerts

Arcane
Possibilities for how to make the game playable seem to revolve around some power great enough to credibly oppose the Swarm and/or the Dragon. Which necessarily makes those possibilities more retarded, but here are a bunch of ideas:

1. Whatever happened to the Emperor? I know he died, but it was never explained how. His presence is presumably causing a stir in the warp. Or you could do something with the Star Child?

Play as the head of the Illuminati, maybe; work to call the Emperor back from the Warp, so that he can throw the Dragon back into its cage.

2. The Old Ones were not dead, but dreaming. As a consequence of the device activating (...somehow!), they return from exile to defend their creation. Orks, Eldar, all their child-races rise to serve them. Maybe even Chaos aids them; after all, if the psychic races are eaten by the Tyranids, or if the Void Dragon separates the Immaterium from the Materium, Chaos will die.

We play as a leader of the Old Ones; our actions determine how many of the subject races unite under our banner, what they do, etc.

3. Actually, Chaos on its own--if it were ever truly undivided--would pose a credible threat even to the enthroned Dragon, no? Tzeentch took a beating, but Khorne, Nurgle, and Slaanesh are still at full strength. And now that the gods' very existence is truly threatened, for the first time in history, they would have reason to line up behind Abaddon as they never had before, not as bickering warbands but as a truly desperate and unified horde. Play as Abaddon, play politics with primarchs and daemon princes, etc.

Alternative to the above, or in conjunction with it, here are some ideas for plot elements that would allow the various evils to be confronted at saner power levels:

1. Is the Hive Mind physically incarnated anywhere? I.e., would a raid to destroy whatever-it-is on Cadia do anything? What about if Zombie-Deceiver is assassinated? Both of these might be manageable without giving us truly retarded power levels.

2. Can the Outsider's power somehow be leveraged, controlled, even while he remains imprisoned?

3. The holocaust in Calixis and trembling across the Imperium, building since the Emperor's death, creates a new Chaos God. (...of fear, or possibly despair) The Fall of Man takes place, on an even greater scale than the Fall of the Eldar. The galaxy is no longer a cyclops; it gains a second Eye of Terror where Terra once sat. The Dragon is destroyed utterly in the cataclysm--Marius Hax retroactively succeeds in his mission, doing with incompetence what no amount of cunning could have achieved.

(This has the advantage of removing one of the two impossibly powerful Big Bads from play while introducing a more manageable one. (The nascent Chaos God.))

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I like the sound of option 1.
The 'we try and bring back the emperor' part.
Perhaps we play as the final remnants of the Ordo Malleus, trying to make one last pilgrimage into the warp to try and find the Star Child, with the entire experience being similar to the 'Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite' segment of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Or maybe they can go through a webway gate instead, that'd make more sense of such a surreal event.
My god...It's full of heretics!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Kayerts said:
3. The holocaust in Calixis and trembling across the Imperium, building since the Emperor's death, creates a new Chaos God. (...of fear, or possibly despair) The Fall of Man takes place, on an even greater scale than the Fall of the Eldar. The galaxy is no longer a cyclops; it gains a second Eye of Terror where Terra once sat. The Dragon is destroyed utterly in the cataclysm--Marius Hax retroactively succeeds in his mission, doing with incompetence what no amount of cunning could have achieved.
This is honestly what we deserve
:thumbsup:

Hoodoo

Arcane
:(
regret flip flopping now, o well

as for act III:

You could do a battlestar galactica kinda thing, with the Tau on the run from a galaxy that is essentially fucked, wrap up a few loose ends and mebbe end it all on a hopeful note.

with our track record though we will prob just end up flip flopping alot and then find ourselves getting pooped out of the Void Dragons butthole as the Outsider turns the rest of our race into trannyborn :rpgcodex:

anyways, :salute: root

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I bet next time we gonna play the only force that can save the galaxy...
20090123110154-ork7.jpg
DA ORKZ, AIN'T 'HAT RAIGHT BOYZ?!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
root said:
he's dead. you'd have to create a new one. i sure as hell ain't gonna pull a deus ex emprah out of my ass just to save the day. gotta make more sense than that.

mind you, he is a creation...as far as canon is concerned. he's not natural. so I suppose it could be done again.

'course, we can always try to focus on a small scale thingie. should be more manageable. after all, what mankind needs right now is a man who's not afraid to do what needs doing, a man who knows how to command, knows how to make hard choices, knows how to make people stand by him. a man like

commander shepard

:yeah:

I'm Commander Shephard, and this is my favourite LP on the Codex :salute:

We dun screwed that last one up but good. Perhaps now Codexia will realize that in 40k, you must make the grimdark choice, not the multikult, to succeed.

Hopefully we get some cool stuff for act 3. Like the BROkeeper and BROrhiman or a jolly band of Orks in a giant space rokk. No Tau gayness, pl0x.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ulminati said:
root said:
he's dead. you'd have to create a new one. i sure as hell ain't gonna pull a deus ex emprah out of my ass just to save the day. gotta make more sense than that.

mind you, he is a creation...as far as canon is concerned. he's not natural. so I suppose it could be done again.

'course, we can always try to focus on a small scale thingie. should be more manageable. after all, what mankind needs right now is a man who's not afraid to do what needs doing, a man who knows how to command, knows how to make hard choices, knows how to make people stand by him. a man like

commander shepard

:yeah:

I'm Commander Shephard, and this is my favourite LP on the Codex :salute:

We dun screwed that last one up but good. Perhaps now Codexia will realize that in 40k, you must make the grimdark choice, not the multikult, to succeed.

Hopefully we get some cool stuff for act 3. Like the BROkeeper and BROrhiman or a jolly band of Orks in a giant space rokk. No Tau gayness, pl0x.

I thought it was the soul devouring grimdarkierness that got us all into this mess in the first place?

I'd like Orky (mis)adventures leaping from system to system on a giant rokk. Think Scooby Doo Mystery Machine except green and with more dakka. Jinkiez.

Though that with the state of grimdarkity the galaxy is in, that might not be too suitable an act.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why not? Orks were made by Old Ones to fight C'tan and Necrons. It seems that now would be perfect time for them to get to work. I'm sure they will be happy to get as much dakka as possible and get all the teef of their enemies.

rageaholic

Novice
Orks would be awesome, playing the role of a warboss trying to get a right proper WAAAAAGH going. And they are of course one of the major players in the galaxy no matter how disorganized they are.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Fuck, I was joking about the Orkz...

This is not going to end well for us, does it? :(

commander shepard
Honestly, do you faggots never learn? The X-treme did not work in act one, it did not work in act 2, so hay guise, lets try to make it work in act 3!

This sounds p cool.

That, or can't we play as someone within the reformed imperium? Someone from the high-up navigator families for example, that are relatively close to power and sees the transformation that happens when the void dragon sits upon the throne of terra.

Also, please clarify a couple of things: Did both the deceiver and the reaper die? And what happened to khaine, does he still live?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The more I think of it the more orks seem suitable to fix the whole situation. They are not susceptible to chaos (at least I don't remember seeing any chaos orks in canon), they don't care about the warp, they are not afraid to die and there's lots of them. They just need to get a good warboss to make a nice waaaagh! for them to fight in. And, in case humanity dies, I would much prefer Orks to stay than for some ugly fuckers like tyranids.

The only downside is that I really loathe the orcs as a concept. They make no sense.

First of all, because all of their pathetic charges could be completely evaporated by WWI artillery; second, because their system of reproduction makes no sense; third, because their machines and space travel would all be completely wtfpwned by anything more advanced, since they don't have any computers that can assist them with aiming.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I told you bros to blow up the whole bloody thing and take everything to hell with it.

BUT YOU WOULDN'T LISTEN

The X-treme did not work in act one, it did not work in act

What fucking X-TREME?

Just what fucking X-TREME?

Both acts were filled with completely idiotic safe choices that were anything but X-TREME (and yes, devouring like mad was also a 'safe' choice because everyone was like 'omg o noz, we can't venture into the dreaded middleground, let's go full retard instead!!!' ), while the shrugged off extreme options were confirmed as the better ones, that would benefit us a lot.

And hey guise, yeah, let's play orks. I wanna see Codexers guiding them in such a way, that they will think ten times before attacking anything, and when they finally decide to do so, they will first have to entrench and consult the Imperial Guard. If they don't try using diplomacy, that is.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
With the Codex as the guiding hand, :monocle: ork is not an impossibility, good chap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom