Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LARPFEST

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
this flip flopping is nonsense, root maybe you should just choose whichever YOU want us to do next. We are all divided anyways.

Also: considering developments, flip-flopping to Eldar.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
We had the same issue in the illustrious Barbarians LP. Wwe used a preferrential voting scheme on one of the votes. I made the mistake of compiling a tally before voting closed and the even bigger mistake of posting it in the thread. The hivemind cannot into not metagaming, and there was a ginormous amount of retrded flip-flopping as people tried to sabotage the main contenders to their preferred vote rather than actually listing the choices in their order of preferrence.

FLIPFLOP FROM CHAOS TO HIVE FLEET :SMUG:

1-12774070261.gif

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
root said:
perhaps a preferential voting scheme would make more sense here (considering we're still tied with this flip-flop nonsense).

So...I guess everybody has to cast their votes again for all five factions and rank them in order of preference? that's how it works? then I calculate the points and blam?

That would, indeed, make sense, but the prospect of going through this soap opera of a vote once again is a terrible thing to contemplate... What we truly need is to find a way of casting secret ballots. With a secret ballot, even if you could still flip-flop, you would have much less incentives to do it because you wouldn't know what the others voted, thus removing the retarded metagaming we're seeing.

Oh, and if we're going with the preferential voting scheme, then we shouldn't allow any flip-flopping. Otherwise, this would become even more of a clusterfuck.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
skuphundaku said:
treave said:
Or you could say first one to reach 7 votes wins.

That would be retarded

What's with the butthurt, can't type fast enough?

1.Orks
2.Resistance
3.Chaos
4.Eldar
5.Hive Fleet

edit: root, this isn't going to stop metagaming issues. We know the Hive Fleet Iblis players will stick together to vote Hive Fleet. Anyone else who doesn't want them to win just have to bump Hive Fleet down to the lowest rank on their list.

You don't want the points system, you want the elimination system that DU proposed later on. That is harder to game.

1.Resistance
2.Chaos
3.Orks
4.Eldar
5.Hive Fleet

See, that is also metagaming. Except it is even harder to count.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
root said:
So...I guess everybody has to cast their votes again for all five factions and rank them in order of preference? that's how it works? then I calculate the points and blam?

This was actually what screwed the voting over in the barbarian LP. Say someone had Option A at 5 points, Option B at 4 points, Option C at 3 etc. When someone tallied the votes and showed options A and B were close competitors, with E having nearly no votes, people changed their original vote of 4 points for B and 1 point for E to 1 point for B and 4 for E to harm competitors to their preferred vote.

A more elegant version would be to list things in the order you'd like them to win (pretty much what people are doing now). The highest ranked preferrence counts as peoples active vote. Eliminate whichever option has the fewest votes. Whoever voted for the eliminated opntion then counts as having voted for their second pick instead (unless it's already eliminated, in which case they voted for their third etc). Continue eliminating the lowest-scoring faction and redistributing votes until only 2 are left. Whoever has the most votes is WINNAR.

Also, past experience has shown that the hivemind is inherently lazy. So long as NOONE goes ahead and posts a compiled lists of votes before voting closes, the flip-flop meta should be minimal.

That said, in order of preference:

ORKZ!
Faggy space-elves
KAY-OZZ!
La Resistance!
Smelly spacebugs.

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ulminati said:
root said:

A more elegant version would be to list things in the order you'd like them to win (pretty much what people are doing now). The highest ranked preferrence counts as peoples active vote. Eliminate whichever option has the fewest votes. Whoever voted for the eliminated opntion then counts as having voted for their second pick instead (unless it's already eliminated, in which case they voted for their third etc). Continue eliminating the lowest-scoring faction and redistributing votes until only 2 are left. Whoever has the most votes is WINNAR.

Well, that's the big question, isn't it? Preferential voting means just that. Everybody makes a list in their order of preference. How those lists are tallied is the more difficult question. There's quite a few of them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferential_voting#List_of_systems_using_preferential_ballots and they can vary pretty significantly. For example, the results of using Single Transferable Vote will differ from the results of Alternative vote top-up or Bucklin voting given the exact same preference lists. What Ulminati just described is the similar to the Single Transferable Vote system, which sounds pretty good to me.

Esquilax

Arcane
1) Resistance
2) Chaos
3) Orks
4) Hive Fleet
5) Eldar

Let it be known that I was not among the flip-floppers. :smug:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
1) Eldar
{aleph0} Hive Fleet
{aleph1} Resistance
infinity++ chaos and orkz

1. Hive Fleet Iblis (should win by default for not flip flopping)
2. Eldar (always vote for the little guy, plus it would be lulzy if they won)
3. Ork (WAGGGGH)
4. Resistance (Eh)
5. Chaos (Eh)

unit 3108, you should just ignore flip flops and edited voting posts in the future, shit's gay.

skuphundaku

Patron
Occasionally Fatal said:
...Eldar ...it would be lulzy if they won

It's going to be even more lulzy if the Orks win. Expecially because root might get fed up with writing them at some point... that combined with our innate tendency to massacre our own faction should make for some hilarious developments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom