Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's bathe in the Pool of Radiance - 14 - Kobold Massacre

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't remember exactly, as I wasn't very old when I played this game way back when. But the regular 2nd Ed rules dictate that you cannot cast magic-user spells while wearing armour, unless it's elven chain. Did they change this for Pool of Radiance? If not, your hybrid classes won't be very useful until you get bracers and/or elven chain. :M

MMXI

Arcane
Azira said:
I don't remember exactly, as I wasn't very old when I played this game way back when. But the regular 2nd Ed rules dictate that you cannot cast magic-user spells while wearing armour, unless it's elven chain. Did they change this for Pool of Radiance? If not, your hybrid classes won't be very useful until you get bracers and/or elven chain. :M
It's not just that. Cleric multi-classes shouldn't be able to use sharp weapons either.

korenzel

Educated
Pussycat669 said:
Looks like the game likes to play rough. I'm already looking forward to the next update filled with low level suffering ;)
Are fights mostly random like in Bard's Tale, Wizardry etc. or do you have more predetermined ones?

There seem to be a good number of fixed battles, some I even remember after all these years. We'll get to see a few of them next update.

MMXI said:
Azira said:
It's not just that. Cleric multi-classes shouldn't be able to use sharp weapons either.

I believe Pool of Radiance uses Advanced Dungeons & Dragons first edition, not second (used in Baldur's Gate and other Infinity Engine games). I'm not familiar with the first edition, but it's possible the spellcasting limitations weren't implemented then.
Whether they took liberties with the rules or not, multi-class mages can cast in heavy armor without any problem. The only time armor is restricted is when backstabbing with thieves, who need to wear leather armor or worse when they attack from behind to get the full bonus.

MMXI

Arcane
korenzel said:
I believe Pool of Radiance uses Advanced Dungeons & Dragons first edition, not second (used in Baldur's Gate and other Infinity Engine games). I'm not familiar with the first edition, but it's possible the spellcasting limitations weren't implemented then.
Whether they took liberties with the rules or not, multi-class mages can cast in heavy armor without any problem. The only time armor is restricted is when backstabbing with thieves, who need to wear leather armor or worse when they attack from behind to get the full bonus.
Yeah. I think all the Gold Box games are first edition. I never really got the grips with all the differences between first and second edition. Whenever I play any of the Gold Box games I tend to just create a party and do whatever the game seems to allow me to do. This is the complete opposite of how I play the Infinity Engine games, where I minmax like crazy.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Look at my marvelous pink sprite and how he stands out in the battlefield!

First fight is already against 10 kobolds...nice. Being the puny single class mage I hope you people are ready to die for me. :P

Luzur

Good Sir
IfKEa.png

i dont remember the council clerk wearing a see-through.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Being a clerk in Phlan must be really dangerous if you need to wear adventuring gear to work, even if it is a ridiculous breastplate that leaves your chest exposed.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I first played through the Pool of Radiance series in 2000. I have two bits of advice for you:

# Dual-classing FTW. This only applies if you intend to play through all four games, and will first be available in Curse of the Azure Bonds.

# Hold Person is your best, and worst, friend.

korenzel

Educated
UPDATE 2 - Magic Treasure

--------------------------------

When we left off, our party has just defeated their first enemies.

ZB9sS.png

Godfrey heals himself up and we're ready to explore some more.

BSQAu.png

More kobolds block our path. Let's see what our journal has to say about them:

Adventurers Journal said:
Kobold, challenge rating I
These are small, cowardly humanoids who delight in killing and torture.

e0gdl.png

Since we surprised them from far away, we can fire a barrage of arrows at them while they approach.

Eyqp7.png

As their ranks dwindle, the remaining kobolds surrender.

9hqHF.png

A little further into the slums, we're approached by a some orcs.

Orc, challenge rating I
These are evil, pig-face humanoids.

Doesn't sound like much of a threat.

n2gz9.png

We make use of our plentiful magic, and put seven of them to sleep.

ELa1x.png

Slaying them while they sleep doesn't sound too glorious, but it works very well.

pNSNK.png

Excidium even gets into the action and scores one kill.

S1SCc.png

Not much experience, once again.

A9vrR.png

At least these orcs had some decent money on them. That's worth about ten gold coins.

jejt6.png

Pressing further along, our party stumbles on some orcs arguing over some papers.

PoKo7.png

Four orcs ? This fight is a cakewalk.

xusuf.png

Yet it gives our adventurers more experience than the previous encounter with the ten orcs.

wMJnH.png

We also get a clerical scroll with two Cure Light Wound spells.
That can be useful in a pinch.

8jeoP.png

After a couple more random encounters, our party is crawling under the weight of the looted weapons and armor.
Going back into the civilized area, they head for the nearest shop.
The prices offered are... not that great. Most items sell for one gold.

gG2yb.png

After a little nap, the group heads back in the slums and is surprised by kobolds.

wFkKv.png

The little critters manage to inflict some wounds before they go down.

Ba7kD.png

A large band of goblins is spotted soon afterward.

Goblin, challenge rating I
These are small humanoids common in the Realms.

The yellow ones are leaders and can fire bows, this is very dangerous for Excidium and Pariah.

jqzTQ.png

They are put to sleep and slaughtered mercilessly. Experience rewards seem to be getting better.

pjFRy.png

Ugh... tons of trash loot, too much for our adventurers to carry.

Lu3pb.png

Leaving the remains on the floor behind them, the party comes up against a locked door.
We can either pick the lock or bash it open. Pariah picks it.

hgKMk.png

Behind it is a goblin training camp. Let's destroy it.

Umdoo.png

They fall easily enough.

B4ui5.png

Among the loot, we find a suspiciously out-of-place Leather Armor. Bee casts Detect Magic, and the thing glows blue!
Pariah tries it on, it looks like it's a Leather Armor +1.

zqf8J.png

More kobolds. The blue leaders also carry bows, and when they target Excidium, it hurts.

NtDcp.png

Our party gets ambushed once more as it progresses deeper into the area.

Q10wx.png

They have us surrounded, so our mages make use of their sleep spells.

sl4xM.png

After a series of empty rooms, we discover the lodgings of a mage. Bee-chan tries to talk to him.

9WkVV.png

Being nice to him pays off. He offers us a quest instead of trying to kill us from ruining his door.
The party accepts.

JhC9B.png

A fetch quest, it doesn't sound too hard.

IXm8E.png

On the way back, Godfrey falls unconscious from his many wounds.
Unconscious characters have exactly zero hit points, and are taken out of the fight.
If a character goes below zero hit points, he is dying and needs to be healed or bandaged before long.
Of course, some monsters hit so hard that one may die outright...

evjEY.png

This last fight left us in pretty bad shape, time to head back to town and rest.

NlOGR.png

We encounter some kobolds on the way, but Bloodfist manages to scare them off. They're not worth fighting.

Axfcz.png

Finally, the party makes it back to the Inn and takes the day off to rest.

CFX9x.png

The goblin's Long Bows and Scale Mails sell for a decent amount of money.

t8QbZ.png

Enough to buy our very first piece of Plate Mail! Bee gets it.

vc78I.png

Her armor class plummets to minus two, that should help her avoid blows in the future.

AJk9T.png

Back in the slums, we go across some suspicious rooms. The party searches each square but doesn't find anything.

TRtpA.png

Looks like some kind of stable was here.

E3e3I.png

Ahah ! A leather bag ! Of course we open it.

mgCQS.png

The party gets ten fights worth of experience.

6dboO.png

Gold and Gems! Gems can have a variety of values and need to appraised at a merchant, but they're usually pretty expensive.

HRlWO.png

The party also finds a magic short bow and some arrows.

X9Abk.png

Trying it on, Bloodfist determines it's a Short Bow +1.

WqBC1.png

Close by, Godfrey surprises some kobolds after bashing down a door.

H833x.png

Lots of experience for such an easy encounter.

pqy9q.png

And some magic bracers!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
korenzel said:
Slaying them while they sleep doesn't sound too glorious

Honour? Glory? Bah! Low level adventurers have other things to worry about.

Shiny!

korenzel said:
Bee casts Detect Magic, and the thing glows blue!

You don't say!

korenzel said:
Enough to buy our very first piece of Plate Mail! Bee gets it. ... Her armor class plummets to minus two, that should help her avoid blows in the future.

:salute:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
When you face the trolls position your characters on top of the grids where they die to prevent them from popping back up. :smug:

korenzel

Educated
Metro said:
When you face the trolls position your characters on top of the grids where they die to prevent them from popping back up. :smug:
Thanks for the tip, I found out they get back up the hard way.

I'm in a predicament, Godfrey was just killed by poison (in one hit). Bringing him back to life seems to have caused a little bug : he now has 255 hit points... Is this normal ? I normally don't reload unless the whole party is wiped out, but that does sound like a good time to bend the rule.

korenzel said:
Metro said:
Thanks for the tip, I found out they get back up the hard way.

I'm in a predicament, Godfrey was just killed by poison (in one hit). Bringing him back to life seems to have caused a little bug : he now has 255 hit points... Is this normal ? I normally don't reload unless the whole party is wiped out, but that does sound like a good time to bend the rule.

Not to mention an immediate jump to level 4...

korenzel

Educated
Shhh, I removed the screenshot to avoid spoilers, but his level is every bit as it was before he succumbed.

MMXI

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
god dangit, I was secretly hoping Godfrey would die. :x
:decline:

korenzel said:
Godfrey must stay alive! Reload!

korenzel

Educated
The AC values can change depending on what weapon is equipped, because of the shield.

--------------------------------------

UPDATE #3 - Bar Brawl

At the end of the last update, the party had just found some magic bracers.

jz3xg.png

Excidium tries them on, and his armor class drops four points.
These are actually better than Pariah's Leather Armor +1, but Excidium will keep them as he needs them the most.

NtyuO.png

The party keeps exploring the mostly empty hallways. Did we clear out the roaming monsters ?
It certainly looks like it.

My2F5.png

Here are some hobgoblins guarding some gold.

Hobgoblin, challenge rating II
These are human-sized, intelligent relatives of the goblin

Challenge rating II ? Let's be cautious.

V3RZA.png

They fall to sleep easily, so they're not dangerous.

fP2JK.png

They net our adventurers some decent experience.

YuSOu.png

And a good amount of gold!

qgLDu.png

As well as a magic ring and another magic bow.

WYw3S.png

Edward R Murrow equips the ring and his armor class drops by one.
It's most likely a Ring of Protection +1.
The Short Bow turns out to be another Short Bow +1.

yMjws.png

We've explored most of the northern part of the area, except this small square to the northwest.

nrPbm.png

Bumping in the wall to the east reveals a illusionary wall, and some treasure.

4XV25.png

A lot of treasure !

CMrmA.png

And yet another Short Bow +1 and more Arrows +1.

lQ9Pk.png

Back in the shop, we head for the jeweler to have our trinkets appraised.

MPqpS.png

Most of our gems are not worth much, but the jewelry fetches a decent price.

gzyRy.png

The party goes on a spending spree and even pays to identify identify some of their magic items.

Jy1eC.png

With everyone equipped with Plate Mail, we head to the training halls as Godfrey and Excidium can reach the next level.

C0GYw.png

While looking for a trainer, a man approaches.

UgBsg.png

We're not interested in a duel.

RbgF1.png

Nor do we seek a hired hand.

2m3pa.png

Fighter trainer ? Not the one we want.

tGsGi.png

Finally, we find the cleric trainer, and Godfrey advances to level 2!
Alas, we can't afford to train Excidium yet. One thousand gold per session is pretty expensive.

Qp0E8.png

The party heads to the nearest tavern to celebrate, when someone tries to grab our purse!
Bee-chan grabs the little thief, and a massive bar brawl erupts, with our party in the middle!

5TCLi.png

That's... a lot of enemies. It looks like the blue guys at the top are on our side, but the rest is intent on giving us a sound beating.

jgeXl.png

The green ones are level one thieves and are not much of a threat. They are put to sleep easily, but our helpful allies kill them, opening our lines to the much more dangerous corporals and aides.
Pariah's the first to fall.

wvIay.png

Bloodfist runs up and bandages him, but Excidium is targeted by the corporal archers and goes down as well.
Bee-chan, as she goes to stabilize him before he passes away, suffers heavy wounds.

jIe41.png

She's knocked out soon after, but not before casting a spell to heal Edward R Murrow who fell as well.
Godfrey follows quickly, and only Bloodfist remains..

9QkHH.png

Braving the attacks of opportunities, he manages to bandage Godfrey.
However, surrounded on all sides, he doesn't last long and is knocked out.

KrLum.png

Alas, we didn't receive any of this experience.

Ro9Ql.png

Looks like Edward will have to carry five unconscious bodies to the Inn.
At least our platinum is safe...

PCB71.png

Oops, the city watch heard the commotion and barges in.

reaYe.png

The party somehow manages to run away.
We'll need a day to bring our clerics back up before we engage in serious healing.

v5cXx.png

After healing up, the party resumes the clearing of the slums.
Some orcs are found.

tI9B5.png

They brought leaders this time. They have bows, but they're all engaged in melee so they can't fire them.

x7ySM.png

The fight gives a fair amount of experience.

3HlQd.png

But it also nets a lot of magical items ! Three Broad Sword +1, one Chain Mail +1 and one Flail +1.
Each of our fighters gets a broad sword, and Godfrey equips the magic flail.

iYyMI.png

Nearby is a shop with a strange woman inside.

4feK4.png

We pay some coins, and she seems to try and foretell our future.

QZEwo.png

Hmmmm, a hint at a possible traitor in New Phlan ?

BR7vU.png

After the reading, the party leaves the gypsy alone.

4RXN9.png

Exploring further, our adventurers overhear monsters talking.

aabep.png

While going up against the western alley, a large number of guards intercept the party.

Q1IP9.png

A... very large number of guards.

jTuFP.png

With two archers at the back.
They all fall easily enough to the might of the party.

tYDyK.png

They were guarding this room with monster leaders.

4S2n1.png

Among them are hobgoblins, who we met before, but also an ogre.

Ogre, challenge rating IV
These are large, foul-tempered ugly humanoids. They are strong fighters.

They're also immune to sleep, but have a hard time hitting through our heavy armor.

w0U5U.png

There are also two gnolls.

Gnoll, challenge rating II
These creatures are hyena-headed humanoids who stand over seven feet tall.

These can be put to sleep and are therefore no threat at all.

f33o8.png

All the leaders are brought down easily.
This should deal a noticeable blow to the monster army.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Training is expensive as fuck...well at least Excidium got some bracers.

By the way, how much money is stolen if you ignore the thief?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
korenzel said:

:incline:

korenzel said:
Bee-chan grabs the little thief

Yay!

korenzel said:
Bee-chan, as she goes to stabilize him before he passes away, suffers heavy wounds. ... She's knocked out soon after, but not before casting a spell to heal Edward R Murrow who fell as well.

:/ Well, at least now we have someone to carry us back to the inn.

korenzel said:
Looks like Edward will have to carry five unconscious bodies to the Inn.

:lol:

MMXI

Arcane
korenzel said:
Fuck. I rolled a 1 when levelling up. I could have had anywhere from 13 to 20 health by now. Random statistical gains on levelling up has always been a shit idea.

:x

kazgar

Arcane
I'm pretty sure i've got the official hint book for this sitting at home, maybe should do some scanning of it (though its probably on the internet as well)

good times.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, Gold Box uses First Edition which is notably different from Second Edition - demihumans have levelling limitaitons but then multi-class characters are much more powerful than single-class characters and so on.

PoR has plenty of fixed encounters. The random monsters follow pen&paper tables for each areas and it is possible to clear an area completely - for example it will be safe and free to rest in the slums later in the game.

I've hardly ever tried a multi-classed party like this in PoR before as I always want to carry the party onwards to Curse and so on, except when I first played this on C64.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
This looks a lot less stressful than I thought it would. Or do you just make it look easy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom