Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [Let's Command] Rangers vs. Panzergrenadiers in Combat Mission: Fortress Italy

ValeVelKal

Arcane
You guys seem to have this strange disease where you want to do something every turn. I am like... so tired, you know ?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Is there a way to send someone to pick up the M1919 when the last of Andjnord’s men inevitably croaks ?
Also no. Inter-unit and equipment interactions are basically non-existent in this game. This isn't Men of War, unfortunately.

Soldiers will scavenge from wounded/dead for ammo and weapons. This includes LMGs, SMGs, sniper rifles, bazookas, panzerfausts, grenades, binoculars, radios, etc. I don't believe they'll scavenge the weaponry from dedicated teams like an HMG, mortar, etc., as it is considered a dedicated asset. But it's good to keep in mind anyway, as a lot of teams have firepower heavily invested in certain weapons, particularly Germans to MG34/42's, the Americans to the BAR, and Brits to the Bren guns and also on occasion knee mortars. These guys are usually the first ones to get shot as I'm pretty sure the AI simulates soldiers prioritizing the guy sending lead downfield with endless muzzle flashing. Scavenging just requires them to hang around corpses/wounded and they'll do it automatically, though the speed is kinda random and the itemization is as well.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
Correct. If you leave your guys in an area with friendly dead bodies for a while, they'll start scavenging it once they feel safe. I also am 99% sure that doesn't apply to heavy weapons.

Sorry about the long response time -- I've got the next turn screenshotted out, just need to edit and upload them here.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
PLANNING:
As ordered, Dayyālu's HQ team is shifting the 81mm mortars onto the foxholes. However, the process of spotting and actually getting the fire mission online will take six turns... Kalarion's squad is holding position. Endemic's M5 is about to swing into position and open fire on Vallebruca. ValeVelKal's men are retreating up the hill behind the treeline. Andnjord's 1st "team" is making a break for the area behind the berm for cover, while his second "team" is bounding to the bushes in front of Dayyālu. Helly's mortars are still targeting the foxholes.
MdQQlaJ.png

RESOLVING THE TURN:
As the turn starts off, Helly's team is raked by another burst of MG-34 fire and another man goes down. They're still keeping the tube running though.
fcjB6nq.png

Andnjord's first team (what's left of it) is sprinting back behind the berm. Just in time, as machinegun fire is tearing up the foliage where his comrades lay dead.
DYq6vWu.png

In the meantime, we've got some more substantive spots. The mystery Germans that annihilated Andnjord's second team has been spotted in a pair of buildings near the center of Vallebruca. Additionally, we've spotted a total of three Germans in the foxholes now.
vpSBiM4.png

dByrNYX.png

Endemic's M5 veeeeery slooooowly begins to put .30 cal on the white building near the end of the turn.
iissUMB.png

Helly doesn't seem to be having much luck putting his mortars quite on target.
9HdlBsR.png

Kalarion has taken his first casualty -- a pixeltruppen killed by fire from the church. Fire is still intense.
sIhBPtK.png

The last guy in Andnjord's second team is doing that DBZ crater pose in the bushes, safe from German eyes for now.
gftU9wt.png

The first guy has made it safely behind the berm and has deployed his M1919 facing nothing.
38pJeo7.png

ValeVelKal's squad has made it safely behind the treeline in a hail of bullets, no casualties. It remains to be seen if the Germans can't see them here. Still tired.
Xu3Mv2J.png

ORDERS & CONSIDERATIONS:

If I was a Ranger CO seeing this operation, I would be ordering a full withdrawal right now and just annihilating the town with artillery. Unfortunately for you, you can't do that in Combat Mission. Good luck!
fXX7QNc.png

Orders Submitted:

Endemic, M5 HQ - Submitted
Dayyālu , 2nd Pl. HQ - Submitted
Kalarion , 2nd Pl., 1st Section - Submitted
ValeVelKal , 2nd Pl., 2nd Section - Submitted
Helly , A Co. Mortar - Submitted
Andnjord , 2nd Pl. MGs - Submitted

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I make my way around the edge of the fence to the opening at the western tip and go inside the orchard, will I be in grenade distance of the foxholes?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
If I am in condition to walk (ie : not TOO tired), I carry on advancing hidden by the tree until I spot the good damn AT gun.
If I can send only one guy, even better.

Else, could I exchange some of my C-rations with something good from the British or the Aussies back in Africa ? If so, it might be the moment to open one of those cans.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So me team is totally going to do a tactical redeployment to the back of the line as far away as possible from that MG.
I'm doing this so that Kalarion 's team can advance without getting mortared ofc. I'm not running away at all.

So I'm heading way back and targeting what I can see of the church once in muh safe spot then.

Andnjord

Arcane
If Kalarion makes his grenading run, I want my MG teams to Target Briefly the foxholes, 15 seconds bursts, then move back and hide in the trees.
Otherwise, sit tight and wait for our reinforcements.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have no fucking clue what to do rn :D

Oh well I guess I'll give my idea a shot. Run to the inside of the orchard and try to get within grenade range. If I can do it, lob a half dozen or so and see if I can smoke them out. If not, hunker down at the western inside corner and uh... wait to die for reinforcements I guess.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
The CO had to take a burger break, as is the American tradition. We're back online with an incredibly eventful turn. I can't guarantee that the events will be pleasant.

PLANNING:
Kalarion's men are fast moving across the orchard to get into hard cover as soon as possible, hopefully able to grenade the foxholes. Helly's team is repositioning. Andnjord's first "team" will move up and deploy their MG to suppress the church, and his second "team" will be trying to get their MG online. ValeVelKal's squad has split off a scout team, who are now moving up the treeline to get spots on the currently-theoretical AT gun. Endemic's M5 is continuing to suppress. Dayyālu's HQ team is engaging with the sniper and calling in arty.
7PZtFuM.png

EXECUTING THE TURN:
At once, some of Kalarion's men (the rest are still cowering) stand up and start hopping over the low wall to get to other end of the orchard in the most straightforward possible. In sync, every single MG-34 in Vallebruca goes off. As they're hopping the wall, a Ranger takes a bullet and falls to the ground dead.
m6TuEdb.png

As they begin to snake through the orchard, two more are killed simultaneously by machinegun fire.
TJnclpk.png

A straggler is also promptly killed.
NxVSh2w.png

One of the cowards decides now is a good time to hop over. A prompt bullet to the face.
7g4ohh2.png

Despite it all, one lone Ranger rifleman manages to make it to the other side unscathed. He even manages to pop off a few shots at the foxholes.
RSfRMEc.png

His bravery is rewarded with 7.92 to the lung. We will remember you, Pvt. Pixel.
4Y87Rx9.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ
yZcKZgH.png

This all occurred in the first 25 seconds or so. Andnjord's second gunner has a bunch of new bullet holes from the church's pixeltruppen in him but is still alive (and traumatized).
Cz2Ng9y.png

His first gunner manages to get the gun online and targeted at the church in the last five seconds of the turn, twenty seconds after all of Kalarion's section is killed.
z6IBiyT.png

With the volume of fire flying absolutely everywhere, ValeVelKal's scout team is ignoring my move command and is booking it over there. Still no casualties taken so far.
1WK9Yq1.png

Volume of fire is increasing towards Dayyālu's HQ team, who's sniper has been running his Springfield hot. Helly's team is redeploying behind them, and is set to target the church.
z5kTXRK.png

ORDERS & CONSIDERATIONS:
That was sixty seconds of straight bad news, so let me give you some good news. The first wave of reinforcements have arrived! A platoon's worth of infantry and another mortar team. Some of you will have dibs (after new players, of course), so check the updated OP for info on the new slots.

I imagine the slotting is going to take some time, which is good, because I have a ton of work to do for this upcoming Monday and likely won't be able to do the new turn until Tuesday. In the meantime, here's the new map.
ropCYXW.png

Orders Submitted:
Endemic, M5 HQ - Submitted
Dayyālu , 2nd Pl. HQ - Submitted
ValeVelKal , 2nd Pl., 2nd Section - Submitted
Helly , A Co. Mortar - Submitted
Andnjord , 2nd Pl. MGs - Submitted
Gumsmith - 1st Pl. HQ - Submitted
Kalarion - A Co. HQ - Submitted
baud - 1st Pl., 1st Section - Submitted
Hace El Oso - 1st Pl., 2nd Section - Submitted
Azira - A Co., 2nd Section Mortar - Not submitted

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Requiescat in pace frater Kalarion. Your aggressive scouting will not be forgotten.
rating_salute.gif

As for my MGs, Cease Fire, and Hide for now.

Also, that's a lot of germans in the town, I feel like we'll have to wait until our second tank arrives and starts blasting those buildings from afar before we can make any progress.

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah, I wish we could have given you support of any kind...
Your valiant suicide death will not be soon forgotten, brothers! Fire on that church! For Kalarion and his men!

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Was there a recent let's play / commenters command / whatever in which Kalarion survived more than a few posts ?

My scout goes until the end of the edge of trees while the rest of the squad waits for back-up, resting. Anyone got some alcohol ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom