Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's stumble through tunnels and on trolls! [Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan LP]

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
tumblr_mhcj7lq38n1s34g1do1_500.gif

You know, this totally should become official Codexian :necro: emot.

And lo, it now is! :yeah:
[EDIT] Maybe if we spam an entire page with the new :necro: emote, Crooked Bee will resume this LP?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not a trap, no. :P Just testing the waters for my next LP, if I ever have time for that.

I also have the screenshots for the next T&T update but again, dunno when I have the time to write it up.

Is this a trap? No matter, I'll volounteer. :salute:

Fighter, Thief, Cleric or Mage?

Alternatively you can apply for a prestige class -- Druid, Ranger, Monk, Assassin or Wizard -- but those can only be attained at higher levels. So no promises ;)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Monk sounds awesome. What would be the best base class to qualify for that? Cleric? And yeah, I wouldn't want to try and finagle a promise out of you. There was still the thing about the Whale's Voyage 2, or whatever that LP was called that I broke for you with my character flaw.. :oops:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Monk sounds awesome. What would be the best base class to qualify for that? Cleric? And yeah, I wouldn't want to try and finagle a promise out of you. There was still the thing about the Whale's Voyage 2, or whatever that LP was called that I broke for you with my character flaw.. :oops:

Feel free to study the manual if you want: http://webpages.milwpc.com/finkjc/silverncastle/downloads/tomeofknowledge.pdf

But yeah, monks are basically fighter+cleric. So basically you need to have sufficient attributes for both, plus a high enough level. I'll keep your preference in mind :P

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So my character "just" needs
Vitality 18
Piety 16
Agility 12
and character rating 15.5?

Make it so. :smug:

Oh, and the manual mentions the "mystic" class...

Crooked Bee

Patron
So my character "just" needs
Vitality 18
Piety 16
Agility 12
and character rating 15.5?

Make it so. :smug:

Oh, and the manual mentions the "mystic" class...

Yeah, no idea about the mystic class requirements yet... I've beaten the first few levels of the game but haven't advanced further yet. (Goddamn job :argh: )

Thanks for your input though ;)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Job? Heh, just wait and see if/when you get children. Now they are timestealers. +M

Go with the Fritzl school of upbringing. Less work that way. And you'll also have a handy fallout shelter where you can hide from the machete rape gangs.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update? Who said anything about an update?

Okay so maybe I did. This one's not really as fun as you'd like to though because it's based on the screenshots I took waaay back when I still knew how to play the game. :P

Crooked Bee

Patron
I'm going to drop the fanfiction party banter from now on - I just don't have the willpower to write that kind of crap anymore.

So, if I can recall correctly, in the previous update we cheated the dice-rolling devil who thought he could cheat us, gained some levels, fought under water, and got somewhat rich, even. Not bad for the third update. Let's see what we can accomplish in the fourth now.

We're just gonna die and run away a lot.

4: Of dying and being eaten, but also of running away when outnumbered

Firs things first: we buy some mail armor for Az and Janurz, with their leather armor going to Elodie. We also buy a full helm, heavy boots, a couple of shield, and some more rope. And maybe something else I didn't capture. I also took a screenshot of Janurz learning a new spell from Elodie - but what kind of spell that was, I can't recall. Who cares anyway? It must've been useful enough for Janurz to learn it.

Also Elodie gets a light selfbow.

There is a door in the Marketplace district that is actually the backdoor of the archers' guild. It looks like we can't enter it unnoticed, not with our current stats at least. (Did I tell you how much this game relies on stat checks?)

What if we get stubborn though?

They mangle us and throw us down into the sewers.

Nasty stuff.

Another important thing: don't trust the urchins.

Actually, it's best not to stumble on them at all, 'cause they really like stealing gems.

Remember how mama told you not to trust strangers?

Well you should've taken that lesson to heart.

Good thing this is a pretty easy battle and we emerge victorious.

Let's test our luck infiltrating the local master rogue's house. I'm sure nothing can go wrong about that.

Stat checks again; this time it is our speed/agility that is being tested.

This ain't looking good; Az, Elodie and Procras are dead already.

Janurz reaches the gem - but can he make it back?

He cannot. :(

At the local rogues guild, Janurz can learn new spells for a modest price. We learn Darkest Hour, Poor Baby and some other spell I didn't grab a screenshot of.

Tunnels & Trolls also has a shitload of languages for our characters to learn. In the screenshot above, Hinson Jimson, language teacher, has just taught Procras Orcish.

"That's enough for now! Go away! An old hobb needs his rest. Goodbye, goodbye."

He doesn't feel like teaching us multiple languages at once though, that lazy bastard.

At the wizard guild (and let me remind you that only characters of respective class can enter any of the guilds), Elodie and Procras can buy, sell and learn stuff - and also have their items identified:

Identifying a weapon, for example, shows you its damage, attribute requirements, and price.

We also learn a ton of spells here which we can afford because we're rich.

After resting up a bit we head to the language teacher again and learn a new language - rinse and repeat until our party knows all, or almost all, of the in-game languages. I just hope that comes in handy someday.

Another area in the city of Gull that we haven't visited yet is the Temple of the Blue Beetle.

There's just an altar with a... green (!?) beetle in here:

The message is simple: "Honor the true blue. Destroying the god destroys the destroyer, and the secluded god lives on in the underground. The true god drinks no living blood."

A riddle, I guess? Not that the game gives us any time to think on it...

You didn't notice the trap door beneath your feet! The floor opens up and swallows you whole... You are whipped down a lightning-fast slide, heading deep under the surface world of Gull. The door snaps shut overhead before you have time to respond. You've heard stories of the fetid sewer systems below the city...

"Heard stories"? The sewers are like our second home!

You tumble down the slimy chute into darkness where you land with a thud among a tangle of something sluggishly groping you, making your skin crawl.

The chute spits us out down in the sewers again... Looks like all paths lead to the sewers in this city.

Even worse, it spits us out in the middle of a colony of carnivorous plants!

Your foot feels as if it has fallen into a greasy vat. You attempt to move, but razor-sharp pains shoot up your leg and you sense that your balance is considerably very poor. Looking down, you realize with horror that your foot has been eaten by a carnivorous plant!

:troll:

Age of Decadence's got nothing on this game.

Again, this entire incident was the result of us having failed a stat check. Here's what happens if we pass it though:

We just observe the grating and back away from it.

To the south is the door that our thief unlocks.

Phew, that was close. But we've passed the skill check again!

Among the treasure we find here is a Shipwreck Map. Judging by the name, I believe it might come in handy when we brave the wide sea.

We can also climb the balcony to the north of the altar and explore around.

I haven't been able to discover anything useful here though, so we leave.

As we exit the temple and head north, we overhear some orcs talk in hushed tones.

The graffito doesn't exactly inspire confidence but with the power of save-reload on our side we bravely - or foolishly - explore on.

Two orcs run in terror at being seen. Stealthfully you follow and they lead you to an old house in the wooden section of town.

"Intelligent and brave"? Why do I feel like the game is just teasing me?

However that may be, let's try wriggling through the window.

And suddenty we find ourselves in the heat of a battle - one that really should've had nothing to do with us in the first place. That's what you get for taking initiative, folks!

From the balcony, you have the advantage of height, although some orcs can also attack at range. The stone stairway nearby provides a means for you to join the fighting on the floor, or you can stay on the balcony and snipe -- at least, until the orcs mass against you and force you to the floor!

1) down
2) stay

For some reason I can't shake off the feeling I'm playing AoD again.

Let's enter the fray.

The orcs nearest to you howl delightedly as they spring to the attack!

"For the glory of Lerotra'hh and Khara Kang!" shout the orcs. "Down with humankind! The Treaty of Khazan binds us no more!"

This leads to a series of fights - with a twist to boot:

The orcs begin to split your party into smaller groups -- they vastly outnumber you!

In a really clever design device, the game splits up our party to reflect the fact that the orcs vastly outnumber us.

Clever, but frustrating.

Thankfully we can run away from these fights. :P I wonder if that counts as an exploit. Probably not, because I'm somehow sure that if we hadn't run away we would've received fatter loot (or that's what I keep telling myself).

:salute:

A dour hobb, bloody to the elbows, comes up as well. "I have kin on the continent," he says. "I want to travel to the free city of Knor, then go upriver to Khosht. That is the last safe outpost, if what I hear is true. You are a heroic sort: take that route yourself, and oppose the might of Roach Trap, the Death Empress. Otherwise, her monsters will obliterate our kin."

Fair enough, we'll try to keep that route in mind.

He looks at you keenly. "I am a redoubtable fighter and a spellcaster. I would join you to represent my people if you're thinking of taking arms against Khazan's might."

Are you interested in having this hobb join you?

The hobb offers to join us, but I'd rather not replace anyone in our party with a random NPC. So we decline.

The human leader has a last few words. "It is the time for greatness to show itself, or forever be snuffed out. I think the crucial difference could be someone like you.

:tearofapatriot:

So, the further north the more dangerous it gets. Got it.

We also gain some levels after this sequence. (Yes we do, even though we cowardly ran away. :P)

This game is so chock full of content, even in the starting city, that I still haven't shown you everything I wanted to show and the update is already starting to run too long for me to keep typing all this stuff.

See you next time on Tunnels & Trolls!
:troll:

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
T&T has the best spell names - it is known.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom