Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about Lacrymas' homebrew fantasy setting where paladins are eunuchs

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Cooldowns are nonsensical. I would make the damage taken in one form be carried to another form, or make take time to shapeshift. But you are the DM, if you wanna to put cooldowns everywhere, you can.

Cael

Arcane
Cooldowns are nonsensical. I would make the damage taken in one form be carried to another form, or make take time to shapeshift. But you are the DM, if you wanna to put cooldowns everywhere, you can.
Cooldowns makes sense to the 4th Ed/WoW generation.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's the same thing. I could make it so it takes a minute to shapeshift after another shapeshift was ended by any means, but practically it's the same thing. I could make it so the hp is actually %-based and shared between forms, but that nerfs the forms quite a lot, it also make it so the druid only wants to shapeshift to the form which has the highest total hp and makes it unnecessarily mathy. The meaningful distinction between cooldowns and casting time is that you are locked down while casting, so there's more of an opportunity cost there. I could make it so shapeshifting requires a casting time for 3 rounds, but good luck pulling that off.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bro, it's just ~*~fantasy~*~ so you can do whatever you want. It doesn't need to make sense.

Yep. Is fantasy, so don't need to make sense. This is why D&D 4th edition and Diablo 3 are a great games.

As a necromancer, the amount of blood which I can suck from the skeleton king with the siphon blood spell is proportional to the weight and sharpness of the axe which I dematerialize before casting the spell. Nothing more immersive than spells scaling with weapons that disappear when casting and blood magic sucking blood from bloodless creatures.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Bro, it's just ~*~fantasy~*~ so you can do whatever you want. It doesn't need to make sense.

Yep. Is fantasy, so don't need to make sense. This is why D&D 4th edition and Diablo 3 are a great games.

As a necromancer, the amount of blood which I can suck from the skeleton king with the siphon blood spell is proportional to the weight and sharpness of the axe which I dematerialize before casting the spell. Nothing more immersive than spells scaling with weapons that disappear when casting and blood magic sucking blood from bloodless creatures.

Do people suffering from Autism have issues picking up sarcasm ?
Or were you just really desperate to drop that huge "own" :lol:

EDIT
Also, that whole Necromancer Siphoning Life from the skeleton king in Diablo 3.. What a weird and oddly specific topic.. ????

I don't see how my setting doesn't make sense.

INCEL Paladins roaming around the lands dispersing holy justice? Feels like a self-insert tbh.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Only Barbarian woman is the most nonsensical thing about your setting.
Why, though?

Whoever trains barbarians decided that the only way to channel enough rage to be one is to have felt the unthinkable pain that comes with the loss of a child. In game, this is represented through the Barbarian class and its Rage class feature. The end. What's nonsensical about it?

And don't go around quoting passages from other settings' books, because what makes a barbarian in another setting has no relevance in this discussion.

Zeriel

Arcane
Organization of militant control freaks, who hold monopoly on magic in the name of powerful (and apparently vengeful) "divine" patron and employ army of castrated slaves (because being eunuchs kinda implies being a slave) + housing spy network, prying into people's lives + mug everyone on additional taxes for very vague services or "just cuz" (clerics can't even heal in his setting for fuck sake) + burn or demonize anyone who disagree with their dogma - Totally liberal, progressive and not fascist (c) Lacrymas

I dunno that sounds kind of based and awesome as a dystopian setting. Make them actually worshipping evil gods and you've basically got some weird setting where Chaos won.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Whoever trains barbarians (...)this is represented through the Barbarian class and its Rage class feature. The end. What's nonsensical about it?

Barbarians are not "civilized", nor need "training". They are savage warriors who see civilized folks as weaklings. Fighters needs formal training.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Only Barbarian woman is the most nonsensical thing about your setting.
Why, though?

Whoever trains barbarians decided that the only way to channel enough rage to be one is to have felt the unthinkable pain that comes with the loss of a child. In game, this is represented through the Barbarian class and its Rage class feature. The end. What's nonsensical about it?

And don't go around quoting passages from other settings' books, because what makes a barbarian in another setting has no relevance in this discussion.

Allows Barbarian Rage once per 30 days.

mondblut

Arcane
Barbarians are not "civilized", nor need "training". They are savage warriors who see civilized folks as weaklings.
In which setting? Certainly not in mine.

In a setting called "dictionary".

What else is in your setting, "shamans" are people who tinker with devices and produce wonders of technology? "warlocks" are professional boxers?

Lacrymas

Arcane
The official name for them is Warrior-Acolyte of the Sisterhood. Barbarian is a slang term for them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Because they fight with unbridled savagery and techniques learned/mimicked from the orcs. There are no tribesmen at the outskirts of civilization, there are only bandit camps and orcs (for now)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
In my setting Wizards are actually a kind of tribespeople who are illiterate, eat with their hands and shit in the woods. But they can do magic tricks, so y'know

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom