Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Rex Feral

Prophet
B would have probably worked if we had joined Taishan back when we first fought the sword demon. Now, I'm not so sure.

A sounds like a trap and I'm not sure if we could get out of this one, but then again it would be better if we went with Qilin, since sooner or later she'll probably go after her mother.

C would be nice, but why can't someone else talk to them? Besides, as long as they don't have full assurance of their children's safety, I don't think they will back us up.

I don't know what to think about D. She still is a Zhang.

E sounds retarded. Nuff said.

I'll just vote A and hope for the best.

Also, paranoia overwhelming me:

Anyway, I’ve been thinking. After this, maybe…

and

No, it’s nothing. I mean, I’ll tell you after the conference. That’s what we should focus on for now.

can go perfectly along with famous last words like:

"I'll be alright"

"This is not the day I die"

"We'll talk when I return"

"When this is over we will..."

Absinthe

Arcane
Abstaining for now. D>B>E>C

A is bad. Not only does it look like a trap, but we are unlikely to cooperate with them, so A means we'd be wasting the opportunity to collect a vote. In that sense, the trap in A could be that while we waste time with them, they outmaneuver us politically. Or maybe they just kick our asses. I'm not liking our odds here. Also, I don't think Qilin would go without us since Jing is the primary invitee.

B has a better chance of success now that Song Lingshu is backing us as a sword wielder.

C means we have to fight them again. If you want your Yunzi & Jing matchup vs them, here's your chance.

D has a distinct appeal. There is a lot of merit in handling this before the situation becomes irreversible.

E is an unknown, but actually fighting is too dangerous for comfort. Xuezi's full strength is still inferior to Lady Ji's and this woman, while not Lady Ji, does have the strongest great sword.

“Regardless, Wudang stands with you,” says Wu Jin, the eldest of the three brothers. “We would not have a voice in the first place had you not slew the Sword Demon and returned to us our sect’s treasure.” It looks like they have agreed to entrust you with the lead.
Past perfect tense of "slay" is "slain" not "slew." "Slew" is the simple past tense.

Last edited:

handup

Educated
She shakes her head, changing her mind. “No, it’s nothing. I mean, I’ll tell you after the conference. That’s what we should focus on for now.” Standing up, she untwines her fingers from yours gently, and goes to join in the singing… where Lingshu is stretching out the song of righteousness to such an extent that, having run out of great misdeeds to apply justice to, they’re now singing about saving cats and arresting adulterers.
Shit! Is Lingshu trying to start a mutiny?

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Best part is that we even gave her a blood colored super sword:lol:

Who will be the one who kills Xu Jing first?

Candidates:
Cao'er
Nie Wuxing
Bai Jiutian
Madam Nie
Qilin
Yunzi
Miss Song
Yifang

Hmmm, reminds me of young tiger tournament arrangement :lol:
:troll:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The A choice is obviously the most loaded option here:

“He is a gentleman, unlike you. My master is offering a meeting tonight, at the courtyard pavilion. He wants to discuss the conference tomorrow peaceably – he says that he knows you are not here to make trouble, and would like things to be resolved amicably. It will just be you, shifu and shimu. Of course, you can bring along that Wudu girl if you want. That was what my shimu added.

“Well, that’s interesting,” says Qilin, standing behind you. “It’s so interesting that I would be interested."

Bai’s gaze drifts towards her. “Yes. I suppose it is.”

Qilin is their real target here. I'm not sure if they just plan to manipulate her or what, but even Bai is aware that it's their goal to lure her there and gives us that hint by confirming the offer would be interesting to her.

The question is: Will our not going protect her or will Qilin decide to go without us regardless of what we choose? I'm thinking she won't go without us, as she refused to even make eye contact with her mother and that's probably the reason Nie invited both of us - he knows she won't come alone. I'd rather not give them what they want and avoid them altogether.

edit: and as Absinthe said, "not only does it look like a trap, but we are unlikely to cooperate with them, so A means we'd be wasting the opportunity to collect a vote." Which may be a trap in and of itself.

Here's the situation: right now, we are at a disadvantage vote-wise. We need to get another sword on our side, not to deal with the scheming a-hole and his wife - who are both undoubtedly aware of the vote situation and will likely manipulate, lie, cheat or kidnap their way into securing their majority - that's the most likely reason for their wanting to meet. I.E., that they want another sword on their side to secure their majority and desire to use our meeting as a means to get it.

The B choice seems unlikely as we chose to challenge him and his master in the roadside fight.

The C choice is again unlikely as providing news of their children is a lot less persuasive than holding a knife to their children's throats - which is what the Zhang clan is doing. Then again, it is possible they might fight us and we could take their sword from them. Are we even allowed to fight here?

The D choice, may still be unlikely - though probably not as much as the choice above - as we did not work together to defeat the demon, but instead fought it on our own. Ergo, there may not be enough of a bond between us for this to work. However, for the same reason, it may work as she owes us her life as we singlehandedly saved her. A bit of a roll of the dice, but better than B or C. Even with that though, could she be persuaded to go against her clan given that she almost lay down her life for their honor earlier?

E is a high risk option, and it would not give us a majority, only a tie. The fact that
Xuezi would come with us can be considered by treave as a hint to the level of crazy epic fight we'd have to go through to get it. Still, a tie could be useful - especially since many of the sword holders on our enemies' side are either blackmailed or not wholly committed to the cause of Nie or the Zhang clan.

D>C>E for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What, A is a trap? No! How can this possibly be? I mean, they look trustworthy! :lol:

Sure, it is a trap, and I don't think any one of us suspects otherwise. The question is, will you allow Qilin to walk into it alone, or won't you?

The funny thing here is that among the voters, not one of us chose to leave Qilin on the mainland for whatever reasons. For those who decided to take her with us because of love, the choice is obvious. For those who took her because of her knowledge of poisons and traps - where do you think the threat of poisons and traps comes from on this conference, if not from Madam Nie? It does not look like a good idea to leave her out of our sight.

Either way, once we took her with us, the confrontation between the mother and the daughter became unavoidable. We are choosing between being there when it happens, or going for yet another +1 SWORDS. Why would there be a choice otherwise? Surely it is not to convince Wuxing to work with us. :lol:

Lambchop19 said:
I'm thinking she won't go without us, as she refused to even make eye contact with her mother and that's probably the reason Nie invited both of us - he knows she won't come alone.
What, do you take it as a sign that she is disinterested in meeting her mother and is only going there in A because we do? Come on, she is obviously invested in the subject - she raised the question on her own twice already. She have given us several signals of how this one is important to her. If we don't want to get involved, then she'd have to do it on her own.

Besides, it is incredibly shitty for Jing to say that we will face whatever difficulties there might be together with her only to go back on our word the very same day.

Last edited:

Besides, it is incredibly shitty for Jing to say that we will face whatever difficulties there might be together with her only to go back on our word the very same day.
It's about more than this one meeting though. They are at best trying to waste our time and at worst will twist her up with lies. The will succeed with at least one of these if we pick A. That's a fact. At least by not picking A we know they won't be wasting our time and there is a chance she won't go without us. If we go, we are allowing them to waste our time and they will definitely have the opportunity to say or do whatever they were planning anyway because our going with her was part of their plan to begin with, hence why we were invited too.

Facing difficulties together doesn't mean putting this entire conference on hold to go meet with her mom and step dad because they said so.

Nevill

Arcane
At least by not picking A we know they won't be wasting our time and there is a chance she won't go without us.
Choices and consequences, man.

If you think by going with A we stand to lose an opportunity to collect a vote, then think about what we stand to lose if we try collecting a vote instead of going there. I am more comfortable with the former than with the latter.

I am not taking a chance when there are so many signs to the contrary and we just had a preview of what could happen if we are wrong. We have taken enough chances in spite of what the common sense told us, thank you.

Besides, you are too quick to dismiss our confrontation as a waste of time. Sure, it won't give us their cooperation, but they want to meet Qilin for a reason, and it might help us in the future to know what they want from her - or what they have up their sleeves to 'convince' her. Tianxie let his wife go alone to deal with her problems - and he regretted it dearly.

Also, I don't think they want to waste our time. It is more likely that they are going straight for the head of the opposition. Well, two can play this game.

Facing difficulties together doesn't mean putting this entire conference on hold to go meet with her mom and step dad because they said so.
Well, guess what, that's one of the difficulties. Her mother chose this time to meet her. You can go along, or you can choose to deal with your other problems because you are busy with your own stuff.

Sure, you can turn your back to her. Just don't act surprised if you win your conference vote and lose her.

You are right, though - if Qilin is not going, then I don't want to be there, either. I just think that she won't pass up a chance to confront her mother (she was thinking about it for a long while and she just started talking about it aloud recently - if anything, that's a proof of how serious she is), and I want to be there with her. There was a reason why we didn't let her go back when she asked.

Last edited:

I feel like I'm watching a bad movie here:

"It's probably a trap."

"I know. We'll go anyway."

Choices and consequences, man.

If you think by going with A we stand to lose an opportunity to collect a vote, then think about what we stand to lose if we try collecting a vote instead of going there.
Just because going will have the consequence of our wasting a vote, doesn't mean our not going will result in her loss. Choices don't always work like that. What would we have lost had we misinterpreted the writing on the temple wall during our fight with Ahura? The opportunity to explode in a fiery death. I'm fine with that kind of loss.

Also, I don't think they want to waste our time. It is more likely that they are going for the head of the opposition. Well, two can play this game.
Now that kind of thinking I can agree with. Too bad the Zhang clan are probably the real heads here.

Just don't be surprised if you win your vote and lose her.
Same to you.

But I see where you're coming from. Heck, there is a chance that if she decides to go without us, like her mother she could go alone and be swayed by Nie. That's a valid concern. My concern is that with her being as headstrong as she is, she'd choose to be swayed or not to be swayed regardless of whether we're there or not. It's not cut and dry for me right now, but I can't bring myself to vote for A at the moment.

edit:
treave, can we ask Qilin if she is going to go without us should we pick something else?

Nevill

Arcane
I feel like I'm watching a bad movie here:

"It's probably a trap."

"I know. We'll go anyway."
Well, so did we when Shun volunteered to visit the island. Didn't stop him one bit.

Sometimes you just can't afford not to.

Lambchop19 said:
Same to you.
Well, I meant the vote at the conference. :) I do not pretend that my choice is about winning one (though there may be something in the future to turn the situation around, and the Emprah is present, so it's not like it is important who wins the vote as long as he steps in).

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Lambchop19 BRO remember that Bai works for Madam Nie. While she is all for stabbing Master Nie in the back, I don't believe she will go as far as to betray her own 'mother'.

Well everything would change if we'd knew Bai now craves for Jing's D. If she does then she will backstab anyone to get into our pants. :incline:

Nevill

Arcane
treave, can we ask Qilin if she is going to go without us should we pick something else?
You see, even if she tells you she does not, I don't think is solves our problem.

She might decide to do so at any moment. It looks to me that she has the intention to see this through.

For me, A is the option that ensures we will be there when it happens and puts the matter aside for the time being. It does not come without drawbacks, however.

Lambchop19 said:
My concern is that with her being as headstrong as she is, she'd choose to be swayed or not to be swayed regardless of whether we're there or not.
That's the part I strongly disagree with. If we are not there, her dwindling self-confidence might suggest that she is not worth all that much to you (further compounded by us choosing not to marry her and to pursue the swords instead of dealing with her family matters contrary to our promise), that your relationship won't work out, and that it would be better if she let go of you. Her mother would be the first to reinforce that view.

I don't see it happening if Jing is there for her.

Qilin is not headstrong at all. She just knows how to put on a very good gameface.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
D>A i guess.
I am not sure if Nie will try anything to suspicious especially when he knows we were visited by advisor of Emperor or mby Shun himself. Finding out who is behind this whole conference and possible way of restoration could be good.
I got some very suspicious vibe from Minyue i might be wrong, but she
When you appear at the entrance of the hall, the noise dies down. You grin, still carrying Xuezi in your arms.
On the other side of the hall are Nie Wuxing and his followers, collectively glaring at you. Zhang Minyue is with them; she has dropped her chopsticks in surprise, her mouth agape.
I think that was reaction to our doll like partner not us. Minyue knows who did this to her, mby even did this to her. Time to go CSI i guess.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Nevill is right on the money here. Lambchop19, the reason I'm going for A is really simple: Jing promised to settle the family thing with Qilin together, and now is the time. With all the ominous foreshadowing about how Father Tianxie lost his wife when she went off alone to do family stuff and then get dropping off the radar, I don't want to take any more chances with her.

I understand that this is a setup, but Qilin is worth it, in my opinion.
That, and I get the feeling that she's starting to get tired of our flakiness in regards to our relationship. Gotta let #1 feel like #1.

TL; DR: please don't leave us, Chi-Chi.
:negative:

Absinthe

Arcane
Grimgravy, that actually sounds like something Qilin would say. I'm going to trust Qilin 'cause trusting our crew is what Jing does.

Voting D>B>E>C.

Lambchop19, B choice has better odds than you suggest since we did defeat the enemy they were fighting, and Song Lingshu as a legendary sword wielder commands respect in her own right (rather than as a member of our crew).

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
Voting A.
Even if it is a trap, we can handle it since we suspect it already. Also, if Bai is present too, she is likely to be on our side or abstain since it is really out of character for her to participate in such an act.

Kipeci

Arcane
I voted to leave Qilin on the mainland, or if I didn't I intended to. It'd have complicated things less.

Fangshi

Arcane
Going to flop to D>B>E>C (anything but A really) to attempt to gain some advantage out of the time we have.

It would be a better use of our time to try and acquire another sword or vote, one way or another, so I am up for any of the above options. It really is doubtful that Nie has anything to say to us that would change our positions at this point, we are on opposite sides by choice and inclination.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom