Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Come to think of it, I think C is suicide: "She will kill you if you make so much as a single mistake in battle."

I don't think it's a good idea to make these new moves the core of our combat strategy. We'll probably make a mistake somewhere.
By the same logic, B is also suicide because the Chixiao is unsuitable to our bread-and-butter sword style (sorry, no quote mining on the cellphone, treave mentioned it back in the sword distribution update), so using it as the ultimate gambit is also Bad.
Doesn't using the last of the palms kind of blow our load so that if we can't take her down with that we're essentially screwed if she's able to strike back? I just think that that's a bad way to win time, since I have no doubt that she has a high enough level of qi to probably not care that much about or qi attacks, whether they be by draining (which she can endure) or explosion/force/projection/whatever (which she can kinda withstand using massive levels of qi). As for the physical stuff, well, who knows what her physical form such as it is is even like? I don't, so I vote for mystery over probably bad for the ideas.
Actually, all of them rely on one gambit. B is all about using the Choxiao as our trump card, as opposed to neigong or FIGHTAN! They are all high risk, but the reason I prefer C is because we're fighting to impair mobility and survive, instead of trying to defeat an actual no-bullshit immortal in battle (redirect a greater force, as opposed to taking it head on; the same thing we did against Ahura), and are using the terrain and climate to our advantage.

Kipeci

Arcane
I just think that if the one shot in C doesn't work we'll be the ones that have impaired mobility and effectiveness, which would make it much harder to survive. A and B I can see us possibly drawing it out, maybe D. D is the one with the Taiji and stuff, right? Maybe I should reconsider that in the morning.

Baltika9

Arcane
If our gambits don't work and we're forced into a straight-up fight with her, we're dead anyway. A battle of attrition against a Jiuyin master means we're fucked.

Absinthe

Arcane
By the same logic, B is also suicide because the Chixiao is unsuitable to our bread-and-butter sword style (sorry, no quote mining on the cellphone, treave mentioned it back in the sword distribution update), so using it as the ultimate gambit is also Bad.

Actually, all of them rely on one gambit. B is all about using the Choxiao as our trump card, as opposed to neigong or FIGHTAN! They are all high risk, but the reason I prefer C is because we're fighting to impair mobility and survive, instead of trying to defeat an actual no-bullshit immortal in battle (redirect a greater force, as opposed to taking it head on; the same thing we did against Ahura), and are using the terrain and climate to our advantage.
No, B is using all the swords, including the Chixiao Sword. As for the Chixiao sword, here's the quote:
A. Keep it for yourself – it is a powerful weapon, as evidenced by the Sword Demon using it to slice apart sword qi with ease. With your skill you should be able to use it freely, though it may not suit a couple of your sword moves.
If we can handle it freely I'm not so worried about it. Our less suited moves wouldn't be executed with the Chixiao Sword anyway (we have the wodao for kenjutsu).

I don't know though. I may flop back to A. We have extreme amounts of experience with those moves so we shouldn't mess up at all there. Sure her moves are crazy dangerous, but Jing has been practicing against Zhang Jue for a long time so that's nothing new to us.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
(redirect a greater force, as opposed to taking it head on; the same thing we did against Ahura)
I don't know, actually. With Ahura, it seemed like a natural thing to do. But if we are speaking in terms of match-ups...

Yin is slow, soft, yielding, flowing, cold and passive.
Yang is fast, hard, focused, rigid, hot and aggressive.
All Jiuyin techniques carry an element of deceptive slowness and softness. A case can be made for the need to counteract them with an overwhelming force.

Absinthe

Arcane
Hm, looking at it that way, our sword techniques could be screwed against jiuyin. While we have a number of nice moves, they seem more perception-dependent and therefore more likely to get misdirected by Jiuyin techniques than our wild claw strikes and high speed kicks.

Yeah, flopping to A>B. Overwhelming, savage force it is. We work best with our claw strikes anyway.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I honestly don't know what is the right answer here, so I'm going to vote on instinct since that has rarely screwed me before.

Please don't lobby me for votes.

D>C>B

Absinthe

Arcane
OPTION ANALYSIS

Jiuyin techniques are extremely deceptive, so lets analyze perception-dependency in our options:
  • A. Savage claw strikes and high speed kicks. Not very dependent on perception since we mostly go crazy against our opponent with chaos qi.
  • B. Finesse swordsmanship. Kenjutsu and Yuchang moves are both perception dependent. Looking bad.
  • C. Medium-range palms. Perception might not be as big of a problem here.
  • D. Taiji! Perception is a must here.
That leaves A and C.

"She will kill you if you make so much as a single mistake in battle." Lets analyze experience:
  • A. Mastered all these moves. Chances of making mistakes are virtually none, considering how much ridiculous dangerous fighting we do against Zhang Jue.
  • B. Very experienced with all these moves. Also unlikely to slip up.
  • C. Completely new to most of these palm strikes.
  • D. Some experience with Taiji sword.
That leaves A and B.

"She will kill Shun if you do not occupy anything less than her full attention." Lets analyze our capacity to draw attention to Jing:
  • A. She will definitely have to devote all of her attention on us if we do a raging offense.
  • B. We're still trying to kill her, so she has to focus on us.
  • C. Defensive combat looking for openings doesn't really force her to focus on Jing, so I don't think we'd have her full attention.
  • D. Playing it safe and waiting game. No, she won't need to focus on us like this.
Leaves A and B.

Shun is bleeding from the abdomen. Lets analyze speed of victory:
  • A. Should be fast, since we're going all-out crazy and not really saving anything for later.
  • B. Could be even faster, if we can get that slash.
  • C. Depends on how long it takes to get that opening. If we manage to connect, we'd win. Seems risky.
  • D. Takes damn long.
Leaves A and B. Also C if you think we she might give us an opening quickly.

There's also E but it's more of a MYSTARY option. That sword was used against Chi You before, so if it works against Jing now, that would really suck.

So the two options we're left with are A and B. Either one might work, but A seems better just because our swordsmanship seems more vulnerable to her deceptive techniques than our wild claw strikes and kicks. Sure she's got dangerous bone-melting claws, but Zhang Jue uses Shouwang Claws against Jing all the time and those will kill you too if you slip up, so I think Jing has all the experience he needs to fend them off.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Damned if I know what can defeat an immortal but may as well give her our best, if it is not good enough then we probably should have gone with Xuezi.

A

Nevill

Arcane
There is nothing that suggests that any of this would draw out for longer than the other, except for D which has us draining her.

A tries to batter her into submission, which, I assume, would not be easy with the opponent of that caliber. On the other hand, what C needs is a single oppotunity, whereupon we bet all we have on a single strike. If it connects and does enough damage, we win. If it goes wrong, we are left completely drained as we've used every single ounce of qi in our body. Essentially, it is do-or-die.

I can see it working.

What I dislike about it, though, is that while we are still trying to protect Shun and deflect her attacks, this goal is much better achieved with having her concentrate on us and not send anything in his general direction in the first place.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Aye, in hindsight, we really should've let Xuezi handle things. Hopefully this will pay off later, though.

Oh well. Got an option analysis on the last page.

Nevill, fair enough. adjusted the speed analysis.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

edit: Xuezi wasn't always as peaceable as she is now - case and point, her defeating the 8 sects singlehandedly many years ago. I have a feeling ingesting our chaotic qi at a time like this and using it to forcibly unlock her meridians would have made her go all rage mode. Not good. Glad we didn't vote for it. (unless I'm missing something and treave said it would have worked fine...)

1. Let's remember that E is an option that treave already criticized and only included because it was requested.
2. C because it doesn't tie her up enough. In C the increased distance might mean she'll have more room to maneuver her way to Shun since we won't be right in her face the whole time.
3. In A we'd be fighting unarmed with an opponent that has insanely deadly unarmed techniques. Claws that melt flesh - amongst other things - trump our claws I'm afraid. Sounds like a good way to die like a chump.
4. Which leaves the swords option and the taiji option. If she had a sword still, I might not favor it as much, but since she doesn't anymore, we might just have an advantage. The taiji option might work too. Think about it, if she's an immortal, just how are we planning on killing her in A, B or C? I think Shun's blade might be the only thing here that can do it. Instead of trying to kill her outright, if we piss her off with our taiji/trolling skills, she'll be distracted enough for Shun to get in a quick stab to wound her - which is probably what he's planning to try regardless.

D>B>C

edit: and btw, I have a feeling this is on of those Russian roulette choices where only only of them works and the rest are varying degrees of crushing failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absinthe

Arcane
Hey Lambchop19, Zhang Jue also uses "insanely deadly unarmed techniques" against us. If anything, going up against super lethal claws is our specialty.

Also, I remembered another reason against voting C:
There're a few techniques in those manuals that have been cherry-picked and gradually evolved over the centuries. Also: Holy Dragon Palms, Dragon Subduing Palms.
Seems like she would have the better version of our palm techniques.

Hey Lambchop19, Zhang Jue also uses "insanely deadly unarmed techniques" against us. If anything, going up against super lethal claws is our specialty.
Sorry, bro, but Zhang can't melt flesh with one hit. <insert Zhang is awesome and unbeatable because he's Zhang defense here>

Baltika9

Arcane
But he can tear off limbs and rend flesh with a mere swipe.
Your lack of faith disturbs me, Lambchop.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the old softy goes easy on us...because love. :love:

Nevill

Arcane
3. In A we'd be fighting unarmed with an opponent that has insanely deadly unarmed techniques. Claws that melt flesh - amongst other things - trump our claws I'm afraid. Sounds like a good way to die like a chump.
Yeah, I do not feel like a comparison with our master is fair. While his techniques are just as deadly, the specifics of Jiuyin one might make it more difficult to block the attacks by meeting them head-on, MAXIMUM FUCK style, like we usually do:
Zhang throws another Bloody Diamond Horn at you, and you have no time except to respond with the same. Claw meets claw: the force of the impact pushes you back against the tree, but your arm holds even though you feel like it may shatter any moment.

Think about it, if she's an immortal, just how are we planning on killing her?
The 'Immortal' part probably refers to her being an ageless creation, rather than the actual inability to die.

Chi You was an Immortal, yet he was still overwhelmed in the end, and no single wound did it.

Besides, I imagine that the disruprion Shun was talking about impacted her connection with the Heavens and her powers negatively.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I disagree. I think MAXIMUM FUCK style might be the best weapon we've got against deceptive Jiuyin techniques. If I had to guess, Jiuyin's deceptive tricks aren't as strong in a wild fight.

And I'm not sure how well those bone-dissolving claws would work on Jing, since our chaotic qi would probably disrupt a soft, yin-dominant technique like that to hell before it reaches our bones.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Time for a voting tally

Kipeci A>B
ERYFKRAD A
Kz3r0 A
ChumBucket C>B
The Brazilian Slaughter A
Elfberserker A
Kashmir Slippers B
tropic A>B
Absinthe A
Tigranes C
Kayerts C
Azira B>A
GreyViper A
Akkudakku E>C>A
Grimgravy B>C
archaen A>C
Jester C>B
Baltika9 C>A
Smashing Axe D>C>B
Fangshi A
Lambchop19 D>B
Nevill C
Red Feral B>C
asxetos A>B
A - 11
B - 4
C - 6
D - 2
E - 1

Post-flop:
A - 11
B - 4
C - 7
D - 2

Post-flop:
A - 11
B - 5
C - 8

Post-flop:
A - 12
B - 2 (not flopping)
C - 10

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Aah the tallying
I think its only one thing that causes more headache than actual argying for the poster

I am bit surprised that I am not only one to count votes wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom