Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
treave, how does Wuming Jiuyu Shenyin Art work? It is said to be able to conquer armies with shadows, but what does it do? Summons the shadows we've seen in the hall to vanquish your enemy? Or what?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Btw treavo are all the swords in this setting copper?
Or are there different materials?

Most swords are made of steel.

Xuezi thrashed the whole Eight Sects single-handedly once.

Xuezi is an immortal in the sense that she has achieved a type of immortality, but she doesn't do Taoist magic voodoo like actual celestials can. A direct comparison of fighting ability isn't really suitable, I think.

treave, how does Wuming Jiuyu Shenyin Art work? It is said to be able to conquer armies with shadows, but what does it do? Summons the shadows we've seen in the hall to vanquish your enemy? Or what?

You'll know when you get hit by it? :lol:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Well then dont take the copper one it can be cut through with a steel one.

Unless additional magix on that one.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You've confirmed it's the real thing, so it is definitely the same sword that the Yellow Emperor once used to fight Chi You.

Tigranes

Arcane
Alright. So what do we know about this lady re. combat?

-Crazy smashing wind ability, apparently no longer under her control now and swirling wildly (Unknown: would we be able to use it against her?)
-Strong yin qi
-Hundreds of masked faces which we know are not particularly strong but can be overwhelming, coming in our direction
-'Takes a stance', apparently knows some form of unarmed fighting

I have no firm answers, but I think we can eliminate a couple early on:

-D does not seem advisable, since Shun is heavily injured, the shadows are coming, and there's no guarantee that our qi absorption will work against an immortal with so much qi
-E I am not sure is a great answer, since treave basically said "Well it seems kind of bad idea but if you want...", though I suppose it could have an unexpected deus ex machina effect given it's a macguffin sword.

The question seems to be what we believe can overcome her - unarmed fighting, sword fighting, or blasting her off the cliffs. A pitches our strongest techniques, B relies on the power of the Chixiao Sword in particular, and C relies on the terrain and the now unpredictable winds.

-I do not believe we can win this fight 'honestly', that is, by overwhelming her with speed and power; she's not an immortal for nothing.
-The Chixiao Sword may help, but surely the immortal knows all about each sword and what they can do? If we were hoping for any sword to make a difference we'd go with E and take a risk.
-On the other hand, the update tells us the winds are now out of her control, which might make blasting her off a viable option; in addition, it lets us not get too close to her, the distance means we can stay closer to Shun and also not get surprised by whatever weird unarmed thing she has up her sleeve.

C for now. I wish Shun could tell us a bit about what his magnificent plan was for getting stabbed in the face.

Absinthe

Arcane
Flopping to B>A. Treave, Jing knows how to grab swords without leaving himself open from the Sword Demon fight, right?

Since the Xuanyuan Sword was used against Chi You, it may be meant to screw Chi You over, so it's probably not a good idea for us to use it.

C is a bad idea because "She will kill Shun if you do not occupy anything less than her full attention." That means we cannot afford to fight defensively.

Kayerts

Arcane
Not a fan of getting close and personal with an immortal banking on our superior stats alone

IMMORTALITY IS ONLY A WORD. ALL THAT EXISTS CAN DIE.

EVERY LIVING THING HAS A WEAPON AGAINST WHICH IT HAS NO DEFENSE. TIME. DISEASE. IRON. GUILT.

How do you know what weapon to use?

ONE MUST KNOW THE ENEMY TO FORGE SUCH A WEAPON.

START WITH A FRAGMENT OF THE ENEMY. A DROP OF BLOOD. A CRYSTALLIZED THOUGHT. ONE OF ITS HOPES. ALL OF THESE THINGS TELL THE WAY IT CAN DIE.

What if your enemy strikes from a distance, from shadows, and never shows herself?

THEN THAT IS THE FRAGMENT OF THE ENEMY YOU MUST USE.

THE ACTIONS OF YOUR ENEMY HAVE TOLD YOU MUCH. YOUR ENEMY DOES NOT WISH TO ENGAGE YOU DIRECTLY. THAT IS A WEAKNESS.

B, I think.
Flop to C, Baltika makes good points.

Flop to C->B

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
C is a bad idea because "She will kill Shun if you do not occupy anything less than her full attention." That means we cannot afford to fight defensively.
I actually think that of the two defensive approaches, C will work. We are a damn good unarmed fighter and our neigong is nothing to sneeze at either, and moreover, the Dragon Palms' whole thing is that they keep toe enemy at a distance and let you cockblock them from getting where you don't want them to/i.e shoving her away from a distance. That way, we can prevent jet from getting too close to Shun and us, and blow get off the cluff where this happens:
You're just going to hit her hard and see what happens. If she flies off into the sea that's good, if she dies even better.
Either way, we get to GTFO with the sword and Shun. I like that.

Absinthe

Arcane
I think C will work for us. Just not for Shun.

Not all of the options result in Jing's death. Some only result in Shun's death.

Any plan that involves stalling for openings while Shun is bleeding out seems like a terrible idea.

Baltika9

Arcane
Except that the Palms let us control hey mobility. Jing's priority is Shun, I doubt he'll allow him to die I'd he had a say in it.

Absinthe

Arcane
Well, if Jing wants Shun to live, he should deal with the woman as quickly as possible.

Even if Jing protects Shun from all her attacks, Shun is still bleeding out from a stomach wound.

GreyViper

Prophet
Tough choice A for now. She does seem more support oriented then pure dps.
And I wonder if she has 4. Xuantiedun (玄鐵盾, Profound Iron Shield) A defensive technique that can conjure a qi barrier to stop even projectiles and weapons.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
E>B>A
Lets see how pissed Chi You will get when he wields the sword that was once used against him. RAGE!

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Come to think of it, I think C is suicide: "She will kill you if you make so much as a single mistake in battle."
He has passed on to you the Xianglong Eighteen Palms' full set of moves; you were still unfamiliar with the latter half, but for now, you have memorized every stance the technique has to offer.

I don't think it's a good idea to make these new moves the core of our combat strategy. We'll probably make a mistake somewhere.

Baltika9

Arcane
Alright. So what do we know about this lady re. combat?

-Crazy smashing wind ability, apparently no longer under her control now and swirling wildly (Unknown: would we be able to use it against her?)
-Strong yin qi
-Hundreds of masked faces which we know are not particularly strong but can be overwhelming, coming in our direction
-'Takes a stance', apparently knows some form of unarmed fighting

I have no firm answers, but I think we can eliminate a couple early on:

-D does not seem advisable, since Shun is heavily injured, the shadows are coming, and there's no guarantee that our qi absorption will work against an immortal with so much qi
-E I am not sure is a great answer, since treave basically said "Well it seems kind of bad idea but if you want...", though I suppose it could have an unexpected deus ex machina effect given it's a macguffin sword.

The question seems to be what we believe can overcome her - unarmed fighting, sword fighting, or blasting her off the cliffs. A pitches our strongest techniques, B relies on the power of the Chixiao Sword in particular, and C relies on the terrain and the now unpredictable winds.

-I do not believe we can win this fight 'honestly', that is, by overwhelming her with speed and power; she's not an immortal for nothing.
-The Chixiao Sword may help, but surely the immortal knows all about each sword and what they can do? If we were hoping for any sword to make a difference we'd go with E and take a risk.
-On the other hand, the update tells us the winds are now out of her control, which might make blasting her off a viable option; in addition, it lets us not get too close to her, the distance means we can stay closer to Shun and also not get surprised by whatever weird unarmed thing she has up her sleeve.
I think you are right on the money here, bro. If Xuezi, who isn't even a fully-fledged immortal, pwned all the Eight Sects, then there's no way we're going to best an actual, even if depowered, immortal in a straight up fight.
I think C is the right way to go for one reason: we're fighting to survive and win time, not dominate and kill her. I believe that taking the indirect, cheating approach is fire the best here.

Kipeci

Arcane
Doesn't using the last of the palms kind of blow our load so that if we can't take her down with that we're essentially screwed if she's able to strike back? I just think that that's a bad way to win time, since I have no doubt that she has a high enough level of qi to probably not care that much about or qi attacks, whether they be by draining (which she can endure) or explosion/force/projection/whatever (which she can kinda withstand using massive levels of qi). As for the physical stuff, well, who knows what her physical form such as it is is even like? I don't, so I vote for mystery over probably bad for the ideas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom