Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Exactly. So, do you want to extract it during the fight, or after? Because then you kind of need to win it, first.

It is about where you think your chances to beat them both are stronger. I don't really consider C1 because I can't in good conscience trust the fight with Bai to the Twins and expect a victory. I don't even trust Jing in that regard, which is why I am not fighting.

I don't place much stock in subduing BJ by threatening Madam Nie. They both know you are a sucker who does not kill people willy-nilly.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, we're not going to be able to trick/intimidate Madam Nie of all people. She's too good at it and we don't have enough information to use to our advantage. In general we will only be able to do one on her by acting in ways that drive her to a corner, not pulling wool over her eyes. In our current situation, that means either we run away or we beat them comprehensively. Or at least, beat Nie so fast BJ doesn't have to lay the smackdown on the Twins he cares for.

Absinthe

Arcane
I think C1 >> C2.

If it were C1, I would've considered voting for it. But C2 is just shit. We'd be making an enemy out of Bai Jiutian with that vote.

Nevill

Arcane
Why?

Fighting Bai Jiutian means nothing as long as we don't step on her toes and ruin her plans. Is there any evidence that she has a vested interested in the outcome of our fight with Madam Nie?

If anyone we fought at one point or the other became our enemy, we would have a whole jianghu after us, including half of our harem.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll try and see if I can get an update out tomorrow, if not the update is only going to have to come around next Wednesday.

ScubaV

Prophet
treave's gonna have to step it up if he wants to surpass the Pillars of Eternity thread before the beta comes out. :smug:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Let's see...

Steppe invasion
Fall of the dynasty, warring kingdoms
Journey to the East (Japan)
Journey to the West (Europe)
MONGOLS!
19th century timeskip
HITLER!
21st century timeskip
ILLUMINATI!
Far future timeskip
Wuxia in SPAAAAAAAACE!
and kungfu robots
Yeah, I suppose we could go on for a few more years yet. :M

Anyway, since you're seeing this post, it means the update comes next Wednesday.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Did you say KungFu robots!?
I must know does lightsaber goes to sword or saber catagory! This is important.:bounce:

Mandatory :negative: for delayed update.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Speaking of Hobo rider, here is the post super hero selection for...Some reason.
Personally I am more of animal friend fan.

[CONFIDENTIAL]

[PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS SAMPLE]

FIRESTARTER
Strength: B
Speed: B
Intelligence: C
Power: B (Pyromancy)

CYBORG JACK
Strength: A
Speed: A
Intelligence: B
Power: C (Cybernetic Enhancements)

THE MENTALIST
Strength: C
Speed: C
Intelligence: A
Power: A (Telepathy, Telekinesis)

ANIMAL FRIEND
Strength: A
Speed: B
Intelligence: D
Power: D (Animal Communication)

HOBO RIDER
Strength: D
Speed: D
Intelligence: S
Power: - (None)

Akkudakku

Arbiter
HOBO RIDER seems FUN.

Needs MA-TI hero type...

'Heart! Heart! Heart! Heart! Heart! Heart! Heart! Heart! Heart! Heart! Heart!' - Ma-Ti.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I must know does lightsaber goes to sword or saber catagory! This is important.:bounce:

Obviously, it is whatever you want it to be.

Even more importantly, where does the Hobo Rider feature in that timeline? :obviously:

Sometime between Chapter 10: Rise and Fall of Master Hitler, and the 16-chapter War on Heaven Saga, but still set way before the Intergalactic Wuxia Clans Arc.

Nevill

Arcane
A week without discuss. The Codex is just not the same.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I become convinced that it is not in our interests to let Madam Nie talk in our situation, even if we take her captive.

The Twins have said that they are ready to beat the answers out of her, if need be, and that is to be expected from a pair of fighters with a fiery temperament facing a dangerous opponent, but do they have what it takes to question her when they finally defeat her? What can they do to loosen her tongue? Rough her up? Subject her to a slow torture? Of course not! Those girls are worse idealists than even Yifang. Then what? Threaten to kill her so that she would no longer poison her father? Without a trial? Withous any solid evidence to their claims? One of the reasons they want to resort to violence is because they have nothing conclusive on her except for the feeling that something is not right. How would they ever explain it to their father, or to the rest of the world?

Now we could probably do all of that and worse, but we sure as hell wouldn't, because it would be simply wrong suicidal to do so with two upright orthodoxes and Bai Jiutian watching. With the witnesses around, we are limited to the methods they give their consent to.

The girls are operating with a preconception that a cornered villain will tell everything to save their hide if you threaten then, since the villains have to be cowardly and disgraceful, but it does not work like that, if only because the truth about Madam Nie is far more damning than some vague doubts they may have about her activities. There is no way Madam Nie will tell them everything, and there is no way to force her that would be acceptable to them. Even worse, though, is the possibility that they might consider whatever 'confession' their mother gives them as truth, because that is what a defeated villain is supposed to do when they seemingly have no other way to save themselves. Madam Nie can really let her imagination loose, and they might swallow her story. She can even say she was in league with us, Man Tiger Pig, and the girls might believe her because as far as they know, we are after the same manuals and up to no good - hell, the first thing they accused Madam Nie of was infidelity.

She only needs to turn the girls against us and have them take her to Nie Wuxing 'to expose her vile plots'. We know what side their father would choose - have already chosen, in fact.

Manipulating people to Manam Nie is what fighting is to us. It is her element, her gift, her call, even. As well as I am sure that we can outperform her in combat, I am also sure that she can beat us in a game of intrigue.

Maybe the best move is not to play, then? Maybe just not giving Madam Nie an opportunity to open her mouth and poison people's minds would be a small victory?

Tigranes

Arcane
She will open her mouth and poison everyone's minds with A, as well. The only way to avoid her manipulation is literally run away - though in that case she will tell everybody else about how MTP has run off with more women, and these particular women at that - after the wedding incident, could do a lot to ruin the 'not-that-bad' reputation we'd been building with people like Su Liaojiao whatstheirnames.

Still, confirming B since I forgot my original vote.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
There is good chance that the fight will be stopped before either side is beaten.

We are talking about high level wuxian fighters, so I excpect trees to fall, explosion happening and general loud action noises.
If fight were to stopped lets say Nie wuxing and Sword saint then both sides were caught trousers on their knees...This could leave us to draw situation, if Nie wuxing sees his daughter fights agains his wife, even if he suspect that we manipulated his dear daughters against madam Nie.

It will be very intresting and tense situation for both Madam nie party and Xu jing party in that case.

Edit: I am mostly placing my speculation for this little line:

Bai Jiutian looks at you quietly for a while. “He is too powerful for us to defeat without a prolonged fight, or giving him the chance to get away. Perhaps we can pretend none of this ever happened, and go back to the status quo,” she suggests. “That would be wiser, if Xu Jing agrees.”

Nevill

Arcane
There is good chance that the fight will be stopped before either side is beaten.
But we were led into a deserted area where presumably no one would be able to hear us fighting.

It would do Madam Nie no good if our battle with Bai Jiutian alerted the whole camp.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
We are still in the town:

You arrive at the little clearing surrounded by buildings in disrepair; an older section of Banhe Town, abandoned when the small tributary flowing through this area dried up.. There is no one in sight.

The cavalry might not arrive immediately, but when building start going down then people will take notice.
We are high level enough to easily create a demolish building or two without a problem, so prolonged fight will draw attention.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, it is a possibility, I will give you that.

Would such an development be advantageous to us in any way, though? I just can't see why we would want it to happen, with the exception that it would probably alert Wuxing that something is happening behind his back. Madam Nie does not want her husband to know about this little incident.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well, not really advantageous for us.

At the best twins will be saved for time being from Madam Nie brainwashing program, without us getting accused to luring/kidnapping more women to our personal harem. Plus This might cause bit of discord in Nie family for time being, so it might open other doors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom