Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At the best twins will be saved for time being from Madam Nie brainwashing program, without us getting accused to luring/kidnapping more women to our personal harem.
Will they, though? The most likely outcome is that everyone goes home with their respective allies/families/what-have-you. It's not only Madam Nie we need to worry about, it's their father as well.

Though if there will be tensions between the spouses, it might get harder for Madam Nie to affect the Twins.

And what is wrong with luring more women to our harem? People are just jealous of us, I say! :)

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well at laest Nie wuxing seems deeply to care about his daughters and if he suspect that Madam nie is plotting behind his back as well...Harm his daughters, I imagine that he will be pretty protective of them.
Nie wuxing is definitely dangerous as fighter to us, but I suspect that we can win against him throught words and bit of scheming for better lack of word...That man is just not good at scheming, especially without his wife.

Thought I have to say there is strong incentive to get twins to our harem, especially Nie Mudan after her stripping in youn tiger tournament.
They will de definitely comedy gold like their father:lol:

Tigranes

Arcane
I doubt it will be that easy to drive a wedge between Nie Wuxing and the Madam. That is the one alliance that the Madam absolutely cannot do without, so I am sure she has ensured in whatever way that he is absolutely bound to her. Besides, she can just blame us for trolling and leading the girls astray, using them as bait, etc.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Old Street Retreat

You sidle up to Nie Shuixian and whisper firmly, “Now is not the time to get into an argument with them. I do not think you are going to like your mother’s ‘discipline’.”

She seems to agree, albeit somewhat nervously. “But, what should-“

Stepping in between the twins and Madam Nie, you adjust your sleeves. “Let’s employ my favourite of the Thirty-Six Strategems.” Without warning, you whip around and strike out at the two girls with your palms. Controlling your qi perfectly, you generate just enough force to send them flying off without causing them serious injury. “Retreat!” you shout out.

“Tian’er, go after them. Even if we cannot detain Xu Jing, we can still bring the girls back,” orders Madam Nie.

Bai Jiutian prepares to give chase, but stops immediately. You are standing in her way, your hands resting on your hips. She is wary enough that she does not make any rash attempts to force a path past you.

“Staying behind to let them escape? How noble of you, Man Tiger Pig,” she sneers. “Or do you have something else in mind?”

“Are you going to fight us alone?” Madam Nie smiles at you.

“Well…” You take a step forward. And kick up a spray of dirt into their faces. With a mocking laugh, you leap away, following the path where the twins had fled. You catch up to them quite soon; the deteriorating wooden rooftops are proving to be rather hard to step on without risking them giving way under you, while the streets below are dark and abandoned. You do not expect Bai Jiutian or Madam Nie to be left behind for long. Just as Nie Shuixian notices you and waves, your instincts warn you to dodge. You drop down, turning your run into a tumbling roll as a gleaming sword passes through where your chest would have been. As you get to your feet, Bai Jiutian presses the attack, lunging at you with a swift stab. You block her attack with your wodao and draw the blade, forcing Bai to leap back.

“You are really trying to kill me, aren’t you? I thought we were friends.”

She smiles. “If you die, it just means you weren’t good enough to be my ally in the first place.”

“Bai shixiong!” Nie Mudan cries out. “Why? Why are you doing this?”

“I have my reasons,” replies Bai. “Besides, you should be a good girl and come home, Mudan. If you insist on being so stubborn you will ruin everything, even your father’s plans.”

“Keep moving!” you shout. “Head for the inn!”

“Y-yes!” Shuixian complies with you immediately, herding her sister away.

“I won’t let you.” Bai’s shadow appears to lengthen – she seems to glide across the darkness with surprising speed, almost catching you off-guard.

Almost.

Your right arm reacts before you can think, striking out at Bai Jiutian with the flat of your sword. As Bai dodges your attack, her attempt to get past you foiled, you leap into the air. At the same time, you unleash a downward strike with your left palm – The Soaring Dragon Descends – and with a loud, crashing noise, you bring down the roof under her feet. It does not buy you much time. Bai Jiutian kicks up the smashed wooden planks and steps off of them lightly, using them as footholds in mid-air to regain her balance. She charges towards you, and the two of you clash swords again, with only the wind beneath your feet.

“You are quite the show-off, aren’t you?” you say.

“You are the last person I want to hear that from.”

Laughing, you spin and kick out from an impossible position. In aerial combat your Wuying Leipo Kick gives you the advantage. You turn Bai into your stepping stone, sending her flying backwards while you hurtle towards the lights of the populated sections. Bai wastes no time in coming after you, apparently forgetting about her mission to retrieve the twins and proceeding to start a running duel through the dark streets and creaky rooftops of the abandoned town. You slip in and out of the shadows, attempting to give her the slip, but Bai is nothing but persistent. Still, you can tell that she is not yet giving her all. Of course, neither are you.

Even as you think that, you make a single misstep. A black cat – some stray surviving on scraps in this dump – scampers across your path with a yowl, startled by your sudden arrival. Even as you adjust your footing to avoid the cat, you realize that by doing so you have slowed down a beat and given Bai Jiutian just the chance she needs to catch up to you. She reaches out for you, her sword poised to skewer you and a smile on her face.

You wonder if she isn’t enjoying this a little too much.

Shixiong, watch out!” shouts Shuixian, appearing from above and slashing at her senior. This gives Bai plenty of time to evade. She breaks off her attack and spins away elegantly.

Shixiong!” This time it is Mudan’s turn, and similarly, Bai evades her attack with ease.

“If the two of you are going to call out a warning, what is the point of trying an ambush?” you yell.

“B-but… we just can’t bring ourselves to really harm Bai shixiong!” explains Shuixian.

Mudan adds her retort: “Besides, we saved you, didn’t we?”

“Perhaps you should have saved yourselves.” Madam Nie swoops in; catching Nie Mudan by surprise, she plants a needle in her neck, immobilizing the girl. Just when did she sneak up on you? You glance at Bai, who does not seem surprised; she was probably just the decoy all along. Madam Nie turns towards Shuixian, and you move to intercept her. Bai does not seem inclined to let you interfere, however, and with a flash of her sword she cuts off your advance.

“Mother, what are you planning?” cries out Shuixian.

“Hush. You will know everything soon enough-“

Madam Nie whirls around suddenly, whipping her long sleeves in a circle. Bai too leaps back, her sword moving in a swift arc around her. A dozen tinny, clinging sounds ring out as she deflects as many needles; you see that Madam Nie too has caught an array of needles safely, letting them drop to the ground.

“Tch… didn’t hit…”

Cao’er pokes her head out from a nearby roof, frustration etched on her face.

“I see. This is your doing, isn’t it?” Madam Nie looks up.

“Why, a good wife never lets her husband wander off without taking certain precautions, even if it has to be behind his back.” Qilin is perched on the rooftops, swinging her legs in a carefree manner. “Hi, dear.” With a light hop, she reaches you and wraps herself around your arm possessively.

Yunzi, Armaiti, Lingshu and Yifang appear on the roof opposite, and there is a glint of excitement in the Holy Maiden’s eyes. “This should be a good chance to get some answers,” she says, cracking her knuckles in a very unladylike manner. Lingshu and Yifang leap down, freeing Nie Mudan while Madam Nie is still undecided on her next course of action.

“So, what will you do, Madam Nie?” asks Qilin. “Would you like to continue? It may be interesting.”

“You really do take after me,” sighs the mistress of Huashan. “Tian’er, it is time to go. I would not waste anymore of this night on them.”

“It looks like you like to have your women bail you out, Xu Jing,” says Bai Jiutian. She appears to be unruffled by their sudden appearance and the prospect of an imminent fight; in fact, she looks quietly confident. Yunzi lands by your side, eager to confront Bai, but the Huashan disciple points her sword at your motley crew. A menacing killing intent radiates from her, as does a wave of powerful qi: if you attack now, regardless of your advantage in numbers, there will be bloodshed. Neither Madam Nie nor Bai Jiutian will hold back… and faced with Bai’s killing intent, you get a sudden vision of yourself covered in blood. Blood that is not yours. Helpless. Your helpless self, unable to keep the girls safe.

You make your decision. “This is not the time,” you mutter, holding Yunzi back. If they are willing to retreat and leave the twins in your care, your objective is accomplished. Of course, what comes after will be a problem, but you will deal with that when the time comes.

“A wise choice,” smiles Madam Nie. With a wave of her hand, the darkness seems to encroach upon both her and Bai Jiutian. They back away and are soon swallowed up, and in the next second they are no longer anywhere to be seen.

“So, you cannot go a single year without bringing home new women, can you?” Xuezi looks at Shuixian and Mudan, taking time off from snacking on some mantou to make her comment. The twins look rather uncomfortable to be in your room, surrounded by the other girls. Qilin is pacing around them with a predatory look on her face; as they are her half-stepsisters of a sort, you wonder what she thinks of the twins.

“As expected of the greatest pervert and womanizer in history,” says Yunzi.

“Well, he did try to go after my own mother,” laughs Qilin.

“How disgusting.”

“Jing… did it because it was disgusting… right?” smiles Cao’er strangely.

You shake your head firmly and wordlessly.

“Anyway, knowing that woman, we might not have much more time before Nie Wuxing comes looking for his daughters. I would not be surprised if he is knocking at our door any time now,” says Qilin. “What do we do?”

“What do you want to do?” You direct your question at the twins. “I had you run so that you could have time to think, and so that Madam Nie would not control the whole situation. If you want to go back to your father’s side…”

“We want to make him realize that he is wrong about what he is doing,” says Shuixian firmly.

“We don’t really know how to do that, however,” her sister admits, a second later.

“There are three paths for you that I can think of,” says Qilin. “Firstly, you can denounce your mother’s misdeeds in public when your father comes for you.”

“That is likely to disgrace him terribly,” murmurs Lingshu.

“It is also the quickest way,” shrugs Qilin. “You could also return to them, be careful, and bide your time. We will try to pass everything off as a misunderstanding, and everyone gets to save face.”

“Isn’t that dangerous?” asks Yifang. “What if Madam Nie tries something again?”

“Yes,” nods Qilin. “It is a risk they will have to take.”

You wonder if you could try to contact Bai Jiutian and have her work out something for the twins’ safety. Even though she seems to be on the opposing side, she may be persuaded to do something about this.

“We’ve already thought about those two options,” says Nie Mudan. “What is the last path?”

“Have him take responsibility.” Qilin points at you.

“What?” The question is echoed by everyone else in the room.

“Y-you mean…” Shuixian’s face is turning red.

“Yes, just tell your father that Xu Jing is taking all responsibility for his daughters from now on,” says Qilin casually. “He is likely going to be angry and throw a tantrum, but if Jing puts up a good, penitent act he should have no choice but to accept it, especially in front of everyone else. This is the only reason that will work to ensure he lets his daughters go non-violently.”

“This would also harm his reputation, having his daughters taken by a scoundrel of ill-repute,” cackles Xuezi. “A fine, scandalous play, if you can handle the consequences.”

“I must object to this,” says Yunzi suddenly, frowning.

“Me… me too,” Yifang agrees with her, nodding worriedly. “It is just… wrong.”

“Really?” Qilin’s eyes narrow, and she smiles sweetly. “I suppose the added competition worries you?” Outbursts of furious denial meet her verbal jab, and she laughs. “Oh, don’t think I have not overheard what you moan softly at night, while you are asleep and embraced by your dreams. I wonder what dreams they are? Should I mimic your voice? O-“

“T-that’s enough!” Red-faced, Yunzi storms out of the room, followed by Armaiti.

“And that is why chaste holy maidens are such a bother,” grins Qilin.

“Don’t tease her too much. Besides, aren’t you worried about the added competition?” you say, grinning.

“Ah, well…” She wraps her arms around your neck and leans in close to your ear, whispering, “I am not too worried about them; they are no match for me, no? Of course, I may regret underestimating them in the future, but if I think it is the best choice for you at the moment, I will encourage you to make it. So, what do you think?”

You look at the twins. They seem confused and embarrassed; right now, their mental state is one of turmoil. It would probably not be hard to persuade them to take the course of action that you think would be best.

A. You will persuade the twins to confront their parents when Nie inevitably comes for them. Though it will likely drag the entire ugly business out into the light, in front of the other orthodox pugilists, this has been a long time coming.

B. You will persuade the twins to return to their parents and bide their time. In order to keep them safe from Madam Nie in the meantime, you will attempt to work something out with Bai Jiutian. With the right incentives, she is likely to cooperate.

C. You will publicly take responsibility for the twins, likely earning Nie Wuxing’s undying grudge. You will have to put up a great act to ensure this does not destroy your current goodwill with some of the Eight Sects, but you do not doubt that you can pull it off.

D. You will not take responsibility, but will push for the twins' bid for independence from their parents. As Nie will not let it go that easily, this is extremely likely to end in a duel of some sort...

E. You should not be the one to decide; you let the twins decide what they want to do for themselves, even if they do not seem to be in the best state of mind to make that choice. You will try to support them regardless.

F. You leave town under the cover of night, heading towards Xiangyang. You suspect that you may be able to find more clues about Madam Nie there to help the twins decide their next course of action, though Nie Wuxing will likely attempt to hunt you down till then.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I think we're good as it is, the Harem's kind of strained as it is without adding on any more and I don't want to damage relations with the bro sects.

Nevill

Arcane
What reasons do the Eight Sects have to care if we take responsibility for the Twins or not? Why would it affect our reputation? We did not kidnap them or otherwise force them to do this, right?

I understand it would be a scandal, but I can't fully grasp why we would be the villain in this. Maybe I don't get something obvious about what is considered moral or not in the setting. For example, I can't get why merely travelling with a lot of girls has such an effect on our reputation, either.

What are the sects that we expect to have a problem with this?

I am not even saying I want to do this, I am just trying to understand the full range of consequences.

Personally, I am leaning towards D, as I see everything else to be unfair to the Twins.

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
C - This choice is not as a +harem+ from me - it's a leverage building option. Also additional sexual tension in the group is FUN!

Also Tsunzi
:love:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
D is close to full retard option (B) - wonder how soon they wind up:
a) sick/poisoned
b) maimed by unknown assailants
c) dead?

A is stupid because we have NO evidence.

C or E is the way.

Nevill

Arcane
Leverage? What leverage?

If Wuxing lets go of his daughters, they cease to be his problem. He might even denounce them. What use then they are to you, as far as 'leverage' goes?

In D, I imagine they don't go back to their parents - or do they? How far are they willing to push for their independence?

I view D as an option that lets them decide what they want to do with their lives when their head clears up, and accepting the risks of a confrontation with their father in the meantime.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Obvious outs:

E - What was the point of having them run away then?
D - Whereas if we pretend we knocked them up people will at least understand why, afterwards, we must now take care of them, randomly showing up to whiteknight their 'independence', our unorthodox identity against their orthodox, seems weird. This isn't Disney feminist land.
B - Again, why did we do all this if to return them to Madam Nie's turf? They won't be able to do a thing.

So, either we blow shit up (A) or harem them (C).

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I view D as an option that lets them decide what they want to do with their lives when their head clears up, and accepting the risks of a confrontation with their father in the meantime.
I see D as less of an independence thing and more of a ditching them thing. We threw their lives into chaos on a whim, so I think D is just lame of us. Not an argument for C, just saying I don't want to see D take it for those reasons. Plus, the whole "duel" thing...

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
E>D

I think that harem bloat is going to be a problem from now on. Especially with the demon possession. We were lucky that forced inaction this time didn't mean a lot more trouble than it did.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What reasons do the Eight Sects have to care if we take responsibility for the Twins or not? Why would it affect our reputation? We did not kidnap them or otherwise force them to do this, right?

I understand it would be a scandal, but I can't fully grasp why we would be the villain in this. Maybe I don't get something obvious about what is considered moral or not in the setting. For example, I can't get why merely travelling with a lot of girls has such an effect on our reputation, either.

We are not at Victorian levels of prudishness, but it is still widely considered improper for good young women of proper upbringing to travel without a trusted chaperone if they are not nuns. Xu Jing does not in any way qualify as a trusted chaperone.

What are the sects that we expect to have a problem with this?

Every one of them except the beggars.

But the question of impropriety only arises in C as a way to force Nie Wuxing to accept the situation or risk even greater loss of face.

Nevill

Arcane
Here is how I see the choices.

A is out for me, because it should be fairly obvious we don't have a solid evidence to back our words. The twins want their father to admit his wrongdoings and change the way he is running Huashan, but all it would likely to achieve is ruin his reputation because his own family would be speaking against him. I also do not share Elfberserker's belief that he deeply cares about them - after all, he was willing to give one of them away to Man Tiger Pig - whom he despises, - because the political situation called for it. I think he values power and his public face much more than his adopted daughters.

Essentially, we would be exploiting their confusion to use them and then throw them under a bus. It would not help them achieve their goal in the slightest, but it might help us by weakening our enemies' position. A dick move, if there ever was one.

In B, the first thing that would happen is that we would have to give something of value to BJ to ensure her cooperation. And for the moment, WQS is the only thing we have. BJ can probably influence Madam Nie into not attempting anything drastic, but she is a very unreliable 'ally'. If she ever thinks she will gain more by betraying you, she would do it in a heartbeat.

It might pay off somewhere down the line, or we might never hear from them again.

With C, I think they will regret it as soon as the fog clears out from their heads. They called you a pervert just yesterday, and now they are to live their lives with you? There is no way they would agree to it if they were thinking clearly. They will also lose any right to influence their father they might otherwise have, because they would no longer be a part of the Nie family, as far as everyone is concerned. As much as I want them to join our crew, I think we would be taking advantage of them if we do it that way.

In D, I don't really see any substantial downsides, though others will probably fill this void fairly quickly. :) I see it as the most 'fair' choice, and the means to achieve it are pretty straightforward, too. It mentions a duel, and fighting is what we are made for. Not sure if Wuxing would challenge us himself (it is a bit unfair for the leader of the pugilistic world to challenge a boy), or if he would delegate this to his favorite Bai Jiutian on a condition that his daughters would have to return to him should we lose. I think our chances to pull it off are quite high, especially if Bai or whoever ends up as our opponent would not be fighting to kill - as should be the case in the orthodox duel.

E does strike me as a bit disingenious. We know they are in no condition to make a sound choice that would be in their best interests, yet we press them into making it anyway. It does not matter if we do our best to support someone's life choice if it was a poor choice to begin with. It is just shifting the responsibility.

How the heck are they supposed to distance themselves from their parents and survive? We threw their lives into chaos on a whim, so I think D is just lame of us. Not an argument for C, just saying I don't want to see D take it for those reasons. Plus, the whole "duel" thing...
It's not exactly a whim. They want to make their father listen, but they lack a voice to be heard. C does not grant them their wish, and robs them of any chances they might have had.

As for the survival - I expect it to go the same way as Lingshu thought it would for her. They go out in the world and make a name for themselves, instead of being a pair of dolls and spare change in their parents' negotiations. It seems to be working out for Miss Song even despite our initial screw up in Qingcheng, does it not?

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Well we probably should not be fighting duels (probably against BJ or Nie) until our arm is actually stable so not inclined to go with D. No proof in A, as already mentioned, makes it rather unappealing. In B I can see no compelling reason why Madam Nie could not brainwash/discipline the twins as soon as they are alone with her, with or without BJ's consent, and to get them even a little protection we will likely have to make BJ even more powerful.

So that leaves C and E and of the two only C is an actual decision. E simply shifts the responsibility to the twins which may get us any outcome. C also seems like it has a fairly good chance to work though it will probably lead to a rep hit with the orthodox sects, at least until we can explain things to them...

E>C

It is not Jing's call to make. He gave them a chance, Qilin has laid out their options, now they have to figure out what they want to do. Simple as that really. A C-like scenario is probably safest for them but that sort of scandal will tarnish them and their father, at least in the short term, they should be the ones to make the call here as it is their family they will be ruining.

Failing that though might as well go with the option that keeps them reasonably safe until we can get our answers.

Nevill

Arcane
Well we probably should not be fighting duels (probably against BJ or Nie) until our arm is actually stable so not inclined to go with D.
Why would we not make our injury known, then, to have a fair challenge? The Saint would back us, too.

Actually, I have mentioned that we don't have a compelling reason to keep our deal with the Saint a secret, only the circumstances of the said deal.

I also find it strange that we now try to avoid combat, even though half of the voters were pressing for a fight just an update ago. Granted, that might have been the other half. :)

I guess I'll vote D.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Why would we not make our injury known, then, to have a fair challenge? The Saint would back us, too.

I don't really want people to know we are not at the top of our game. Some of our enemies would ruthlessly exploit that fact. I doubt Madam Nie and BJ would have been as hesitant to engage as they were if they knew we were weakened for example.

I also don't want to drag the Saint into things if we don't have to. The man is a true bro, gave us his very arm, but he has done enough for us already. I don't think it is 'right' to drag him into another fight on our behalf unless there are no other viable alternatives.

Nevill

Arcane
I don't really want people to know we are not at the top of our game. Some of our enemies would ruthlessly exploit that fact. I doubt Madam Nie and BJ would have been as hesitant to engage as they were if they knew we were weakened for example.
But they engaged us nonetheless, and our allies have bailed us out. What is the point of travelling with a whole entourage if you never rely on them? Together we can stop a small army - our temporary weakness is just an inconvenience when we have all these people to watch our back.

Why would we be dragging the Saint in a fight? We had an option to confess the loss of our arm to the Twins, didn't we? Why can't we confess it to the world? Why would he have to fight on anyone's behalf to confirm that?

Eh, it was a hypothetical situation, anyway.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
But they engaged us nonetheless, and our allies have bailed us out. What is the point of travelling with a whole entourage if you never rely on them? Together we can stop a small army - our temporary weakness is just an inconvenience when we have all these people to watch our back.

Yes they did but they held back and I am not sure they would have if they knew we are 'weak'.

Look, it is like going into a fight with a guy you know has a bad knee. If you are not the type to worry about 'honour' then you are going to hit that knee, early, often and with something heavy, until he can not move, as it is the quickest way to victory. I don't like the idea of our enemies knowing that our arm might come off if they push us hard enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom