Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave, well, could we make it a weiqi match against Nie Wuxing?

When it comes to custody, it seems to me that Nie Wuxing has the authority on the matter.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
How does us fighting prove that twins are ready for independence?
A good question. I'll raise you another one - how does anyone fighting proves their readiness for independence? What do these two things have in common?

What capabilities do you need to live your life the way you want? To be able to punch your father in the face if he does not allow it? Does it mean that as long as your father is stronger than you, you have no right to decide anything for yourself?

Why do you think this 'duel' is supposed to be a test of anyone's capabilities, and not just an attempt to force the matter in a publicly acceptable way?

I like the Weii proposal, sign me in if that becomes an option.
The whole point is that we don't know if that's an option.

I assume that Individuals usually at least show qualities that they are ready to live independent life. For those who live by fighting like twins do, I assume that fighting ability is at least part of showing that you are ready to go without your mentor holding your hand.
Of course there might be other qualities too and maybe twins don't have beat their opponent, but show that they can stand their ground.

But whatever duel/test or whatever it is, I don't think that Xu Jing will be one to do it but the twins.
All I am saying don't bet Xu Jing do all their trials.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But whatever duel/test or whatever it is, I don't think that Xu Jing will be one to do it but the twins.
All I am saying don't bet Xu Jing do all their trials.
Yes, this is something to consider as well. As I said, we have no idea about the duel.

Still, we were able to interfere on Xuxian's behalf, so I guess something like this could be arranged here as well.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You're making the challenge, you don't really get to dictate the terms.

Nevill

Arcane
You're making the challenge, you don't really get to dictate the terms.
What do you mean by 'making the challenge'? That we would be the one proposing that this should be decided in a challenge, and that their parents get to make the rules?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If the twins want to change the status quo and leave their parents legitimately, they're the challengers, no?

It doesn't mean you don't get a say, but you certainly can't expect to get everything your own way, like specifying both the match type and your opponent.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Wait a minute.
Just to make clear things for retard like me, it's the twins who make the challenge and not Xu Jing?

Nevill

Arcane
Well, it gets a bit murky when we don't know what it means to leave one's parents legitimately in ancient China.

For a moment there, I was under assumption that it would be their parents who would propose a challenge to keep them under control. Though the Twins would end up the challengers either way.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well since twin flowers are proper ladies of good upbringing of orthodox leader I asuume it involves one of these things.

- Fighting ability
- ability to act like good dignified lady
- Restrain for not running in love after any low life men
- Not to shame their father by doing dirty unorthodox tricks.
- Good poetry like any good noble like lady.
- Good at weiqi?

That's all I think off

Nevill

Arcane
All right, I am completely confused as to whether there will be a fight or a poetry match, who will be opposing whom, and how do we fit into this picture at all when by all means it looks like an internal family matter.

Still, things got interesting enough for me to pick up D again.

:avatard:

Kipeci D>B
Lambchop19 C>E
Jester E>D
Akkudakku C
Kashmir Slippers E>D
Azira A
Fangshi E>C
Nevill D
Grimgravy E
Absinthe A>D>F
Rex Feral D
Kz3r0 C
TOME D>E
Tribute C>F>A
Elfberserker D
asxetos C
Bloodshifter C
Sunnmøring F> !C
Tigranes A>D

A - 3 (1) Absinthe & Tigranes -> D
B - 0
C - 6 (7)
D - 5 (10)
E - 4 (1) Kashmir Slippers & Jester -> D, Fangshi -> C
F - 1 (0) Sunnmøring -> D

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
eeh, flopping to D
Xu Jing must continue being biggest feminism in the land and continue fight patriarchy!

In no any shape or order do I want to watch that comedy godl when Nie wuxing has that time stopping face of pure shock/confusion sheer wtf when his daughter challenge him to become independent.
Nor anyway I am eager to hear the trolling mouth of Xu Jing, while Nie wuxing pleads or yells towards his daughters in vain attempt to keep twin flowers under his caring fatherly hand.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Cold Morning

You did not have to wait until morning for Nie Wuxing to demand that you return the twins; in the first place, you did not expect him to sit around idly when his daughters’ chastity is at stake anyway. By the time you got around to a decision with the twins, and the business of arranging a meeting place, however, the sun had begun to rise over the river.

In the early hours of dawn, Banhe Town’s central square is deserted, the dozens of vendors that keep its nightlife thriving having closed their stalls and returned home after a good night’s work. The only people in the chilly square at the moment are those who are about to be involved in ‘a rather bothersome spot of trouble’, as the Sword Saint put it. He did not seem too enthused about getting dragged into this matter, but Nie Wuxing had made a personal request seeking his aid as a mediator.

Upon seeing you and his daughters, Nie advances, striding forth with purpose.

“Father-“

“Did he touch the both of you?” he barks gruffly. He seems calmer than you had expected: you had come thinking that Nie’s face would have been purple with rage. Looking past him, you catch Madam Nie gazing at you and smiling faintly.

“N-no, father, nothing of the sort, but-“

Giving you a withering glance, Nie Wuxing continues, “It is time to put an end to this foolishness and come back. I will chalk this up to the folly of youth and let things be.” His daughters stare up at him, and you wonder if they will capitulate.

“No. We will not be returning.” Nie Shuixian is the first to reject her father’s demand. It looks like they have decided to follow through with the plan.

Nie Wuxing sighs heavily, as if he had expected such an answer all along. “Xu Jing’s words of poison have gotten to you, it seems. I thought you had more sense than that, Shuixian. Mudan, please do not tell me that you share your sister’s sentiment?”

Nie Mudan shrinks back slightly. “I will stay with Shuixian.”

“This is a disgrace,” mutters Nie. His gaze turns back to you, accusing and eager to cast blame. “Are you going to take responsibility for them, then?”

“Me?” You shake your head, grinning. “Of course not!”

Nie Wuxing’s scowl only grows deeper at your answer. “What do you mean?” he asks, his voice showing restraint.

“Your daughters have to take responsibility for themselves. Come now, Master Nie, you know that you cannot coddle them forever?”

“Preposterous! I will not allow you to toy with my daughters and then leave them to do as you please!” shouts Nie, finally enraged.

“He did not lay a finger on us, father!” pleads Shuixian.

“That’s right,” you nod. “Not a single finger at all.”

“You expect me to believe that? You? Restraining yourself with women?” Nie jabs his finger at the air, pointing at your chest.

“I assure you, Master Nie, the stories about my prowess are highly exaggerated. You need only ask your wife.”

“Xu Jing!” snaps Madam Nie suddenly, “Do not spread any more of your spurious lies. Now, what you actually mean is that you wish for our daughters to be like Miss Song of Qingcheng, do you not?”

“It is their wish, not mine,” you clarify, although you had spent time persuading them that it was the right thing to do.

Nie Wuxing looks at Lingshu, and then shakes his head. It seems that he will not comment on what he thinks about her actions; it would probably be undiplomatic to speak his thoughts at this moment. Turning to his daughters instead, he warns, “If that is what you wish... If you want to walk the jianghu alone, against the wishes of your family and your sect, this is tantamount to cutting all ties with us. You will be exiled. You will no longer be considered disciples of Huashan… and I will no longer consider you my daughters.”

Shuixian and Mudan give each other a nervous look. Then, they nod resolutely.

Nie seems taken aback by their agreement. “Are you sure? Do not make this decision rashly,” he says softly. They nod a second time, and he closes his eyes. “Very well. The rules of our sect are clear.” He raises his hand. “Those exiled from Huashan are to be stripped of all Huashan arts, by force if necessary!”

Exerting his qi, he brings his palm down in a powerful strike designed to cripple their meridians.

The twins squeeze their eyes shut, huddling together.

“What is this?” Nie Wuxing frowns, glaring at you. You have darted in front of him, blocking his palm with your fist at the last second. Behind you, you can feel the twins’ surprised stare boring into your back.

“I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, Master Nie. Don’t you think you are being too mean to your daughters?” you grin.

“They are no longer my daughters, thanks to your lies!” he roars.

“You may talk when you put your own cowardly skin on the line to take responsibility for what you have done,” growls Nie.

“Hey,” says the Sword Saint suddenly. He has remained silent and rather disinterested in the proceedings thus far, and his voice draws the attention of everyone in the square to him. “I just realized that if you cripple your daughters here, they are going to die sooner or later if they want to be involved in the jianghu.”

“That is the point of a punishment,” says Madam Nie.

“Yes, yes, I know,” sighs Shangguan Chuji as he scratches his head with his one good hand. “I suppose settling it with a duel is the traditional way to handle these things. You do know that the code dictates you fight your daughters, right?”

Nie replies reluctantly. “Yes. If they insist on becoming independent, they cannot shy away from their obligations to the pugilistic world. I would rather that they die than disgrace themselves even further. But in this case… this Xu Jing is the culprit behind the whole mess. He cannot be allowed to get away without answering for his deeds.”

“It is our own decision, father,” insists Nie Shuixian.

“If there is to be a fight, I will step up to it. Xu Jing has nothing to do with this,” adds Nie Mudan.

“You… imbecilic daughters of mine!” splutters Nie Wuxing.

Bai Jiutian makes a small polite cough as she steps forward. “Shifu, if I may?”

“Yes, what is it, Jiutian?” grumbles Nie irritatedly.

“Rather than a traditional duel, why not make it a test of both wits and strength?” she suggests. “As disciples of Huashan we pride ourselves on being well-rounded pugilists, steeped in the culture of martial arts as art. A brutish duel would not be a fitting way to handle this matter.”

“What do you have in mind, then?” you ask.

“Still a duel,” she smiles, “but one that tests both your mind and body. It will be a mock duel where the duelists are to move according to the exact instructions of their partner, who will not be involved directly in the fight.”

You understand what she is getting at: this is how Master Zhang instructed you against the Castration Nuns of Emei a few years ago.

“Three duelists and one tactician from each side, competing in a game of strategy, skill and understanding of martial arts. It is a training method we commonly use in Huashan,” explains Bai.

“Bai-shixiong is right,” says Mudan. “We’ve done this before.”

“It makes no difference… my wayward daughters will still face their responsibility in the end.” Stepping back, Nie Wuxing places one hand on the hilt of his Chunjun Sword. “If you are a true man and pugilist, Xu Jing, you will face me in battle.”

“Just so you know, if you try to fight your way out and escape without a proper end to things, I will attempt to stop you,” says the Sword Saint. He is looking directly at you. “Since I have accepted this troublesome role, I will try to see it through to the end.”

A. You elect to go with the duel.
1. You will duel Nie Wuxing yourself.
2. You let the twins duel Nie Wuxing.

B. You elect to go with Bai Jiutian’s mock duel.
Select a team of 3 duelists and 1 tactician from these members:
I.
Xu Jing
II. Nie Shuixian
III. Nie Mudan
IV. Chi Qilin
V. Cao’er
VI. Yunzi
VII. Armaiti
VIII. Song Lingshu
IX. Yifang
X. Xuezi

C. Make up your own suggestion, although if the other side does not agree to it, you will likely have to accept one of the other alternatives or flee, forcing the Sword Saint to act against you.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Should have taken responsibility. *sigh* our poor harem is always getting neglected...

B
duelists238
tactician10>1

Xuezi is the obvious win as a tactician. It's just a question of if we can trust her. I believe we can. My choice of duelist may change, but I don't like the idea of us attacking their father right now and I want to give Song a chance to pay them back for what they just said.

As for the twins, as I said, they have experience following directions in a fight like this and it may be that not all of the others would be willing to follow every direction.

Also, it's interesting that Bai would suggest this, knowing that they've done this before. It almost looks as if she's trying to give them a fighting chance.

Nevill

Arcane
Well...

:avatard:

That went not exactly as expected.

We can't leave the duel with Wuxing to the Twins. Not only they would be less than willing to fight their father, but he surpassess them in skill by leaps and bounds.

I suppose we would be able to defeat Wuxing if we fall back to our WQS, although we would have to pay a hefty price for the victory. Not to mention that Madam Nie will immediately send everyone and their dog after us if BJ didn't tell her about us already.

The mock duel seems to be the our most realistic chance out of the three, but also the most complex to get right. I imagine Bai Jiutian will volunteer as a duelist and Madam Nie will be the tactician. treave, who would be the third duelist on team Nie? Do they choose from the people present? Who else is around?

I wonder how would Xuezi fare as a tactician. Her fighting experience is immense, but her communication skills are lacking, to say the least. Still, she does get her point across rather quickly when she puts her mind to it.

We might fall back to Qilin as a Madam Nie Jr., but I expect her to lack a certain deviousness that comes with age.

My first drafts would be:

Tactician - Xuezi
Xu Jing, Yunzi and Armaiti - for team Fire. How well Yunzi would be able to listen to the orders is anyone's guess.

Tactician - Xuezi
Xu Jing, and the Twins - we all have had experience with this kind of combat before, and we are responsible for this mess. It would be fitting to face the challenge together.

Tactician - Qilin, as she is familiar with Madam Nie's methods and can extrapolate what works for the Twins and what doesn't, though she knows nothing about Huashan martial arts
Xu Jing, and the Twins - as per above.

Last edited:

Nevill, one thing I should mention that I didn't mention in my post above. The catch is it's one of those paranoid things you hate, but I'll mention it anyway:

While I do trust Xuezi to win the match - her pride would not allow her to throw it - I do not trust her in controlling Jing against Nie. I have a sneaking suspicion that she will use us to kill him. Nie's death may be Madam Nie's goal. Now that she has born him an heir, if he dies, control of the family will fall to her. If she had struck a bargain with Xuezi on this for the manual, it may be that thing that Xuezi wants to order us to do without question at some point in the future.
Again, this is just an off the wall theory.

Plus, I like the idea of us trolling Nie's challenge to our honor and making him fight a bunch of girls, including his daughters. :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipeci

Arcane
Might it work to have Cao'er as the tactician? She has crazy good intelligence and perception to process everything on the field of battle as well as what to focus on in a fight given her medical training.

Might it work to have Cao'er as the tactician? She has crazy good intelligence and perception to process everything on the field of battle as well as what to focus on in a fight given her medical training.
I considered this too, but she doesn't have a tactician's mind or much combat experience. It's not enough to see your enemy. You also have to know what to do.

Nevill

Arcane
The catch is it's one of those paranoid things you hate, but I'll mention it anyway
Nah, I love paranoid things. :)

The theory is not something I have considered, but if Wuxing's death is Xuezi's goal, then I don't see why it would be better that she kills him through some other teammate of ours. Do you think that others will not follow her instructions with complete trust? If so, then we have already lost.

No, I think we have no choice but to place our faith in the tactician. Xuezi promised to listen to us if we did her a favor in the future - in words of Uncle Huodu, why would she sabotage her own powerbase like that?

Not only that, but the control of the family is already in Madam Nie's hands. She can make Wuxing do whatever she wants, even sell his own daughters to Man Tiger Pig. In the great scheme of things, Wuxing is a puppet, nothing more. And it is best for the puppeteer to pull strings from behind the curtain.

I considered this too, but she doesn't have a tactician's mind or much combat experience. It's not enough to see your enemy. You also have to know what to do.
Yes, one of the things Xuezi has that nobody else here doesn't is a knowledge of tactics from time immemorial as well as the knowledge of most martial arts schools. She was probably around when the sects were first found and she had fought them all. At once, even.

Last edited:

The catch is it's one of those paranoid things you hate, but I'll mention it anyway
THe theory is not something I have considered, but if Nie's death is Xuezi's goal, then I don't see why it would be better that she kill him through some other teammate of ours. Do you think that others will not follow her instructions with complete trust? If so, then we have already lost.
The others don't possess the raw power that we do and I doubt that Nie's daughters or the kind Miss Song would possess the killer instinct to do it. Jing, on the other hand, has been killing people since before the LP started. If it gets Xuezi the manual, it'd all be worth it to her. Maybe. Just a theory.
Not only that, but the control of the family is already in Madam Nie's hands.
It looks like that to us from the outside, but she still has to convince him to act in order to accomplish her purposes. It could be that there is a future action she has planned that she knows he won't take. Something only she has the will to order.

Nevill

Arcane
It looks like that to us from the outside, but she still has to convince him to act in order to accomplish her purposes. It could be that there is a future action she has planned that she knows he won't take. Something only she has the will to order.
I don't subscribe to that theory, as Wuxing makes for a perfect leader because of his impeccable reputation that makes him above suspicion, something that Madam Nie does not really have. If she has to order something utterly despicable that she wouln't be able to convince her husband to do, it would be a problem to make the others follow.

Plus, seeing how Bai Jiutian is certain that women are not fit to lead a faction, I think there is some sentiment in Huashan to that effect.

No, I think Madam Nie have found her perfect place. Now, if she can get Bai Jiutian installed as the next head, that might be a problem. In theory, she has even more power over Tian'er than over her own husband - or so she thinks. Still, I do not really believe that.

The others don't possess the raw power that we do and I doubt that Nie's daughters or the kind Miss Song would possess the killer instinct to do it.
I think we will be preoccupied with Bai Jiutian, to be honest. There is no one else we can trust this fight to. :)

Xu Jing is probably a better tactician than Xuezi and Qilin both.
We never got to raise that scholarly knowledge sufficiently. :(

We are more of an impromptu guy.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I imagine Bai Jiutian will volunteer as a duelist and Madam Nie will be the tactician. treave, who would be the third duelist on team Nie? Do they choose from the people present? Who else is around?

Most probably Zhang Minyue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom