Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
    There is one thing to consider: the "wonder twins" might balk at the idea of fighting near their father, being the good little Orthodox pujilists they are.

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    If there is no murder, there is no problem. That's how I see it. Besides, those girls are all inferior to him in skill, they simply can't kill him even if they try. Two of them are his daughters known for their filial nature (prior to this, at least).

It is going to sound laughable.

No one from our own block will believe him. As for Wuxing himself, he is going to hate us for stealing his daughters and for losing on his own field regardless.

I would not be overly concerned with our reputation here, especially not the one with Huashan. That one is going to be unsalvageable.

So would our three opponents. Wuxing will have to direct them in a way so as to not get hit, and they will try their best not to hit him - which might disqualify them for not complying with his commands if he errs in his judgement.

The girls have promised to listen to us. It's either this, or the life of a cripple.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    ^ Top  
  3. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Perhaps.

There is also a fact that the girls have to go past Bai Jiutian.
    In another alternative dismension turning our back to Bai Jiutian left us having gigantic boner while we were dying. Of course the girls will not suffer such indegnious end, but giving a opening to Bai Jiutian sounds just bad idea.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    She can't react to that on her own, without Wuxing's command, though. If Wuxing does not expect it, he can't counter it. That's our opening.

^ Top  
  5. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    He is not that stupid not to exploit the chance when girls run past their opponents and their backs towards Bai Jiutian and company.
    Now You are just understimating him as tacician.

Just to be safe side, Treave how much distance there is between tacticians and duelists?

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'm not sure how to answer that question in a way useful to you without having to go into how many meters an average pugilist can cover per second, and I don't feel like doing that sort of calculation to be honest. At any rate, it's a just a small town square.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Is it possible to say reach with single jump/leap to either tactician?

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Why do they have to run past her with their back turned, and not just quickly retreat that way as they trade blows with her?

Why can't they swap places with our opponents? We do it all the time in our duels.

To me, that's an artificial difficulty.

Anyway, I assume that using ourselves as a living shield is not going to be very effective with Bai Jiutian, who would only be glad to have an accident - and it would be our fault for interfering with the fight, too.

There is also a question of maintaining our concentration while trying to dodge strikes left and right. Keeping everyone in our field of vision is going to be tricky for us and trivial for Wuxing.

I would prefer it over any of the standard tactics, though.

CA>DA.

^ Top  
  9. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    It would ruin her reputation tho, and they will lose the duel.
    I think that we should try something unexpected but at the same time not overly dickysh, hence my vote for D, C would look like an attack at the other team tactician while using ourselves as a shield still being trollish would be more 'proper'.

^ Top  
  10. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    B and D are both looking fail to me. B because our crew isn't used to the insanely dangerous sort of fighting that Jing does, and D because Jing's own concentration will suffer when he's between the Tai'e and Chixiao Swords with Bai Jiutian adding hostile intent to the mix and the Chengying Sword sniping hits whenever we lose focus.

That leaves A and C. Voting 2A because we need to make up for the disadvantage in experience.

CA>AA

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    ^ Top  
  11. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    It says so in choice.

C. You have the girls move forward quickly, running towards and past Nie Wuxing. They never defined the arena for the fight after all. Let’s see him direct a fight when the fighters are jumping all around him.

They try to quickly as they can to move past Nie wuxing hence turning their back to enemy.

^ Top  
  12. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    As for out own tactical ability to command while fighters are jumping around us.
    We have been trained by Zhang Jue.

We are used to situations like these.

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    It's bad form to attack the tactician, but it's a bad form to interfere, too. Both sides would violate the rules, so it's not all that clear-cut.

Anyway, it's not the injury I am afraid of, it's losing. The same things that I expect to ruin the fight for Wuxing would be in play against us in D. The fact that we would be the perpetrator will be in our favor, but it still would be a mixed blessing.

Still. Liu Qi and zhang Minyue are not antagonistic towards us. We saved Minyue's life, and Qi knows us as the Emperor's savior. It might help our chances to involve ourselves, if you think they are likely to hesitate.

I guess I'll amend it to include D as a secondary vote..

Care to provide an actual example of us commanding anyone in a similar situation? Because I can't.

^ Top  
  14. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Elfberserker, we're not used to shouting orders in situations like these, though. Even if we can hold our composure better than most with something like that, we're already operating at a disadvantage, and this would only create another disadvantage.

Worst case scenario, Bai Jiutian provokes an arm reflex from Jing with killing intent and a move that comes too close for comfort, and we auto-lose for engaging as tactician.

D is just fail.

^ Top  
  15. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    We have been gone throught most hellish training in whole china. Our soul has been tempered by most brutal and frigtfully of opponents like Yang Xue and Zhang Jue. We have been inside of living fire with insane firelord.
    If that sort of training doesn't gave us nerve of steel then I do not know what kind of training could preapere ourself to that

^ Top  
  16. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Where does it says that Bai Jiutian is radiating killing intent? I would assume it to be bad form to radiate killing intent in mock duel.

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nerves of steel are fine. It does not, however, provide us the sort of mental concentration that would help us not to fall asleep at history lessons.

Does our training affect our ability to keep concentrating on our qi, command a battle, keep everyone in sight and throw ourselves into the mix now and then - all at the same time?

I don't know. I see no connection between one and the other.

^ Top  
  18. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    The following pressures will be on Jing with a D vote:

Bai Jiutian
    Being caught between Chixiao and Tai'e swords

To top it off, Jing cannot really afford to let his attention waver from the Chengying Sword.

Even if Jing can handle the pressure as a person, he's not at a level where his ability to strategize would remain unimpeded.

^ Top  
  19. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    It does affect our ability to concentrate in such high risk high reward situations.
    Keep in mind that opponents moves are also disturbed by human shield, so they are not excactly free to do as they please.

We have been able to think clearly in highly dangerous situations since we left the palace. I don't see how it would change in this situation.

Why not?
    Xu Jing has shown good tactical thinking and out of the box line of thinking in dangerous situation.
    We have to remember that at these people are highly skilled orthodox fighters and they don't have blatant disregard for rules like we do.

I Myself I am more worried about the girls getting attacked by Bai Jiutian while they are running towards and past Nie wuxing rather than having fighters jumping around us.

^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Eh, you see what you want to see. There was a concern that 'turning our back' to BJ during our retreat from Banhe town would end with a sword in our back, too. Nothing of a sort happened, and we managed to fight her off successfully as she pursued us.

You say that Wuxing will be able to react and use that opening against us - which I doubt, since no one have attempted this before, and the man has trouble adapting, as we've seen several times - but we are also there to spot and counter it. In the end, it is just a choice of overall strategy, there is no need to fret over each single step and think up Shulgi scenarios.

I don't see this situation as dangerous. I see it as confusing. We can't let our attention waver too much - the moment we lose control over our qi, it will collapse back into chaos, and then it's over. The more distractions there are, the more difficult it is going to be for us:
    I am not saying it is going to fail, I just see the potential risks involved in it.

^ Top  
  21. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Because Jing doesn't have much experience with being a tactician in the first place and he cannot afford to let his attention waver or the Chengying Sword will do bad things.

As long as Bai Jiutian does not actually attack Jing, she wouldn't be breaking the rules. Bai Jiutian's personal animosity with Jing is known, and she can get away with it by saying it only happened because we were the ones trying to play dirty, and she just couldn't restrain her hostile intent being so near us.

^ Top  
  22. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  23. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    There is still a big risk that Nie wuxing will use that mmoment of opportunity when girls are trying damnest to go past him instead fully focused on fighting their opponents. Nie wuxing might not be most smartest or adaptile creature in world, but he is not stupid and neither inexperienced
    It's not like what we are trying some genius like move here, but simple unorthodox line of thinking so I doubt that Nie Wuxing will be that stunned, especially when he expects us to use dirty tricks

Keep in mind that Nie wuxing is as much as human shield as we are in D.
    If any of girls accidently hit him while he panics then it's gameover.

You do know that Klling intent can be controlled and others can feel it too? We have Sword Saint to watch over match and I think he is capable enought to smell that kind of bullshit.
    Moving fighters towards Nie wuxing is enought to cause alarm with anyone with any brains cells to think we have something more sinistral in our sleeve.
    It doesn't matter what our intentitations are or did our fighters hit Nie wuxing, because our reputation is so bad and we do have bad blood with Nie wuxing that people will think that we intentionally put Nie wuxing in danger.
    That kind of dickish move , which could be interrepted as intentionally to cause bodily harm or assanation is against spirit of this match and sword saint might think it's pretty dick move so he could disqualifyi us even if he has been pretty bro.

With D there can be no such intention to be shown from us since the fighters are jumping around us. We just have to trust Zhang to not to stap us in the gut with that sword of hers.

^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    As I said, it would be our job to guide them there. It's not like we give a command and then whistle a merry tune, watching the girls fend for themselves.

Well, in D, we will be purposefully throwing ourselves in a way of our opponent's weapons, as it would be a part of our strategy. Nie Wuxing won't do that.

We trace and react to the movements of three opponents already. It will simply add the forth one into the mix.

But yes, I agree that it is, too, a risk. I just hope that the intensive use of WQS will help us predict erratic movements on the part of our opponents and prevent them on the part of our allies, and I also believe he is skilled enough not to get hit even if all our girls tried to kill him on purpose, much less by accident.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.