Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Well, what I meant is that even for those people that we consider ours, it would probably be detrimental if we go for the genocidal maniac route.

But I guess the list of people who have irreconcilable differences with us can easily be readjusted and expanded, if need be.

That would still probably leave us with Cao'er.

^ Top  
  2. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    FLOP A
    Holly crap hidden Scarface option.

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    The Adam and Eve Fuxi and Nuwa of the New World.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  4. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    I'm probably going to vote C (and will do so for now), on the basis that A) Qi Liuwu is also our bro, B) having our bro at the head of a large and respected sect is probably going to help us, hopefully here, but definitely in the future, and C) choosing to help Qi Liuwu has never gone badly for us before.

^ Top  
  5. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    I'm going to vote D. Jing goes with Cao'er, Yifang, Lingshu, Xuezi, but Qilin, Yunzi, and Ameretat join Twins, Xsaora Vairya, and Armaiti.

That way we can accomplish two goals at once immediately.

^ Top  
  6. Grimgravy Cipher Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  7. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Adding more firepower to Vairya's team doesn't do anything useful.

edit: To clarify, the beggars can handle it - they did it in Yangzhou after all - but going there allows you to have a say in how it is handled and also increases good relations.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. asxetos Augur

asxetos
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The mere fact we are sending Vairya in there suggests to me that it is going to be handled with XTREME prejudice. :lol:

Poor Twins. They probably didn't think making a name for themselves would involve beating up hobos in tandem with Fire people when they signed up.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    B, maybe? The Black Dragon Society seems to be at the center of a lot of rather nasty things... though, treave will we attempt to rescue our old master even if we don't go with A and we get word that things have gone poorly?

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    All three routes join back up. Whether it's to rescue or for some other reason by then is a different matter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    An interesting thing to consider is that BDS are actively searching for the manuals - have murdered the whole Jinkong sect in order to find the Jiuyang Divine Scroll, actually - and we know for a fact that Madam Nie has one.

Whether that information can be used is a good question, though.

Also, just out of curiosity, treave, how do we address the Twins? We still call Lingshu by her family name, 'Miss Song', but are we calling them 'Miss Nie #1' and 'Miss Nie #2'? Or are we on a first name basis with them? No wonder they feel awkward around us! :D

Do they even get to keep their family name after the exile? Since they were adopted in the first place, and now Nie family have renounced them.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    ^ Top  
  13. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I don't have anything against helping the beggars, I think it would end well, but surely it makes no sense to go to a situation which will resolve itself in our favour anyway, at the expense of resolving situations which won't without our intervention. Yao and Miecao are probably doomed if we don't pick A (and maybe even if we do pick A). Same with Zuo & wife.

B is the most likely to get us something beneficial in terms of new information, especially about the manuals. It might also be easier to break the two out since it's a straightforward 'we're here for you' deal, whereas with A we can't really declare that and we'd have to see what loophole we can insert ourselves into in the trial proceedings.

B>A for now. I feel like B has best chances of a positive result and it'll be hard for us to make a difference in A - but I can only imagine how Cao'er would feel if we didn't try...

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, I am going by this quote:
    I just hope we would be able to get back in time, preferrably with the information that can upset the trial.

^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I don't think we'll be able to do anything useful at the trial: Uncle Mao is basically calling Lingshu out here, either she sides with us and abandons her sect or sides with the sect and breaks her alliance with us (after which we slaughter her whole school). Best we can hope for is either arranging an escape for Yao and Miecao or somehow delaying the trial (Elfberserker's plan is a good one, provided we find the right evidence). I honestly don't see what we can do in A.
    All he needs to do is take off his robe and flex his pectorals, victory will be assured. Everyone else is just there for decoration. The Twins are the cheerleading squad.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    We're only doing it to get pegged again.

^ Top  
  18. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
  19. Kashmir Slippers Magister

Kashmir Slippers
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, if Jing thought that choosing any of the paths would result in Yao's untimely death, he probably wouldn't even consider it. However, it is true that what Jing thinks and how things really are are two different things.

The party that goes to the court without Jing is not very combat-oriented. There are only Yifang and Lingshu to speak of, and the latter is undesided about what she wants to do. She does look like a person who values personal loyalties and sympathies over her duty, especially in such murky circumstances, but the matter is complicated enough that she could swing both ways.

It is highly unlikely that this group alone would be able to bail Yao out if things go wrong. If we go with them, we can ensure that at least Yao escapes.

However, we probably would not be able to achieve a favorable outcome for the trial itself, or 'win' it, if you want, nor would we be able to acquire more information about Madam Nie's involvement. How important it might be in the light of the Fire Cult's participation in the beggar civil war and us falling behind in the investigation of the current plots, is up to you to decide.

The fact remains that Madam Nie knows much more about us than we do about her, has a confident lead as far as the hunt for the manuals is concerned, and now suspects that we also have one. Her allies, zhangs, still remain untouchable, and even plan to get in the Emperor's good graces again (ha-ha, more likely, they tested the waters on how big and scary a force they could muster, and had a huge success with wiping out the Bandit Kingdom the Tang Army couldn't touch for years). This might concern the well-being of our whole group, not just Yao.

The Black Dragon Society is involved in many or all of these shady dealings. They are hosting the trial at the behest of Mao Sanjiao. They are supplying Madam Nie with convicts and slaves (and we know at least some of these slaves are Han people). They are sheltering Chief You and his clique. They are holding hostages for the zhang clan and use them to force their relatives to support Huashan agenda.

A strike against the BDS might be decisive for our 'victory' here, provided we handle the matter correctly. Alternatively, as I think we will be discovered sooner or later, there might be an option to haggle with them, leaving them time to erase the evidence and escape in exchange for them withdrawing their support from Nie and Mao. Finally, there is a matter of them participating in the manual hunt, and we know where to look for them (I wonder if Madam Nie didn't tip them off about us having WQS as well). It can be approached from many angles.

Of course, if we fail here, then it will all fall apart.

The operation is non-trivial, and I am afraid, a group without us would only be able to achieve a partial success here - freeing the parents and finding some leads, for example, but failing to find or free the kids and ensure the family's cooperation. Or they themselves might get in trouble. It is a delicate choice, but I feel that if done right, it has the most potential.

P.S. I also wonder if Pang Xiaohu have scattered to the winds, or if he stayed behind to pay a little debt.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    FLOPPAN! B!

^ Top  
  22. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    Based on treave's "There is absolutely no way DEMONZ JING is just going to leave Yao to his fate" I assumed none of the options led to "the people who depend on us are inevitably doomed".

^ Top  
  23. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Sorta. Obviously if your only goal is to keep Yao safe being there from the start is the most reliable choice to start off with. It's not like they can ring you up at any moment to update you on the trial proceedings, so that you can drop everything and hurry over in case of an emergency. There are no zero risk choices for this one.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Voting A then.

^ Top  
  25. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.