Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tribute

Arbiter
This might be especially bad if some big shots from eight sect flee from china and start new hueshan or wudang school in new foreign country...
That is a point. If we agree to this we're basically putting our bros through exactly wwhat the Fire Cult went through back in Persia.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I think what is ironic here is that perhaps the best way to prevent super powered mass destruction martial artist happening is by having all these diffrent schools. We know that they try fiercyly uphoald ideals of chivalry and go-doodery, even if sometimes there will be corrupt generation like Nie Wuxing generation, but there will be always Frathouse boys or our generation to opposite them.

Kz3r0

Arcane
So the big baddy was Shun all along, funny.
Sincerely I care more about our waifus than martial arts, hence:
A

PS:
China and Japan modernized and become great powers only after martial arts an their practitioners were crushed, the Samurai revolt and the Boxers rebellion, so Shun is correct by an historical point of view.

Jester

Arbiter
I would establish some kind of imperial sect, if i would believe that pugilists could be a problem down the road. I mean poisonous words can be as if not more dangerous than op fighter. Martial arts power is but one potential danger. Amassing wealth, political power or foreign armies are other possible problem. Shun established constables to limit corruption in politic still that system depends on people safekeeping them. Taking into consideration that sects tend to encourage discipline, loyalty etc they are less likely to be corrupted. Even when Nie was in charge he had to hide his bad side from public to not loose approval of pugilist world. (Going in steps of last Emperor is very bad sign from my perspective, we are sure that imperial sword wasn't cursed with other demon or smt?)

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I am sure that I am probably wrong here and some history buff will correct me but...

Didn't it take about 200 years or so for gunpowder based weaponry completly outclass traditional arrow and spear armies?
Furthermore I would be bit wary comparing wuxian situation compared to real world histories, since we know that you can do pretty amazing feats with neigong and techniques compared to normal people...

Besides I can't help, but feel that this might be another one of those Yang&Yin quostion here with court vs martial artist world like some posters have pointed out.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I think the missing eunuch is hanging around Maniac Island waiting to provide leverage should we choose B. Shun is a ruthless bastard playing a long game. He doesn't trust us so completely not to keep an ace up his sleeve.

Anyway B seems the more interesting choice.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Well Shun it was cool anf all but you just got more corrupted by power then Jing by DEMONZ. End of the line old friend.
B

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is a misconception that the power corrupts. Shun had it planned since when he didn't have a smidgen of power he wields now.

Nah, it was always a part of his nature. He planned the murder of his own father two years ago, too.

He was always ruthless.

That is not the problem, however, the problem is that he lost the ability to correct his course somewhere along the way, and in all likeness will order the death of the only man who can point out how big of a mistake he is about to commit.

Esquilax

Arcane
Also, if we're in the epilogue, can we find the divine astrologer now?

We missed the chance to do so after our two year training period. And besides, Lady Ji told us that it wasn't up to us whether we would see him or not. It's fate if we see him, and fate if we never encounter him.

ScubaV

Prophet
IMO if you're voting A, you need to turn in your LORD Zhang Jue Appreciation Society membership card and beg for His mercy.

Shun is maybe a bro (I think he cares about us, but he also sees us as a pawn), but hoes < bros < Master Zhang.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, is it not possible to try to take a third option here? I think that the sects do need to be reigned in/centralized, but not quite destroyed.

Reasonable, but unfortunately the Emperor seems pretty set on a purge despite knowing all the problems it will cause by destabilizing the country, though you can at least control somewhat how that goes with A.

Blame the DEMONZ. :M

Votes close in 12 hours.

Last edited:

Sunnmøring

Novice
When I get the ability to brofist, I'm going to have a pretty huge backlog to correct here. Treave is a true BRO. :bro:

Now, looking at the situation, I can't help but go with A. This information isn't making Shun look great, but I wouldn't want to plunge the nation into civil war just as it's beginning the start of a golden age over this. Consider: what harm do his proposals actually do? The sects are really, really overpowered. The orthodox ones generally stay within the rules... except for when they don't and are corrupt anyway, but there are also plenty of unorthodox groups that are incredibly distasteful. Over time, we're going to drift apart from the sects/new ones will be founded that don't align with our goals, and they will be a problem if they're building on the established knowledge of the pugilistic world rather than having to figure everything out from scratch. That's a while down the line, though-- with Jing's help to moderate things from Shun's 'they will die' stance, Shun is willing to let them continue as they do but without the passing down of the pugilistic techniques. That's the only option which allows us some input into the process. If we attack, it's civil war time and other pugilists looking to Jing will be inclined to follow suit as he's a very influential figure. This will lead to a mutual war of annihilation that will bring misery on us all. If we go along with this, I don't doubt that some will be reluctant to follow along but it shouldn't be too big a problem to handle; besides, if folks are so indignant/reliant on passing down their martial arts, we have receptive audience and halls at the convenient landmark of a fire temple outside of the country and the reach of his laws. I would be fine with taking in those bros.

As a political group, the sects as they are are just bad news. Some mentioned that they were balancing against the Tang when that's badly ruled and thus the sects are good to have, but in the Golden Age of Pugilism when the central government had barely any control and the influence of the sects was at its height, everything sucked. That was with the Frathouse Bros heading up the sects, let alone less savory folks. The fortunes of the realm were immediately related to the competence of the main government; the most that the pugilistic community did was to stretch out the amount of time that the Tang reigned in power by making sure that taxes were going in from the couple of places they were strong enough to protect, and a lot of the unorthodox ones were doing more of the pillaging! If we make the central government more easily able to rule and command its own resources, it can still suck if it has a terrible head, but that was going to be the case anyway. Killing the emperor and causing a succession struggle among his incredibly young children and their no doubt slimy and ambitious potential regents will certainly not make the pugilistic world any better; the very fact that Jing can do this to throw everything into disaster when the influence of the pugilistic sects is cut should demonstrate clearly why the sects shouldn't be holding that crazy amount of power.

Nevill

Arcane
Sunnmøring said:
If we go along with this, I don't doubt that some will be reluctant to follow along but it shouldn't be too big a problem to handle
Definitely. And Shun knows just the right way to handle it:
treave said:
“Destroy every martial arts manual in existence, and close down the sects. It is just that simple.”

“They will resist.”

“They will die.”
I am not going to murder Shaolin who can not exist outside of the martial arts. I am not going to murder Song Lingshu who have abandoned her childhood friend for the sake of the legacy her father had left her. What about Bai Jiutian who had hid her nature for 10 years and lost her kid to have a chance at commanding a sect - how willing would she be to listen to you? 'Reluctant to follow', my ass.

Don't kid yourself, war will be inevitable in both cases. Except with A we will be killing our bros who had nothing to do with this stupid idea.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
IMO if you're voting A, you need to turn in your LORD Zhang Jue Appreciation Society membership card and beg for His mercy.

Shun is maybe a bro (I think he cares about us, but he also sees us as a pawn), but hoes < bros < Master Zhang.

I am swayed. Homolove for Lord Zhang takes precedence over homolove for Shun. Flopping to B.

Also, The Brazilian Slaughter has an insane-sounding yet completely plausible conspiracy theory.
HEIHU VALLEY WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!! SHUN KILLED BIG WANG!

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, is it not possible to try to take a third option here? I think that the sects do need to be reigned in/centralized, but not quite destroyed.

Reasonable, but unfortunately the Emperor seems pretty set on a purge despite knowing all the problems it will cause by destabilizing the country, though you can at least control somewhat how that goes with A.

Blame the DEMONZ.
So the finale will be a demon-powered duel between Jing and Shun?

:bounce: Can't wait.
Say, copper and runes are kinda Khorne's thing. Did Shun get possessed by a Bloodsthirster by any chance?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A duel between brothers? Only if Shun was actually a reincarnation/possessed by an aspect of Huangdi. :M

Sunnmøring

Novice
I am not going to murder Shaolin who can not exist outside of the martial arts.

They're a monastery and they have many other religious duties to attend to as well as more menial tasks in addition to the martial arts that they practice. Do you think that they're eager to start up a war with the government solely over the power to transmit their martial arts to new generations?

I am not going to murder Song Lingshu who have abandoned her childhood friend for the sake of the legacy her father had left her. What about Bai Jiutian who had hid her nature for 10 years and lost her kid to have a chance at commanding a sect - how willing would she be to listen to you? 'Reluctant to follow', my ass.

There's nothing stopping them from leaving China, and we happen to have a conveniently located temple and surrounding area in a foreign country outside of Shun's jurisdiction where they can camp out. With Shun on the path that he is, it's obvious that there's no way that their dreams will be able to be pursued as they might have wished in China; I think that with Song Lingshu's focus on justice she would rather not plunge the country into civil war for the privilege. BJ, who knows, but I'm thinking of the way that will get most of our friends out alive. Most of our friends are not on the level of the Central Hero, and besides that you already admit to believe that they are imprisoned.

Don't kid yourself, war will be inevitable in both cases. Except with A we will be killing our bros who had nothing to do with this stupid idea.

The war is rather one-sided. Introducing our strength to the weaker side will prolong the conclusion and make things bloodier, but the time of the pugilistic sects in China is ending, if for no other reason than that our rebellion would indicate that the sects are to remain a problem with the imperial system. A will reduce the bloodshed by far.

I really doubt that all of the sects value the potential to teach students later as enough to rebel against the Emperor. Some, sure. All, no.

We can leverage and negotiate with Shun if we work with him, but the moment blows happen that's all gone and we lose control of the situation.

Baltika9

Arcane
A duel between brothers? Only if Shun was actually a reincarnation/possessed by an aspect of Huangdi. :M

Well, even if he isn't (I wouldn't put it past you, actually), we're as good as brothers anyway.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
They're a monastery and they have many other religious duties to attend to as well as more menial tasks in addition to the martial arts that they practice. Do you think that they're eager to start up a war with the government solely over the power to transmit their martial arts to new generations?
Haha, no. Their have literally nothing more to do than to train and pray. Their martial arts are integrated into their religious teachings. They attain enlightment by honing their martial skills. Without them, there is no Shaolin.

I do not know if they would be willing to wage war or not, but if you want a sect with a considerable military power and a hundreds years old history simply to cease to exist, you should not be surprised if they react that way.

Sunnmøring said:
There's nothing stopping them from leaving China, and we happen to have a conveniently located temple and surrounding area in a foreign country outside of Shun's jurisdiction where they can camp out.
Sure, let's send a whole lot of people into exile when they do not even know what they did wrong and when xenophobia and rejection of foreign ways is highly common. I am sure they would not try to protect themselves from this punishment they do not think they deserve.

Sunnmøring said:
With Shun on the path that he is, it's obvious that there's no way that their dreams will be able to be pursued as they might have wished in China; I think that with Song Lingshu's focus on justice she would rather not plunge the country into civil war for the privilege.
Yeah, you just have a minor hurdle to overcome. You must explain to her that to murder those people who resist to submit to an unwarranted persecution is justice. And I bet it won't stop with the rebels themselves, but will also affect their families as well. Isn't this the fate of those who go against the Emperor?

Shun is committing an atrocity here, and you are asking Lingshu to comply. Good luck with that. Especially considering the next part:

Sunnmøring said:
BJ, who knows, but I'm thinking of the way that will get most of our friends out alive. Most of our friends are not on the level of the Central Hero, and besides that you already admit to believe that they are imprisoned.
Yeah, apparently when someone needs to take hostages to make you do something, that is a sign that their deeds are just. That is a very convincing argument when deciding what is the right path to pursue.

Sunnmøring said:
The war is rather one-sided. Introducing our strength to the weaker side will prolong the conclusion and make things bloodier, but the time of the pugilistic sects in China is ending, if for no other reason than that our rebellion would indicate that the sects are to remain a problem with the imperial system. A will reduce the bloodshed by far.
So let me get this straight. You are advocating that a complete and utter annihilation of one side is actually a more humane and merciful way of doing things compared to the struggle? Geez, genocide is really an all-purpose solution.

I wonder why did we not just surrender master Yao to the bloodthirsty sects and were determined to get him out by force, if need be. That would have been a pointless conflict, after all.

How about not trying to murder a whole bunch of people, not trying to send orthodox sects to die at the hands of Zhang Jue, the Fire Cult, and when it failed, Yang Xue? How about not involving thousands of innocents in the manual hunt? How about a peaceful coexistence? Would it not be a better solution?

Oh, right, Shun can't have that. Because... because, uh... Right. Just because.

The sects are not a problem with the imperial system. Shun is the problem. He is the one who decided there absolutely has to be a war and would not step back.

Helping him with that is just... ugh. Reprehensible would be the nicest word I can come up with.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom