Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    If Shun planned all of this from the start, then it began long before he got the Xuanyuan Sword, and disarming him of the sword won't actually do much except temporarily removing a single weapon from his arsenal? :M

^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So Shun turned out to be the same WQSing popamoler as Jing. What a disappointment.

However, we know just a way to deal with those.

We should look him straight in the eyes, make the most serious face Jing can manage, and ask in a mysterious voice:

"Why do you fiiiiight?"

The DEMONZ will take care of the rest. I heard he didn't like celestial swords.

:M

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    So basically, this choice is all about faith (and love). If we believe he ever was a bro and was later subverted, or if we think he always was a manipulative bastard.

Since he didn't start praising Heavens up until he got The Sword, I am guessing it's the former.

But I also do not care. :M

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Ah, but didn't you point out he was being shitty shifty during the Conference itself, before he got the sword? :M

^ Top  
  5. Ifeex Scholar

Ifeex
    C>A.

B is out of the question - he's commited to this.

A sounds pretty good, but he might be able to copy our techs, while still using Xuanming Jiuyin and Xiaoming Jiuyang.

^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    He was. He didn't turn overnight. He was exhibiting traits of both a good guy and a bad guy for some time now.

He is speaking of something he had foreseen, and I am getting strong Saruman vibes here. The HEAVANZ might have used his desire to secure a better future for his people against him. The thing is, there might have been something left from Shun of old. He might have had a plan long ago, but it might not have been supposed to go exactly like this.

It is about giving him a benefit of the doubt.

My guess is that he might snap out of it in A when he kills his brother and the sword wouldn't be there to tell him that it is alright.

Sadly, I am not a fan of heartwarming stories that get the kids killed, and I wanted it to be this way since the very beginning, so... :M

^ Top  
  7. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Yeah. I wanted to be his Darth Vader, but noooo.

Bah. Let's die using the WQS the emperor knows better. Grand idea! I mean, even though the emperor, after studying WQS for only a short time, gave us some notes that granted the greatest bonus we ever saw, we're still bound to beat him using this tech. Right? ... Right?!?
    Or, you know, we could try and use the swords. We do have one arm of the sword saint, remember?

A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I called it:
    :smug:

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Ah, but you see, this is the beauty of recursion - everything his WQS can do, ours can do, too.

What kind of secret knowledge do you need to mash the Awesome Button, anyway? :rpgcodex:

More importantly, I am voting for the only choice that explicitly states we will be trying to kill the fucker instead of juggling swords! :argh:
    All I wanted since the very beginning of the LP is to kill our brother in a duel on the rooftops of the Palace. :negative:

Well, that and to unleash a horde of screaming Mongols on a soft unsuspecting Chinese populace.

At least some of it may come true.

^ Top  
  10. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    A - we got all the swords. Time for the stabity stab!

^ Top  
  11. वाहन Novice

वाहन
  12. Kayerts Arcane

Kayerts
    Re: the debate about when Shun turned evil, I'm going to point out that he asked for WQS tips before the Sword Conference, and then there's this:

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    He didn't get chummy with manxing yesterday either. The signs were there for a while.

It is still a question when he turned stupid evil.

^ Top  
  14. Akkudakku Arbiter

Akkudakku
    C papamole to the max.
    A looks like a mistake, the asshole will OUT WQS us in A and we are fucked.

^ Top  
  15. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    What is this!?
    You guys don't believe in BROTHERHOOD AND LOVE3E!?

B for shiny manly love&peace, you cynical heartless bastards.
    :rpgcodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    The more we use our sword skills in A, the better Shun will be becoming thru WQS.
    Our only chance is to outsmart him with WQS (C) by having greater combat experience.

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    While I myself am a supporter of C, I feel the need to point out that WQS does not work all that well with the techniques designed for the Great Swords.

Not that we have any. :M

Hm, wasn't it said that Xuezi could have beaten the Immortal at Taoying Island with sheer mastery of her kung-fu? And that Shun wasn't a martial artist - well, not before he picked all of the manuals, at least - as he had other duties to attend to.

Maybe the point about experience is a valid one, and we may yet stand a chance here.

^ Top  
  18. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
  19. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    I wonder if base plan of Shun was to decrease power of sects to put a muzzle on them and after certain dick sword made him celestial biatch. That would explain why sword was entombed and why person who had been gutted by celestial for going against heaven will is behaving like retard.

"Betrayal" After all this was first was word used when Jing saw this damned thing. Looks like it works similar to Demon sword, slowly twisting mind of user. Friging Diablo Immortal give my fighter Emperor back. They couldnt win in head on fight so they Jafar it up.

Will go with A.
    Shun is a brother.

^ Top  
  20. ChumBucket Augur

ChumBucket
  21. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I think we now know how Shun beat Yang Xue.

Also, Jing has no sister. :issad: Shun's secret plan to breed a army of Jing supersoldiers/heirs thwarted.

I'm starting to think that finishing off Yang Xue was the equivalent of jumping the rpg straight to the final boss, minus a few levels we really really needed.

I think there are two big questions here:

1. Is Shun really stupid evil (kill all the sects mwahhahahahahahahaha!) or the sword made him do it?

Interesting that:
    a) Shun had none of HEAVANZ's favour. In fact, HEAVANZ was out to get him.
    b) The Sword exhibits crazy awesome special powers when its in Shun's hand, like blocking powerful qi blasts. Jing felt it was reluctant to be used be him. Almost like the Sword was meant to be wielded by the Emperor and the Emperor only.
    c) The Sword was sheathed in Shun's blood during the fighting. Blood is a common fuel in supernatural power.
    d) Shun never liked fate, luck, prophecy, etc, and always held such things with disdain. Suddently he is talking about heavenly will, destiny, foreseeing things, etc. That sounds a lot like Li Meng's superstitious gobshit. The yin manual failing into his hands is also very suspicious. I can't see Yang Xue handing Shun a manual like that.
    e) The immortal lady in the island apparently didn't know a bunch of stuff, like the fact Shun could use the sword as a weapon and Jing's lack of pressure points. Pretty sure a agent of HEAVANZ should know basic stuff like that, its not like its a secret.
    f) Shun wanted to hand the Sword to Jing for a while, even through it didn't exihibit any special powers with Jing. Why?
    g) Shun was aparently planning something like this from the beginning, but what, specifically? Seems like Shun didn't want to answer. Almost like the plan changed at some point.
    h) Doesn't Shun perceive that Jing and the others won't go down without a fight, and such fight may destabilize the country, which is the last thing he needs? The "they will die" part seems strangely unShun-like, he's more of a shrewd manipulator than this.
    i) What made Shun start his war against the pugilistic world? Was getting his arm broken by Chanfeng the trigger for all of this? Did Shun read on Yang Xue's war and then realize the danger someone like him was? Was it a logical conclusion?
    j) Don't the legendary techs also involve a certain risk of insanity? I know WQS was dangerous if you meditated too much, and aparently having Juyin and Juyang manuals without WQS made you go mad or something.

2. Can we defeat him here?
    a) A is where we use our superior martial arts and combat practice with ALL THE SWORDS to disarm Shun and hope it was really the Sword doing it. Even if it wasn't, a disarmed Shun still has all the legendary techniques. We can at least take the Xuanyan Sword here, then.
    b) is essentially stalling for us to convince Shun to stop.
    c) C is where we WQS the guy with Legendary skills and WQS and hope we can out-WQS the WQS spammer.

Our advantages:
    - Mastery of Martial Arts. Shun is not a martial arts fighter, even if he's talented enough to have learned all the Legendary techniques. Shun didn't spend the last years in fights and scraps against all sorts of martial artists. Reminds of the fight against the immortal on the island - Skill vs Raw Power, the difference is that Shun is not immortal and he has a lot more power.
    - ALL THE SWORDS. Jing also has the arm of the Sword Saint, so we can put up a nice Sword qi.
    - WQS, neigong leeching and Chaotic qi. Shun AFAIK has orderly qi. Jing is inherently chaotic, so Jing is really the ultimate WQS user. This should also grant us a immunity to internal qi attacks, like when Jing defeated the Shaolin Elders. Shun can't leech qi, either.

Shun's advantages:
    - He has ALL THE LEGENDARY TECHNIQUES. Every cheesy tech under the heavanz is on his hands.
    - He has the strongest of all Great Swords.
    - He's smarter than us, way smarter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    I'm perfectly willing to allow you guys your shortcuts.

If you didn't fight Yang Xue, you'd have skipped on getting injured and the orthodox Masters would have gotten treatment in time and survived. The Huashan Summit would then have been a messy, long conflict involving you + Wudu Cult + all Amesha Spenta + Minamoto + Shaolin/Wudang/Emei vs rest of the Eight Sects and their minor schools vs Yang Xue, Zhang Manxing & berserker army vs gatecrashing Bandit Kingdom remnants vs imperial constables and soldiers, over the legendary manuals that were gathered there, instead of a proper competition.

People would have died, old grudges would have been settled (in blood or otherwise), and generally shit would have gone down.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    All I am really missing is the way we reconciled the Wudu and the Fire Cult. :negative:

Also, what was the death toll of that engagement with Yang Xue?

Wuxing and his wife we know about, Liu Ye... anyone else? How did Su Cheng die? Did Qi Liuwu die, too? Did Jiu Mo?

What happened to Qingfeng, Lanhai and their kids?

Oh, and what happened to our dear uncle Mao and the whole Qingcheng succession?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    ^ Top  
  24. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Beggars and Zuo family are alive and well. Zhang Manxing offed Su Cheng and Mao Sanjiao.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Don't tell me we would have been the ones treating them. :|

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.