Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
Not all self-sacrifice is noble. Sometimes it's really pathetic. This is the latter.

We're letting go of all the people we care about to be with a harpy we don't. It's the biggest villain of the story and you want to idolize her, bend over, and take it from her after all she's done wrong because somehow you think that's a good ending. It isn't.

Anything but that. Heck, do you think the girls will be happy that Jing would abandon them for Nuwa? You can say it's for their own good, but it's deplorable all the same.

Remember the road of Chi You. The road of Zhang Jue. We don't chicken out from doing things the hard way when we need to.

Kipeci

Arcane
If you have something better than my choice or praying to the guy we just killed or his supposed god, I'm all ears.

I did suggest something else, actually. If we wanted to spread our crazy cult zoroastrianism throughout China, I don't see how it's conflicting to attempt to put up the figure we're supposed to represent against the Chinese gods. Tell Nuwa to screw herself, we weren't praying for her help.

Baltika9

Arcane
Not all self-sacrifice is noble. Sometimes it's really pathetic. This is the latter.

We're letting go of all the people we care about to be with a harpy we don't. It's the biggest villain of the story and you want to bend over and take it from her after all she's done wrong because somehow you think that's a good ending. It isn't.
Being the privileged and heartless male cis-scum that you are, you obviously don't understand true love. Nuwa isn't the villain, she is the victim. All she wants is our D for all eternity and we can have anything we want.

Esquilax

Arcane
All jokes aside, there's just something that feels so fucking gross about selling out to the snake-bitch. From the very beginning of this LP, we've told everyone from the most respected orthodox masters in China to the Emperor himself to fuck himself when we felt like it, yet now we're bending over and being Nuwa's little bitch at the very end? What a sorry note to end this on. That being said, I think D is still very dumb.

Absinthe

Arcane
Esquilax, when all the options are bad, I'd take the least slimy one.
You stupid cunts, I can't believe you are praying now. Yes let's go through hell twice over for zhang jue, harem, buddy karma and jianghu kickass, and right at the end you just want to pray to heavens that hate shun, don't exactly like us, amd if chi you links are genuine, really want to fuck us up. What kind of bargain can they offer now anyway? Anybody think they will give us shun back as our friend, eliminate the demon, or save the tang empire? No way. Then what are you even aiming for besides some vague hope?

This is our story and this is the,mess we gotta solve. If it means killing shun so be it. Maybe it didn't have to be this way but we won't know that now (until treave postmortem). Praying is basically saying we don't care what happens to us or shun (since I doubt we can just back out to a or b after praying). We let the gods choose the most critical outcome of our carer. Fuck that shit.

It's not too late to put your weight behind this. It's still better than letting Nuwa have her way.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

If we go d, I'm betting we just "disappear". Shun won't be freed as he will not have killed us. Shit will go down. bad end.

The only other option I can see is to claim she has broken divine law, but that's shaky at best.

Esquilax

Arcane
Ahem. We aren't bending over for her. We are doing the bending here.

:retarded:

A. You will acknowledge Nuwa as your only goddess, and swear your fealty, worship and adoration to her for the rest of your life. In return, you will become the new Emperor, supplanting the Tang dynasty, thus bringing prosperity and averting calamity.

B. You will become Nuwa’s consort, and work with her to make the world a better place. A chance at not just immortality, but becoming a deity, is too good to pass up. It will mean leaving behind all you care about, but you will ensure it is left in good hands from your perch in the heavens.

A in particular sounds like a whole lot of bending over on our part. Slightly less in B, but still too much.

It's not too late to put your weight behind this.

... On the other hand, going D strikes me as going double full-retard here. Unless we can think of a way to trick her or outsmart her in C, we are definitely not coming out unscathed in D. You can't just hit Abort on this now that we've hit the PRAY button. Once that was done, we had crossed a point of no-return, so I think you're basically hoping for what's tantamount to the equivalent of a rollback. It ain't happening.

Also, I find it interesting that you're using the exact same logic that Baltika9 used when voting to PRAY here.

Baltika9

Arcane
I meant literally, man. We will spend eternity literally fucking the goddess that was fucking us for millenia.

Absinthe

Arcane
... On the other hand, going D strikes me as going double full-retard here. Unless we can think of a way to trick her or outsmart her in C, we are definitely not coming out unscathed in D. You can't just hit Abort on this now that we've hit the PRAY button. Once that was done, we had crossed a point of no-return, so I think you're basically hoping for what's tantamount to the equivalent of a rollback. It ain't happening.
D is going full manmode. We roll with the punches to do what needs to be done.

Mind, I happen to think it's Jing is the kind of character where it's better to die than betray your principles so... There's really no other possible option for me.

Tigranes

Arcane
I agree D will get us fully screwed by Nuwa, but I just can't understand why everyone is so eager to basically get 'game over, snake lady fucks you for the ages and you lose everything you built up'. Nobody cares about Qilin? The baby? Cao'er? Guo Fu? Zhang Jue? Fire Temple?
Uh, what exactly do you want us to do for them? With exception of the kids (who will become the ruling dynasty if Lambchop's C wins) and the Cult, what exactly are you electing to do for them further? The orthodox bros are well established, they don't need us at all, our faction and family will be living the life in the palace.
And our 'sacrifice,' to live forever with a hot snake goddess and do good in the universe, that's so horrible, isn't it?

treave, will we be get only consort?

Nothing. We can't do anything for our friends, our harem, our teacher, our temple. Because when the moment came we voted for some lulz instead of fighting for them, or even fighting for anything. Jing chickened out of everything that previously mattered to him, and there is no possible option this time that can really undo that.

We knew Nuwa had no love lost for our principles or Shun's. We knew Nuwa wanted Tang / Shun done with. We knew the Heavens are an unforgiving sort. Yet we voted to place our entire story in Nuwa's hands, and out of ours. D would at least make a flip-flop back to sanity and then a grisly end, but I doubt the crowd that voted for PRAY in the first place will do that. (For the record, my vote is still D.)

Jing has lost already, and the will of Heaven has subdued all mortals. That is the end of the story.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jing has lost already, and the will of Heaven has subdued all mortals. That is the end of the story.
Maybe.

But then again, there is a moral to every story. And if you take the right one out of it, then the story would not be for naught.

Yes, we have lost, but was fighting the Heavens the right decision in the first place? If we go by the words of Shun, the ones he parted us with:
“Jing… take this one piece of advice from me if nothing else. Walk away from it all. Don’t… don’t get involved. Nothing good will come of challenging Heaven,” warns Shun.
Settling a millenia old grudge that brought misery to millions by admitting that we were wrong and trying to end this, admittedly pointless, conflict and set things right for the mortals - would it not be a worthy goal?

Granted, you might not think we were in the wrong, but nobody ever does.

As I said, I would not vote to continue it further even if we chose to kill Shun and not involve the Gods.

Taken from this perspective, the story would still make sense. Whether it is the sense you like is up to you.

We can't do anything for our friends, our harem, our teacher, our temple. Because when the moment came we voted for some lulz instead of fighting for them, or even fighting for anything.
Or maybe fighting is not the ultimate answer to everything.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Hmm...
I can't see how we are going to get out of this without being nuwa bitch or decline her without great butthurt.

So I flop to X to avoid taking sides....for now

Absinthe

Arcane
That's just moralizing, Nevill. If we were making an actual moral point, then not even Nuwa should be immune to the karma of her sins.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nah, the real moral of the story is don't try to parlay with the gods without a trump card. Like a sun-bomb or something.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Can we detonate the flame somehow? Or what about if we tell her we love her and ask her to become mortal for a time and live out a life with us? Then we find a way to imprison her. Assuming such a way exists of course. And that she would be dumb enough to fall for it.

Nevill

Arcane
That is trying to make sense of it all. If any of you have a different interpretation of the character and the plot, feel free to suggest it.

Sometimes rebelliousness grows stale. At some point you have to stop tearing things apart because they aren't good enough and start building what you think is better. Otherwise you just become a force of destruction.

Now, here are good things about Lambchop's plan:
- The millenia year old grudge with the Heavens is settled. Our fight have brought suffering to the millions of innocents already, but did it ever brought anyone joy? What have Chi You really achieved for all the destruction he caused? This may end here. As Shun would have said, nothing goods comes out of opposing Heaven.
- We will have to accept the law of Heaven as the only law. We will have to admit that we are not above it. According to that law, the Tang dynasty needs to die and be replaced, but the country and its people will live on. Shun and his kin can keep their lives, if not their positions, and there need not be a war. That's the future Shun wanted for his people, though he thought to make it a reality by his own hands.
- We will have 10 years to see to our affairs and to say our goodbyes. That is as good as a lifetime. According to Shun, even eight seconds would have been enough.
- And yes, we will have to sacrifice our life and our personal achievements in the mortal realm to make it all possible. That is in line with our personality that seeks to do right by others at a cost to himself.

The bad things were already listed.

I guess what is left is for us to decide. To take it (if Nuwa even accepts it at all), or to let everything go to waste just to make one final act of defiance.

Depends on how much this defiance is worth to you, I suppose.

Baltika C (Baltika) > C (Lambchop's)
Azira B
Nevill C (Lambchop's)
Elfberserker C (Cao'er's edition)
Lambchop19 B > C (Lambchop's)
profreshinal C (stab Nuwa)
Akkudakku D
Rex Feral D
Fangshi C (Lambchop's) > A
ERYFKRAD D
Tigranes D
Kipeci C (call Ahura Mazda) > D
Grimgravy D
Jester C (respawn Shun)
Ifeex !D
Kz3r0 C (call Ahura Mazda) > B
Absinthe D
Kashmir Slippers B > C (Lambchop's)
The Brazilian Slaughter C (his own)
Esquilax C (Lambchop's)
Sunnmøring C (Baltika) > D

B - 3 (1)
C (Lambchop's) - 3 (7)
C (stab Nuwa) - 1
C (call Ahura Mazda) - 2 (1)
C (respawn Shun) - 1
C (The Brazilian Slaughter) - 1
C (Baltika aka Sleight of Dong) - 2 (0)
C (Cao'er's edition) - 1
D - 5 (8)
!D - 1 (0)

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Here's The Brazilian Slaughter's Improved C
Sorry, man. There are two choices by now - Lambchompian C and D.

I do not think we can split the votes any further, and I do not think there is enough time left for anyone to consider your proposal.

If you want, you can argue with Lambchop to include any of your points, but I seem to think that your plan is less plausible than his.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The only real difference between the proposed Cs and B seems to be:

A) Delayed ascension
B) Guarantee of Jing's descendants forming next dynasty.

Remember that in B Nuwa already offers to kick the problem of dynastic succession a few generations down the line.

Baltika9

Arcane
The only real difference between the leading C and B seems to be:

A) Delayed ascension
B) Guarantee of Jing's descendants forming next dynasty.
Also, Nuwa won't have to call in favors to extend Tang rule and they get what they want right now. That has to count for something, right?
And we are giving ourselves to her right here and right now. That has to count for something, right?
Right?
:negative:

Esquilax

Arcane
I'll be voting Lambchop C since it's neck and neck between those two choices.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom