Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tribute

Arbiter
Absinthe: 13 is just +1 Swords. 15 is +1 swords AND a brand new foreign sword/saber technique nobody's seen before, all for the low cost of one more month. We should definitely be taking 15 or 16 over 13.

Absinthe

Arcane
Tribute, I'm trying not to go over 20 months. Although we could just say "fuck it, 2 years of training time, 24 months it is" in which case sure. I'm also tempted to swap the naked +1 swords in A for Zhang's Mystery Technique.

Treave, it should be a self-healing technique though, right?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tigranes said:
The neigong upgrade as well as Sword training is critical.
Absolutely. But END is no longer a prerequisite to our neigong development. If we want staying power, we are better off improving our leeching capabilities, which are unique.

And seriously, thrown weapons?

Baltika9

Arcane
Do we need sword training with zhang AND the minamoto sword tech for sword boosts? Do those stack? If not, I'd drop sword training with Zhang and just stick with Minamoto sword and Yunchang sword training.

I believe that they stack. You can look at the bottom part of the training update.

Sword training is all around useful, but I am willing to negotate or flop if enough people gather around packkage that includes Minamoto sword tech, neigon training, endurance boost, improved reikan.
How about this:
Anabanana, would you be down with a package like this?
Wait, that package comes out to 17 months total, which means we can still squeeze in thrown weapons, making it 3, 5, 13, 15, 25, 30. I'd be down with that.
It is still 1.5 years, but we get kenjutsu and sabers instead of our Yuchang tech. The rest is as per the Esquilaxian package.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As long as he had pressure points, and had his qi's nature fixed, yeah. Zhang did the latter in his own way (not how Wang would have done it) but as a result you have no pressure points anymore. Yuhe Finger can't affect you. It'll still work on most anyone else, though.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Guys can we focus in becoming the best on one subject. I'd go with either 3 sword boost where we maximise our sword skill and gain 3 new techniques or the unarmed boosts.

Also we should focus on learning things we can't learn from somewhere else.

Like +1 Strenght (which we can earn basically anywhere) vs a sword technique only the minamoto can teach us.

Nevill

Arcane
I'd go with either 3 sword boost where we maximise our sword skill
We can't go over +2, and +1 Unarmed is not as good as +2 Swords when facing BJ. Swords are a given.

Like +1 Strenght (which we can earn basically anywhere) vs a sword technique only the minamoto can teach us.
Exactly, stats aren't worth it.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
It is still 1.5 years, but we get kenjutsu and sabers instead of our Yuchang tech. The rest is as per the Esquilaxian package.

I am willing to flop, if it gets enough support.

Tribute

Arbiter
Current preferred package for me:

3. Intensive basic saber training. (Saber +4, 1 month) (synergizes well with the Minamoto tech, and we already have a quality saber, even if we're using it as a sword so far)
6. Practice art with Zhang Jue. (Artistic Skill +2, 2 months) (We absolutely need artistic skill considering how many technique poems we run into and then can't efficiently decipher)
15. Learn the rare Minamoto-style Kenjutsu focusing on quick draws and flowing attacks from Yorimitsu. (+1 Sword, 3 months) (We have the type of weapon this is designed to be used with, it's a foreign technique no-one else will know, and the saber boost will give us a bonus)
22. Further improve your mastery of Reikan by training with Yoriwaka. (+1 Reikan PER, 1 month) (absolutely mandatory. +1 stat for 1 month?!)
25. Undergo strenuous neigong training to unlock your potential (Neigong +2, 6 months, Yuanshi Hundun now gives +2 to STR, AGI and END) (This is our trump card, we should absolutely improve it)
30. Intensive endurance training. (+1 END, 5 months) (We'll need this if we're going to rely on our Yuanshi Hundun more, especially if we're making it more extreme)

And a couple of optional extras:

20. Train to create a new self-taught sword technique based off the Yuchang Sword. (+1 Sword, 3 months) (optional - we've got a legendary sword, we might as well improve our capabilities with it)
21. Attempt to learn a random new technique of Zhang Jue’s choosing, that he created from his travels in Nippon. (2 months) (optional, wildcard option, and a lot of people seem to like the idea)

So anywhere from 17 months to 22 months, depending on how much time we're willing to spend. If we want to round it out to an even two years we could learn Wudu Fushin for more Qilin points, a steady supply of spidersilk, new pet snake for Qikin and an eye-socket pet for us.

Baltika9

Arcane

I am willing to flop, if it gets enough support.
I'm willing to set that up as my secondary vote, so I'll just throw the package out there.
Anabana's Package:

Guys can we focus in becoming the best on one subject. I'd go with either 3 sword boost where we maximise our sword skill and gain 3 new techniques or the unarmed boosts.

Also we should focus on learning things we can't learn from somewhere else.

Not true, the higher the stat and skill's number, the more difficult it is to train up:
Strength and endurance training will not boost your 8 strength. You'll need to go beyond mundane training to raise it. It's not like you can just keep raising weights day after day and suddenly be pumping a ton without breaking a sweat, y'know. The human body has its limits, and the military is not the place to surpass those limits. They are good at bringing a lot of people up to a competent level, not at making some exceptional supersoldier. If you didn't get it at the start, to go past 8 you're probably going to need to use neigong. Perhaps you may reach 9 by growth, but definitely not 10.
Besides which, stat bonuses are becoming rarer and rarer.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Current preferred package for me:

3. Intensive basic saber training. (Saber +4, 1 month) (synergizes well with the Minamoto tech, and we already have a quality saber, even if we're using it as a sword so far)
6. Practice art with Zhang Jue. (Artistic Skill +2, 2 months) (We absolutely need artistic skill considering how many technique poems we run into and then can't efficiently decipher)
15. Learn the rare Minamoto-style Kenjutsu focusing on quick draws and flowing attacks from Yorimitsu. (+1 Sword, 3 months) (We have the type of weapon this is designed to be used with, it's a foreign technique no-one else will know, and the saber boost will give us a bonus)
22. Further improve your mastery of Reikan by training with Yoriwaka. (+1 Reikan PER, 1 month) (absolutely mandatory. +1 stat for 1 month?!)
25. Undergo strenuous neigong training to unlock your potential (Neigong +2, 6 months, Yuanshi Hundun now gives +2 to STR, AGI and END) (This is our trump card, we should absolutely improve it)
30. Intensive endurance training. (+1 END, 5 months) (We'll need this if we're going to rely on our Yuanshi Hundun more, especially if we're making it more extreme)

And a couple of optional extras:

20. Train to create a new self-taught sword technique based off the Yuchang Sword. (+1 Sword, 3 months) (optional - we've got a legendary sword, we might as well improve our capabilities with it)
21. Attempt to learn a random new technique of Zhang Jue’s choosing, that he created from his travels in Nippon. (2 months) (optional, wildcard option, and a lot of people seem to like the idea)

So anywhere from 17 months to 22 months, depending on how much time we're willing to spend. If we want to round it out to an even two years we could learn Wudu Fushin for more Qilin points, a steady supply of spidersilk, new pet snake for Qikin and an eye-socket pet for us.

You got me in and I also support to train Yuchang technique, but I am willing to let it drop if you bros want to drop it.

Flopping to Tribute package.

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave, I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. Out of curiosity, what would Wang Zhengchong have done?
  2. Also, what exactly would the Yuhe Finger do to enemies? Is it a one-hit technique?
  3. Is there also any special benefit to learning a finger technique? You mentioned before that they are quite rare.

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
Tribute, would you be willing to set up either the Esquilaxian or Anabanana's package as a secondary vote?
Let me reread them and get back to you. I still think my own package is pretty solid, and has a bit of wiggle room if people decide they're alright with rounding up to 22 months or 2 years because they want more stuff.

Esquilax's package: if he adds in Artistic Skill it might make for a decent alternative. I'd rather do the saber boost and the Minamoto tech than throwing and Yunchang tech because they synergize better, but I certainly don't mind the Yunchang tech.

Anabanana's package: basically the same points re: thrown vs sabers, except moreso because he's already got the Minamoto technique in there. I'd strongly advise putting the Yunchang tech in in place of the anti-Huashan tech, especially considering how Zhang Jue's last anti-sect technique went (even if that timeline doesn't exist anymore). I could take or leave the sleight-of-hand boost. It eats up more time, but it's also quality time with Qilin and is useful for things. The Qinggong boost and the PER boost both eat up a ton of time and I'd only consider them if we decide we're okay with spending up to three years training here.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Eh. Assuming Bai Jiutian learns her techs at a same rate as you, she can learn two to three techniques in half a year. Enjoy countering that with your +1 END that you will be getting in the same amount of time.

And by spending more than a year on this stuff you are refusing Yunzi's invitation. Jing says 'yeah, I'll drop by when I have time', and show up two years later, right.

Baltika9

Arcane
I can go for your package, Tribute, as a secondary vote if you include the +1 sword/2 months with LORD Zhang, getting out of here with 7 unarmed/7 swords sounds too good for me to skip out on.
Eh. Assuming Bai Jiutian learns her techs at a same rate as you, she can learn two to three techniques in half a year. Enjoy countering that with your +1 END that you will be getting in the same amount of time.

And by spending more than a year on this stuff you are refusing Yunzi's invitation. 'Yeah, I'll drop by when I have time'. and show up in two years, right.
Hahaha, not to worry, we will be spending a lot of time with her and Rob Halford, learning their techniques.

Nevill

Arcane
I am sure you will.

Jing will become a juggernaut with all stats in tens, knowing every tech there is to know. Then he will die of old age before he steps out in the real world.

Tribute

Arbiter
I can go for your package, Tribute, as a secondary vote if you include the +1 sword/2 months with LORD Zhang, getting out of here with 7 unarmed/7 swords sounds too good for me to skip out on.
Is that on top of the stuff that's already in the package? Sure, we can throw that in there too if people are willing to spend even more time training. I'm in no rush to get Jing back into the jianghu asap, but there have been people pushing fairly hard to minimize training time. I was doing my best to make both sides happy.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
I don't know how the votes are going to be taken, but here is what I want as a base. I am interested in training for 1 1/2 to 2 years. I think that the time advantage will help us a lot.

This is my basic package. If my math is right, it should take us 18 months. I think that it meshes well with stat gains and versatility. view this as the core of what I would like.

13 - This one should be obvious for me. (2 months)
20>16>15 - This is one vote for only one technique. I like raising our self-taught style. The order doesn't really matter to me, though, because SWORDS!!!, and all. (3 months)
8 - Makes our slight of hand even more adept. This works well with all the sword stuff we are learning. (1 month)
10 - I have a feeling that traps is going to help us in the future. This is a nice boost for little time. (1 month)
25 - This seems to be a crowd favorite. (6 months)
33>32>28 - I think we should get at least one stat boost. I like agility because it meshes well with our slight of hand trickster style. Intelligence is a personal favorite too. (5 months)

2+3+1+1+6+5 = 18.

These interest me. It makes our training time 24 months and gives us some cool skills as well. These are less important to me.

12 - I like scholarly arts, and this is a small time for a boost. (1 month)
3 - Helps us use our Wodao a bit better and gives us more versatility. (1 month)
21 - Lets us get some quality time with Zhang, and gives us a cool new toy. (2 months)
24 - Makes our silk use better. Meshes well with increasing slight of hand. (2 months)

1+1+2+2 (+18) = 24

Alternatively we could add another stat boost at the cost of my second list.

So yeah. I hope I am not making this so much more complicated by adding another set. This is just would I would ideally choose if I were doing this alone.

If it boils down to voting for a person's package, then put me on whomever's team has more of the things that I listed. I can work it out later if need be.

Baltika9

Arcane
Is that on top of the stuff that's already in the package? Sure, we can throw that in there too if people are willing to spend even more time training. I'm in no rush to get Jing back into the jianghu asap, but there have been people pushing fairly hard to minimize training time. I was doing my best to make both sides happy.
Nah, what I meant was, if you include it into your main package. Optional votes won't work if we want to vote on these things by package, you have to make a hard option. So I would take yours as a secondary/tertiary if you would add that into your main.

Uh, treave, we are voting on this based on packages, not just random mishmash, right?

Absinthe

Arcane
Alright, here's my 2 year package. This is what I'm going with now.

5 (+4 thrown, We really need a ranged skill by now; also, boosts spider silk tech)
6 (+2 artistic skill, so many poetry techs we need to boost the skill)
10 (+4 traps, lets get this over with)
13 (+1 Swords)
15 (+1 Swords, Minamoto tech)
22 (+1 Perception for 1 month, fuck yes)
25 (+1 to 3 physical stats for 6 months, also yes)
30 (+1 Endurance, to cover our weak spot)
35 (Yuhe Finger, we need a technique to fuck up enemy neigong unless you want to manmode vs Guo Fu types all the time)

24 months, should cover just about fucking everything we care about.

See below, single year clevian instead (22, 25, 32: +1 int).

Shall we go with this?

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
10/10/10/10/10/10 should one day be ours.
I sure hope you mean 10/10/10/10/10/10/1 there, and not 10s in everything

Nah, what I meant was, if you include it into your main package. Optional votes won't work if we want to vote on these things by package, you have to make a hard option. So I would take yours as a secondary/tertiary if you would add that into your main.

Uh, treave, we are voting on this based on packages, not just random mishmash, right?
That would bump it up to 19 months, without the extras included, which is over Esquilax's limit, but I'm willing to do it if they stack. Did we get confirmation that they stack?

GreyViper

Prophet
I'm going to put together a tentative package, not voting just yet. Going to include more techniques than necessary, and then cut down later.

5. Intensive basic thrown weapons training. (Thrown Weapons +4, 1 month)
We could use more range, and it's just one month. Bonus points for being usable with silk.

6. Practice art with Zhang Jue. (Artistic Skill +2, 2 months)
I think this is a crucial investment for learning more techniques in the future; we've run into a ton of poetry-based manuals so far. Besides, what could be more romantic than spending evenings alone with Zhang Jue, composing love poems to each other? :P

8. ‘Practice’ sleight-of-hand with Qilin... (Sleight-of-Hand +1, 1 month)
This will help with feinting and spider silk and shit. Also we get to spend time with Qilin. Again, it's only a 1 month investment.

15. Learn the rare Minamoto-style Kenjutsu focusing on quick draws and flowing attacks from Yorimitsu. (+1 Sword, 3 months)
Emphasis on this being a rare technique. Nobody except us and Zhang Jue will have experience with this kind of technique, and I think it'll give us an edge on our sword-wielding opponents.

16. Learn the Fanfeng Feixue Sword technique devised to counter Huashan. (+1 Sword, 3 months)
We're going to need to deal with Huehueshan sooner or later, nuff said. Also the technique name is fucking badass.

22. Further improve your mastery of Reikan by training with Yoriwaka. (+1 Reikan PER, 1 month)
We need the Reikan PER, being half-blind. Non-negotiable.

25. Undergo strenuous neigong training to unlock your potential (Neigong +2, 6 months, Yuanshi Hundun now gives +2 to STR, AGI and END)
Having a strong neigong is the foundation by which one conquers the jianghu. This is also non-negotiable.

26. Learn how to absorb qi from other people at a faster rate by ‘practicing’ with Qilin and Cao’er. (3 months)
I wonder if this also includes learning how to absorb and integrate qi in a safer way, since this kind of technique tends to lead to serious side-effects if we're too greedy with the absorption.

27. Focus on qinggong practice by running around the island with the tigers, naked. (Qinggong +2, 6 months, Kuanglang Step now gives +2 to agility and increased ability to shrug off grabs)
This would synergize very well with our kicking technique, I think.

29. Intensive perception training. (+1 PER, 5 months)
We're half-blind. So.
Nice list Anabanana going to borrow it to save time.
So this would be my choice for now.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yes, sword skills stack with one another. I'll see how the voting goes before I start putting in secondaries and tertiaries, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom