Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Baltika9

Arcane
Anabanana, would you be down with a package like this?
Wait, that package comes out to 17 months total, which means we can still squeeze in thrown weapons, making it 3, 5, 13, 15, 25, 30. I'd be down with that.

profreshinal

Arcane
If we're going away from unarmed, qi leeching feels a must. Atm we only use it with physical contact and to keep using it effictively with swords we might wanna invest some in it.

Esquilax

Arcane
Why don't you utilize that qi of yours that can give you +2 END as well as +2 STR and +2AGI?? This is a weapon specific to you alone. Anyone can have big endurance, but who has +15 neiggong?

And you have the bonus in staying power with qi leeching.

Really, trying to increase physical stats will get you nowhere. We can always be stronger, more agile, or more durable than we are. Or we can play smarter with what we already have.

No, it's not the same thing.

Cultivating more amounts of that chaotic qi will hurt you more when you go nuts with it, yes.

Utilizing our qi with +2 END only applies so long as it's active, it doesn't make our body more resilient or more able to withstand the effects of cultivating our chaotic qi for longer. This is why the END boost is just so fucking crucial; it gives us a stronger foundation to allow us to tap into our neigong more safely. Level 7 Yuanshi Hundun will do us little good if we end up a broken wreck after we use it and are at risk of overexerting ourselves every time.

Again, the qi leeching technique doesn't improve our foundation, and we need to, first and foremost, build a solid foundation for ourselves. Besides, the +1 END is only 2 months longer in terms of investment than the qi leeching, so I don't so how it's so wasteful compared to the technique you're proposing.

Baltika9

Arcane
If we're going away from unarmed, qi leeching feels a must. Atm we only use it with physical contact and to keep using it effictively with swords we might wanna invest some in it.
26. Learn how to absorb qi from other people at a faster rate by ‘practicing’ with Qilin and Cao’er. (3 months)
This doesn't say anything about learning how to leech qi with weapons.
Jing wouldn't be able to charm women if he didn't have wits, a roguish demeanor, and a sexy, perverted aura about him.
Ok, he has that. Move along, you don't need CHA upgrade.

And come on, I'm sure Wang Zhengchong also had lots of attributes that helped him win fights too, not only techniques. I mean, fuck, look at Zhang - the guy has awesome techniques, but it also helps that he's built like a brick shithouse with like END 9. Stats aren't everything, but they sure as hell matter.
They matter far less than techniques. You have overwhelmed Guo Fu, even though the guy is a tank.
Your signature stats are strenght and agility. You are trying to be an all-rounder.
No, not really an all-rounder. The END is there so Jing's body could withstand his chaotic neiggong better.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck it, I am proposing my own package.

13, 15, 22, 25, 26, 34.

Qi leeching instead of END that anyone can have, +2 Swords to utilize Sword Saint's tech, and developing our own neiggong.

5+1+6+3 = 15 months.

No thrown weapons. No spears. No sabers. No traps or any other stuff. Specialization and focus.

The END is there so Jing's body could withstand his chaotic neiggong better.
I don't see how it is too destructive as it is now.

This is why the END boost is just so fucking crucial; it gives us a stronger foundation to allow us to tap into ourneigong more safely. Level 7 Yuanshi Hundun will do us little good if we end up a broken wreck after we use it and are at risk of overexerting ourselves every time.
Or you can go for STR upgrade to end battles faster. Or for qi leeching to maintain the same level of strength throuout the fight.

There is nothing crucial about END. We made through the chapter without it, and we didn't destroy ourselves. Where do you see our qi harming us more than our enemies did?

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
No, not really an all-rounder. The END is there so Jing's body could withstand his chaotic neiggong better.

Exactly, it's absolutely crucial and it's a way to ensure that we can utilize one of Jing's greatest assets, his chaotic neigong, better. It's all done with the purpose of focusing on his neigong abilities and providing him with a stronger foundation with which to utilize them more safely and effectively. It is an absolute must.

I don't see how it is too destructive as it is now.

Yuanshi Hundun is at Lvl 5, and our END is 5. With neigong training, we will be at Level 7, and our corresponding END will still be at 5 without an upgrade. Basically, we'd be cultivating more qi than our body can safely handle. The answer here is to improve our body's ability to handle more qi safely by improving our END. Granted, our neigong would still be above our END after training, but we would at the very least not overexert ourselves nearly as much as we otherwise would.

Absinthe

Arcane
5 (+4 thrown, We really need a ranged skill by now)
10 (+4 traps, lets get this over with)
15 (+1 swords, minamoto tech)
22 (+1 Perception for 1 month, fuck yes)
25 (+1 to 3 physical stats for 6 months, also yes)
26 (Qi absorption, other opportunities for this will be rare)
30 (+1 Endurance, to use qi safely)

20 months

At the very least, we should get 22, 25, and 26

Any build that skips 22 is stupid imo. That's a dirt cheap perception boost.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Can you provide an example where using our neigong was not safe?

I can provide you plenty where our enemies roughed us up, but none where we harmed ourselves. So that's just words.

Basically, we'd be cultivating more qi than our body can safely handle.
That's why we swallowed the pearl that accumulates qi.

Esquilax

Arcane
Really, three basic weapons techs and traps, Absinthe? Why?

I'd also like to clarify; the neigong boost only improves our END, AGI, and STR while we're using it. It doesn't make us able to cultivate that qi more safely.

Can you provide an example where using our neigong was not safe?

I can provide you plenty where our enemies roughed us up, but none where we harmed ourselves. So that's just words.

treave had just said that this would be the case. It hasn't happened yet, but if our neigong exceeds our END, then of course it would:

Cultivating more amounts of that chaotic qi will hurt you more when you go nuts with it, yes.

He can confirm, but I took this to mean that a high END will mitigate the negative effects of our chaotic qi. I believe that the reason that we haven't experienced too many negative effects at the moment is because our level of inner strength does not exceed our endurance yet.

Absinthe

Arcane
Because they're dirt cheap and good to know, but if we're gunning hard for an endurance boost, let me adjust it. How is this?

Nevill

Arcane
He can confirm, but I took this to mean that a high END will mitigate the negative effects of our chaotic qi.
Of course. Having more END mitigates bodily harm. Having more AGI mitigates the risk of being hit. Having more LCK mitigates narrative damage.

Having more is better than having less. It is a good observation.

What is more crucial about it than in +1 STR, +1 AGI, or in +4 Traps?

Hey, traps are crucial, too! If Gao ying caught you in the net, all theEND in the world won't save you.

Baltika9

Arcane
treave had just said that this would be the case. It hasn't happened yet, but if our neigong exceeds our END, then of course it would:

Actually, yes it already has happened:
You roll away, trying to get to your feet. Your legs are trembling: assaulting Vairya’s body with that level of power and speed is beyond your flesh’s durability. You would not be surprised if the bones are already cracked… your leg muscles are certainly screaming at you in protest now.
If we want to go nuts with our physical attacks and punch the shit with all our might and speed, then we really must make sure are bones and muscles are up to the task. That was just a small taste of going above our limit, if we go into 10 STR/11AGI teritorry, we'd better have a natural toughness to go along with it. This is not negotiable for me.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
By going nuts I mean like when you explode your qi (e.g. second Yunzi fight, 100 man battle) or other similar over the limit moves that harm yourself.

Nevill

Arcane
If we want to go nuts with our physical attacks and punch the shit with all our might and speed, then we really must make sure are bones and muscles are up to the task.
That has nothing to do with the ability to handle your qi. That has everything to do with going against the opponent 2 tiers above you. Improve your leeching, improve your neiggong, and you'll be able to handle it just fine.

By going nuts I mean like when you explode your qi (e.g. second Yunzi fight, 100 man battle) or other similar over the limit moves that harm yourself.
I think 100 men nearly tearing our arm off and nearly cutting us to pieces had more to do with our lasting injuries than going overboard with qi.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Remember how his neigong couldn't be used for a while? Internal injuries, which are qi-inflicted, and the bulk of that he did to himself with that last explosion.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I agree with Esquilax and Baltika9 that endurance boost is non negotiable.

What happens when we can't use our neigong like after our 100 hundred man battle? With natural endurance it stays, while neigon endurance gous out of window. Nautral endurance stays unless we injure ourself that it actually drops permamently or temporally.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, she could. It's 3 months, and I'll add it in when I get the chance.

Edit: It's 35, so as not to mess up the numbering.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
It is not worth 5 months of Jing's time.

We have achieved far more in half a year than +1 stat can ever cover.

Tribute

Arbiter
Oooh good idea.

I humbly present

Elf berserker's sword and saber package.

3. Saber +4 ( 1 month)
13. Sword training with zhang +1 sword ( 2 months )
15. Minamoto sword tech and +1 sword ( 3 months)
16. Self taugh Yuchang tech ( 3 months )
22. improved Reikan ( 1 month )
25. Neigong training ( 6 months )
30 Endurance training ( 5 months )

Total time: 21 month ( 1 year 9 months. )

it's bit longer than Esquile package and it doesn't have throw weapon skill, but it has more usable sword techniques and saber skills boost and saber technique

Voting 3,13,15,16,22,25,30
Do we need sword training with zhang AND the minamoto sword tech for sword boosts? Do those stack? If not, I'd drop sword training with Zhang and just stick with Minamoto sword and Yunchang sword training.

And we need artistic training somewhere in there. Not budging on that after we've passed it up so many times.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ugh, I'm almost tempted to voting for a Clevian package, incorporating a stat boost to everyone of our stats. 10/10/10/10/10/10 should one day be ours.

Only 30 months, and we'd be 9/5/6/8/8/9/1

Absinthe

Arcane
If Yuhe Finger is a possibility, I might favor that technique over +1 Endurance. In that case, my two build options would be as follows:

A) No Endurance, instead Yuhe Finger and another +1 Swords
  • 5 (+4 thrown, We really need a ranged skill by now)
    10 (+4 traps, lets get this over with)
    13 (+1 swords, we're in business)
    15 (+1 swords, minamoto tech)
    35 (Yuhe Finger, fuck yes. Finger tech to devastate enemy neigong)

B) Keep Endurance, dropping skills & tech for Yuhe Finger
  • ]13 (+1 swords)
    30 (+1 Endurance, to use qi safely)
    35 (Yuhe Finger, fuck yes. Finger tech to devastate enemy neigong)

20 months

Which would you guys prefer?

EDIT: See here for 2 year package.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Esquilaxian Package.

It's hard to know exactly how long to stay, but we know we want some training, and the difference between 12 and 18 months isn't likely to be too large given all major factions in the world now have new leaders and must recalibrate. But we don't want to stay so long that we miss the Summit, and we don't want to come out just before the Summit - we want some time to learn what has happened in the world, and not be late to the party.

As for the actual upgrades, Esquilax is 100% right that we want our core skills and their necessary prerequisites improved. The neigong upgrade as well as Sword training is critical. The only thing I'm tempted by is 21, ZJ's new mystery tech, which would add 2 months...

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Do we need sword training with zhang AND the minamoto sword tech for sword boosts? Do those stack? If not, I'd drop sword training with Zhang and just stick with Minamoto sword and Yunchang sword training.

I believe that they stack. You can look at the bottom part of the training update.

Sword training is all around useful, but I am willing to negotate or flop if enough people gather around packkage that includes Minamoto sword tech, neigon training, endurance boost, improved reikan.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I can't guarantee Yuhe Finger is actually a healing technique in Jing's capable hands...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom