Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] 傳

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Oh yeah, Wuxing still has his debt of honor to settle, the one for his daughters, doesn't he?

^ Top  
  2. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    If even the sword saints beaten up from the fight with ahura, Huashan dudes probably in a similar or worse state.

I doubt there will be any more fighting today once wang's done what he's gonna do.

^ Top  
  3. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    Fighting, no. Throwing the blame around while preparing executions, yes.

^ Top  
  4. kazgar Arcane

kazgar
    Nah, everyone's gonna go home and deal with the dead and wounded.

Many lessons to be learnt, mainly around the fact the sects pre-eminence in martial arts may not be all that it seems, whether they are learnt is another thing.

^ Top  
  5. Kipeci Arcane

Kipeci
    It doesn't quite seem like Nie Wuxing is in an 'or worse' state. Jing's dishonored his daughter, helped the fire cult, is even now keeping their Holy Maiden with him and you think he's just going to shrug and walk off? He said that he would deal with us if he got out of this mess alive, and he did.

^ Top  
  6. Rex Feral Liturgist

Rex Feral
    It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy.

^ Top  
  7. profreshinal Arcane

profreshinal
    Meh, flopping to C, can't garantuee her safety in A

^ Top  
  8. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Nevill - A
    Anabanana - C
    Rex Feral - B > C
    Azira - A > B
    asxetos - A
    RealDDc - A
    Zero Credibility - C
    Baltika9 - C
    Jester - C > A
    Elfberserker - B > A
    ERYFKRAD - C > A > B
    Smashing Axe - A > C
    ScubaV - C
    XenomorphII - A
    Esquilax - C
    Lambchop19 - A > B
    The Brazilian Slaughter - C
    Fangshi - C
    Kipeci - C > B
    Bloodshifter - A
    Kashmir Slippers - A
    kazgar - C
    profreshinal - C
    Tigranes - A
    GreyViper - A
    TOME - A
    Random Word - C

Final tally:

A - 11
    B - 2
    C - 13

Post-flop:

A - 12
    C - 14

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    ^ Top  
  9. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Votes closed, guess my vote for C wasn't needed.

^ Top  
  10. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Parting and Reunion

You give Cao’er a nod. She goes up to Yunzi quietly and immobilizes her with a few expert jabs at her pressure points. Qilin arranges Yunzi over your back – you wince at the added weight, but you aren’t about to make the two girls carry Yunzi around – and you leave quietly, while the orthodox sects are still distracted.

Once you have gotten far enough, you let Yunzi down, dropping her on the grass. Cao’er undoes her paralysis, leaving the Holy Maiden to glare up at you suspiciously. “What are you planning?” she demands.

“Your friends should pass by this area soon,” you say, looking down. “I acquiesce to your wishes, princess. Isn’t that nice of me?”

“You’re… letting me go?” Yunzi seems slightly surprised, but pleased.

Qilin sighs, standing back. “And to think I went to all that trouble… Cao'er will just have to use that on you instead. But I think she might actually prefer it this way, so we'll discuss this later tonight, dear. At great length.” You gulp at the strangely gleeful tone in her voice and the disturbing things she is saying, but for now, you keep your focus on Yunzi. What happens later, happens.

“Honestly, I would rather be sporting and make you fight for your freedom,” you say, raising your fists mockingly, “but I’m in no condition to have a duel with you right now.”

“Yes, I suppose you are right. That would be unfair,” murmurs Yunzi as she gets up, stretching her limbs. “I would beat you into the ground too easily.”

Thank you,” you say sarcastically. “Just what do you plan on accomplishing when you return to the Fire Temple, though? Ahura is beaten and half of the Amesha Spenta are gone.”

“That is precisely why I am needed. I can keep the followers together and give them hope. The Tufan prince may yet demand his due… if I leave them now, who will speak for the temple?”

“A Tufan prince?” Your voice is calm, your mind colder. If it concerned matters of the Empire… The Tufan kingdom is the most dangerous and powerful of the fragmented states that rule over the Tibetan plateau. They have long harboured ambitions of hegemony, launching multiple invasions into Tang territory in the centuries past. “Is that where the Temple’s base is located?” Yunzi nods. “Destabilization,” you murmur. In the previous Tujue War, the orthodox sects were a deciding factor in the eventual Tang victory. Any foreign power would be wise to find a way to subjugate them before performing a military invasion. You would have to find out more about Tufan’s involvement in this and bring the matter to Shun’s attention.

“There is no need to pay homage to the Tibetan,” you say. “I could always get-“

“No!” interrupts Yunzi sharply, her eyes flashing with anger. “You forget who I am. I have no love for your Emperor or your country. Or for you.”

“If that is how you want it to be, fine,” you respond coldly, slightly angry at her words. “It’s not like I care.”

“I don’t care either,” she says, her coldness matching your own. She quickly turns away from you. “A-anyway,” she continues, a slight awkwardness in her voice as she struggles to find the words that she wants to say, “the current site of our sacred temple is in the mountains west of Liangshan. If you ever are free, I think you could… right, no…”

“Yes, yes, my darling will accept your invitation to visit, Holy Maiden,” Qilin says annoyedly, interrupting your talk with Yunzi.

“Does that invitation extend to me too?”

You freeze up as a figure in white steps forward from the trees, smiling thinly. Bai Jiutian.

“Go,” You wave at Yunzi. She nods, and murmurs, “Right… thank you.”

She runs off towards her followers, vanishing down the slope. You are prepared to intercept Bai Jiutian – by throwing yourself bodily at him if need be – but he makes no move to stop her. Seeing the look of mild surprise on your face, he shrugs. “Do you expect me to chase after the Holy Maiden? Yes, I suppose that is what duty asks of me.” He seems more relaxed and casual compared to your encounters with him during the tournament.

“Shirking your duty? Why, your master would be shocked if he knew his prized disciple was such a lazy ass,” you mock.

“No need for vulgarities here, Man Tiger Pig,” says Bai Jiutian calmly. “True, as an upstanding orthodox pugilist I should capture the evil fire witch and have her do penance for the crimes she has committed – that is what my master would want, but…”

“But?”

“Well, I do not need to explain myself to you of all people – I do believe we are not that close.” His smile is gracious and kind, but it feels false and bitter to you. “Now that I have seen what I came here to see, it is time for me to move on to the next item on my agenda.” With one fluid movement the Huashan swordsman draws his blade from its scabbard, its beauty complementing his own. “We have unfinished business from the tournament, don’t we?” Clenching your jaw, you take a stance. Does he plan to fight you here?

“That business will have to remain unfinished for now, I’m afraid.” The Sword Saint joins the conversation, dropping down from a nearby tree with his disciple by his side. “Master Shangguan,” bows Bai Jiutian respectfully. “I am glad to see you well: it was an eye-opener to see you fight side by side with my master.”

The Sword Saint snorts. “Side by side? Somehow, I managed to take the brunt of the fighting. That’s the last time I fight ‘side by side’ with Brother Nie. Well, you should not miss your master’s moment of glory. Better hop on back to his side.” Bai frowns, then his eyes widen. “It can’t be-“ With a frown, he sheathes his sword, mumbling inaudibly to himself. “I’ll be seeing you around, Man Tiger Pig,” he calls out over his shoulder, turning to leave.

“What a strange person,” comments Shangguan Chuji as he watches Bai Jiutian leave. You do not think he has room to say that about other people. “So, what happened? How is the Grand Taoist doing?” you ask the Sword Saint. He shakes his head.

“He did not make it. The old man’s gone. The exertion was too much for him…” His voice drops, almost a whisper. “I think he may have been poisoned, weakening him even before the fight.”

You recall the orthodox pugilists you fought saying something about that. “The Fire Cult?”

“Maybe. I don’t know yet, and I have no proof of anything,” mutters the Sword Saint darkly, the first time you have seen such a serious expression on his face. “I also found Abbot Fangzhang, Abbess Miecao and Sect Leader Qi – it looks like Taoist Zhengchong managed to haul them out. The Abbot has sadly passed away from his injuries. The Abbess is in a coma, tended to by her nuns.” You look at Cao’er, who is gripping your hand tightly. You squeeze back in a comforting gesture. You should definitely go to the Abbess with Cao’er soon. The Sword Saint continues, “Qi Liuwu lost both of his arms, but is otherwise doing well.” You don’t think you would call that ‘doing well’.

“In the current circumstances, Su Cheng and Liu Ye pushed for Nie Wuxing to be named the next leader of the Eight Sects on the spot thanks to his brilliant leadership in pulling together the orthodox fighters in their darkest hour.” The Sword Saint’s tone is slightly mocking: you can tell that he does not agree.

“So that is how it is,” you say.

“That is how it is,” he nods. “For the time being, I would advise you to stay away from the orthodox sects. Oh, and take this.” He reaches into his robes and pulls out a tattered piece of cloth. “Master,” Murong Yandi exclaims, “that is… the Jueshi Wugong Sword Song!”

“You have a good aptitude for swordplay, though you seem to have neglected its training.” He tosses you the rag. “Commit it to memory. It will increase your potential and help you master the sword more quickly.”

“...why?” you ask.

“Because you made the right decisions. Mostly, anyway,” shrugs Shangguan. “So, the faster you become stronger, the sooner I can retire and leave these troublesome pugilistic affairs to my disciple and to you.” You laugh. “Thank you, Master Shangguan,” you say, looking at the cloth. It appears to be a poem or song of some sort. You memorize it, trying to comprehend its meaning. Watching you peer intently at the cloth, Murong Yandi speaks up. “Master, maybe I could-“

“No, Yandi. Let him figure it out on his own. Even a child who has never held a sword can comprehend the first step.” You quickly finish committing the words to memory, confident that you can apply them in the training of your sword skills in the future. You return the cloth to Shangguan Chuji politely, thanking him again.

“Good,” he says quickly as he looks all around him. "That took you a while." He seems to be hurrying all of a sudden… you wonder why. “Well, time waits for no man. I should be going. May we meet again, Xu Jing. Preferably without your master present.” With a laugh, the Sword Saint and his disciple disappear into the trees as quickly and as mysteriously as they appeared. Still, one last thing remains to trouble you: Shangguan Chuji had predicted that your master would arrive to join in the battle, but he had not appeared. Was the Sword Saint wrong?

Before you can go anywhere, a shadow falls over you. You feel that familiar, dominating presence, somehow even stronger than before.

You turn around, looking up.

“Uh oh,” says Qilin.

Zhang Jue is standing there, a cruel smile on his lips. An eye-patch similar to your own lies across his right eye, and the number of scars covering his body seem to have multiplied. It looks like his travails abroad have not left him unmarked.

“There you are, my foolish yet amusingly overachieving disciple,” he grins. "It is time for a test."

Just your luck.

You sigh. “You are late, my master.”

---CHAPTER END---

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    "Master Zhang!" you squeal, seizing the man in a bear-hug in the split second of confusion provoked by your high, piercing tone.

"Wha-"

"We missed you so, so much! Where have you been? What's wrong with your eye? Did you kill a lot of huge, powerful things? You did, didn't you-"

"...we?"

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  12. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    The Grand Taoist and Grand Abbot of the Shaolin Temple are dead. Qi Liuwu has lost both his arms, and assumedly won't be teaching us any more of his Eighteen Palms, and the Grand Abbess of Emei is comatose. And now Nie fucking Wuxing is in charge of the Orthodox Sects.

Wonderful.

At least we got something from the Sword Saint, since we ostensibly won't be learning Taiji Sword either with the Grand Taoist dead.

We just got our shit half-wrecked by the Guardian of Metal and probably won't hold up well against Zhang here, but hey, at least he called us "overachieving". Apparently what efforts we have made haven't gone unnoticed.

^ Top  
  13. Kashmir Slippers Magister

Kashmir Slippers
    SWOOOOOOOORDS!!!!!

I knew that The Sword Saint was a bro! Too bad Zhang is about to kill us and steal our women.

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    We are Zhang's one true love, these hussies can't hold a candle to us.
    :rpgcodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tribute Arbiter

Tribute
    It's possible he won't kill us. He doesn't exactly seem disgusted with our progress over the last several months, even if we haven't actually been doing the things he told us to do.

We're certainly not going to WIN, though, no.

^ Top  
  16. Kashmir Slippers Magister

Kashmir Slippers
    He will tear them away from us just like he offered to with our arm. It is all for our strength of course.

I just noticed treave gave the sword skill a +1 cap and a speed boost. He has to be trolling us now.

^ Top  
  17. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    ... How convenient.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Speed boost?

And I don't think Nie Wuxing will last long as the Central Pugilist and all that talk of "I'm the strongest and best there evar was!"
    No, motherfucker, you're not.
    :incline:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Yeah, I really think Huashan was behind the poisoning of the Songfeng leader. Remember that the heir had just returned from a period of training with them. This has been a longterm effort of theirs to dominate the puglistic world through nefarious means.

Also don't forget that Nie was overly concerned for the welfare of Qilin, given his supposed orthodox leanings. This implies a business relationship with the Wudu cult.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You don't inherit the titles. It remains vacant till the next Summit.

^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    About three years, huh?

Say, how would A have turned out?

^ Top  
  22. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You can probably guess what would happen from this update.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Yeah, it was probably a good thing A didn't win... edit: oops, looks like I forgot to flop earlier. Props to Esquilax fot turning the codex from their madness.
    Some good deduction there.

Of course, it would be extremely funny if Zhang just walked up to him right now and pulled his head off or something...

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Just wait until Nie Wuxing gets on a power trip and decides he can fuck with Zhang Motherfucking Jue.
    :avatard:
    Dis gon b gud.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    We knew that Nie was a dislikable fellow, and we knew that having arrived at the Fire Cult challenge late, and having left them to fight the Great Faggot, this was going to become the site of the power shift to the Douchebag Generation. Well, we chose some massive Yunzi points (or at least, they better be massive) and various other gains/experiences, and for now, there's not a lot we can do. As the Sword Saint says, we should stay away from the Orthodox sects for now, and hope for a future opportunity to put a wrench in their plans.

I suppose this also puts a stop to our periodic lessons with Qi Liuwu? Unless he's now even more willing to have somebody learn his craft.

The most worrying part of the update is surely Bai Jiutian, however. Don't tell me he's pulling the "Oh I'm that character who is a teacher's pet everyone loves but in fact am totally canny to what's going on and live to manipulate all these stupid orthodox people to my advantage while pursuing my secret clandestine goals".

Like a Theseus-Shulgi.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.