Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
I see desperate manwhore logic is going full blast here.

You guys are some seriously insecure fucks.

Esquilax

Arcane
I see the desperate manwhore logic is going fullblast here.

You guys are some seriously insecure fucks.

Haha, well, I was just kidding around, but now that you've started throwing insults around yet again, I am convinced.

Flopping to B6

not really

Come on man, you don't need to be so abrasive to make your point. Big deal man, so we disagree, let's see where the next update leads us. Let's not be dramatic and think that either Yunzi or Armaiti is going to lead to some horrible fate, I'm sure we'll have options with either. I (and others) just find the Yunzi and Jing team a lot more of an interesting combination, that's it.

Baltika9

Arcane
Uh, obviously. We're grown-ass men sperging and OCDing over NUMBERS and fictional women, to the detriment of our social and professional lives for no tangible benefits whatsoever.

Welcome to the 'Dex.

Absinthe

Arcane
:notsureifserious:

Anyway, updated tally:

ERYFKRAD A
Ifeex A>B5
Akkudakku B5
Fangshi B5
XenomorphII B5
Kipeci B5
Baltika9 B5>A
Azira B5
Nevill B5
Smashing Axe B8
Jester B7>A
Esquilax B5
Kashmir Slippers A>B5
asxetos B5
Rex Feral B6>B5
Absinthe B6>A
GreyViper B5
Tribute B6
Kz3r0 B6
Grimgravy B6
Chumbucket B7
ScubaV B5
Profreshinal B2
archaen A>B5
Kayerts B6>B5
Lambchop19 B6>A
Elfberserker B4>B6
TOME B5
A 4 (3 preferential flops to B5)
B5 12
B2 1
B4 1 (preferential flop to B6)
B6 7
B7 2
B8 1

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Esquilax, it's damn two-faced to make snide insinuations then act all affronted so when you say shit like "why so rude" I just think of you as a hypocrite, honestly. You have your way of being rude, and I have mine. Everyone wins. Also, I like the codex because it's a great place to really say my mind and be abrasive. I've just been unusually polite throughout most this thread 'cause persuasive shit. Normally I swear more.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
The sooner that you realize that this thread is full of condescending, snide know-it-alls and accept the comedic value of us getting angry discussing an online CYOA, the better the experience is for all of us.

:troll:

profreshinal

Arcane
Let's face it. Cao'er has the best combat skills. She has a 10! in thrown weapons.
Rank 10 - You have elevated your mastery of this skill into the realms of the divine. Even the gods would be jealous of your prowess.
Combined with her 10! in pressure points she's the most capable person in incapacitating monks without doing any lasting damage.

Meanwhile we're trying to decide which girl with a mere 8, or less, in combat skills we're going to take along. Sure Cao'er doesn't have the best neigong and Qingong but if you're this far ahead in combat skills, you're godlike with them, you don't need the dirty tricks from the neigong and qingong.

B2

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's just ask the Abbot to partner us. Then he'll have to fight himself, will likely implode, and we can take over Shaolin too.

Absinthe

Arcane
Liedu Zhuanhua Skill (烈毒轉化功, Fierce Poison Transformation Skill), the Wudu Cult's basic neigong skill. It transforms the user's qi into one of a poisonous nature, allowing them to inflict crippling pain upon an opponent even when unarmed. It can also absorb all toxins, turning them into temporary fuel to strengthen the neigong of the practitioner, though at a cost of weakening the body in the long-term if overused.

asxetos

Augur
I think the choice here is between gaining more strength by making it more challenging (option A) or sacrificing some of that gain for bonding points and some gain for the other person (options B). I dont believe we will fail the Gauntlet. Just some meta thoughts.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
ERYFKRAD - A
Ifeex - A>B5
archaen - A>B5
Kashmir Slippers - A>B5

Elfberserker - B4>B6

Akkudakku - B5
Fangshi - B5
XenomorphII - B5
Kipeci - B5
Baltika9 - B5>A
Azira - B5
Nevill - B5
Esquilax - B5
tropic - B5
asxetos - B5
TOME - B5
ScubaV - B5
GreyViper - B5

Rex Feral - B6>B5
Absinthe - B6>A
Kayerts - B6>B5
Lambchop19 - B6>A
Tribute - B6
Kz3r0 - B6
Grimgravy - B6

Jester - B7>A
ChumBucket - B7
profreshinal - B7

Smashing Axe - B8

Final tally:

A - 4
B4 - 1
B5 - 13
B6 - 7
B7 - 3
B8 - 1

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Shaolin Gauntlet II

“You monks actually built a pagoda just for a challenge you expected no one would take?” you say in disbelief, looking at the five-storey, octagonal structure that towers over you.

Fangci shrugs, his massive shoulders conveying perfectly his lack of concern about your thoughts. “The Abbot of the time thought it would be good labour for the monks. You enter from here when you are ready.” He gestures at the open iron doors of the pagoda. As you and Yunzi step inside, a novice monk lights up a large joss stick placed in a brazier near the doors – when the incense burns down, the challenge is over.

The doors close behind you as soon as you enter, but your eyes are glued to something else.

The first floor of the pagoda is filled with wooden mannequins, sticking up from the floor like misshapen tree stumps. They are still for now, their vaguely humanoid shape disquieting in the silence. Rods of wood and metal protrude from each of the mannequins; though many of them are bare, blades, hammers and barbed flails can be found at the ends of some of the rods. In the dim, smoky interior of the pagoda, you can make out dark discolorations on the floor and the mannequins.

“Blood?” Yunzi wrinkles her nose.

“Whoever was here last certainly found themselves all over the place,” you say, as you look up towards the low ceiling. Large, rust-brown spatters have stained the wooden beams. At the other end of the room is the exit, a small stairway leading upwards.

“How are the Abbot and the other monks going to get up to the upper floors? Are there ladders on the outside?” asks Yunzi.

“I don’t know. They could just fly to the top using their qinggong,” you venture.

Yunzi chuckles. “Alright, let’s not waste any more time gawking.” She takes a step forward.

There is a loud, grinding noise, and the floor trembles. The mannequins begin to move – creakily – swinging from left to right in a jerky, halting motion. The barbed flails sway gently as they do so. Slowly, they begin to pick up speed, each mannequin turning at different intervals.

“It looks like we are supposed to carefully negotiate our way past the mannequins by considering their timing in our movements, blocking or dodging when necessary,” you say.

Yunzi stares as the mannequin closest to you whips around, its metal hammer rushing through the air at high speed. “Blocking? Maybe you should give it a try first.”

You give her a smirk that you know she’ll find irritating. “What’s the matter, too afraid to make a go of it? Who was the one that really wanted to come along?”

“I-it’s not like I really wanted to participate in this with you! I just wanted to test my own skills – I’d have challenged it whether you wanted to or not,” she protests.

“If you say so, Holy Maiden. But you’re right. I should give it a try first. If I make it past, I’m leaving you here,” you say lightly, hopping into the field of rotating wooden mannequins.

The first strike arrives; two wooden rods, from the left and right at the same time. You block them with your forearms and struggle to keep your surprise down: the mannequins hit with enough force that any untrained person would have their bones broken in a flash. Exhaling, you deflect the blows and force the mannequins to turn away, moving past them and deeper into the room. The second attack comes again from the same angle, but the timing is different, as are the heights. You manage to slip past them, and then another, but the number of attacks increase rapidly the deeper you venture into the room. Soon, you find yourself unable to keep up; the flurry of blows from all sides threaten to overwhelm you, and you hurriedly retreat back to the entrance before you are hurt.

Yunzi gives you a little smirk of her own, apparently pleased by your inability to pass this stage on your first try.

“Why don’t you give it a try, then?” you gesture, waving at the faceless mannequins in their ceaseless dance.

“See, I’ll do this the smart way,” she grins. Then, she jumps. The ceiling is low enough that she cannot jump too high or too far, but deftly, she lands on top of the closest mannequin, expertly keeping her balance even during its violent rotations. “I’ll just make it past by stepping on their heads! If you don’t catch up, I’ll leave you behind here, Xu Jing!”

Yunzi makes short, nimble hops from mannequin to mannequin, steadily progressing across the room. Still, you recall the blood spatters on the ceiling, and it doesn’t take long before your suspicions are confirmed. One of the mannequins makes a sudden turn, swinging its weapons upwards instead. With a surprised yell, Yunzi hops back. The ones behind are have also begun attacking vertically, the reach of their weapons passing dangerously close to Yunzi. Gasping, she zig-zags her way over the tops of the flailing mannequins, hopping as if her life depended on it.

As she lands next to you, she mutters a long curse in Tujue. “Stupid wooden dolls! What’s with that sudden attack? That’s not fair!”

“Well, it is pretty smart of the makers,” you grin, earning yourself an angry, scornful stare from Yunzi.

“Don’t make me throw you into the mannequins,” she mutters, glancing at the wooden mannequins. “Are you asking for a fight?”

“Here?” You wonder if there could possibly be any reasons not to fight right here. “I suppose it wouldn’t be fun enough if we crossed in perfect peace and harmony, would it? Are you proposing a race?”

“If you have enough guts to accept it.” Yunzi’s eyes scan the mannequins again – you realize that she is attempting to observe the vertical movements of the mannequins. It looks like she’ll make another try to cross the room by hopping over the mannequins.

Her basic understanding of the concept behind this particular challenge is correct; you have come to the same conclusion – probably – after having a go at it and watching Yunzi’s own attempt. This stage isn’t called a labyrinth for nothing: there is quite likely a proper path through the mannequins, a path of least resistance. You had only met overwhelming attacks from the mannequins because you pushed through the center, disregarding the trail you were supposed to discover for yourself.

A. You won’t waste time with guided paths. No matter how strange and fearsome they may seem, these mannequins are still made of wood. Something you can destroy. You will blaze your own path of destruction across the room by smashing all the mannequins in your way – this method will be far riskier, but it’s the fastest way for you to do it.

B. You will follow Yunzi’s lead and run across the top of the mannequins. Their vertical movements are less frequent than their horizontal swings – it will probably be quicker and safer to cross the room in this manner, rather than relying on a ground path. You would just have to use your qinggong wisely to avoid getting hurt.

C. You attempt the challenge the way the maker intended; you will calmly observe the patterns of the mannequins’ rotation, and identify the best path through the dangerous room step by step. It will take a lot more time than the other methods, but there is no guarantee that the other methods will be successful, and you would rather take the slow, steady way.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
C - As fun as it is to be hasty, it might do Jing some good to be calmer about this stuff and figure it out the proper way. We can catch up with Yunzi later.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
C because Shaolin cares about their rules. Also I did say this equipment was costly :D

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
treave, do we choose a path for us both, or do we leave Yunzi to cross however she likes and choose for ourselves? I'd rather have Yunzi cross the room with her qinggong while we slowly progress through the room if she does not have the patience for it.

Something about taking the test in a way it is supposed to be taken strikes me as a right thing to do. If the test was designed to offer honorary Shaolin membership, it must ensure - on some level - that whoever passes it thinks in a way similar to the monks.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You choose for yourself. If you fall behind, Yunzi will leave you and move on, victorious. As stated in the update.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
The thing is that in order mode Jing should SEE the proper path easier, and after the proper path is found it will be a breeze to go through it. A seems as the LONGEST way of doing it. B is fast, but needs exceptional qinggong and balance, Jing has these but he also has a brain.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I bet there is some counter mechanism against A. If they were smart enough to block people trying to go above, then trying to use destructive force was probably accounted for too.

Of course they did. They made the mannequins out of wood instead of paper.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You choose for yourself. If you fall behind, Yunzi will leave you and move on, victorious. As stated in the update.
Ah, I just didn't know if we can veto that race idea of hers. Makes sense that we don't.

C.

asxetos

Augur
I think C (Reikan + Order mode) can solve it quite fast.
B will probably be hard/impossible to keep up because of our average qinggong.
A seems viable at first but there definitely be countermeasures, and even if it works we will have to use much of our stamina reserves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom