Official RPG Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

  1. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    If any of those two are true, which they probably are, I was suspicious of the priest from the moment he appeared, then the "revolt" may be a setup as well, and will side against us if the priest becomes immortal/revives Naram.
     
    ^ Top  
  2. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,311
    Codex 2012
    Resisting... urge... to... spoil...
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    Give in, treave, give in to the whispers. It is better that way.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,709
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I don't see why our relationship with other immortals has to be necessarily antagonistic like it was with Shulgi. We may be able to cooperate with some of the less megalomaniacal characters, I still suspect Naram won't be a dick to us if we aren't tyrannical.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. newcomer Learned

    newcomer
    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    Messages:
    919
    Well, Ean should've mind-scanned them, and I think it's easy to rescan him the moment we announce our agreement, if we do agree to the plan...
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    It's a gamble, though. Maybe he's just as ambitious as Shulgi, maybe not. However, it is up to us to make those gambles, and, quite frankly, I don't really trust the guy.
    By the way, Treavebro, are there any other immortals out there besides the ones we know?
     
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,311
    Codex 2012
  8. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,925
    OK, I don't know how the hell did I manage to miss this awesome LP so far.

    Voting BAA (before noon).
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    Tigranes
    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    Messages:
    9,852
    Flip flop from AAA to ABB (dusk or whatever it is).
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    For the record, I think doing the ritual is a bad idea.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,311
    Codex 2012
    ABB wins. Update incoming.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,311
    Codex 2012
    Chapter 3.4: Underneath the Temple

    "We won't need the Sceptre, Akil."

    The young man was crestfallen that you decided not to go along with his plan. You know that he had been betting all his hopes on you aiding him to overthrow the Gieloth cult. "Master Runi, without the Sceptre, we will not be able to defeat Sekhenun! Only Ra's mighty fire can scourge the evil god from his temple!"

    You raise your hand to silence his protest.

    "First things first - how good are your rebels at fighting, Akil?"

    "Well, we've had some practice... some of them served with the Heliopolis militia and have taught us how to fight."

    "Have they ever fought in a real battle before?"

    "N-no, sir."

    "Secondly, how many of them are there?"

    "There's more than five hundred of us, and we're all willing to lay our lives down to defeat these heathens!"

    "That's five hundred lives on your hands, Akil. Their deaths are on you. There are a few thousand cultists, and like it or not, your friends will die. Can you live with that, knowing that they would have lived if you had not raised the banner for revolt?"

    "I..."

    "You are not cut out for this, Akil. Trust me. I know of a way to destroy Sekhenun for good, without sacrificing the lives of your friends. It is enough that we risk our own lives to save theirs." Inwardly you hope that what worked against Sekhenun's brethren will work for him - or else your bravado would be for naught. "We will sneak into the Temple at the next dusk prayer, using Akil's secret tunnel." Akil looks down, disappointed. You sense that he is not fully convinced of your ability to take on the Gieloth without divine aid.

    "Time to get some rest then, brother." Samun nods at Kamun, and the both of them prepare to turn in. Mutyre had apparently nodded off, it seems, on her own bed. You look out the window. The Temple of the Sun, blacker than the night itself, looms in the darkness.

    ***

    The tunnel entrance was in a hole under some planks of wood, in an abandoned shack close to the temple. There were very little guards around - you had counted only three as you made your way from the inn to the shack - most of them had flocked to the courtyard to attend dusk prayers.

    Loyal little drones, aren't they?

    You and your companions descend down the ladder carefully. Twilight has taken away most of the natural light available. You reach the bottom of the ladder first, and light your torch. The others do the same as they join you.

    "I guess the cultists were too stupid to think that there was a tunnel here." quips Mutyre confidently. "Maybe. Only the high priest and my father knew of this entrance. It was how I escaped the temple when they came." Akil replies, in a subdued manner. You gesture at him. "Lead the way, then."

    Akil walks to the front of the group nervously, and begins to head deeper into the tunnel. It is narrow enough that you have to travel in single file. You follow, and then Mutyre, with the soldier brothers bringing up the rear. The tunnel was roughly carved, and did not exhibit the same polish the Egyptians usually applied to their stoneworking - clearly made for a more utilitarian purpose. As you proceed, the air grows colder. "Where will this tunnel lead to?" Kamun whispers from the back of the line. "It's a bit cramped." Kamun and Samun were considerably bulkier than you, and the narrow tunnel was a tight squeeze for their frame. "We'll come out in the kitchens."

    "Oh good, I hope there's food. The dates we had for dinner weren't very filling." laughed Mutyre.

    "That's strange." Akil stopped suddenly. You nearly walk into him. You sense a strong feeling of puzzlement from him. "What's wrong?"

    "The path branches into three ways. This wasn't here when I came through here before."

    "You were here as a child, weren't you? You might have missed it." offered Mutyre.

    "No, I don't think so. I remember seeing the plans Father gave the workers. The tunnel does not branch. This was not here before."

    "The cultists know about this tunnel, then. That's the simplest explanation." you say. "They are the only ones who would have the opportunity to expand it."

    It's the simplest explanation, but it doesn't make things simple for you.
    So, where to now? Should you probe the path a bit?

    The voices give a sound suggestion. You tell your companions to wait a bit, and squeeze your way past Akil to stand at the fork. The leftmost path tilts slightly upward, and the air is warmer. The central path keeps at your current level, and widens out a few steps beyond the fork. The rightmost path tilts slightly downward, and grows narrower. The air wafting from that passage is cold.

    You close your eyes and spread your mind out cautiously, only probing tentatively lest you give yourselves away. The leftmost path leads to a group of humans... cultists. There is a feeling of pleasure and contentment. Probably it is the way to the kitchens that Akil mentioned.. There are other humans in the central path - in that direction you feel fear, loathing and a sense of resignation from them. There is also a weak alien presence... probably one of the Children. In the rightmost path, there is again a Child of Sekhenun, but beyond that there is a strange barrier you cannot penetrate. You feel the Child on the rightmost path begin heading up the pathway, towards your party.

    You must decide, and decide quickly.

    ***

    A. You move up the left path, towards the kitchens. Best to stick to the original plan. Humans you can deal with swiftly and without any fuss.

    B. You go straight, on the central path. Judging from their emotions, it is possible that the humans there are prisoners of the Gieloth - if so, freeing them can gain you information and more aid to defeat the cult.

    C. You charge down the right passageway. The Child does not know you are here - your telepathy assures you of that. You can surprise it, defeat it, and check out the strange barrier. You suspect it is a shortcut to Sekhenun.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    C. Risky, but hey.
     
    ^ Top  
  14. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,925
    B. We need better info and those prisoners just might have it.​

    Although C isn't bad either - one less Child to worry about if we can surprise it. A is kind of pointless though - we are not here to fight human cultists.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. TOME Cuckmaster General

    TOME
    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    1,820
    C

    If the child is alone, we can test drive his abilities and gain far more valuable information that the prisoners can offer.

    Treave: how are our senses? Can we see in the dark? Do we feel vibrations under our feet when someone is walking near us? Or have we just ignored them and focused on our telepathy?
     
    ^ Top  
  16. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,311
    Codex 2012
    Good catch. Your reliance on telepathy has kept your senses at a peak human level. You can see, smell, hear, taste and feel better than most, but nothing that'll really help against the Children.

    Spending about fifty years in a psychic-dampening pit fighting endless waves of monsters will solve that, though.
     
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,537
    Let me gues, we're standing right above it.
     
    ^ Top  
  18. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

    CappenVarra
    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    Messages:
    2,904
    Location:
    Ardamai
    B let's get help from the sacrifices
     
    ^ Top  
  19. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,345
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    We don't know that the children aren't psychically linked or at least capable of communicating in such a way with eachother. If that's the case, then it's a bit early to tip our hand..
    I'm currently learning towards B. Freeing hostages and killing a weak child of Sekhenun should be possible without putting the whole place at full alert. But if we could conceivably block the more mature child's telepathy with our own and take it down without arising suspicion, that would be a big plus, so provided someone comes with the right arguments, I could be swayed to C. :M
     
    ^ Top  
  20. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,311
    Codex 2012
    Ah, sorry, both presences are weak in comparison to the ones you felt at Memphis and Tuwanu. Didn't mean to imply that one was weaker than the other, it's just Ean recognizing a Child as having a weaker presence. You do not know which is stronger, nor do you know what strange and terrible powers each of them might wield.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,345
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Ah. OK. We're in the dark, literally. Then I say we take down the child heading our way.
    C
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,709
    Divinity: Original Sin
    A - I suspect these things are psychic, or at least their maker is. One blinks out, it will cause concern. We can likely deal with the human cultists quick enough to avoid this.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    Tigranes
    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    Messages:
    9,852
    #Azira makes a good point, we don't know what sorts of communication or warning mechanisms they could have in case of C, or even B (since treave says there's a slight alien presence). i don't know though - it's hard to decide between B and C. I do like how C would help us really get our current followers on our side, and convince Akil; we don't know if we'll have any way of dispelling the barrier, though.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. newcomer Learned

    newcomer
    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    Messages:
    919
    C is the only way. ALL TENTACLES MUST DIE
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Bloodshifter Educated

    Bloodshifter
    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    542
    Location:
    Somewhere with dead bears
    C mostly just to kill the child or interrogate the thing but NOT to open that barrier till we learn moar.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.