Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

  1. m4davis Scholar

    m4davis
    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2012
    Messages:
    557
    B
     
    ^ Top  
  2. XenomorphII Prophet

    XenomorphII
    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,114
    B. We should keep our group as together as possible, and I feel like the door might lead us to losing a few centuries again.
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    Muthafuckin' C.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Stygian Lurker Scholar

    Stygian Lurker
    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    Messages:
    577
  5. ScubaV Prophet

    ScubaV
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1,022
    C almost certainly contains a trap, but if we don't do it the Child will almost as certainly warn its master.

    Let's do C and hope for the best.

    Flippity flap to A
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

    Esquilax
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    Messages:
    4,822
    After thinking about it a bit, couldn't we simply ask Mutyre to examine the door for traps? treave, is A a straight-up "use your bros as a decoy" choice or a "have them look at it" choice, because it seems likely that she'll catch something we probably haven't.

    Sure, the Child might get away, but if it means we get in deeper while being unscathed, it's worth it.

    But if we become horribly maimed in the process of taking the Child out, then we're probably worse off than we would be letting it go. All on our own, no support from our fighter allies... it doesn't look good. I've flopped to B since it's probably time to cut our losses and fall back.

    A seems like the best solution. Mutyre seems to admire our bravery, so we should get her on that door ASAP. Why rush in without any regard for the consequences? That's stupid.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,295
    Codex 2012
    They aren't mindless pawns, so of course she won't open the door blindly. Akil and Mutyre have their own expertise, and you can expect them to use it when they have the chance to. Same with Samun and Kamun, though their expertise tends more towards the 'burying axes in people' sort.
     
    ^ Top  
  8. ScubaV Prophet

    ScubaV
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1,022
    Alright yeah, let's go with A.
     
    ^ Top  
  9. anus_pounder Arcane

    anus_pounder
    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2010
    Messages:
    5,972
    Location:
    Yiffing in Hell
    Voting B. Its more Ean.

    Willing to flip-flop to A.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. ScubaV Prophet

    ScubaV
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1,022
    I can see the appeal in keeping our group together, perhaps trying to go via the cultists. I doubt the prisoners are going to be much help though. They're tribute that's just arrived, what could they possibly know? I also doubt they'll be in much shape to help us nor are they likely to be as skilled as our bros. If anything, they'll get in the way or prematurely warn our enemies by escaping.

    Regardless, I think we need to make sure this current Child doesn't escape and warn Sekhunen. Let's let our thief and trap expert do her thing.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. TOME Cuckmaster General

    TOME
    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    1,820
    A
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Bloodshifter Educated

    Bloodshifter
    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    542
    Location:
    Somewhere with dead bears
    B Its time for interrogation
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Arpad Educated

    Arpad
    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2012
    Messages:
    248
  14. ScubaV Prophet

    ScubaV
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1,022
    I don't know how treave feels about unofficial vote tallying, but anus_pounder if you flip-flop that would change the leading vote as it stands now.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. Bloodshifter Educated

    Bloodshifter
    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    542
    Location:
    Somewhere with dead bears
    Treave Just wondering can't we mind punch the door off?

    If we can I might flop to A
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Esquilax Arcane

    Esquilax
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    Messages:
    4,822
    We can't use telekinesis to blast the door off its hinges, because we suck at it:

    But that's why we have a thief who is good at detecting traps in our party. Look, at this point, going back and letting this thing go isn't an option - neither is an insane charge. We've come this far, and even though the prospect of splitting up our group and being separated from our two best warriors sucks, we have to forge ahead. The biggest problem would be if Mutyre gets hurt, our restoration powers would take a lot out of us to heal her.
     
    ^ Top  
  17. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    oscar
    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    7,643
    Location:
    NZ
    A, Ean needs to be at full strength and this is a job for the party rouge.
     
    ^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,295
    Codex 2012
    Dishonorable vote speculation isn't a problem with me... for this particular choice at least. So flip away.

    I'll tally and update in a couple of hours.


    A 7
    B 6
    C 2
     
    ^ Top  
  19. Bloodshifter Educated

    Bloodshifter
    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    542
    Location:
    Somewhere with dead bears
    wait what? we can heal others??
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I'll flip from C to A in order to break the tie
     
    ^ Top  
  21. treave Arcane Patron

    treave
    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Messages:
    11,295
    Codex 2012
    Chapter 3.6: Incubator

    You step back from the door.

    “Could you take a look at this for any traps?” you ask.

    Mutyre comes to your side, and peers at the wooden door. “Hold this for me, Akil, and give me some light to work with.” She passes her torch to Akil, and begins to run her fingers across the door deftly, muttering as she works. You lean back in the gloom, watching the both of them, and feel your flesh begin knitting itself together.

    “The door seems safe. I can’t find anything wrong with it at all. It’s just a door.” concludes Mutyre, completing her investigation. You make to go over and open the door yourself, but before you can say anything, she pushes the door open, and walks in. Akil follows her without a word.

    You hurry to catch up with them. The other side of the door is utterly dark, and you still can’t hear or sense a thing from within. The lights from their torches have been extinguished. You call out to them. “Akil? Mutyre?” No response. You take a deep breath and brace yourself – you can’t abandon them now – before walking into the unknown. You take a step into the chamber beyond.

    You hear the door closing behind you. The floor is… soft. It squishes when you step on it. Almost immediately, you feel a wet, slimy substance slapping on your face and wrapping around your limbs tightly. The torch goes out, smothered by the mysterious substance. You feel tendrils entering your ears, probing into your brain – they go in deep, uncovering your purpose here, your immortality, your knowledge of the Gieloth... As suddenly and as quickly as it begins, the probe stops. The substance falls away from you, leaving you gasping.

    interesting

    You hear a smooth, feminine voice in your mind, the sentences floating in and out of existence.

    so you are the one who defeated Pahnrath
    you made what you stole from Pahnrath your own, immortal

    It’s Sekhenun.

    it looks like her body still recognizes her own mind

    Quick, get some light!

    Your torch is gone, but you hold your hand aloft and conjure a small orb of flame. The flickering fire lights up the chamber you are in, allowing you to see where you truly are. It is not a pleasant sight, and part of you wishes you did not see it.
    The room is not very big. The walls, ceiling, and floor are all lined with a shiny, black slime. There are ten large translucent sacs protruding from the slime. Dark veins run all along the sacs, and within you can see smaller Gieloth curled up into a mass of tendrils. They move and shift as you look at them. Closer to you, Akil and Mutyre have been trapped in the slime. They are held aloft, eyes closed, as black tendrils swarm all over their body. Your telepathy and your other psychic abilities are not working here. This room appears to be insulated from outside influences, just like –

    a womb

    You can see the source of the voice now. A young woman, dressed in golden jewelry fit for the Pharaoh himself. Dressed only in golden jewelry. There is plenty of her tanned skin on display, and even in your current circumstances you can’t help but admire her lithe form.

    Keep yourself focused! This is why we told you to visit more brothels, dammit!

    The voices do have a point. You stare at her, straight in the eyes. The woman opens her mouth and speaks, in the same voice that spoke to you directly.

    “Pahnrath lost her mind, but I managed to rescue her body for other uses. Now she nurtures and teaches the children. They sleep in her sacs, and she gives of herself to make them stronger.” Sekhenun walks over to one of the sacs and places a wonderfully manicured hand on it. “You were the one that hurt this child, weren’t you? Even now it recovers, thanks to Pahnrath.” You can’t tell whether the Gieloth slumbering in that sac was the one you attacked just moments before. They all look the same to you. It squicks you out a bit to know that you are standing inside a Gieloth, though.

    “So, why are you here, immortal? Are you here to complete the job and kill the last sister of the House of Me’kras? Or are we here to exchange words? ” She looks at you, expressionless, her dark eyes glittering in the fire you held up. “Then again, a dog of the gods can do nothing but hunt now, can it?”

    Wow, this is a wordy one. Her siblings seemed more single-minded. Are you going to kill her now?
    Don’t believe anything this tentacled bitch tells you, but we shouldn’t have to tell you that, yeah? Also, these things don’t really have ‘she’ and ‘he’, if you get what I mean, so don’t get distracted!

    You keep quiet and think for a while. You cast another look at Akil and Mutyre. They remain unchanged, but you know you cannot afford to take your attention off Sekhenun to free them. She could beam her voice into your head, but she appears uncertain of your purpose here. What the remnants of Pahnrath found in your mind doesn’t appear to become part of her knowledge. Her telepathic abilities might be dampened by the nature of the room too, just like yours. The room itself shouldn’t harm you, as it recognizes you as itself. These are the things you speculate on, as you think furiously to find a way out of your situation. If any of your guesses prove false...

    But there is one thing you can bet on.

    You might be able to defeat Sekhenun here, if the contest comes down to just pure physical strength.

    ***

    A. You leap at Sekhenun, relying on your physical ability to win the day. You’ve fought Gieloth face to face before, and you are confident in your strength to succeed. You cannot sustain your fire while you fight - you'll just have to rely on your instincts to battle in the darkness.

    B. You light up the place with your fire. BURN ALL TENTACLES! This should distract Sekhenun enough that you can free Akil and Mutyre, before deciding whether to fight or flee.

    C. You engage in Gieloth diplomacy. She might tell you more about this conflict between the voices and the Gieloth that you have found yourself unwittingly participating in. Besides, this is the first Gieloth you have met that hasn’t wrapped you up in tentacles and tried to eat you.

    D. You turn and run, kicking that fucking wooden door to pieces as you bravely charge back into the tunnel. It is a very bad idea to fight a Gieloth while standing inside another Gieloth. Who knows what could happen?
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  22. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    oscar
    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    7,643
    Location:
    NZ
    A
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    We've already learned all we can of the Gieloth and will eventually decipher it in our mind. C sounds like a bad idea because Sekhenun is known as a manipulator and schemer and may be able to affect even us. The voices have been bro so far and gifted us with our powers and shit, I don't see why we should doubt them yet. I'm ambiguous about B since our friends could well be under her influence. A could be just as bad as the children of Gieloth might intercede, perhaps fire will keep them at bay?

    Not going to vote yet, debating between A and B at the moment. Regretting not going for elemental powers now.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    C, Stall for time, we need an opportunity. Soon as she turns her back on us, git her in the Gieloth.

    And if we do get out alive and intact, actually visit some brothels, y'know. To not get this distracted again.
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,509
    Yeah, elemental powers. We don't have any. Unless you count lighting torches to be among them.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.