Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[LP CYOA] Epic

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by treave, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    A3 :smug:

^ Top  
  2. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    B. Getting our powers back is the number one priority here, not risking destruction at the hand of another immortal whose personality and goals we have no idea of.

^ Top  
  3. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    A2 All out man TO battle!

^ Top  
  4. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    A - 12
    B - 9

Anbar-Shi - 10
    Enki's Lament - 6
    Sekhenun - 3

Well, so the Honourblade has an official name, Anbar-Shi, but Ean would look pretty silly naming his sword and all when both he and it are powerless right now, so I'll work it in sometime later in a more suitable and deserving manner.

Regarding immortal power levels - Ean is one of the oldest. There were probably not more than a handful of other immortals who could have beaten him in a straight fight with Anbar-Shi in hand. Things may and will change further down the road as the world expands.

Chapter 4.2: Aphrodite

You raise your hand and volunteer for the mission - immediately the chief handmaiden points you to stand to one side. Another warrior follows you soon after. At the same time, you see Sekhenun close her eyes and take a deep breath. Next, she walks over to the chief handmaiden and whispers in her ear. There is a brief exchange of harried words, and then the chief handmaiden appears to give a sigh of resignation and nods. She turns to another of the handmaidens and more words are exchanged. Finally, four handmaidens, including Sekhenun and the chief herself, come over. Sekhenun comes to your side as the chief handmaiden leads the way off into the island.

"Your nobility is endearing. I'm glad that you feel that regaining your powers with my help are secondary to running around looking for eternal priestesses."

You glance at her. "Didn't you want me to volunteer?"

Giving a small snort of disgust, she mutters under her breath, "So you get me to babysit you because of a misunderstanding. Have you no grasp of social cues, ape?"

"Oh, so it's 'ape' now? Why couldn't you just send your thoughts into my head anyway?"

"Sometimes I wonder why I don't just break our deal and eat you right now. That'd solve most of my problems in a flash." A glint of sudden, dangerous hunger comes into her eyes, and you decide to drop the matter for now.

The priestess's shrine was located a few hours away from the port. The walk (you couldn't march, because of the handmaidens) along the coast was breezy and comfortable under the warm sun. Along the way, you met many pilgrims, both locals and outsiders, who were here to visit the shrine. You learnt from them that the priestess was named Aphrodite, and had apparently mysteriously come ashore at the site of the shrine fifty years ago. She had not aged a day since, and exhibited great skill in the art of making love charms and potions.

It does not take long before you reach the shrine, walking along the rocky beach. As you part the veils and enter, the fragrant scent of incense assails your nose.

"Ah, travellers." A sweet, melodious voice fills your ears. In the center of the shrine, surrounded by numerous well-built men and nicely-shaped women, kneels a young woman draped in gossamer-thin white cloth, her long dark hair flowing down a flawless back. Her skin was of a pale shade that you had never seen before in all your travels. You feel a slight, familiar tingle in your mind, akin to the murmur of your long silent voices, which subsides almost immediately.

"I am Aphrodite. Welcome to my shrine. What do you seek here?" She stands up and approaches you. Standing so close, you realize that she is the singularly most attractive woman you have ever met. You cannot understand why, you simply know that she is attractive, and your body reacts thusly. Besides you, the other hired sword was already swaying. Even the handmaidens seem entranced by the priestess.

The chief handmaiden, sweating - you're not sure whether it is due to Aphrodite, or the walk - speaks up. "Divine priestess, my lady Mehrune of Egypt seeks your blessing in matters of love. We have heard that there is no greater than yourself in these matters."

Aphrodite makes a slow, small nod. "Of course, that is what everyone asks of me. I will require a price to be paid."

"Name it and it shall be paid."

Aphrodite grabs your arm suddenly, and you feel faint. "I require only this man." She leans in and whispers to you, "You are like me, are you not? I have not met another of my kind before, so stay with me for a while. I think we will have much to share." She pauses for a while. "My voices tell me that you have lost something, and they can provide me with the means to return it to you."

The chief handmaiden claps her hands once. "You shall have this man, great priestess, in return for your charms."

You turn to look at Sekhenun. She remains silent, waiting to see what you'd do. There is a slight smile curled around her lips, as if she was saying "I told you so."

A. You agree to the request. Another immortal could aid you better than a Gieloth could. You already felt the voices stirring in the brief instant you met her - spending more time with Aphrodite could awaken the voices again without having to go on a dangerous trip to Crete.

B. You reject the request diplomatically. It is not wise to anger another immortal in your powerlessness. She does not seem hostile; placating her with words and reasoning your way out would be the best option you have.

C. You reject the request roughly. Aphrodite may be attempting to influence you with her powers - speaking nicely would never work. You shake her hand off you before she has the chance to do anything else and be on your guard for any further tricks.

D. HELP ME, SEKHENUN! She's here to babysit you, in her own words - so she better do her job now.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    :yeah:

^ Top  
  6. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Fuck. Well, that was foolish. I certainly regret flopping now.

We can't reject the request now, because Lady Mehrune doesn't really give a fuck about us. We are in no position to reject anything because we have no authority here.

Sekhenun isn't going to help us because we decided to go on this excursion of our own free will. Calling on her to help us would piss her off greatly because it would blow her cover. I don't think Ean has enough of a way with words to placate the goddess, and pissing her off is foolish, so we'll have to go with the flow for now. Maybe Sekhenun can help us out later on. Remember that we're going to remain in Cyprus for two days, so perhaps we'll have an opportunity for escape back to our ship will present itself within that time.

Right now, all we can do is go with the flow.

A
    Flopped to B

^ Top  
  7. Collage Educated

Collage
    Agreeing to go was a stupid idea, but we might as well roll with it.

A it is.

^ Top  
  8. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    B

Tell her we are on a mission, but we can meet up with her afterwards (and why not? another immortal would make a fine ally). Duty before all and all that stuff. If she is reasonable at all she will accept. If she is not, at least we will know where we stand - and we can then try a different approach.

Edit: Still voting B if it includes removing her hand from us (diplomatically if possible). If not, then C - fuck that manipulative bitch.

Edit 2: Also voting for C if it comes to down to A or C. I think A is the worst choice here.

Edit 3: Voting B or C - whatever it takes to beat option A. B and C options are quite similar, and an ideal would be somewhere in between - reject her diplomatically, but remove her hand from us and stay on guard with her.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    A
    Remember the Odyssey.
    EDIT:More flippity flop

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Urist McLurker Learned

Urist McLurker
    Well, at least there's a silver lining; in Sekhenun's eyes we're no longer a dog!

I'm not quite sure what to choose. I would say it depends on how we answer with B, but as our history has very clearly shown us, Ean is terrible at doing that. When picking B, it's not Aphrodite that I'm worried about so much as it is Lady Mehrune.

A I guess if we get get along with Aphrodite we could end up with another immortal ally, but I'd much rather stick with Sekhenun. I suppose if we accept, we'll have much more time to convince Aphrodite to let us go on with our mission, and then we'll return for her?

Flipping to B, we were a royal guard for some years back in the day, I'm sure we must have at least learnt how to appease royalty and important people while getting out of what they want.

^ Top  
  11. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    It's pretty obvious she is trying to influence us using her powers. The way A is phrased I doubt we are going to have a chance to get back on the mission - this is basically breaking our deal with Sekhenun. And at least we know something about Sekhenun - she has kept her end of the deal with us even after 80 years. We know nothing about Aphrodite or her intentions. I think B is the safest way to test them.

^ Top  
  12. TOME Cuckmaster General

TOME
    A

B

^ Top  
  13. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    C. This should explain it.
    [​IMG]
    Then cut her head off with the sword.

Flopped to B.

^ Top  
  15. m4davis Scholar

m4davis
  16. Bloodshifter Educated

Bloodshifter
    A
    we don't Need to go but we still can if its wanted

^ Top  
  17. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    With what ship? Sekhenun and the rest of the crew leave in two days. Once they're gone, we're stuck here.

Aphrodite wasn't exactly known for being reasonable to those that spurned her. I don't think that an immortal love goddess is the sort that accepts payment for love charms on credit. At best, she'll let us go, but this move will earn the noblewoman's scorn. Since we refuse to go, that means Mehrune won't get the love charm she wanted. A bullshit line about how our duty right now is to complete the mission at Crete won't work because our actual duty here is to obey Lady Mehrune. Her handmaiden, who speaks for her, told us to go with Aphrodite, so that's what our duty is right now. Ean isn't Shulgi - he doesn't really have the skill of thinking up a clever line of bullshit.

Of course she's using her powers, it's why she touched us just now. I'd much rather deal with Sekhenun, but I'm afraid that any choice but A will result in us digging ourselves in deeper. I am still contemplating about flopping to B, but I am worried about how the inconsistency in our actions could affect us. First we volunteer to meet the goddess, now we don't want to see her - I don't like that indecisiveness. What the fuck are we doing here?

Basically, I am banking my hopes on Sekhenun giving us an opportunity to stowaway on the ship before it leaves. She is skilled at body manipulation and shielding her psychic presence, so she might be able to work something. It's a gamble, but I can't think of anything better.

^ Top  
  18. ScubaV Prophet

ScubaV
    I think I'll go with C on this one.

This quote is what bothers me:
    I think A and B both will put us under her spell so to speak. C risks angering Mehrune, but may also earn us Aphrodite's respect. Either way, I trust Sekhenun more than an unknown immortal who is obviously messing with our self-control. That said, I'd rather try to get out of this ourselves than jumping straight to her for help.

Flopped to A. B

^ Top  
  19. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Except that's not what the A choice is.
    "You agree to the request. Another immortal could aid you better than a Gieloth could."
    A effectively means to succumb to whatever control she's placing on us and breaking our deal with Sekhenun. This is totally out of character for Ean - he is a man of his word, and is always loyal to his allies. Yes, Sekhenun might help us escape later - but what if she wont? After all, she's already pissed at us, and now we abandon her and the deal we had for a first piece of immortal ass that we come across? And a pretty manipulative piece of ass might I add - the moment she sees us, she imminently uses her abilities on us?

In fact, I'm thinking of changing my vote to C - B might not be enough to shake off her influence. Does B also involve removing her hand from us (diplomatically, of course)? If yes, then I'm sticking with B. If not, then C.

As for angering Mehrune, so what? There will be other ships soon enough. The one we shouldn't anger is Sekhenun.

^ Top  
  20. Arpad Educated

Arpad
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    C is the right choice here, bros. Ean doesn't get fucked by bitches. Bitches get fucked by him.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Computer Gamer Refugee Learned

Computer Gamer Refugee
    Project: Eternity
    C

Frankly the Geiloth have been more honorable and honest (albeit evil) than our own ostensible kind.

Kinda burns some bridges now.

On an unrelated note, I like being given the choice back on the boat. I approve of making the sidequest not always be the best choice.

Seriously, would it have killed Skekrum to do something like shake her head slightly in a "No" if she really did not want us to go?

^ Top  
  23. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Yeah, what's up with that? And then she gets pissed at us for trying to guess what the fuck she wants?

^ Top  
  24. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    And we can't even say that they're doing this for the lulz, because we know nothing about their motivations. I'm pretty sure that their survival depends on them doing things like this. Their home world was probably destroyed by our Spiritual Lieges, and now they are looking for a new one.

^ Top  
  25. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    Actually, she thinks she did move her head that way, and in other ways that 'should've been obvious to you, you ape', but... too imperceptible, one might say. If you'd spent the past 85 years lugging her head around maybe you'd have been able to understand her facial expressions more easily?
    :troll:

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.