Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Lyric Suite's own Sekiro corner

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
After postponing this shit for years, getting cockblocked by my FromSoft backlog, getting burned out by the same, only to get back to it, i think it's finally time to get this shit over with. It's time folks.

So after that kick ass intro with bad ass Japanese shit and not understanding a single god damn thing that was said in it, i'm now roaming around the starting area like a clueless retard, and whelp, there's no rolling. What do?

BTW, decided to make a separate thread since some people here keep giving me shit for polluting the main threads with my plays. I guess this will be my let's play of this game, but don't expect any kind of systematic format. I'm too lazy for that shit. I've also been extremely busy this past year or so my progress won't be fast (in fact i gotta get back to work right after posting this so i'll actually start my game either tonight or tomorrow, heh).

Anyway, who are this bitches calling coward? Wait until i get my hands on a sword!

[EDIT] Ok, testing to see if linking is working correctly:

Whuzzat? Whuzzat? An important looking secret!

~ Contents ~

Prologue
01 - Prologue is away!

Ashina Outskirts I

02 - To a new beginning! ---> "Le funny zombie guy!"
03 - Real tutorial boss and first true death ---> "General Naomori Kawarada"
04a - Sekiro: The Dark Project (Part 1)
04b - Sekiro: The Dark Project (Part 2)

Hirata Estate I
05a - Dark Project II: The Metal Age (Part 1)
05b - Dark Project II: The Metal Age (Part 2)
06a - By This Axe I Rule! (Part 1) ---> "Le friendly zombie guy is best friend!"
06b - By This Axe I Rule! (Part 2) ---> "Shinobi Hunter Enshin of Misen"
07a - A Smouldering Detour ---> "Deja Vu already?"
07b - Into the Myst ---> "Interior Ministry Ninja" & "Fatso goes poof!"
07c - A Smouldering Finale ---> "Toshiro Mifune!" & "Juzou the Drunkard"
"Lady Butterfly" ---> 07d - An Epilogue of Betrayal

Ashina Outskirts II
08 - A Rotten Affair & A Skillfull Interlude
09 - Applied Skill ---> "Chained Ogre" & "General Tenzen Yamauchi"
10 - Snek....snek what you doing? SNEK STAHP!
11 - Oh Hi There Tree Sentinel ---> "Gyoubu Oniwa"
12 - Rat Diplomacy ---> "Pants on Fire"

Ashina Castle I
13 - Fight Fire with Fire ---> "Blazing Bull"
14 - Detour into Shinto Hell

Ashina Reservoir
15a - The Art of Autism (Part 1) ---> "Shikibu Toshikatsu Yamauchi [rectus]" & "Shikibu Toshikatsu Yamauchi [inversus]"
15b - The Art of Autism (Part 2) ---> "Lone Shadow Longswordsman [alio modo]"

Ashina Castle II
16 - Am I the Baddie? ---> "General Kuranosuke Matsumoto"
17 - Bullshido: The Soul of Failure ---> "Jinsuke Saze"
18 - Revenge is a Dish Best Served Rotten ---> "Headless"
19 - Revenge is a Dish Best Served Hot! ---> "Genichiro Ashina"
20 - Aftermath: Part 1 & Part 2
21a - Chapter 2: A New Beginning (Part 1)
21b - Chapter 2: A New Beginning (Part 2)
21c - Chapter 2: A New Beginning (Part 3)
22 - Leftovers & Random Post About Lore

Abandoned Dungeon
23 - Not Blighttown ---> "Shichimen Warrior"

Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo
24 - Whoa, They Know Kung Fu ---> "Shaolin vs Ninjutsu"
25 - Shaolin Hygenie
26 - Armored Core ---> "Armored Warrior"
27 - Wash Yo Penis ---> "Centipede Zombie"
28 - Endurance Test ---> "Long Arm Centipede Sen-Un"
29 - Reject Monke, Return to Humanity?
30 - Immortal Kombat ---> "Go Forth My Minion!"
31 - Can you fly, Bobby? :salute:

Sunken Valley

32 - Tengu Na Minchia Tanta ---> "Snake Eyes Shirahagi"
33 - Princess Mononoke & Spirited Away ---> "Long-arm Centipede Giraffe"

Sunken Valley Passage

34 - Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! :argh: ---> "Chimpocalypse" & "Guardian Ape"
35 - Naked Lunch ---> "Samurai Monke Dies Twice"

Ashina Depths & Hidden Forest
36a - Recycling Is Fun (Part 1): A Tragic Snek & Monke Epilogue ---> "Snake Eyes Shirahagi (Reprise)" & "Guardian Ape (Headless)"
36b - Recycling Is Fun (Part 2): Ghost Adventures ---> "Shichimen Warrior (Reprise)" & "Headless (Reprise)"
36c - Recycling Is Fun (Part 3): Ghost Busting ---> "Tokujiro the Glutton" & "wat...."

Mibu Village

37 - In Vino Veritas (Part 1) ---> "Vileblade Ninja"
38a - Come See the Violence Inherent in the System! (Part 1)
38b - Come See the Violence Inherent in the System! (Part 2)
39 - In Vino Veritas (Part 2) ---> "O'Rin of the Water" & "Corrupted Monk Illusion"
40 - Twenty Thousand Millimeters Under the Bog & Missed in Action "Headless (Ashina Castle)" & "Headless (Sunken Valley)"

Ashina Castle III
41a - Ninja Blade (Part 1) ---> "Chained Ogre (Ashina Castle)"
41b - Ninja Blade (Part 2) ---> "Lone Shadow Masanaga the Spear Bearer" & "Lone Shadow Vilehand"
42a - An Epilogue of Betrayal (Reprise): Land of Asura ---> "Lady Emma & Isshin Ashina"
42b - An Epilogue of Betrayal (Reprise): A Father's Dream (Part 1) ---> "Great Shinobi Owl"

Hirata Estate II
42c - An Epilogue of Betrayal (Reprise): A Father's Dream (Part 2):

"Lone Shadow Masanaga the Spear Bearer (Hirata Estate)"
"Juzou the Drunkard (Hirata Estate)"
"Owl (Father)"

Fountainhead Palace
43 - Solo Monk ---> "Corrupted Monk (True Monk)"
44a - Something Fishy Around Here (Part 1) ---> "Sakura Bull of the Palace"
44b - Something Fishy Around Here (Part 2): FIFA World Cup ---> "Shichimen Warrior (Fountainhead Palace)" & "Okami Leader Shizu (Lightning Reversal & Deathblow)"
44c - Something Fishy Around Here (Part 3): Ride the Lightning:

"Headless (Fountainhead Palace)"
"Tomoe's Riding"
"Divine Dragon"

Ashina Castle IV
45 - No End In Sight ---> "Ujinari Mizuo"

Ashina Outskirts III
46 - War, War Never Changes: Orangutan Finds Peace:

"Shigekichi of the Red Guard (For Ashina!)"
"Try Hard I Must"
"Demon of Hatred"

Finale: Ashina Castle & Ashina Reservoir
47 - A Threefold Finale:

"Shume Masaji Oniwa (Try Harder)"
"Isshin, The Sword Saint (#2)" <--- Final Pick
"Isshin, The Sword Saint (#1)"

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Are you really playing this in 1280x720? How old are your components?

Devs never get the subtitles right, even when the voice acting is in a foreign language. Those subs up there are too small if you're not sitting in front of a monitor. They should be big and not in Time New Roman or similar so that you can scan them very quickly and then look at the scene again. Team Ico got the size, font and bordering right with The Last Guardian.

The-Last-Guardian-20210507140349.jpg

Can't remember the text in Colossus and Ico. At least in Sekiro the subs are not almost touching the edge of the picture as in so many other video games. Last Guardian's could actually go up just a little bit.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm playing at 1440p, i just shrank my screenshot with photoshop because it was huge here and don't want this thread to look like a clusterfuck. Maybe i can shrink them using the forum? I'm an illiterate retard when it comes to this stuff somebody help out here.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm playing at 1440p, i just shrank my screenshot with photoshop because it was huge here and don't want this thread to look like a clusterfuck. Maybe i can shrink them using the forum? I'm an illiterate retard when it comes to this stuff somebody help out here.

Now I feel bad for spamming the Movie thread with 3840x2160 screenshots, including big black bars that I could crop before uploading. No wait, I don't.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, figured out how to shrink them with the forum (it's a manual shrink though, so it's going to be annoying to get them all to the same size). I can also put a link to the original image in the screen itself. Yet, what i'd like is the screen to show small at first view but expand when clicked on. How do i do that? I know it's possible.

Ravielsk

Magister
Anyway, who are this bitches calling coward? Wait until i get my hands on a sword!
Oh, I am afraid you will have a lot more of these "just you wait" moments. Sekiro is From's worst balanced games and does not get good until about the midway point when you finally get your full kit and the gameplay begins to make sense. Until that point is really just a poorly made Tenchu with Souls mechanics stapled on.

Sword is all you need for absolute majority of fights, really. And the most universally useful prosthetic, firecracker, you can get before the first boss if you don't miss the merchant.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So, before dinner decided to just roam around the starting area waiting for my steaks to cook, and what is this:

Interesting that the game is actually using real life references. Like the Homward Bone in this one is a Buddha statue. I'm pretty sure the Sengoku period is also taken from real life.

BTW, figured out you can actually resize images to an exact number (defaulting to 1280x720, original is at 1400p as i said), and i simply put the link to the original in the picture itself if anybody needs to see the full size one for any reason. Best i can do i think.

See you guys after dinner, let's get the ball rolling.

Last edited:

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
I was referring to the Starcraft 2 reveal trailer/teaser, when there was still hope/hype:

Still, have fun, and take your time.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
It really is one of From's best games.
Takes a while to realise that though.
At least it took me a while.
Not every game needs to have rpg systems...

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The level design, exploration and setting are all pretty cool
But if you're playing this mainly for the combat, then do yourself a favor and play Nioh or Ninja Gaiden instead

Ravielsk

Magister
Sword is all you need for absolute majority of fights, really. And the most universally useful prosthetic, firecracker, you can get before the first boss if you don't miss the merchant.
I am not talking about prosthetics but skills, HP and damage. Up until at least three damage upgrades Sekiro deals basically chip damage to everything that is not the lowest soldier and can barely take two hits. Posture damage is so weak that with some enemies it might feel like you are not dealing any at all(emphasis on feel).

Once you get over that hurdle and leveled through about half the scrolls the sculptor gives you the game starts to make sense stat wise but before that point? No, its just a tenchu game with levels not made for stealth and a Soulslike with a protagonist made for a stealth game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Alright, so it begins, prologue is away! ~

So this is the dude who called me a coward. Soon bro, we'll see who is the biggest bad ass:

A child hey? Seems like some shit i need to investigate:

So as i check my enviorments, i almost got spotted by that dude lmao, but i managed to elude him:

Ok, maybe not reveal important secrets while your captive is an hearshot away from you? What kind of guards are these:

Dropped down a ledge, thinking i would find a secret, but all i got was some nice scenery:

Anyway, lo, a child!

And fuck yeah, he bringeth gifts:

Except how was he allowed to keep it? I swear this place has the worst security possible.

Time to try my new toy on my first victim:

Where is that bastard at? Time for revenge bitch:

Lmao, a fitting end for le tutorial boss. Serves him right for calling me a coward:

Time to say goodbye to this place:

Ho come on now, these are the worst fucking guards:

Finally, after killing some wierd monkey thingy and some Daikatana green lizards or whatever the shit, i eventually emerge into a beautiful flower field:

And hell yeah, time to kick some motherfucking ass:

Or not lol:

Guess this brings the tutorial to its end. I assume it's not actually possible to beat this guy, but i wonder if you get some kind of response if you manage to last long enough. Or maybe he pulls that illegal jump no matter how well you can fend him off.

Anyway, next up i got greeted by some wierd guy who apparently gave me a mechanical arm or some shit but i'll leave that tale for next time.

Last edited:

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Reads like you might enjoy the game. :)

I am not talking about prosthetics but skills, HP and damage. Up until at least three damage upgrades Sekiro deals basically chip damage to everything that is not the lowest soldier and can barely take two hits. Posture damage is so weak that with some enemies it might feel like you are not dealing any at all(emphasis on feel).

The only skill you really need to rush to have a comfortable experience is the one that gives you heals on criticals. Mikiri counter is kinda required too but that is available very early. And the best combat art in my opinion is also the very first one you get. I don't agree with what you said about damage either, that shit only "feels" true when you still suck at the game. I remember doing some similar whining on my first run. After that it doesn't feel like bosses have too much HP even when with Demon Bell effect enabled. This game is probably the most fine-tuned out of any FS games that I've played.

Last edited:
I assume it's not actually possible to beat this guy, but i wonder if you get some kind of response if you manage to last long enough. Or maybe he pulls that illegal jump no matter how well you can fend him off.

It's possible but you are definitely not meant to do it on first run. And the cutscene changes only a little there, you still end up in same position anyway.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Reads like you might enjoy the game. :)

There was never much doubt. I didn't postpone playing it because i had any misgivings about it, it's just that every time i got the opportunity to play it something else got in the way, either another FromSoft game i wanted to finish first (namely the three Souls), or something like Elden Ring which i wanted to play on day one because of the multiplayer.

It also took me a while to buy it because i was waiting for its price to drop, which it never did so eventually i bit the bullet and called it a day.

BTW, i actually recorded a video of le tutorial boss but some annoying tutorial message popped in the middle of it so i didn't bother uploading it. Not that there was any point this guy was basically a regular goon, kinda like the Soldier of Godrick in Elden Ring.

Didn't record the fight at the end because i expected to see a cutscene, not to actually have to fight the guy. Should have figured lmao.

Jinn

Arcane
And the best combat art in my opinion is also the very first one you get. I don't agree with what you said about damage either, that shit only "feels" true when you still suck at the game.
Empowered Mortal Draw

would be my pick for most valuable combat art, but the one you mention would be a close second.

Machocruz

Arcane
Making me want to replay Sekiro. Such a supremely phenomenal game. There is really nothing like it.
Yes, which is why I think the constant comparisons to Dark Souls are superficial and misleading. Sure you have the estus proxy, resting at posts, and fairly complex level design (which FS were doing before Souls anyway), but the meat of the game, the combat model, is a whole different thing. And it's better for not just being Sengoku Souls. The art direction is chef's kiss, btw.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ To a new beginning! ~

Well shit, he had to rub it in, didn't he:

At least there's that:

Well, this ought to be no problem, given how shit security was in that place:

Ha shit, here we go now:

Knew it, so i'm a zombie then. What else is new:

Don't try to sugar coat it lady, i get it. Zombie:

So it appears this is the reason that Genichiro guy has stolen by ward. Time to pay that bitch a visit then. Onward!

And lo! My first opponent it seems, some scary zombie looking dude. No problem, i can handle him:

Ho shit, he's an actual zombie:

Erm, not sure how you can kill someone more or less thoroughly. I'm pretty sure dead is dead, but who am i to argue i guess:

This is neat though, it seems i have my own personal zombie now i can kill at my leasure.

So in essence, there's several mysteries going on here. The star child mentioned some fateful night my Sekiro appears to have no memory of. There's this Dragon's Blood ordeal this Genichiro dude is obviously interested in, and it seems i'm a part of it too. Ho, and the carver guy has mentioned another dude whom i presume is the author of the much better Buddha sculpture he told me not to mess with.

Guess i'm finally ready to begin my journey then, ahoy!

Still fumbling a bit with combat, mostly because some of the controls are different from Souls. Like, the parry (deflect whatever, same shit) button is on the top shoulder trigger instead of the lower one, and i keep reaching for that one by instinct so this is going to take some time getting used to. Also need to get a sense of when to use jump to get clear of attacks as opposed to just deflecting them. That lounge the zombie guy makes shows some attacks need to be jumped away from and can't be deflected by your sword, but i couldn't tell what he was about to do so i jumped clear of deflectable attacks a few times instead.

Eitherway, so far fighting feels very natural, smooth and not that hard to grasp, which i guess is a testament to FromSoft's usual mastery of combat systems. They always feel natural and easy to get into.

Visuals in this game are great btw. The rendering has that same hazy quality Elden Ring has, wonder if they share the same engine. Art direction is amazing as usual though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom