Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Lyric Suite's own Sekiro corner

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i wanted to pop it before Genichiro or after. I think i'm close but i'm not sure if missable quest changes happen after him so that it's better to pop it before (and hope you don't die to him too many times). I'll definitely train agianst him for a bit if i decide to pop it before i kill him, just to be sure. I actually made it past this guy earlier but i didn't get a chance to update my progress yet (i'll get down to it after dinner). I'll go ahead and post it now anyway. It's the stupidest fight i had yet lmao:

Andnjord

Arcane
It's the stupidest fight i had yet lmao:
He's a weird one. The first time I met him I just nuked him barely realising what had happened. Second playthrough my timing was somewhat off and he spanked my butt for half an hour.

Yeah yeah, it's a little white lie, the red eyed version was a problem, not a second playthrough, but don't tell him.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Bullshido: The Soul of Failure ~

Alright, now that the coast is clear, i decide to check out the area before entering the palace. I see one of those silly lizards from afar:

But apparently there's not even a goodie down there. Before returning to the roof, take a closer, just in case something useful is visible from this side (i assume i'll reach this area from the palace later):

Not seeing anything of interest, i finally enter the palace, where not only is there a Sculptor's Idol, but there's even a treasure chest with one of those Gourd Seeds inside:

After picking everything up and unlocking the check point, i see a samuari coming down, who looks exactly like the guy who helped me with the bandit boss in the Hirata Estate memory:

Before actually starting this area, i decide to take him on to see what he can do. He is actually pretty strong, with a perilous trust that took some time getting used to. I killed him several times in a row to make sure i understood how they work, and then it's time to move on. A little further, i come across a walkway with several patrols, two samurai and some old hag:

I kill one of the samurai with a stealth kill, and go see if i can talk to the old hag, but instead she screams and starts cowering in fear, and all hell breaks lose as the samurai in the next room go beserk and start breaking shit to get to me:

Since i'm not about to start killing old women, i decide to flee and reset the whole thing. Doing my best to avoid the granny this time, i try to get a full picture of what's up ahead:

Looks like a fucking nightmare. Out of a whim, i go back to town to get that extra healing potion, i may need it here. When i come back, i make a very pleasant discovery after killing the first patrol, those samurai drop Divine Confetti!

And they are not even that hard to farm since you can just take them out in stealth mode. The time to get my revenge on that butt blasting bastard is getting near!

So after managing to give the slip to the old granny, i find one of the patrols who decided to stop to look at the view. Bad call buddy:

I whip out those ceramic things, and see if i can split the two in the room, but i don't think it's gonna work. Best way is propably just to rush to the one sitting down, get a deathblow than deal with the other in open combat and hope to kill him without alerting the whole building:

It was a great plan except i miss a deflection on that perilous attack and get my ass handed to me lol:

Instead of resurrecting on the spot i decide to do it over. Honor demands it. On my return, i succeed. Fuck yeah:

This of course does alert the granny, who doesn't stop whimpering. I try to leave for a bit, hoping she'll stop, but it doesn't work. I got outside and i almost get raped by those nimble sorts again. On one of the rooms with the samurai i see i can rope my way up the ceiling. I try to go there but nothing, she keeps sobbering and the battle music is stuck on a loop, so i'm forced to take her out in the end. Watching Wolf take out an old granny with a brutal sword trust is just hilarious, so much i had to come back right now to take a shot because the first time i didn't get it right lol:

From the front is even more hilarious:

Talk about overkill dude.

Anyway, to return to the progress narrative. I now make it up the ceiling, where i see another problem:

I kill the first guard with a deathblow but once i get down there to kill the other guy two samurai get alerted and start making their way to my position, where i decide to just bolt out of there:

I decide to be a faggot, and wait for them to clear, then go for the guy that's left. I kill him, but the two guards show up and i have to leave again:

BTW, yes, i went to spend my sens just in case i got creamed here, heh. Wise decision it seems, since i decide to try to kill both of them at once, to dire results:

So i reset it and go at it again. Fuck it, i'm getting some Divine Confetti out of this so it's not an issue. I try to see if i can alert the guys from the window, but apparently the guy is blind as he never turns red, just stands there like an idiot with a confused expression in his face:

His name must be Major Asshole or something. Now i'm at a loss of what to do. I go kill the two samurai in the room next to this one again, where i get into a little reprieve, once i start to look more closely at an interesting looking wall:

Not fooling me twice now game, fuck you:

Ho my, what do we have here:

Ho yeah, loot baby:

Lmao, nice try hiding another nugget behind those partitions:

Alright, now it's time to try to clear that damn room. Same tactic, i kill Major Asshole with a deathblow, then bolt out. As soon as they calm down, i throw one of those ceramic things at the blue guy, and make an attempt at another deathblow, which actually fails, but i manage to kill the guy in what must have been a world record:

Behind me, another granny starts screaming. I take her out without a fuss this time (which is where i see the face stab but didn't think of taking a shot then as i didn't think was going to be that hilarious) and rush to the door. As expected, the two samurai start making it inside the room, but a little later than expected. I think they must have been on patrol. I got time to open the door at the very last second and bolt out of there once again, this time from the front:

I run as fast as i can all the way around and manage to surprise one of them from the ceiling which i kill with yet another stealth deathblow:

And then dispatch the other one in open combat:

Hail to the king baby:

Before making my way up, i get the brilliant idea of checking out a shaft in the middle of the main staircase:

Since fortune favours the bold, i take the plunge, and succeed in exterminating the whole room:

On one side, i find two openings, both of which lead to that pond i spotted earlier and beyond:

Beautiful armors, this whole place makes me wish somebody did an Ancient Japan version of Kingdom Come: Deliverance:

Loot is nice, i find a Prosthetic Tool and some shit for a status effect i haven't encountered yet:

So now it's time to go back up, but to my dismay, there's no actual way. The path is blocked and i'm forced to port back to the last Sculptor's Idol. Fuck me lmao. Of course, with the door open is now much easier to go through that room and i finally make it to another Remnant memory:

It appears Lady Emma is explaining to the Divine Heir his powers of resurrection:

From the way this whole conversation is going, it's clear the kid had no idea about the Dragon blood and his effects, and that Lady Emma herself, or perhaps the teachers she often speaks about, may have been involved in the creation of this Rejuvening Waters, and at the very least she must have been involved in telling Genchiro about this as i doubt that he, as a warrior, would have had any knowledge of it:

This is one smart kid though, as this kind of power has nothing holy about it for sure:

I make my way up, where to my dismay i see there's a Sculptor's Idol. Damn it if only i had come here first i'd saved myself another run at those samurai guys.

At last, i reach the top, where i find myself face to face with a full fledged samurai master:

Can a mere shinobi overcome this challenge?

So this guy spends every waking moment of his life studying the blade, likely since he was a baby, only to die in two seconds at the hands of a filthy shinobi, hahaha.

On the outside window i spotted more of those smokey things which means more nimble sorts so i decided to stop here.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Revenge is a Dish Best Served Rotten ~

So, after killing the samurai, i find this message near a wall:

Game is really laying it thick on how to get past those attacks. Haven't encountered any heels though.

Anyway, before going forward and tackling those feathered nimble bastards after the silly samurai, i decide to check back home to see if that cowardly peddler is actually there, and of course, he is:

You bet i'm interested bro.

Yeah well, the last time the info you gave me was sort of useless my man.

I'm pretty sure he is trying to say he is taking from the living, which might explain why he was running away from the guards in the first place.

Apparently, according to him the Interior Ministers infiltrated the Ashina Castle all though i haven't met any yet while i was in there, perhaps i'll meet some as i continue on:

Anyway, i look at his wares, and holy crap:

He sells unlimited quantities of Pacifying Agent. Ok that fucking does it. I can farm Confetti and i can use the sen i get to buy Pacifying Agents can't get any more perfect than this, time for fucking revenge.

I make my way back to the hellish cave, and i start practicing on the guy without using the Confetti yet. Need to get the timings right before i start using them. While i'm doing that, i manage to get this shot of the grab attack:

He literally makes that motion like he wants to grab your balls lmao this thing is beyond terrifying. After many, many tries, and many, many deaths, i finally begin to get the hang of his incredibly wayward attack patterns. Feeling confident, i then decide to finally take him on by popping the Confetti. The bastard must pay!

Not as clean a fight as i wanted. I miss some parries but the fact you have to use limited consumables means it is better i take the victory and call it a day. This thing was definitely an handful. I opted not to ring the bell because i want this playthrough to be in "sync" with most people. I'll leave the hard mode for NG+.

Aftter his death, he drops this which seems to be a major item:

So it's basically unlimited candy. You use Spirit Emblems of which i got a trillion anyway and in return you get a buff to health and damage. Seems almost broken to be honest.

I now make my way forward. Around some shrines, i spot a passage:

Following a tunnel eventually i emerge into a wide space, with a door that looks like the one in the Dilapidated Temple (which i almost forgotten about and still unsure what it does):

Opening this door and i eventually find myself in some kind of temple. Right away i spot another enemy:

Like, the fuck, already? Turns out he is pretty easy to kill though:

Now that he is dead, i take a good look at this temple:

Turning left, i now find myself in some unfamiliar place:

So this is the famous demon bell that turns on hard mode in this game:

I don't think i'll be using it in this playthrough.

It is now time to face the consequences:

Ho boy.

Ho my, i'm so sorry everybody:

From what she says here i'm 100% sure her quest is "stuck" here until i cure her:

And finally, he got it too lmao:

If the time to use one of those droplets isn't soon i don't know what to say.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Stop being such a procrastinating, side-quest seeking, thorough exploring pussy and you’ll get your chance to use the damn droplet properly.
:deadhorse:

But please don’t stop, the aimless bumbling is part of the charm of watching someone play this for the first time.
:love:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stop being such a procrastinating, side-quest seeking, thorough exploring pussy and you’ll get your chance to use the damn droplet properly.
:deadhorse:

But please don’t stop, the aimless bumbling is part of the charm of watching someone play this for the first time.
:love:
I'm fairly sure I did literally everything it was possible to do before fighting Genichiro. Maybe I need to get a bit further to understand what you're talking about, but I've given everyone rot five times over and I pop those tears at the bonfires like candy. No ragrets :smug:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i killed Genichiro this morning lmao, but i took a few hits so tonight i'm going to try again to see if i can make it cleaner (if not, i'll upload what i have). I got a ton of screenshots to sort out and that shit we'll have to wait until after dinner. Just got off work and i don't feel like doing shit right now.

BTW, i can see why Andnjord was getting so frustrated. I was RIGHT there. I had no fucking idea lmao i thought there was going to be a whole other section with those Nightjar guys which is why i went off to kill Headless and even went to farm back some of those Confetti after just because i wanted to wait a second before progressing further.

Turns out Genichiro was like two steps right after the samuari dude. Imagine my shock when i jump up there and the cinematic started.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i killed Genichiro this morning lmao
How did you like the fight? Most people don't list it in their Top 5 or whatever but I really like Genichiro, always looking fwd to fight him whenever I replay the game. Unlike some other bosses :mixedemotions:

It was pretty good. First two phases were pretty fun and there's nothing in it i would consider unfair or frustrating (the AI was a bit too obstinate in wanting to do that jump arrow attack though). Third phase was a bit more wayward. I actually haven't figured out how to block that lighting attack i just dodged it. That's another reason i wanna redo it i want to actually try to do that lighting reversal thing.

[EDIT] Lmao, fuck dinner, i got it done check post below.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Revenge is a Dish Best Served Hot! ~

As i just mentioned, i had no idea Genichiro was right around the corner! Double whammy of revenge for both Headless and this bastard! Fighting those guys literally cost me an arm and an asshole and those insults will not go unpunished!

After making my way through the window from where i left off, i hear the special reed Kuro has been using to call me, and it's really close this time!

After leaping on a dragon head (symbolism folks!), i'm now faced with the enemy after a long, long journey:

The presence of Lady Emma surprises me (honestly how is this bitch both here in the Ashina Castle and the Dilapidated Temple at the same time? Can she just teleport around or something?), which stops me in my tracks for a few brief moments, enough to overhear something about Genichiro's grandfather:

Genichiro than asks the Divine Heir to give him his power for one last time, but Kuro once more refuses:

He then demostrates the kind of faith he has in me!

I cannot fail the Divine Heir, not now! Springing into action, i now confront Genichiro!

Look at that fucking jaw any other Japanese company would have made Wolf into some faggy looking animu bitch but not FromSoft, the only Japanese gaming studio with testosterone running through their veins!

Fuck yeah check out this confidence. Shit is definitely on now!

Alright, it is done. Couldn't do that lighting reversal move sadly. Tried a few times but i couldn't get the timing right so whatever, i kicked his ass anyway and that's what matters. I liked this guy all in all. First two phases are pretty good. Not super hard with only a few things you need to look out for. Only thing i didn't like is how the AI was so determined in doing that jump attack with the bow. In the video i smack him three times in a row just because the AI HAD to do that move.

Last phase was obviously meant to throw you off and succeed at first but eventually i found my way around it. The lighting thing is a bit underwhelming. It's not hard to avoid even if you don't do that lighting reversal counter attack and the rest of his moveset is the same as before with only a few wayward twits here and there.

It annoys me i couldn't do a no-hit run (i was so damn close) because of that smack he gave at the start, but first of all, i ended the fight at full health because of that skill the heals you with deathblows, so fuck him lmao, and i also cleverly included that in the narrative which you can read below. Creative way to cover for a fuck up, innit?

After an initial bout, he manages to land a glancing blow, but that is all i'm going to allow for the rest of this fight. I'm not the same shinobi that has previously tasted defeat at his hands! Yielding to my relentless attacks, he asks me to betray my iron code by joining him instead:

Even the very idea offends Wolf!

He then decides to reveal the full extend of his heresy, and the depraved depths he has chosen to descend to:

I feel no fear as i face this abomination, no esitation, and despite his deviated powers, i succeed in ending this once and for all!

The battle is won, and as i turn around i see Lady Emma coming near. Is she an enemy too?

(ye ye i played enough FromSoft games to guess she'll eventually spring wings or some shit and beat the crap out of me with 50 different types of endless combos)

But wait! The battle may not be over yet! (i'll admit the first time i started to panic a little bit lmao):

(Ok, maybe it was a little more than panic)

(more like i was starting to totally freak out. A fourth phase? And this guy isn't even supposed to be the hardest boss in the game! Fuck me)

(Wolf plays it cool, but in real life i'm totally shitting my pants):

(but in the end, after his "it was me, Dio" moment, the bitch just packs up and leaves lmao):

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Damn good job on Genichiro, that was a lot cleaner than on my current playthrough (albeit I killed him only on the second try in what I was still considering to be my warm up tries) let alone my first one. As for the lightning reversal, the timing for the jump is similar to the other perilous attacks, it looked like you were being too scared of it and mashing the jump button as soon as saw you it. Once you get used to it it sort of becomes a “You fell into my trap! » I-win button anime moment.

I wasn’t so much frustrated as rather I was hoping that the earliest you faced him, the tougher the challenge would be (never say that codexers don’t have each other’s backs). It’s nuts how early a new player can potentially face him by accident, both in terms of power ups as well as experience with the game, I’m sure many newbies suffered cruelly as a result. :incline:

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i'm a completist autist i rarely just make a beeline for the main stuff i'm constantly exploring and doing everything i possible can in an area before moving on.

I DID opt not to use that buff thing i got from Headless because it feels like something i shouldn't have gotten this early. It's basically a free buff to damage and vitality and it only conumes those Emblems which i got a trillion of as i said i figured if i had used that it would have been a cheat. Damn tempting though to use it on the third phase just because of the aesthetics of it. He powers up, so do i, heh.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Aftermath (Part 1) ~

I think right now it is time for a bit of rest and relaxation. First off, before talking to Emma, before doing anything, i reach for the Sculptor's Idol and set out to undo all the suffering i've inflicted on the world:

It actually feels like it has some weight that i did it only now for the first time. Definitely feels like a fresh start after so much toil and suffering, let's see how long it takes for this desease to spread again.

So Genichiro was adopted. Guess it makes sense if Isshin is something like a daimyo (and the Interior Ministry would be like a central goverment):

Might explain his sense of loyalty for the Ashina clan, and his willingness to go to every extreme to save it.

This thing seems actually kinda cool, i think i have a good spot to try it, that room with those two samurai, the one sitting with his back towards me. I wanna see if this is actually capable of distracting the other one:

I'm now ready to talk to Emma, who reveals she has been working for Isshin-sama:

Lord Isshin appears to be a good man:

Isshin's illness must be grave indeed if he had to rely on a mere shinobi. Has he no authority in his own clan anymore? Did Genchiro effectively rule the Ashina? I suppose the promise of victory steered most of the clan towards Genchiro's direction.

Everything was set in motion but Isshin then. Kuro's escape, and my own participation. After this revelaiton, it is now time for me to be finally reunited with my ward:

Erm, why is there another one down here if there's one upstairs lmao:

After finally rescuing my ward, it is now time to leave:

Kuro, however, believes leaving now will only aggravate the issue, since if he used his power to save me, he might be compelled to do again, resulting in even more suffering:

He then tells me his wish is to sever the chains of stagnation, to end the Dragon's Heritage:

He then asks me if i want to help him with this cause:

I chose to help Kuro, as i know first hand the horrors of the Dragonrot, but it seems Wolf has other priorities, as apparently helping Kuro with this breaks his oath to prodect the Divine Heir?

So i'm basically forced to chose again and i can only pick the second option:

This has to be the most useless choice i've ever seen in a FromSoft game. Why even bother putting it there if i can only pick one option anyway. Kuro tries to convince me by pointing out the horror of my own situation:

Yeah it was a little more than two or three times. Just a tad more lol.

Come on Wolf, you've seen the Dragonrot. You've met Hanbei:

Kuro then asks the question again:

To which Wolf agrees:

Wait, what happened to the oath shit then. I know the kid made a compelling argument, but damn, that was quick.

He then shows me this:

Not sure i understood any of that. Wolf seems he didn't get it either. The tone of his voice when he says this sounds has "the fuck did i just read" vibes:

Okay but how:

And what's that stuff about the divine realm:

He then bids me to look at an incence burner. Still trying to grasp where this is going exactly, i make my way there, where Kuro explains its meaning:

Wolf asks what happened to him, to which Kuro reveals what may be the key to understand what this is about:

Wolf, for a change, actually asks a smart question:

So this is where this is going. The kid is going to ascend to the divine realm, thus severing the Dragon's Heritage in this world. So now the quest begins:

Making two in a row, Wolf asks another good question and makes it a suggestion:

I suppose even if Kuro reaches the divine realm, those who have been rendered undying still need to have their mortality returned to them. For some reason, Kuro thinks Isshin will know something about this. No matter. Kuro explains the situation with Lord Isshin:

Of course, apparently to reach Lord Isshin, i have to go through those Nightjar ninjas again. Not coming as a surprise, given all the smoke signals outside.

Ok, will do.

But i just came from the roof. Ho whatever. I got talk to Emma, who must have been listening and she tells me about Isshin too. Before setting out, i decide to check out this strange door with those unfamiliar markings on the floor:

I go through it, and end up in the Dilapidated Temple:

Well i guess that solves the mystery of how Emma managed to be both here and at the Ashina Castle at the same time!

But what are those things i see hanging from the temple? I suppose before i talk to Isshin, i better see what's going on with the world at large, check if the people have been cured and see how the Sculptor is faring.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Aftermath (Part 2) ~
Alright, i got about a trillion of screenshots i want to get through before i resume my traversal of this game, so let's get down to it. I got a lot of lore thrown in my face and i wanna take a little pause to see how much of it i actually understood so far, so for that i also took the time to reread item descriptions, at least of the ones i got so far. Let's get this shit done.

Ho, yes, btw, i did find the little nugget around Kuro 'cause as i said i'm an autist who leaves no stone unturned lul:

So, let's begin. I now find myself in front of the Dilapidated Temple, and i see it's now covered with little notes:

I asume those are ofuda, those shinto charms indended to ward off evil or whatever. I don't know if Emma did this or the Sculptor himself did it, to ward off whatever bad karma he is dealing with. I assume she did as i think the Sculptor isn't meant to ever leave the temple.

Not sure what happened here. There's stones behind the temple as well, which were there from the beginning. This whole temple is made of wood, and the idols the Sculptor is carving are also made of wood so why are there even stones here? Did some artist at FromSoft just figured this place needed stones for some reason? Kinda wierd.

Anyway, inside, i noticed something i missed before. There's blood stains in the shrine the Sculptor's is using to make his offerings:

No matter, see the man is now not wheezing anymore, which comes as a relief:

I assume this is the response i should have gotten after returning from the Hirata Estate. I get a feeling i should have used at least one droplet as soon as Emma gave me the pouch thingy. I'm glad i didn't miss out on anything though:

That's one hell of a condensation of what happened to me at the Hirata Estate.

I think he means to say he won't probe further, and that netiher should i. Awkard localization as usual. Of course Wolf doesn't give a shit and asks anyway:

He gets annoyed i asked right after he told me not to, but hey, i gave you something, you gotta give something back dude:

He won't say more, but upon returning to the menu, i see i can actually get him drunk to reveal more:

Before doing that, i decide to see if he has anything else to say:

The cycle repeats and all that. Will it go full circle to the point i'll end up like him?

I think i got you covered fam. I got some sake i looted from that drunktard bandit boss if i remember, better than tea i should think:

Old devil wastes no time accepting the offer:

Seems he is enjoying it, and it is already opening up old memories:

I believe he means his arm, so i ask about him, and he has this to say:

I think i have a feeling where this is going. So i ask him, the answer coming as no surprise at this point:

So he lost his arm to Lord Isshin, while i lost mine to his grandson. Definitely fate is involved in this cycle. I ask him what happened, apparently Isshin did it to help him:

Consumed by what? What could possibly warrant such a drastic measure?

Before leaving, there's an exchange i cannot make any sense of. Wolf thanks the Sculptor for "saving" the Divine Hier, but i'm not sure what this is actually referring to. I'm guessing another translation issue. I had to google this and it seems nobody knows either. People say Wolf is just thanking the Sculptor for the help he offered so far, which was instrumental in aiding Wolf in rescuing the Divine Heir. Considering this is mentioned in passing i'm going to agree with this intepretation.

He says one more line that may be of interest. At first i ignored it but later on Emma tells me the same thing i think it might be important:

In fact, now that i think of it, this might be related to what he just said about the Shura's "shadow". I'm pretty sure what the game is actually talking about is an Asura, but i think Shura is also correct. Seems clear from the context though that this is what he is talking about. I think i'm starting to piece this out the Sculptor was possessed by a demon of war, under which he must have committed untold acts of violence, for which he is attempting to atone. Isshin must have faced him in combat in this state and had to cut his arm to drive the demon away from his mind and return his sanity to him.

In case you are wondering about my amazing deductive powers, this is literally what happens in First of the North Star, specifically in the Land of Asura arc. Hell, Shura is how Asura was rendered in the Italian localization of the manga, which as a kid i read like a religion lmao.

Anyway, before setting out to finally meet Lord Isshin, i wanna make a round to see how the other characters are doing now that i cured the Dragonrot. This guy seems like he is doing fine:

Hey there Hanpei, how's it hanging buddy. Box empty as usual, right?

I then go check out my friend the polite looter, who appears to be his springly old self again:

BTW, i forgot all about this:

I'm almost done with the Ashina Castle and i haven't found anything yet, wonder if i missed a step here.

I'll worry about that later. This guy seems ok, as far as someone who hangs around dead bodies can be said to look fine:

Jesus, they are still here? You'd think somebody would clean up after this place at least once in a while:

I go check out the other merchants who appear to be doing equally "well", so to speak. I go look for the guy who was enthralled by that music and it appears he is gone now. I'm assuming he went into the well. Never got to see him sick, but i guess that's for the best. I then remember the old lady by the Ashina Castle, and apparently a new phase in her quest has just been unlocked:

Wait, is she talking about Kuro? What's this about:

Is there another Divine Child besides Kuro? She then points me to the directon of the Senpou Temple, which i suppose might just be my next destination:

Seems there's nothing left to do but meet Isshin now. But since i gotta go through those Nightjar guys, i decided to grind those blue samurai guys a bit more until i get my next skill point, just in case. I also wanted to check out that ninjutsu skill, and by God:

That's some brutal shit. I guess taking out multiple groups of enemies is going to be a breeze from now on.

While farming those guys, i then discover they now also drop Prosthetic Tools upgrade materials:

(i had a bunch of shots of those scraps of iron dropping but i had to put the one with the granny lmao)

I got a bunch now so i go ahead and purchase a few more tool upgrades:

The spear one in particular is bound to be useful against those bird ninjas.

Alright, everything having been set in order, it is now finally time to start the next chapter in this run and meet this Isshin once and for all!

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Chapter 2: A New Beginning (Part 1) ~
Alright, time to talk Isshin then. First off, i start to get my bearings and see how am i going to deal with those Nightjar people. Speaking of which, what's with those kites. I thought ninjas liked to stay hidden between those and the smoke signs those guys just like to shout to the world that they are there:

Or perhaps that's exactly the point.

Mmmh, who dat, another miniboss? Later i guess:

Wait a minute, is that him? Can't be:

I find an hidden nugget around this tower, but, that's definitely him, isn't it:

So what happened to all that Nightjar shit. I scout around to see what else is out here before talking to the guy. Lot's of nuggets down there:

Wow, i was really expecting another hellish roof session with those bird dudes, i guess he was just around the corner:

Yeah those are the ones i already went through:

Nice view of the Jokamachi from here though.

Another of those priest guys. Easy peasy when i get there:

So this was it then. Why did the game led me to believe i had to go through those bird people when Isshin was right there. Fine, let's go talk to the old codger. I approach Lord Isshin, and i do my best to be formal, given i'm talking to the ruler of this whole land:

Turns out the guy has no time for that formality shit. He goes "huh?" like he is hard of hearing or something and i'm like, here we go, this guy has gone senile for good then he hands me sake and gives me no choice but to take it:

Wolf and i have the exact same reaction:

I like this guy already lmao. Turns out he is not senile after all and knows all about recent events:

I say i was only following my oath and the code taught to me by my father, but he knows all about that too:

Of course, since it is my sworn duty to protect the Divine Heir, it stands to reason he would know everything about it and likely my father was working for him. Of course, he also knows a few more things about me than i would have imagined:

I guess Tengu has already reported to him. The old geezer appears to be more than capable for someone who is apparently too ill to rule. It is now time to deal with the reason i came here:

He speaks of an artifact called the "Mortal Blade":

I see, so with this we could end the curse brought by the Dragon's Heri...

Ho he is talking about zombies. Ok, not exactly what i had in mind but i suppose if the thing can be used for them it could also be used on those who cannot die because of the Dragon's blood. In fact, the two may be related in the first place. BTW, i love how every time Wolf talks to somebody, he always has a response like this:

It's his "ha shit here we go again" response and he does it with every NPC he talks to since they are all clearly bat shit crazy lmao. Anyway, where do i find this thing:

I have no idea what that means, and neither does he apparently, to which Wolf again grumbles silently to himself lol. Apparently, the place is also not so easy to reach:

Luckily, it just so happens some crazy old lady pointed the way to me earlier. Before leaving, i see i have the option to give him sake. I try it, thinking he is going to refuse since he just gave me the sake in question himself, but apparently the dude has no qualms taking it off my hands lol:

This guy cracks me up he just doesn't give a shit. I don't even know how he had sake with him given it's probably not good for his health. I guess when you conquered a whole country you can do whatever you want when you are old.

You would know, it's your shit. Eitherway, the sake opens up an interesting conversation:

To be respectful, i tell him he was a forminable foe, even though in reality i dominated the whole fight:

And since i'm at it, i ask him about that strange technique of his:

He explains its origins, but now i wish i didn't ask:

Here we go:

Ye ye i get it. Malenia. I'm going to call it right now that Lady Emma is related to this Tomoe and she will unleash 300 combos on my ass at some point later in the game. I know FromSoft too well to expect anything less.

Before i leave, he gives me those words of advice:

Wolf appears to be on the same wavelength:

Which pleases the old geezer:

I like this old man. He is as a warrior should be, not like his bitch of a grandson. BTW, this seems familiar, heh:

I check downstairs, and there's them Nightjar bitches:

But i think for now i better make my way back to Kuro. I get back and of course the bitch isn't there:

I'm sure she just moved downstairs or went back to the Dilapidated Temple. All this talk about dancing blades and all that shit makes queasy and before moving on i decided to pick this up. I got a lot of saved skill points and i need to use them on something:

Not sure if pointless or not but there's a lot of sword wielding bosses and they appear to be among the more dangerous ones so it's bound to get some use. This opens up the last skill but for now i'll leave it at that. Alright, time to report back to Kuro!

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
I've forgotten how atmospheric the environments are. Appreciate them a lot more now when I'm seeing the game from the outside, without playing it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Chapter 2: A New Beginning (Part 2) ~

Erm, did Kuro catch the rot now?

There she is, but where's the kid:

Ho i see, he is searching through the old tomes like he said:

Erm, i can literally see you there:

Time to talk to Lady Emma (i'm checking to see if i can see some hidden sword under her kimono but she gave me a stern look like i was checking out something else. I swerar, i was just looking for a sword! Erm, no, i don't mean the "other" sword damn it. :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:)

Let's leave out the whole part where i got him drunk lol:

Didn't you just say it was Waters. Ho, it gets even more complicated:

But that's what the Rejuvenating Waters do too. Ha whatever, i guess the Sediment is a more potent version of the same thing. Moving on:

So how...

.........., more crazy people to deal with. She then asks me about my conversation with Lord Kuro:

I then thank her for all she did for me, and she tells me that even though her duties were fullfilled, she'll remain here to further offer me aid whenever i need:

Before leaving, she also says the same thing the Sculptor told me. My eyes are no longer as hard as they used to be:

I guess there's still hope for me yet that i won't fall pray to an Asura, right? Or am i jumping the gun here?

Will do, but since this is a FromSoft game, i'm sure she'll have something more to say if i talk to her again, which she does:

She hands me a bottle of sake, different from the "unrefined" kind Isshin makes in his own basement when Emma isn't looking, and tells me this is his favored "tea". Ah, the old devil, so that's what he wanted. For some reason, i'm now given the option to give the sake she just handed to me to her, but while this date rape attempt is tempting, i'm pretty sure this is meant for the Sculptor and i don't want to mess it up by giving it to her. What if she takes it back like Isshin did, heh.

Time to go talk to the kid, but first, what's this again?

Mmmmh, maybe this means something. Next to Kuro, i find this, which opens up an interesting bit of lore about the "other" location in the game, the Sunken Valley:

I now approach Kuro, where i report what Isshin told me, about the Mortal Blade, and how it could be the key to severing immortality, and thus kill the undying. Kuro, meanwhile, has uncovered some useful information of his own:

Wolf asks what this might be, and Kuro simply says this:

Before inquiring further, Wolf appears to have remembered something, something he had in his possession for a while (which i totally forgotten existed lel):

It appears Kuro recognizes what it is:

Wolf asks if this is something that may have been left behind by Lord Takeru. Kuro seems to believe as such, but then he suggests this droplet could be useful to me somehow:

For the time being, i refuse (mostly because i want to see this thing in my inventory before it gets removed):

He seems to understand, but the offer remains open nontheless:

Now, reguarding that flower he mentioned earlier, he suggest i read the following first, something left being by Lord Takeru:

Up to now i was just taking in all this exposition without understanding much of it, but i think something in the back of my head was hatching at this point, mostly because of Tomoe and soemthing that was said earlier about Genichiro:

Wolf finally provides the last piece of the puzzle (for me anyway):

I'm actually starting to get it i think lol. So there's something about the Ashina water that has a sacred power. I'm not sure if the water had this power originally or it came about because some divine presence came in contact with it (vaguely remember reading in item descriptions things that could go either way). The origin of this water is the Fountainhead, from which all the power of the Dragon's Heritage stems from. This water then collects down a deep valley (Sunken Valley mentioned in the key i found next to Kuro obviously), where apparently it was then used by a clan of women warriors (Okami clan, some kind of amazons tribe or whatever), this Tomoe clearly being one of them. Of course, if the water pooled in this place, it then ceased to flow, and i can only imagine it is here that the Rejuvenating Sediment is found. It makes perfect sense. Genichiro would have easy access to something like that if Tomoe was his tutor.

Bear with me since this is the first time i actually managed to understand anything in a FromSoft game lmao. So yes, this Lotus Flower is found where the Rejuvenating Water from the Fountainhead pools into a Sediment in the the floor of this Sunken Valley:

He then explains how to reach this Sunken Valley, where a next vital piece of information is given (which invalidates another theory i was having but hey, i was close):

A fucking White Serpent! I was thinking a dragon because of Dark Souls and the association between dragons and lighting, but i guess it's that snake that almost got me earlier? I mean, a white serpent could still be a dragon but that would be a massive red herring to have a literal white serpent you actually get to meet. Also, all the items related to this Sunken Valley havw to do with poison or shit like that so it has to be a snake. That means this Okami clan is worshipping a snake and not a dragon, hence why their ways are "heretical". I guess in this universe lighting power comes from snakes and not dragons (unless i'm missing something or i am totally wrong here).

So the Fountainhead people are the Dragon's Heritage people. The Okami clan of Malenia warriors are the snake people, where the sacred Waters flowing from the Fountainhead pool and stand still. And that's where the flower needed to make his divine aroma or whatever is found. Both of those things appear to be Shinto related, which means Buddhism in this game has less to do with magic or mystical stuff and is all focused on being grimdark and death oriented (everything Buddhism is not but hey, it's a FromSoft game, so grimdark comes with the territory).

So in essence, i'm given two paths to chose, Senpou Temple in Mt. Kongo, which is Buddhist related and has to do with death and resurrection and all that stuff, or the Sunken Valley, where a kamuy in the form of a snake is worshipped (and i'm pretty sure i'll have to fight the thing lmao), which is where the magic flower and the magical lighting power is found (plus poison, but also gunpower etc, still unclear what the connection with the latter is here).

Kuro tells me to get to the Sunken Valley i need to use my ninja skills but what else is new. Ok, this isn't too compli...

Ho what NOW. I know this is a pivotal moment in the game's plot but there's too much lore being dumped into my brain and i can't soak all of it:

Yes, i did can we move on:

Kuro pretty much had the same experience as mine:

They both stand in silence while they are mulliing this over to my eternal annoyance at this uncessery exposition bloat when Wolf apparently remembers something:

Kuro asks me if he smelled it before:

Now it's Kuro's turn to remember something:

Great, now i gotta go talk to Emma about this, which i'm sure will reveal another metric tone of lore. I guess i'll have to make a part 3 sorry about this lore crap but i gotta get it done.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
All right LS enough waffling around with talking and shit, let's get cracking skulls again.

Heh, sorry, but it's part of the let's play, so i gotta do it.

Not my fault the game decided to just dump its entire plot on me all at once. I'm almost done though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Chapter 2: A New Beginning (Part 3) ~

Alright, third and last installement of this unending plot interlude. First off, let's take care of that Sakura Droplet stuff:

Now i have no idea what this immortal oath is or what it entailed, but it seems "breaking" it leads to the power of resurrection and the "vows" of the undying. None of that makes any sense to me. I'm just going to assume this power of resurrection the Dragon's Heritage offers is not something that was originally sanctioned and only came about after breaking this original oath, but i could totally be off the track here. We'll see later on.

Anyway, let's do this, even though technically it seems it goes against everything we are trying to do in the first place (can you say plot hole?):

Very well, let's do this.

Done, now...

So apparently this really involves doing what Kuro did twice over, this time using Takeru's blood instead.

So now i can resurrect even more. And it's a "boon" now, is it? Not a curse anymore?

Ho well, let's go talk to Emma and see what's this sakura tree crap is all about shall we? I ask her about this thing that supposedly is behind the castle, and apparently this game has its own version of the Erdtree now:

Wolf says something i didn't even think about:

So the people of the Divine Heritage are celestial in origin? Did they take human form? Are they a result of a mix between a celestial entity and a human receptacle? Maybe the game will reveal this later on for now let's see what this Erdtree is all about:

Cool, maybe i can go see that after this:

Oh...

Fascinating. I got an idea about who did this and where this "branch" ended up, but let's see what Kuro has to say first after i reveal to him what she told me:

Kuro, apparently, doesn't seem to see the obvious:

Who indeed?

It seems the game just decided it doesn't want to reveal anything more about the plot and has left this obvious clue hanging in the air. Because as i recall, there was a burner in the altar behind us with something in it that smelled like "sawdust" and "sakura flowers". You know, almost as if a certain branch was used in it? What if Lord Takeru stole the branch because it was a needed component for the aroma? No?

Ho well, finally, FINALLY i'm done with all this plot exposition. But since this third part came out a little short compared to the rest, i'm going get a final piece of lore exposition so i can just focus on fighting on my next update:

Of course, he seems quite happy about it:

He wants to play coy now, but he is not fooling anybody:

Right, let's see what the booze brings out now:

Indeed?

He chuckles to himself for a brief moment, then continues:

That's quite a touching story. I hope his karmic debt will be forgiven and he is allowed to reach Enlightenment.

I now make may way back to the Castle just to make absolutely sure all the exposition is actually out of the way. I talk to Emma but she has nothing new say. I see what Kuro is doing and... he is not there?

Ho God please don't tell me...

I gasp in horror when i see him next to the burner, but apparently he actually had nothing new to say, he just changed position:

I think i'm finally done with all the plot shit! Damn that was a massive info dump.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
One the one hand it is the perfect moment for a break from all the combat and slaughter, especially as Genishiro is a serious challenge for normal players, on the other it definitely is way too much exposition at once.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It was really massive took me a total of five progress updates to cover all of it. I wanted to draw a summary of what i understood so far in the last entry but i really don't feel like it now. Plus there's still a lot that doesn't make any sense so i might as well wait until i get more info before starting drawing erronous conclusions.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It was really massive took me a total of five progress updates to cover all of it. I wanted to draw a summary of what i understood so far in the last entry but i really don't feel like it now. Plus there's still a lot that doesn't make any sense so i might as well wait until i get more info before starting drawing erronous conclusions.
A lot didn't make sense to me when I got to this part and when I finished I still wasn't much wiser.

I've watched a few lore videos since but I still don't understand everything. It's just your good ol' From Software narrative, buttressed by another wonky English translation that makes things even more bewildering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom