Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Lyric Suite's own Sekiro corner

Andnjord

Arcane
BTW, one question about the memory thing. Now i can fight Lady Butterfly to my heart's content, with no repercussions either in terms of consumables or anything related to the consequences of death. One thing i wonder though. As i start getting more upgrades down the line, will this make bosses like the Lady Butterfly redundant and trivial? Or do they get stat upgrades along with you (doubt it, but i had to wonder).

I don't feel like fighting her right now but i may decide to get into a few more sparring matches before i upgrade things to the point she dies in two hits or something.
Off memory they get some upgrade once in remnant form. The OTHER early game main boss would one shot me in his remnant form when I tested it right after killing his normal version, something he didn't do before. I didn't dabble much with that stuff, so I can't be more precise than this.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Apllied Skill ~
So for the next two videos, i decided to incorporate some of the skills i just acquired, awkardly in some case. The hook upgrade actually works on the Ogre, which was interesting. I also wanted to douse him in oil to set him on fire, but i wanted to spar with him a little first. Actually wanted to make the burning a kill shot but this fucker had different plans and goes all WWF on my ass right at the last moment lmao. Somebody call Vince McMahon please.

The general was basically exactly like the other guy. I used that swipe after a shuriken attack, which actually works all though i still need to get the hang of it. I also tried to use that weapon art but got smacked in the face for my troubles. Ho well, i guess eventually i'll get used to those new abilities.

Strenghtened by my recent ordeals, grown in power and skill, the battle i had skirted previously now just seems a little quaint (maybe i should have followed some kind of gaming route lel). The chained ogre stands before me, but i feel no fear, only a cold and deadly calm (if my prose gets any more purple its going to choke to death):

I approach the monster, and decide to exploit every advantage i can get!

As i'm about to fell the beast, he succeeds in getting an hold of me, where he slams me on the ground and hurls me like a discarded rag (the fuck is this WWF shit), landing near a guard i had failed to spot earlier. Having drawn the attention of the latter, hurt, disoriented, barely able to get my bearings, i'm forced to dispatch the monster in a hurry in one last deperate attack, after which i engage the guard, where i quickly regain my footing and succeed in overcoming his attacks. After dressing my wounds, i now stand before the gate, where i spot an opening:

From below, i now see i'm up against another general, this time surrounded by armed guards under his command:

Up above, i see what is likely to be my next destination:

My attention turns back to the scene below, and i decide to take a better look with an instrument i just found:

As i turn back, before engaging in battle, i find a door, but for the time being it appears to be inaccessible:

After unloading some of my sens to the merchant, not knowing how hard the battle ahead really is, i make my return, where i dispatch the first two soldiers without being seen:

But as soon as i make the corner my position is made by a strange soldier on top of the wall, who begins to sound an alarm. After dispatching a few soldiers i leap on the wall and i confront the look out. No help for you i'm afraid buddy:

I am now in a position to ambush the general below, but being a chad, i decide to just take him head on!

Ho man his poor maps and battle plans lol:

I can finally head to the castle i spotted from afar, but the bridge below appears to have been collapsed, i can only guess intentionally:

Backtracking a little, i find a little post with a message affixed on it:

Normally my curiosity would get the better of me but after the mistake i made exploring the Hirata Estate all the way through before i was supposed to i think for once i'm going to pay heed to what the game is telling me and come back for this later. From afar i spot some shrines and what appears to be a cave. No idea what dangers lie ahead, but i decided to turn back:

Returning to the collapsed bridge, i now see there is a path to the side:

Making my way down, i get ganked by one of those useless Daikatana frogs:

I now reach the bottom, but the mountains around me begin to shake, which stops me in my tracks:

Whatever danger may lie ahead, it will have to wait for another time (as in, after launch lul).

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's probably because you tried to fight him like Sekiro instead of fighting him like Dark Souls (the ironing lel).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's probably because you tried to fight him like Sekiro instead of fighting him like Dark Souls (the ironing lel).
Yeah that's the one - and obvious - drawback of the combat system: it's phenomenal when fighting humanoids with weapons, preferably 1:1, but lacks (or fails completely) against anything else.

And if you don't agree yet I assure you, eventually you will.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Snek....snek what you doing? SNEK STAHP! ~
Wonder if i ruined this whole sequence by picking that stealth skill. Already regretting it if that's the case.

I then continue my journey. What was that? Why did the mountains shake? Ahead, the way looks clear:

I hear more trembling, but so far so good, way still looks clear:

Or not lol:

The fuck was that, couldn't even take a screenshot. I now remember that shed skin i spotted earlier, and i guess i finally found its owner. Never fear though, the Buddha is on my side on this one:

Making my way again, this time i carefully wait for it, and my, what a monster:

No way in hell i can kill this thing, therefore, only solution is to try to sneak past it. Wonder if the stealth skill i picked is going to make this easier (and thus ruin this whole sequence. Already regretting it to be honest). First, i need to wait for him to look the other way:

Damn is this thing huge:

With a fast leap i make it to the next legde, where i lay crouching hidden in a patch of grass, and just in the nick of time:

Eventually, i reach a small cave or passageway, but it appears he is already coming after me:

Fucking hell go away lol:

As soon as he moves, i make a quick dash to that patch of grass:

From which i then sprint towards a ledge. Now i'm right in the open, and all i can do is stick to the wall and try to crawl across the other side of this split in the ground. And by God, can Wolf move ANY slower:

Mmmh, i see a goodie over yonder, wonder if i could get there:

Ho FUCK:

In a panic, i dash towards that tent, seeking refuge in one desperate leap:

Except it has just dawned on me that this place ain't exactly safe. In fact, the fuck am i doing inside this bunch of flimsy rags. And, he didn't see me there, did he? DID HE?

4F9D348D35A36753C0A3722CC221C711632DC9B1

FUUUUUUU. At this point i panic in real life, not just in character, and barely manage to take this screenshot:

Before bolting the fuck out of there. I make a desperate dash to that goodie, and then just move the fuck out of here as fast as i could. I make it to a cave, where i turn and see the damn thing is almost about to get me. I try to take a shot but nothing happens since i'm just hitting backspace instead of F12 lmao. I'm forced to just leave and the next shot i was able to take is the one where i finally reach safety:

So in the end i made it to the castle's gate. Still dazed by my ordeal with the monstrous snake, i approach this wall, where i hear what seems to be like an old woman, or a baby crying:

I decided to climb and take a peek and fuck me that ain't no baby lmao:

I run to the other side where i finally see a Sculptor's Idol:

I think i had enough jump scares for one day so imma just chill here for a bit and catch my breath.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I got a couple of days of light work so i'm making good time with my progress. Hope it lasts for a bit more.

Yeah that's the one - and obvious - drawback of the combat system: it's phenomenal when fighting humanoids with weapons, preferably 1:1, but lacks (or fails completely) against anything else.

And if you don't agree yet I assure you, eventually you will.

The only fights in the game I can recall as being unfun are Headless and Demon of Hatred, all of which are optional. So that would be like 5 total enemies or so.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Oh Hi There Tree Sentinel ~

So i finally make my way through the Ashina Castle's Gate Keep. I now spy the scene, where i notice a couple of guards having some jolly conversations, which means stealth will be my first approach:

Here's that big baby, wonder what he is crying about:

I take out the first guard with a leap attack:

But i almost get spotted by a rifleman posted on that dilapidated house. I decide to approach to the other side, where i get a good view of the rifleman, a spearman patrolling around the house along with the burly giant, and i also get the chance to obtain some useful intel:

At this point i could probably take the whole group in open combat, but i'm unsure about that giant. I could easily kill him with a stealth attack like i did with the one in the Outskirts, but i'm curious to see what he can do. Plus, there's something i'd like to try on him. I now decide to make my approach from that breach in the wall, where i spy the giant in his anguish, and also, you can take out guys from ledges? Neat i had no idea:

As i wait for the giant to clear, i ponder about those monsters. What are they? Why are they in anguish? And why they disappear when killed? Eventually, as i mull over those questions in my mind, the spearman makes another round without the giant, which gives me the opportunity to take him out:

I then make a quick dash and kill the rifleman without alerting the two guards. I guess that stealth skill is actually working as intended:

With the giant making a round behind the house, i confront the guards in open combat, which gives me an opportunity to try my new weapon art on them:

(i had to come back and kill those guys three times before i could get this shot lol)

Now i have the giant for myself, and after throwing oil at him, i douse him in flames, something i haven't done on anyone yet. Since i missed my opportuntiy with the Ogre, i just had to try it on someone else:

The damage is ok, and you get a chance to swipe at him while he contorts in pain. Will definitely try it on future bosses of this type. I then get into a sparring match with him but apparently it's the same guy as the one i met in the Hirata Estate, so i just kill him and move on.

Almost didn't see those bodies before, had to come back to take a screen shot. Where those men killed by the Dragonrot, or are they soldiers killed in battle? I then spy another of those Remnants, this time a conversation between Kuro and non-other than Genichiro, his captor:

So Ashina is losing to this Interior Ministry, and that is why Genichiro kidnapped the Divine Heir, to use his blood to revive his army? Kuro attempts to warn him of the consequences:

Genichiro responds that Ashina can no longer be defended by "normal" means, their losses are too great:

Does this mean those bodies i saw were intended to be revived through the blood of the Divine Heir? How much Dragonrot could an army of men spread? This is madness!

Now, the next part i didn't get. There seems to be something wrong with the localization where sometimes the things they say are confusing and nonsensical:

Best i can tell is that Kuro is conflicted about this. He understands the concerns voiced by Genichiro but feels he is not strong enough to actually go through with it. Genichiro then assumes his relunctance has to do with something that happened in the past, probably that Dragonrot epidemic Emma was talking about, and Genichiro tells Kuro something to the effect he has to make a decision now and waiting won't make the choice any easier. I hope i got it right.

So, i set out to meet this "Demon", and i find this guy, who i almost feel sorry about:

The way the game just spells out the mechanics to you in such a blatant way makes me wonder if the hand of Activision was involved in this. Maybe they told FromSoft not to make this game as confusing or cryptic as Souls i don't know. It was fine at the start but now we are way past the tutorial phase i should think. Anyway, i put the guy out of his misery for his own good. I hope he meets his horse in Buddhist heaven.

More bodies...

I then make my way where i finally reach an open field with bodies strewn everywhere, i assume the remains of a battle between the forces of Ashina and the Interior Ministry. From afar, i also see the Ashina Castle:

I make my way down when i suddenly hear a rumbling noise coming from the distance, and sure enough it is Gyoubu, the Demon! Let there be battle then!

This boss was a bit disappointing to tell you the truth. I killed him on my first try and had to restore a back up save to actually record the fight. I was convinced after the second phase he would drop on the ground and i would have had a match with him on foot instead he just died and i got an achievement. So like i said i had to restore my save and do it over, since i wasn't recording the first time. I guess this was supposed to be my first memory boss, not the Lady Bug. Ho well.

I liked his character though. Felt sorry about killing him as much as Wolf did.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ho, he is a very cool character. He is also a great spectacle. I think i just found him easy because he basically forces you to use Elden Ring parry timings and i already got around mastering those:

The Loretta parry i actually stole from you in the first place, heh.

If i had played this before learning to make those parries in Elden Ring i'd have found him a lot harder most likely.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If the boss was just his opening line, it would still be one of my favorite enemies in FS games.
I'm never able to pay attention to that stuff. Just now I fought the armoured warrior, who kept jabbering on throughout the entire fight about god knows what. I can only manage to catch the names of bosses about half the time, never mind their dialogue. ROBERTOOOOooooooo.... was hilarious though :lol:

The way the game just spells out the mechanics to you in such a blatant way makes me wonder if the hand of Activision was involved in this. Maybe they told FromSoft not to make this game as confusing or cryptic as Souls i don't know. It was fine at the start but now we are way past the tutorial phase i should think.
Could be that they wanted to give the player further incentive to stealth through the levels. Thematically you're supposed to be Batman, after all. I agree it's heavy-handed.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW i gotta get another weapon art that Whirlwind Slash isn't that great. Yeah maybe if you find a group of three mooks bunched up toghether but for bosses it's all flash and little substance.

BTW i gotta get another weapon art that Whirlwind Slash isn't that great. Yeah maybe if you find a group of three mooks bunched up toghether but for bosses it's all flash and little substance.

It does chip damage even when they block, it's a fine combat art for bosses. Though it doesn't look like you will have big trouble in this game no matter what art or other type of tool you use. You seem to be figuring out how combat works way faster than I was on my first run after hundreds of hours of Souls.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
None of the weapon arts matter much, I guess double Ichimonji is fan favourite. Then again in the time you pull off that move you can hit the mob normally for even more damage.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
~ Rat Diplomacy ~
Big progress update ahead. I was planning on making this a two part but Codex has been working like shit all morning so i kept playing and accumulated a bunch of screens which i decided to just post all in one go:

So much carnage. The Ashina must have prevailed over the Interior Ministry but the price was heavy indeed:

From the distance, i glance at the path towards the Ashina Castle:

But before going that way, i need to investigate further. On the opposite side of the gate, i see a staircase, and on the way up, i find more bodies. Interior Ministry most likely:

Mmmmh, who bitch this is? Another ninja fight?

Before engaging, i check the side where i find another merchant. I guess those guys are like the Elden Ring merchants, all basically the same:

Still not getting the Memorial Mob achievement. I guess i gotta wait for NG+ for that. He gives me a bit of lore about himself and the other merchants. Something to do with death, battle and offerings to the dead.

Either way, it's time to face that mysterious figure. As i enter, Wolf sheathes his word. Figures, another NPC:

Hey, who you calling rat, bitch?

Wolf decides not to tell him shit, so the dude just decides to invent a name for me:

Not sure i understood how this works so i figured i'd google it. So Sekiro literally means one-armed wolf. Very original dude.

He then introduces himself, and askes me if i want to join in a bit of jolly cooperation:

Again with the rats. Look dude, i'd love to help but i'm not sure i got time to go after some rodents. Wolf of course says exactly what i'm thinking:

He goes on raving about rats. I start to feel pity, as the guy clearly isn't all there:

Ok, ok, i'll hep kill some rats. Settle down already. He then gives me a description of the rats he wants to see dead, and offers me to "hone" my talents as a reward, which definitely peaked my interest.

On the back, i find some granny, who starts blathering some shit about how war never changes or whatever:

I get it, war is hell, kid, and all that jazz. Moving away from the old hag, and after opening a shortcut that isn't really needed anyway, i make my way up this structure, but i get a little suspicious when i find no loot. Sure enough, i see a way to reach the attic, where i find another treasure box:

It is now finally time to make my way to the Ashina Castle, but not before making a quick stop to the Sculptor. Apparently, there's now another tree i need to study:

I then use the memory to upgrade my attack power, and the added lore makes me even more sad i had to kill the guy:

It is now time to reach the Castle. From a distance, i spy a little goodie, but after roping across a few tree branches, it appears i cannot reach it from this side:

I then climb on the wall to inspect the situation. Pretty routine stuff:

I see some dogs in the distance but it's no problem, i know how to deal with them now. A few shurikens and one quick stealth kill on the guard takes care of the situation:

I then easily dispatch the remaining patrol, but as i make my way up, i see something new:

So those are the rats i'm supposed to kill. Apparently, they work for Genichiro. It seems Genichiro has no limits to how low he can sink in his effort to save Ashina, first by attempting to create a cursed army of undying warriors and then by enlisting the aid of unsavoury characters like these, who don't even seem to believe Ashina can be saved and likely have their own agenda to begin with. They next speak of another mission they need to complete:

That's good to know, but what i'd like to understand is what their current mission actually is, digging in a tree? I won't find out until they are dead i guess. So, having no idea what those guys are capable of, i decide to try to flank them and at least get rid of one in a stealth attack. I start by making my around them, when by chance i spot a third one who was hiding behing this tree:

Tengu was right, those guys are treacherous rats. After killing him unseen, i slowly make my way towards the one on the left, but apparently they aren't so easy to fool, and now i'm forced to fight them both in open combat. I artfully get around their movesets, but as soon as i hit one, they appear to be impervious to all damage. Those guys appear to be like an early version of the Vulgar Militia in Elden Ring. And quite as annoying. I then figure, ok, the axe will make short order of them, so i try:

Imagine my shock when he is able to tank the axe with only some posture damage. Next thing i know i'm laying on the dirt:

So that's how it is, huh? I get up, and i manage to get a stealth kill on the nearest one since he had already turned his back on me. I then move to the next one and not knowing what to do i try to spar with him, which ends even worse than the first time:

Fuck me. On my next attempt, to my eternal shame, i had to resort to drawing one towards me using one of those ceramic thingies:

After killing him unseen, i decide to spar with the other guy to try to figure out how exactly i'm supposed to take those guys out. As i hit him, they actually lower their hats when they are blocking attacks. I'm thinking that's why the axe didn't work, so i try to catch him in the middle of an attack, which actually does the trick. The axe cracks his hat apart which allows me to move in for a kill:

Still need to get the timing right as i got hit in the process, but at least i know how they work now. I approach the tree, but there's no indication of whatever it was those guys were doing.

I now return to Tengu for my reward:

He then hands me another Esoteric Text, one that focuses on Ashina techniques. Nice! I go check out what kind of skills i get, and ho my:

Those were definitely a no brainer. The new weapon art i had to pick to unlock the tree seems interesting too. In fact, i'm gonna head out to try it now. Ok not on this guy i need a bigger target:

And sure enough, after this i come across a big giant. Perfect opportunity to test my new weapon art as well try some fire again!

Ok, made this video to test my new weapon art, which seems interesting, and also to figure out how to actually set those guys on fire since the first time it felt a bit awkard. I had to get smacked in the face twice befire i understood what was going on. You have to hit those big guys with the flame prothetic twice before they catch on fire. Fire damage is pretty good btw, definitely worth it, though it's a bit risky and it's annoying they don't just go up in flames as soon as you lit them.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fire damage is pretty good btw, definitely worth it
It's just like all the weapon arts - by the time you awkwardly and riskily pull it off you could've smacked the mob with your sword for twice the damage, with less risk.

Fire is only semi-worth it against the handful of enemies who are weak to it - the ogre and one or two other.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm assuming it's like that because they wanted to leave room for upgrades. I guess if you want to just set everything on fire you should spec for it.

Andnjord

Arcane
You have to hit those big guys with the flame prothetic twice before they catch on fire. Fire damage is pretty good btw, definitely worth it, though it's a bit risky and it's annoying they don't just go up in flames as soon as you lit them.
Oil is your friend.
He did throw oil, you didn't watch

cf14414cc8ce8a5e691b2a77dc4e3918.jpg
Guilty as charged, I was on public transport and didn't want to use my precious, precious data on a non-boss mob. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom