Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - remake of Mafia from Hangar 13

Mark Richard

Arcane
Tomb Raider 2013 had a good cover system, Lara just naturally hid behind cover during firefights if you were close enough and it never felt sticky.
The sticky cover system popularized by the first Gears of War was surpassed in 2008 by Army of Two, which took the next logical step as characters automatically used surroundings as cover based on their positioning. Taking cover felt natural and didn't restrict free movement. I surmise that it's still not a widespread feature because programming environmental awareness takes more effort than having the player superglue themselves to a wall to play a 3D version of Space Invaders.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Tomb Raider 2013 had a good cover system, Lara just naturally hid behind cover during firefights if you were close enough and it never felt sticky.

Those games... well the first two, haven't played Shadow yet... also benefited from their combat rewarding movement a lot despite having a cover system. Also a heavy helping of stealth. I felt like a constantly moving predator in those games, while in Mafia 2 I felt like a stationary gun turret.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW WWWWWW SOOOOOOOOOO CRAAAAAAZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW BRRUUUUUUUUUUUUH

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Beyond retarded. But not so retarded as doors having a fucking glowing icon on them.

Shaking a fist at an intentionally whacky easter egg and calling it "beyond retarded". P. much sums up this entire thread.
I haven't played much of the original Free Ride mode, but wasn't theer whacky stuff like this in the original as well?

Lemming42

Arcane
Yep, Freeride Extreme had a giant godzilla thing that comes out of the water, a guy who can run at about 120mph, and other whack shit. Of all the things to critique DE over, Fun Alien Head Easter Egg has to be very low on the totem pole.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Lmao Dan just had published another long-ass interview about all kinds of nonsense and among other things he was asked what his unproduced Mafia 3 script was about. So apparently it also took place in the 60s and player played as both italian-american mafioso and a police officer who investigated the mob, JFK played some kind of role in it. He cannot publish it or go into detail because technically it is owned by Take2 and he is super pissed it wasn't made because he was proud of it and thought it was better than M1 or M2.

Anyway, fuck this game is sexy

mafiascreenshot2020.091kjn.png

mafiascreenshot2020.0vsk4s.png

It seems he uses enhanced draw distance that comes with widescreen fix mod and a water shader mod. I used those two as well on my last run + usual forced anisotropic filtering and 8x SGSSAA from nvidia inspector, game doesn't need anything more than that.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Salute for playing the best version of the game. Have you installed some kind of graphical mod, the game looks great on these shots.
I installed the remastered modpack
https://www.moddb.com/mods/mafia-remastered/downloads

Very simple, no fussing. What surprised me, even my xbone controller works for driving after I mapped it in the game.

Looks pretty sweet. It doesn't make any changes to the game other than the graphics, right?

It mentions having new models for the default cars. Does that mean he just put in higher-res versions, or did he change the art style as well?

Paul_cz

Arcane
I'm sure I'll like Kingdom Come when I get around to it, but a medieval Poland sim doesn't get my dick hard. A 1930's gangster sim though? Be still my beatin' heart...

I actually like Kingdom Come more than Mafia, and I consider Mafia a masterpiece. KCD is still more ambitious and immersive though. Then again I like open world RPGs with beautiful worlds to explore and high quality writing, sadly there are very few like that.

Looks pretty sweet. It doesn't make any changes to the game other than the graphics, right?

It mentions having new models for the default cars. Does that mean he just put in higher-res versions, or did he change the art style as well?

I haven't noticed any other changes other than graphics. The car model on the screenshot above is improved from the original I think.

ADL

Prophet
I wasn't too crazy about the medieval Bohemian setting either but I think I'm more interested in Daniel Vavra's direction than the games themselves because no matter what he does, it'll be good. He's three for three so far. I'll cut him a little slack on Mafia 2 knowing that he got fucked on that one but it was still good.

Kingdom Come Deliverance is easily my favorite game of the last twenty years by far.

At first, I was annoyed by them giving you the ability to skip the driving but after I realized they removed all the stuff that made the original's open world good, I started skipping all the open world segments. Seriously... The fuck is this bullshit?

GewuerzKahn

Savant
Salute for playing the best version of the game. Have you installed some kind of graphical mod, the game looks great on these shots.
I installed the remastered modpack
https://www.moddb.com/mods/mafia-remastered/downloads

Very simple, no fussing. What surprised me, even my xbone controller works for driving after I mapped it in the game.
I tried this mod. The game looks great, but the loading times are now ridiculous long. Like 10 minutes to load a mission.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom