Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Mafia: Definitive Edition - remake of Mafia from Hangar 13

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Life of the Party, May 10, 2020.

1. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    That only happened to me on the first load. Every other load has been quick (usually around 30 sec)

^ Top  
  2. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    So is this actually worth it or is this one of those games where gameplay is just filler between cutscenes a la Witcher 3?

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. schru Cipher

schru
    The original is well worth playing. The combat presents a nice degree of challenge.

• Yes Yes x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. Quillon Magister

Quillon
    what a shit, cutscene to cutscene, boring af & changed for some fucked up reason remake, even the devs of this were aware it was shit so they made a beeline to the end campaign, keeping the gameplay to a minimum but even with that I don't have the patience to finish this shit

^ Top  
  5. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    Glad I was patient for the crack then. I was looking for some entertainment during the weekend and looks like I found it.

^ Top  
  6. Alexander DeLarge Savant

Alexander DeLarge
    I hope you guys are pirating this shit because it ain't worth paying for, as someone that paid for it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I think I'll "demo" it soon for a while at least, if only to drive around the city with new graphics.

^ Top  
  8. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    There were first person games back then (hello Ultima Underworld?). They still chose to go the isometric route. Me thinks this argument is bullshit.

And lol at them changing the story for this shitmaster. Can't wait for the inevitable sequel where we are going to get Mafia: Last of Us 2 edition 'since you know that shit is coming, don't you. Not even going to pirate this fucking shit.

^ Top  
  9. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Decided to give this a try, despite being very disillusioned by watching a full playthrough earlier, because it's on piracy sites now Mafia 1 is still one of my favourite games and playing through a new interpretation of the levels is too big a deal not to try.

Here's my full opinion. No mention of what they've done to the story (they fucked it), just purely a gameplay-based review:

Show Spoiler
    An Offer You Can't Refuse - fucking terrible now. In the original game, one car is after you and it's up to you to use the game's mechanics in any way you can to lose or wreck the car. In this, there's like five cars plus a three-car roadblock on the bridge. Don't worry, though - driving into the special markers on the minimap will cause your pursuers to magically wreck, in a cutscene where you have no control! Fantastic. And if there's no car behind you because you lost them long ago, the game will just teleport one in to get dramatically wrecked. Great.

Running Man - much better, because on Classic difficulty, the driving controls and physics really are great fun, better than the original game's IMO. So driving around the city chilling out is a good experience. The chase at the end is more or less faithful to the original, albeit with the gay parkour shit now. I like that you can still tell the lady that her date is waiting in the opposite alleyway.

Ordinary Routine - gameplay-wise, a faithful remake (story-wise, less said the better). First taste of combat, and I wasn't feeling it at all. The stealth takedowns are utterly ridiculous, but there's an unavoidable gunfight in the bar at the end and my first experience of the combat mechanics was largely positive. Not a fan of cover shooters but this is about as good as they get, honestly. The car chase at the end was fucking dogshit, you can't freely aim at the enemy car and, again, where the original game pitted you against a single opponent, Definitive Edition throws in two or three extra pursuers, just because I guess you'd get bored otherwise?

Fairplay - better than the original. The race is still brutally unfair (I had to turn the difficulty down from Classic just to beat it), but driving the racecar through the city is a lot more fun now, especially when it's been sabotaged and the engine is falling apart. Really pleasingly harsh time limits too.

Sarah - the melee combat is awful, so this one sucks. The original game's melee combat was clunky, but the start of the fight where three guys all start beating the shit out of you at once and you can't even move was wonderfully brutal. Here, Tommy wipes the floor with everyone by spamming shitty little attacks which the opponents have no hope of blocking. They also politely attack one at a time like Bruce Lee's enemies. And the boss fight, just lol.

Better Get Used To It - Complete disaster. More shit melee combat, and then the shootout which was very tense in the original turns into some insane cinematic Saving Private Ryan affair where a warehouse explodes, a sign explodes and electrocutes some guy, five guys rush out guns blazing, a guy with a shotgun kicks down a door in your face, total crap. The chase at the end is ace though because the rain actually has an effect on the car, you go sliding everywhere.

The Saint And The Sinner - two chapters merged. The hotel shootout is pure fun, easily the best combat in the game so far. The church is a little bit shit - the original was great as you're pinned down at the end of the church and have to take out your assailants one-by-one. In this, because everything's got to be melodramatic, it turns into a laughable chase through the church where guys are just popping out of nowhere while not-Tommy yells insane bloodlust threats at some kid.

A Trip To The Country - terrible. Ridiculous battle to Sam's barn and then a completely fucking stupid defence segment where guys line up to walk into the barn and get shot by you. Then the truck chase, christ almighty. As if the original's wasn't bad enough, now it goes on for like 6 fucking hours and has an armoured truck boss fight. Retarded.

Omerta - you can actually ghost through the whole airport without firing a shot! Better than the original, IMO. Not least because the original was one of the game's weak points in encounter design.

Visiting Rich People - comically easily stealth with your stupid Sam Fisher takedowns, and then a forced shootout after the safe. Boring.

Great Deal - not as fun as the original, which was one of the triumphs of the original combat system, but it's decent cover-shooting fun.

Bon Appetit - the restaurant part is better than the original, since there's now enemies covering the exits out back, which of course there would be. The Carlo part sucks.

Happy Birthday - trash. Less freedom than the original, and then an unavoidable massive gunfight to escape the boat.

You Lucky Bastard - trash compared to the original, but more solid cover shooting action at the harbour.

Creme de la Creme - absolutely fucking comical. What the fuck were they thinking with the plane chase.

Election Campaign - really liked what they did with this. The original didn't make much sense, now there's much more detail on who the prison people are, and not all of them attack you. Sort of like a weird haunted house vibe. The forced fight against the cops at the end brings it down.

Just for Relaxation - dogshit.

Moonlighting - pretty much on par with the original.

The Death of Art - solid reinterpretation of the art gallery battle.

So overall, it got some moments right, made a couple of good design choices, but on balance it's generally weaker than the original game. And again, this is just in gameplay/level design. The story loses completely to the original*, to the point where I don't know what they were thinking with some of the changes they made.

*except for Sarah, who is better now, and Election Campaign, which now actually makes sense

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  10. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I've finished "Happy Birthday" just now. Fucking hated how I'm supposed to go along set path through a forced popamole combat after killing the target. The premise of the original mission was more or less realistic. You shoot the guy, then escape after while everyone is losing their heads. No need to engage in any combat, just run straight to the boat. In this there's only one path to it and any other pathways are blocked by objects like furniture and shit. And it's same shit throughout every other mission. Every shootout must be turned up to 11 with way higher body counts now.

The end of "Trip to The Country" pissed me off so much. In original is just few cop cars chasing you, in this one it's fucking waves of them and then that ridiculous armored truck fight at the end too.

"Fairplay" was actually way harder than original for me on Classic, to the point where I gave up and temporarily lowered difficulty to Medium. Cornering in original was way easier, just release the gas and the car makes turns no problem. In this it just controls like shit no matter what and every opponent is faster than you.

"Omerta" was pretty much impossible to do shooting my may through it. Also while in original I could improvise by grabbing a car and running over some enemies in this you can't even get into any cars in airport despite there being plenty of them. They're just scenery decorations. Apparently sneaking through is the way they want you to do it, and it's laughably easy too, making the mission very short.

For the most part this takes a game that was based around realism and immersion as inspiration and makes everything edgier and more "epic".

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I read his post more as denying "if the technology existed to make Fallout 3 then, they would have made Fallout 1 similar to Fallout 3." As in picking up the industry and moving it back 10 years. You're right though, I think he more meant they chose to make it isometric as opposed to something like Daggerfall, which is true enough.

^ Top  
  12. Ol' Willy Arcane Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    TES Arena - 1994
    Witchaven - 1995
    Witchaven 2 and TES Daggerfall - 1996

The technology did exist, it's just that Tim Cain wanted to make RPG instead of an action game.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. karoliner Magister

karoliner
    The game is okay but there is way too much driving around.

• what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    you realize there's far less driving around than there is in the original mafia, right? you can skip it too

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Why does Tommy look like Bela Lugosi? Also everyone's eyes look dead.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.