Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
also i would like some starter for deck around nadir kraken and ominous sea. I sort of want tentacle thing

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2926645#paper

I would use this as a basis for an Ominous Seas deck. Pimp with Arielle the everwise and replace quench for Scorching Dragonfire, maybe add Unlikely Alliance for spice. I dont think Nadir Kraken belong in the same deck as Ominous Sea as Nadir Kraken seems best when you only draw 1 card per turn and use him as a Mana sink to generate board pressure while counterspelling everything your opponent does. But you can certainly try.

, please pimp my deck so that it can survive and do the thing on occasion

https://article.hareruyamtg.com/article/40117/?lang=en

I think this is a potent shell for what you are trying to do, I would definitly take over the 4x arboreal grazer from that. Also I would play scorching dragonfire in any deck that has red lands and doesnt want to target face. Storms Wrath seems helpfull for survival aswell.
I also think 4x Glint Horn is a little overkill, since you never want to cast that card without a Song of Creation. 2x should be enough to always have one when you have song on the board.

I want to brew a Bant enchantments matter deck with Ominous Seas and Setessan Champion and Archon of Suns Grace. Maybe that goes somewhere.

spectre

Arcane
Biggest problem with Nadir Kraken in practice is how fragile it is, pretty much needs counterspell backup most of the time.

Whenever I try Ominous Seas, I'm always amazed how slow this shit is. If it's not out on turn two, it takes a lot of time to release the kraken, so you're probably best with sweep the board then make some tentickles style of play.
Anyways, fastest card draw triggers in general is probably with cycling, it also lets you manage the draws against mana spent for the kraken, so it's some kind of a middle ground. There's a red enchantment that turns into a dino when you cycle, might work well with Ominous Seas.
Would let you keep your side of the board clear and mop up with wraths and sweeps as you beat down. I would be wary of turning it into a full on cycling deck. These things really bore me because just working towards a Zenith Flare is a no brainer strategy, but since it's a w***e card, we're not be going to have this problem. Otherwise, there's plenty of stuff that works so well with this strategy, like that enchant land that gives haste and trample, just what those octopi needed if you ask me.

Another approach would be to draw a shitton of cards in one go. Heartwarming Redemption is good pay-off but is a no go, this leaves us with Thirst For Meaning giving the best draw number for the money, maybe Expansion // Explosion and Gadwick. though this would warrant some mana acceleration.

Since the plan is to draw a lot, the draw-two pay off cards could be interesting, of course the improbable alliance suggested above, but Irencrag pyromancer is a card I've been meaning to put to work since quite some time.

Wew. Misclicked and brought my standard-pauper deck to the historic-artisan event and still won. God bless Izzet and god bless Fling being instant speed so you can nail someone for lethal when he thinks he can use his mana on the endstep rather than keeping it up for counters.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
T3feri can go fuck himself. Every single card released that features him in the last few years has been absolute cancer to play against. He has made me loathe playing against or with Azorius, and I liked that guild before.

By the way MaRo has made a few hints that they might have to kill the entire companion mechanic by making you start a card down when you play one, since it is warping literally all gameplay formats MTG has in which they are legal. And as far as I am concerned that cant come soon enough, together with an Agent of Treachery ban.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Tbh i don't think teferi is as bad as a lot of other meta cards, but yeah fuck constructed in general

Their new design philosophy has been horrible. Killing the New World Order and making commons good again was an amazing move for limited, but they shouldnt have raised the power level of rares and mythics to compensate. So what if a common is constructed playable?
Ever since War of the Spark the standard meta has been in varying shades of fucked compared to Dominaria and Ixalan. Maybe not as bad as Kaladesh but there was always something broken.
Currently every deck wants to cheat out a damn Agent of Treachery by turn 4. Winnota grabs him with almost certainty and Lukka decks run only him as a creature in the first place. Then they start bouncing and suddenly all your lands are gone.

Thank god for Brawl, lets hope they add a permanent pauper/artisan queue soon. Historic can be a bit weird, but its not that bad aswell.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Their new design philosophy has been horrible. Killing the New World Order and making commons good again was an amazing move for limited, but they shouldnt have raised the power level of rares and mythics to compensate. So what if a common is constructed playable?
Ever since War of the Spark the standard meta has been in varying shades of fucked compared to Dominaria and Ixalan. Maybe not as bad as Kaladesh but there was always something broken.
Currently every deck wants to cheat out a damn Agent of Treachery by turn 4. Winnota grabs him with almost certainty and Lurrus decks run only him as a creature in the first place. Then they start bouncing and suddenly all your lands are gone.

Yeah I think I read somewhere that their new goal is to bring new standard sets up to the power level of eldraine or higher, to make games more exciting for twitch streams or esports or whatever.. To me, standard feels a lot like just waiting for the first person to jam down their epic otk combo that's usually un-interactable or at least futily so (oh you had a removal for agent? too late lul they already stole ur shit gg. oh you're not compromising your deck by mainboarding artifact removal just in case you're matched against an oven deck? lmao noob rekt). Just feels like a dice roll where every decision is totally obvious.

Limited is usually more like, a long 20+ turn game where most turns have important decisions and winning or losing is determined by the culmination of good decisions you've made in each turn, plus just drafting smart in general. I mean yeah sometimes you flood or your opponent otks you with double zenith flare (which is dumb af and should be banned btw but WOTC's a bunch of pussy betas), but MOST of the time I at least feel like I earned a victory or loss, rather than "LOL T3 embercleave 20000 trample dmg YU-GI-OHHHHHHHHHH"

oh well, not sure what to say other than that's just not fun for me

Perkel

Arcane
Damn i just love this game. Finally magic game that is not retarded.
Moreover compared to real magic i can actually play for fucking free instead of spending boatloads of money.
Just returned got some codes and voila 15 packs just like that did some daily got 2 other packs and enough money to buy another 2.

That is more boosters in a single day then i bought in a year back when i was playing magic years ago.
And they are bringing historic back so i can use my cards even when i don't have yet new ones and still earn daily and rewards.

I still can't believe that they did this and it is cheap to play. Heartstone is absolute shitfest when it comes to being cheap to play while magic was previously the most expensive and now it is completely reversed and magic is supercheap to play. I even bought that mystery pass just to support good game.

I really hope it will stay that way.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Damn i just love this game. Finally magic game that is not retarded.
Moreover compared to real magic i can actually play for fucking free instead of spending boatloads of money.
Just returned got some codes and voila 15 packs just like that did some daily got 2 other packs and enough money to buy another 2.

That is more boosters in a single day then i bought in a year back when i was playing magic years ago.
And they are bringing historic back so i can use my cards even when i don't have yet new ones and still earn daily and rewards.

I still can't believe that they did this and it is cheap to play. Heartstone is absolute shitfest when it comes to being cheap to play while magic was previously the most expensive and now it is completely reversed and magic is supercheap to play. I even bought that mystery pass just to support good game.

I really hope it will stay that way.

MTGA has by far the most generous online card economy currently. Leagues card game is the only comparable runner up.
When you read the patchnotes you can see the fumes of Hasbros executives breathing down the developers necks to make the game more expensive. Every patch they try to sneak in something that makes the game more predatory.
2:1 Wildcards was the most egregious. luckily it started a shitstorm and they had to row back on that.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
historic is cool, play gobbos
Companion
1 Umori, the Collector (IKO) 231

Deck
4 Skirk Prospector (DAR) 144
4 Goblin Instigator (M19) 142
3 Goblin Chainwhirler (DAR) 129
4 Goblin Warchief (DAR) 130
4 Goblin Ringleader (M20) 143
4 Goblin Matron (MH1) 129
2 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Gempalm Incinerator (LGN) 94
2 Volley Veteran (M19) 168
2 Siege-Gang Commander (DAR) 143
2 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254
2 Goblin Cratermaker (GRN) 103
20 Mountain (DAR) 263
1 Goblin Trashmaster (M19) 144
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Goblin Ruinblaster (ZEN) 127

Sideboard

song of creation is very much functional if you just toss it into breach combo, it's fun but not that good. jeskai breach is probably better. kinnan is nutty though
Deck
4 Underworld Breach (THB) 161
2 Island (ANA) 57
1 Mind Stone (WTH) 153
1 Forest (ANA) 60
4 Ornithopter (M10) 216
2 Thassa's Oracle (THB) 73
4 Opt (DAR) 60
4 Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy (IKO) 192
1 Mountain (ANA) 59
4 Emry, Lurker of the Loch (ELD) 43
4 Diligent Excavator (DAR) 51
3 Song of Creation (IKO) 210
4 Mox Amber (DAR) 224
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
3 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
4 Stonecoil Serpent (ELD) 235
2 Ketria Triome (IKO) 250
1 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
historic is cool, play gobbos
Companion

Deck
4 Skirk Prospector (DAR) 144
4 Goblin Instigator (M19) 142
3 Goblin Chainwhirler (DAR) 129
4 Goblin Warchief (DAR) 130
4 Goblin Ringleader (M20) 143
4 Goblin Matron (MH1) 129
2 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Gempalm Incinerator (LGN) 94
2 Volley Veteran (M19) 168
2 Siege-Gang Commander (DAR) 143
2 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254
2 Goblin Cratermaker (GRN) 103
20 Mountain (DAR) 263
1 Goblin Trashmaster (M19) 144
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Goblin Ruinblaster (ZEN) 127

Sideboard

Maybe I am being blind, but can that deck even cast Umori? You only have red lands and I dont think any of your gobbos can make black or green mana either.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
sry luka :'(

S2PYkKI.jpg

double bombardment by t4 this felt dirty

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I want a permanent historic pauper or artisan queue, Pirates are absolute gas in Pauper and Artisan. Distant Melody is extremely good for them.

But WOTC needs to make more standard bucks

:deathclaw:

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom