Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

spectre

Arcane
I'm not too sure about Navigator's Compass. Playing it basically as a Healing Salve and nothing else (Since playing artifacts for the sake of playing artifacts isn't too great for the deck. There's extra potential life with a monument out and Karn could whip it into a crap blocker) but that doesn't feel like it'd be worth the cost of a card in itself. Shitty blockers could potentially turn into a shitty clock if they resolve against control, while the compass would just be a dead draw. Those are the wrong fountains, too. Fountain of Renewal is the 1 life gain a turn artifact, but I'm running of 4 these lands which essentially have zero downside being in the deck:

Yeah, fountain this, fountain that... you know what I'm talking about. Point is, while Fountain of Removal can sac itself for cheap and technically is never a dead draw, the drip life wasn't enough to keep you alive, sometimes even when dropped t1. The healing salve essentially negates one bolt straight away, which is sometimes all you need. I agree it's an underwhelming card (add +1/+1 on the tokens for the other Karn to the list of its relevant effects). In Bo1, it's always a balancing act, depending on what you need to beat. Add shit vs. aggro, and you get weaker vs. control.

On the other hand, exploring the options for cheap blockers is also fine. Only problem is, if it costs (2), it interferes with casting ramp and slows you down, three mana blockers just might be too slow, and I'm not sure if there's anything good for one.
Ornithopters at least can be buffed by the monument, but will mostly soak an attack and do nothing to keep you out of bolt range (making them slightly inferior to compass), Inquisitive Puppet will soak two attacks and maybe trade with a Viashino,
Gleaming Barrier is an overlooked card, best thing about it is that it ramps when it dies, making it not a wasted play. Golden Egg ties a bit too much mana, I think. Perilous Myr can be a decent roadblock, trading with a 3T attacker, or even killing two,
though see my remark about 2 mana things. That slot already has too much important shit going on. Voltaic Servant is a decent body (although still boltable) that can sometimes untap something relevant (though you mostly do your shit on your own turn in this deck).
At three mana you have Edifice of Authority (which seems the best of the bunch, although could still be too slow),

The meteor golems are overdone, but that was more of a "Can't think of anything else to put in here right now, but meteor golem's always useful" move. If I had a Lithoform Engine I'd probably have one in there as a wishboard option. And you mentioning Golos is really good. I completely goddamn forgot about Golos. I may play a few in the main just as additional blockers and source of ramp even without Cataracts simply because the deck wants to ramp anyway, and being able to pull out a specific land as the situation calls for it could be useful. Probably worth crafting a Cataracts for, though.
Well, he's a bit pointless without the cataract (and you only need one). If you just want to ramp, sad golem would simply be better, though you'd have to pollute the deck with basic lands.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Jesus fucking christ they're making Walking Dead cards and decided not to do a Harry Potter crossover because JKR is transphobic? Is that right? Holy shit this is peak clownworld hahahaaa
i admit i didn't really delve too deep into it, but i read a couple things and i couldn't really find anything "transphobic", can someone enlighten me on what the issue is?

spectre

Arcane
Jesus fucking christ they're making Walking Dead cards and decided not to do a Harry Potter crossover because JKR is transphobic? Is that right? Holy shit this is peak clownworld hahahaaa
i admit i didn't really delve too deep into it, but i read a couple things and i couldn't really find anything "transphobic", can someone enlighten me on what the issue is?
Y'all really want to wallow in this shit?
I think the original cancelling came about when she (rather reasonably) objected to the term "people who menstruate".
To quote: "I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?"

He also made the mistake of trying to defend that statement vs. the twatter crowd.

Another shitstorm was supposedly about the antagonist of her newest book being a cross-dresser, but I believe that one was just the follow up to the above,
when the cunts started digging for something to be offended about.

Anyways, nothing to see here, just retards dividing by zero.
But the big corp did what big corp does: oh noes, a controversy?
We can't have any of those in our fagship product. Not even a little bit.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Since diamond is a bit too tryhard for my tastes (well, I always welcome the challenge, but you need 80% winrate to stay infinite there and that's cosmic), I'm clubbing the baby seals in the trad draft.

3-0:
nlQ9kJNTeS4.jpg

Just a nice combo of tempo and card advantage. Which is kinda pointless if you can't realise it in time. There are three Tactics there, btw, and they've been golden here - always went for 4-6 damage, thus killing a dangerous creature each time and more than compensating for all the greedy kickers, draw, etc.

3-0:
z1EPUMwSDOE.jpg

No idea how this went 3-0. I've played Drana 1 time exactly and, outside of GW, Scutes are not that big of a bomb. I guess the nigh-endless rows of 3/3 lifelinkers did matter somewhat - at the end of the day, most opps couldn't outbeat what I was draining back from them. Still, mostly lucky pairings, I think.

2-1:
uEvGqAZzjKQ.jpg

Outside of the bombs, an average deck. Jerboas are really hit or miss when it comes to landfall, at least without Makindi Beasts. On the other hand, t2 Cobra or Luminarch is an auto win. Blademaster into Pick-Axe or Jerboa is also not too fun, especially when you can make a Roiling Regrowth surprise - people always forget that you have this instant option to put 2 lands into play. Even Attended Healer into Makindi Stampede managed to snipe one game, lol. But probably not a 3-0 deck.

2-1:
-rdZY3eWLs8.jpg

Was a highly annoying draft in a sense that everyone was drafting everything and signals were as unclear as they get. So, tbh, this is as good as it gets under such conditions, especially when the deck doesn't feature that much dubious filler - just Negate, Packbeast and Sea-Gates, I guess. On the other hand, Thwart the Grave into double Golems is what've won me half the games here so I won't complain much against them - once you've exchanged your removal for their threats, vanilla 7/5 suits your needs all right.

So now I'm at 44/80 mythics of the set and at 158 packs stashed. The drafting season is three quarters done, I suppose.

RuySan

Augur
Clover is fine. It's Omnath that's the problem, but we all know these overpowered by design cards take a lot of time to be banned.

It's ridiculous that they're damaging the game for short term profits. There was a time wotc kept power creep in check. For example mercadian masks was scaled back compared to urzas saga and tempest cycles.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
remember when 3feri wasn't banned and, for like a full year we never had to deal with these cancer RNG clown-fest "hurr hurr all my cards are flash and counterspells I just play everything on your end step. did I draw counters in the right order? I win! did I draw counters in the wrong order? I lose!" boring ass decks

then these idiot designers take this, most cancer style of play, and tack on the second most cancer style of play, mill
so lame

3feri did NOTHING wrong

fingers still crossed for ugin, omnath, clover, and henge ban on monday
standard is still unplayable
also they need to castrate whoever thought pushing mill so hard would be a good idea
Did they say there's another B&R coming Monday? If so I probably should make a playset of Omnath. Dunno about Ugin getting hit, though that would follow the "Ban the older card to keep the newer card in as long as possible" route. Wouldn't see henge being banned, slight chance on clover but leery on that too. Omnath's the biggy and I could see Ugin. With our luck they'll just ban Escape to the Wilds and call it good.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
also they need to castrate whoever thought pushing mill so hard would be a good idea
Did they say there's another B&R coming Monday? If so I probably should make a playset of Omnath. Dunno about Ugin getting hit, though that would follow the "Ban the older card to keep the newer card in as long as possible" route. Wouldn't see henge being banned, slight chance on clover but leery on that too. Omnath's the biggy and I could see Ugin. With our luck they'll just ban Escape to the Wilds and call it good.

after uro ban they said that they were waiting to see how the meta is in future tournaments before considering more bans, and the big tournament this week has something like 70% omnath + clover decks so it seems chances are good that they'll ban something next week

I'm so sick of ugin being a colorless catch-all removal spell for multiple turns that fits into nearly every deck. There are so many decks that just can't be played because most decks can just drop an ugin and pull off some 8-for-0 removal on turn 6

clover is more of the stupid colorless 2 mana "doubling everything" infinite card advantage that's obviously busted since it's 4 of in most of the standard tournament decks.

I want henge banned because I'm tired of green, the most pushed color for the past years, having infinite card draw and value forever and henge often comes down in turn 4. but it won't be banned

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, worst bit about the shamrock is that it lets you ignore casting cost. You'd figure those asshats would figure it out by now - casting shit for free: bad.
I can kinda rationalize that this shit is sorta needed to keep the whole mechanic viable in constructed, but they could do a better job balancing it.
Especially when two out of three colors will find it problematic to remove once it resolves.

Needed to take a break from historic again, Bo1 was filled to the brim with neoform combo, which is obnoxiously fast and rather difficult to stop without sideboarding
and I didn't have the stomach for Bo3 today, nor for playing U tempo.

On the bright side, I've only met a handful of omnaths today, so it appears the meta is in the process of settling. Or the cunts that had the wildcards to craft it already whizzed past plat.
In the process, I've seen a bunch od valid strategies that can shit on both Omnath and Rogues. Lurrus based BR and UBR midrange shiznit looks rather dope, mono red is dead (shame, cause it was a nice ride last season)
and it seems like GR is back in business as the go-to aggro.
Cock-sa, Eternal Hunger and Chainweb Aracnir are two sleeper hits, especially the latter against a deck that is trying to sorta, kinda mill you and relies on a bunch of fliers.
I have a sort of a love/hate relationship with the current standard. On the one hand, it is what it is, a one-deck shitshow. On the other, I haven't seen a planeswanker drop in quite a while.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

after uro ban they said that they were waiting to see how the meta is in future tournaments before considering more bans, and the big tournament this week has something like 70% omnath + clover decks so it seems chances are good that they'll ban something next week

I'm so sick of ugin being a colorless catch-all removal spell for multiple turns that fits into nearly every deck. There are so many decks that just can't be played because most decks can just drop an ugin and pull off some 8-for-0 removal on turn 6

clover is more of the stupid colorless 2 mana "doubling everything" infinite card advantage that's obviously busted since it's 4 of in most of the standard tournament decks.

I want henge banned because I'm tired of green, the most pushed color for the past years, having infinite card draw and value forever and henge often comes down in turn 4. but it won't be banned

Ugin is fun, just make sure you have planeswalker removal for the other player ofc.

As for "henge" being overpowered, I disagree. It's really easy to get rid of and I usually end up "copying" one for myself before destroying the other players.

Currently rolling a diamond tier blue/white/black retard deck (not counter or mill oriented)

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Ugin is fun, just make sure you have planeswalker removal for the other player ofc.

As for "henge" being overpowered, I disagree. It's really easy to get rid of and I usually end up "copying" one for myself before destroying the other players.

Currently rolling a diamond tier blue/white/black retard deck (not counter or mill oriented)

the only colors that have access to artifact removal are green and white. if you're playing green then you're playing henge. if you're playing white then all of your removal dies to a certain colorless planeswalker that can consistently be played on turn 5/6 and your opponent gets whatever you removed back for free.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

the only colors that have access to artifact removal are green and white. if you're playing green then you're playing henge. if you're playing white then all of your removal dies to a certain colorless planeswalker that can consistently be played on turn 5/6 and your opponent gets whatever you removed back for free.

I splash a decent amount of artifacts in my deck.

If you can't beat them, join them.

As for other forms of "removal" get creative, for blue I have my "can be anything card" with mythos of illuna

A quick google search showed a common red M21 card with artifact removal "destructive tampering" and I verified my account. I guess I already have 4 of those. I never pay attention to red cards because I don't play red often. I find aggro boring.

As for black artifact removal, I know there are a lot of black cards that return a card to a players hand. One of my favorite strategies to get rid of a card I am currently getting spanked by is to wait for the players hand to be empty (either through forcing them to discard using the black discard instant spells, or just taking it up the ass until their cards are gone).

Then I'll butt-blast them with an ashiok, nightmare muse. -3 ability lets you return any non-land permanent to their hand, then the player exiles a card from their hand. It's effectively an "exile" anything ability.

If ur playing monoblack for some reason, find an excuse to throw in a card that lets you make blue or any color into your deck.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
As for black artifact removal, I know there are a lot of black cards that return a card to a players hand. One of my favorite strategies to get rid of a card I am currently getting spanked by is to wait for the players hand to be empty
they don't run out of cards! that's the whole point of henge
for blue I have my "can be anything card" with mythos of illuna
wtf are these whack ass decks you're playing lmao

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
for blue I have my "can be anything card" with mythos of illuna
wtf are these whack ass decks you're playing lmao

My deck is filled with 12D chess quadruple bluffs, and when I finally get somebody to "call my bluff," I ass-blast them with something unexpected.

Example bluff, I might toss out a "speaker of the heavens" on turn one, turn two maybe use a "light of hope" to gain life and cause the person's jimmies to get rustled.

At that point they probably think I'm playing a full on angel deck and start blasting removal cards on me (if they haven't already). My deck is designed to wear down the opponents removals (or mills because its a 250 card deck)

I have tons of false bluffs like that in my deck when in reality its a retard deck. I'm not too invested in any particular "combo," but I have a lot of options and varieties I can choose from. I built it sort of like a commander deck.

Either way, its a retard deck, but it's how I find weird combos.

Seems to be working well enough as I've been in the diamond tier since the season started.

There has been an increase in the number of "mill decks" lately from what I've noticed also. Having a "big deck" (huehue) can let you bypass the 99.9% of those asshats. I've only had my entire deck milled out once so far in this season, usually the retards run out of mill cards and then I just kill them or watch them run out of cards. Mill decks never think of getting milled themselves ironically.

B&R confirmed for coming on Monday. PLACE YER BETS GENTS, PLACE YER BETS. Will Omnath eat a bullet, or will WotC bravely decide to ban Cultivate instead? +M

Edit: Did a few more drafts, reached the point I don't want to play any more drafts this month, so I think I'll probably wildcard 3 lotus cobras, 2 Omnath, and 2 Ugin. Those are probably the most likely cards for the chopping block and if they aren't chopped then they're powerful enough I won't feel too bad about having a playset anyway. Omnath's the guiltiest party of the lot since his 4 free mana shit allows for obscene turns, while Ugin WotC can at least PRETEND you can rush him down. Still wouldn't count them out on banning Song of Creation or something instead, but eh.

Unfortunate part is I don't feel a burning desire to have more of any of those cards, but I'd rather over-spend on wildcards and get the refund than just get the refund on the ones I've pulled from packs.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Just you wait for them to ban Evolving Wilds and call it a day.

While Embereth Shieldbreaker is a rather poor card overall with the adventure half being underwhelming due to sorcery speed, and the creature bit being just crappy, but Shredded Sails is a nice sideboard inclusion that makes life miserable for a decent number of things that are currently played. And also cycles.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
While Embereth Shieldbreaker is a rather poor card overall with the adventure half being underwhelming due to sorcery speed, and the creature bit being just crappy, but Shredded Sails is a nice sideboard inclusion that makes life miserable for a decent number of things that are currently played. And also cycles.

these are such shitty sideboard cards lol
why can't blue or black or red have some equivalent of gemrazer something like 'counter target spell + destroy target permanent"
why does green always get the good cards that do everything and are always good in mainboard and then they also get access to all of the busted colorless permanents and ramp payoffs

:negative:

B&R confirmed for coming on Monday.
where did you see that?
Buddy showed me this entwittering:
https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1314777961711759360

The summary is if you go to this URL for a B&R on Monday the 12th https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...er-12-2020-banned-and-restricted-announcement you get a "You are not authorized to access this page" message. But if you go to any random URL in the same structure there https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/october-12-2020-white-removed-from-game you get a "No result found" message. So that strongly implies there's a B&R article typed up and ready to go live on Monday.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kill Omnath only pls.

Clover can be teched easily against with artifact removal, teching against Omnath is killing the cobra and then try to win before turn 5, pretty much impossible unless your deck is degenerate aswell.

Alternatively kill Embercleave, Clover, Omnath and maybe even Cobra and we go into a truly new standard era.

Most likely ban probably Cobra, Omnath is a mythic and cobra a rare, and they have no other ways of hitting that deck. They need to tho. Fabled passage would probably not change much and banning their 5+ mana payoff cards would be hilariously off the mark.

Omnath's the guiltiest card of the lot. Cobra's powerful and annoying and an Omnath-enabler, but Omnath itself is the real bullshit where either your opponent has to untap with it, or he delays playing Omnath a turn so he can at least play it, draw a card to replace Omnath, heal 4, and fully refund Omnath's casting cost by playing and cracking a passage. Omnath's bullshit is also what makes the secondary cards so fucking powerful and annoying, like Escape to Whatever and Whatever Ultimatum and all that shit. Those are strong cards that saw a little play here and there before Omnath, but now they're no fucking brainers with his green ass. It's why I'm concerned they're not going to ban fucking Omnath and instead they'll try to ban some of the cards that are obscene WITH Omnath. Or Felidar's Retreat, that's another annoying payoff. Not dissimilar to FotD only in enchantment form.

Even Omnath itself wouldn't be quite as obnoxious if your opponent didn't draw a card off of it. I mean fuck, you remember all the bitching in here when Hydroid Krasis was printed? Drawing cards on cast so you can't even counter it to cockblock the card draw, and Krasis feels downright fucking reasonable these days. Especially the 2cmc cost so it's vulnerable to a lot of removal and bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom