Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Massive Fallout 3 coverage at NMA

WalterKinde

Scholar
damn the screens make the game look like a total conversion fan project of Oblivion set in the future more so than a totally First person/third person view fallout game.
Plus the answers to the questions are not encouraging either

Shoelip

Arbiter
Jedi_Learner said:
I wonder which setting Bethseda will rape next. Arcanum? Planescape Torment? :cry:

Bah, noob, the setting is called Planescape! Torment was the name of the game! NNOBBB!!! :P

On a more intelligent note; great preview! First one that hasn't made me cringe at the writer's own words.

Avin

Liturgist
They can't rape PS:T.

WOTC is getting all licenses back for 4ED and maybe, with the tunning of the game closer to MMORPGS, we're gonna see something o those lines.

Hope not tho.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Is it possible that it could be a piss poor sequal to Fallout while still being a decent rpg? Comparing it to Fallout is guaranteed to disappoint. To be honest, it sounds better then the endless deluge of action rpgs we've seen lately. I would be interested in seeing a review of its rpg merits rather then just its failures as a sequal. For many of us it will stand or fall on its own...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's possible. On a cRPG scale, it currently looks better than Oblivion, but not mind-blowingly impressive. Really need more details on that, tho'

Shoelip

Arbiter
Hey, they should have ripped off that thing where your dad looks like you for Two Worlds. The character I made has brown skin and light brown hair, but his twin sister has really pale skin and pitch black hair. The facial structure is wrong too. Figures.

Hm, I want to ask some questions, but I can't think of anything at the moment that you might be able to answer and haven't already.

Oh, I know! Do you think Pete suspected you?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Shoelip said:

He seemed to look up in some surprise when I told my name to Kat Osman (Lunch PR, who handle European PR for Bethesda), but other than that, no

NMA sold out.

300pxFO3Leipzig-Sellout.jpg

Deleted member 7219

Brother None said:
Shoelip said:

He seemed to look up in some surprise when I told my name to Kat Osman (Lunch PR, who handle European PR for Bethesda), but other than that, no

Wait, he knows your real name? That's a bit creepy.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Matt7895 said:
Wait, he knows your real name? That's a bit creepy.

I've been mailing him since the game was announced years ago, all my mails use my real name, not my nick.

You think he's going to send a ninja death squad after me?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I made a few harmless posts on the official forums, commenting on the NMA article. I had a lovely "RPG Codex" avatar (a reduced "logo" of the site), which I had for almost two years. Then I got this PM from Talaran:

Your avatar has been removed. Please choose a different avatar. Inappropriate links or censor bypasses aren't allowed in posts or in avatars. From the forum rules regarding avatars:

Your avatar cannot contain any inappropriate content. If it contradicts any of the rules listed above, odds are it isn't allowed. We will also remove avatars that are lewd, overly sexual in nature, and/or graphically violent. Personal Message (PM) a moderator if in doubt!

If you want to appeal this action, pm or email Gstaff, the Community Manager.

Talaran

Jesus Fucking Christ, eh?

suleo

Scholar
Use the multi-headed dick avatar. It might take them a while to figure it out.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Jesus Fucking Christ, eh?

As a grassroots action, me and a number of other posters had :codexdevil: as our avatar for some time.

For reasons unknown, it took the mods some time to react, then they removed them all. Though they didn't PM me a reason

Shoelip

Arbiter
Seriously, is it that freaky thing that looks like a cross between a d20 and a jack? What the hell is that?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
  • The lie didn't show a chance of success percentage as later dialogue options would (see conversation with Mr Burke on page 2), so it's possible this lie always fails.
Bad.

• the upper left corner, as the Oblivion pop up-style quest messages are apparently gone.
Good.

• It is worth noting here that the amount of on-screen NPC text never exceeded about 2.5 to 3 lines.
I'm not fussed by that. Good dialogue should be a back and forth question / answer type scenario rather than WAD OF TEXT TO EXPLAIN ENTIRE PLOT.

• Hines explains that the bobbleheads are easter eggs that boost your characteristics and that there's a Vault Boy bobblehead for every stat and every skill in the game.
Bobbleheads Good. Bobbleheads increasing Stats? Dumb.

• One interesting point here is that a large number of vault guards patrol the hallways, and during SuAside's demo one passed by the girl being harassed and completely ignored the situation.
Bad.

• Hines announces the PC's father, who was always there for him, has suddenly disappeared. This "is pretty jarring to me, because it's my dad."
LAME.

• A large, steampunkish robot arm with a pole/key extension is inserted into the upper-left corner of the door, and rolls it out to the right. As the PC leaves, the guards cry out "he's opening the door!" and call for someone to warn the overseer, draw their batons, but don't really do anything otherwise (not even moving).
Lame.

• Outside, the PC turns on his PipBoy flashlight, which has a kind of greenish light. Near the vault door are a few skeletal remains holding up signs saying "Let us in motherfuckers!" and the like
Now I'm all for some motherfucking swearing but this is just crass.

• Initially the light "blinds" the PC, making the entire world look blurry until your eyes adjust in about 5-10 seconds.
Brilliant.

• The sky was grey and dreary, which is how it remained all throughout the demo.
No trouble there. The sky in Oblivion was pretty much the same.

• Hines walks up to a pool of water and explains they're working hard at upgrading the Oblivion engine, including real water refraction and reflection.
Heavy focus on "ISN'T IT SHINY" syndrome, rather than real content.

• Taking a drink from the fire hydrant radiates [you] heavily at +150 rads per second
And then...

• These car explosions are noted by Hines to be "an effective tool in combat." Walking up to it, a warning is shown of +1 radiation per second, and Hines explains the radiation will disperse after a while.
Car explosion with nuclear material = +1 rad per second. Drinking radiated water = +150 rad per second. I THINK SOMEONE FUCKED UP.

Also, exploding nuclear car bombs = Lame. That'll get real old, real fast.

• Hines points out a new addition to their engine called "parallax occlusion mapping," a realistic per-pixel texture destruction model, which he shows by shooting into the concrete road, creating realistic bullet holes. He also notes it helps the artists create the look of ruined buildings and environment.
HEY MOM, ISN'T THAT NICE AND SHINY?

• Pete Hines explains that load times still need optimising but are already better than Oblivion, plus the game has load screens full of information
Yeah, that's what happens when you overload on the shiny.

• at least the sheriff had only one voice
Good.

• Turning the corner, the PC nears the front porch of an undesignated building, where some people are having a conversation. While I wasn't able to catch what they were talking about, Pete Hines explained that the new improved Radiant AI will mean that people carry on more realistic, personal conversations, referring to each other by name
"I saw a mudcrab the other day, Bob."

"Horribly creatures Bill, I avoid them whenever I can."

The improvements just keep on coming.

• He enters Moriarty's Bar, which has to load separately from the main area
They still can't figure that out. I would've thought they'd have this seamless by now but they just can't do it.

• Hines explains they licensed a number of 40s and 50s song for this purpose.
Awesome.

• After this the PC moves out and down into the subway tunnels, Hines explaining that "metro tunnels are, for lack of a better word, our dungeon-types for Fallout 3."
Dungeons? Cock.

• He points out that you can target the torso, arms, weapon, legs and head, each area having a different effect. Each area also has a percentage to hit which he notes is the same if you try aiming for an area in real time. The effects are also unique, headshots can blind, shooting someone in the leg can slow him down, etc.
Good.

• flipping through weapons in his inventory, which reveals the Vault Boy icon is shown with whatever weapon the player equips. The main stat here is DPS, Damage Per Second, which seems to be about 20-40 for the rifles
Damage per second? Let me guess, Bethesduh couldn't figure out how to make real guns so they just used the staff weapon code from Oblivion.

• later he enters a mini-game. In this mini-game you have a number of words, you have to guess which word is the password, and with each wrong pick the game will tell you how many letters were right.
LAME.

• Oblivion's style of level scaling is out.
YAY!

(Insert comment here about how Bethesduh leaving out a feature is a good thing).

• The supermutants were destroyed by the exploding car
Lamer.

• The BoS Paladins appear to have the behaviour of US army soldier clichés, swearing a lot and going "all right, now that's what I'm talking about!" and "that's how we do it Alliance style, you fucking freaks!" Very macho, very Rambo.
Bethesduh destroyed the Brotherhood of Steel? CHECK.

• He points out you're facing Megaton as he turns to a portable suitcase-remote detonator. Flipping the switch, you can see an enormous nuclear explosion in the distance, followed by a shockwave which hits the PC and Mr Burke. For some reason, no radiation is measured, and Pete Hines apparently forgot Bert's advice here: when blowing up a city with a nuclear bomb while inside its blast radius...Duck and cover!
So no matter what you do, Megaton explodes... AMIRITE? I mean, didn't the PC disarm that bomb?

• While a backstory is assured, Pete Hines also notes conversations with supermutants aren't an option
O'rly?

• We are in contact with those communities and they receive the same treatment as all the other communities.
You don't give a shit about us. That sounds about right for the treatment Bethesduh gives everyone.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Clicking the bomb reveals a number of options, including disarming and attaching the detonator, Hines opting for the latter.

Don't forget that this could all be bullshit. Just like the Oblivion demonstration video... Whether that's good or bad...

EliotW

Educated
DarkUnderlord said:
  • Initially the light "blinds" the PC, making the entire world look blurry until your eyes adjust in about 5-10 seconds.
Brilliant.

Definitely a cool touch but I can't help but think someone mentioned just that idea in the Black Isle days. Does the flavor text in F1 narrate something similar?

DarkUnderlord said:
  • Outside, the PC turns on his PipBoy flashlight, which has a kind of greenish light. Near the vault door are a few skeletal remains holding up signs saying "Let us in motherfuckers!" and the like
Now I'm all for some motherfucking swearing but this is just crass.

You really have to think before you start throwing out epithets. Unless you David Milch or you spend your days cursing your coworkers you probably don't know how to do it properly. I'm exceptionally wary of cursing in my own work for that reason.

DarkUnderlord said:
  • He enters Moriarty's Bar, which has to load separately from the main area

They still can't figure that out. I would've thought they'd have this seamless by now but they just can't do it.

That gets into that weird inside area is not the same shape or size as the building issue its also just so artificial.

Shoelip

Arbiter
That's a good question. Was the inside of the bar correctly proportioned to the outside?

Lumpy

Arcane
Initially the light "blinds" the PC, making the entire game look blurry.
Fixed.
Also, DU, he didn't disarm the bomb, he armed it. What's stupid is how Dr. Evil teleported to that tower. What's also stupid is that the player had to go to that particular tower, through a sewer full of mutants (which had nothing to do with the quest), when he could have easily gone, uh, the other way, back towards the vault.
I chuckled at Brother's comment about Junktown. It was probably a pretty stupid decision to surround the town with cars, since a single bullet would have caused a massive nucular explosion.

SuAside

Novice
MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Work
Lumpy said:
Also, we're a Fallout fan community? :?
a lot more than that obviously, but you do house a lot of fallout fans and provide them with a platform.

did you prefer i didnt mention RPGcodex at all? ;)

Brother None said:
PS: The Fatman had 11 nukes! ELEVEN!
yes, but likely only for demo purposes as Herr Hines said.

gc051360 said:
Did Pete tell you "But this one goes to eleven..."??
he didnt need to. the graphics spoke for him. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Jedi_Learner said:
I really wish Peter Hines would just shut the fuck up. Everytime he opens his mouth nothing but shit comes out. And I thought Russ Pitts was a fucking liar.
he's just a PR guy saying what seems best to him, but above all saying what has been fed to him.

suleo said:
Or maybe they catapulted themselves using the nuclear catapult? I mean it's a NUCLEAR catapult, its range should be better than a lowly trebuchet.
it was funny to see the projectile drop on that thing.

the bomb is about mortarsized and the arc at which it flies is rather low.

personally, i wouldnt have minded a nuclear bazooka too much, IF it had very long range and rather big destructive radius and lasting radiation. something to perhaps wipe out a base of raiders in one go from afar? but the implementation is pretty hilariously silly.

KreideBein said:
Anyway, that was a superlative preview, especially compared to all of the previews which were published by the major game journalism outlets like Gamespot and the like. Great job, Kharn and SuAside.
our pleasure ;)

Shoelip said:
not much to 'suspect' really.

as said before, Pete didnt flinch when i said i visited NMA nor when i mentioned NMA, RPGcodex and DaC by name.

and i was there legitimately.
POOPERSCOOPER said:
NMA sold out.
for 2 T-shirts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom