Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Kevin Saunders has colon cancer and his odds of beating it don't look great. :(

My god the awkward silences Matt gives him, and then doesn't want to go into the details of cancer at all and looks to switching the subject. Holy crap.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well yeah, it's a gaming interview show and Kevin dropped that IRL bomb right at the beginning. I'm not sure he really wanted or expected to have a long talk about it (why go on Matt Chat to talk about your cancer) and Matt suspected that he didn't want it, and it left the conversation in a position where it was unclear how to proceed and awkward to move on. I'm sure a more verbally nimble interviewer would have dealt with it better, of course.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Interview with Winston Douglas Wood of Phantasie, Star Command and (cough) Starfire (cough) fame.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
People underestimate how many games are missing from GOG because the rights holders are just mentally checked out and "out of the game". A volunteer middleman/trusted party willing to do the work can do a lot of good here, because GOG aren't going to do it themselves.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Boleskine

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
The next interview in the Matt Chat Renaissance is with Brian Heins from Obsidian:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I have a question, but it's too long for twitter.

Compare BG and POE prologues in terms of dramatic character arcs.

In BG, your foster father gets killed by a mysterious stranger, and you find out that you're a child of a god.
This creates a need for your character to find out who's after you, and there's a serious promise of greatness ahead because of your divine heritage. In short, it's FUCKING INTRIGUING.

In POE you find out that you're a "watcher". Real life analogy: you suddenly find out that you're a train spotter -- is that supposed to excite anyone's imagination?

So my question is, who thought this up and why do they still have a job?

hello friend

Arcane
There's nothing intriguing about divine heritage plots.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
There's nothing intriguing about divine heritage plots.
When characters have characteristics that we'd like to have ourselves, that's called "engaging".

If you wouldn't like to have super powers, you're either a liar or have something wrong with you.

hello friend

Arcane
If that were true marvel capeshit would be engaging, too. But it's not.

Special chosen one heritage is a tired plot device. It's pretty fucking close to the bottom of the barrel.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Special chosen one heritage is a tired plot device. It's pretty fucking close to the bottom of the barrel.
You're being overly brutal, my friend, but I can see your point.

I agree that the 'special superpowered chosen one' plot device is located pretty close to the bottom of the barrel.

But if one's taste is located at the very bottom, it does feel engaging and intriguing.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Ohhh yeaaah, chosen one bad. Case in point: PST, BG, Dark Souls, Kotor are all shit games. Edgy! You're so edgy, wow, like House MD. All girls will want you. Just keep on with your nasal whining and you'll absolutely see a girl's pussy some day, I'm sure.

hello friend

Arcane

Ohhh yeaaah, chosen one bad. Case in point: PST, BG, Dark Souls, Kotor are all shit games. Edgy! You're so edgy, wow, like House MD. All girls will want you. Just keep on with your nasal whining and you'll absolutely see a girl's pussy some day, I'm sure.
You're just being weird at this point.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

In this third segment, the great Winston Douglas Wood chats about the final Phantasie games. We chat about some of the more intriguing mechanics such as limb loss and parents for your characters. We also talk about the development of Phantasie IV in Japan and why it wasn't released in the US. Finally, we chat about Star Command and its relationship (or lack thereof) to SSI's other SF games such as Buck Rogers.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Winston has never actually played Phantasie IV!

One more episode left. Matt will be recording the interview with Brian Heins tomorrow.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
One more episode left.
Looking forward to that episode, because it's something that Codex (unfortunately) missed in the interview with Toshio Sato and Mr. Wood. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom