Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Dhaze

Cipher
As any trve barbarian should, for he knows bashing heads in is an art.

Dhaze

Cipher
Unfortunately no.

Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure why the game is called Mechajammer. At the very end of the game you can use a jammer to rid yourself of two or three powerful enemies, but it's a big stretch to call them 'mechs'.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
How do you conclude it's a good idea to sell your house to fund the game if your vision is so vague that you couldn't even decide on the art style

Dhaze

Cipher
Probably planned to have mechs at some point during development, in one of the 12 art styles, in the 23rd design iteration.

Yeah, there's about 99% chance that's the reason. Kinda sad, really; as far as titles go, Copper Dreams had a very nice novel-like ring to it.

How do you conclude it's a good idea to sell your house to fund the game if your vision is so vague that you couldn't even decide on the art style

Unshakeable faith in one's project? The pernicious creeping of sunk cost fallacy? Sheer bull-headedness? We'll probably never know. But I don't envy the devs one bit, as it can't have been an easy period in their lives.

Dhaze

Cipher
Wait, seriously? Holy hell, what amount of content did they throw away? It's incredible.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Unshakeable faith in one's project? The pernicious creeping of sunk cost fallacy? Sheer bull-headedness? We'll probably never know. But I don't envy the devs one bit, as it can't have been an easy period in their lives.
Sounds terrible. Many such cases with small businesses around 2020. I hope they somehow find a way to recover in the future.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Ultimately a ton of good ideas were there. But they didn't have the ability to follow through with them I think. Not for lack of skill or desire, but lack of manpower.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ultimately a ton of good ideas were there. But they didn't have the ability to follow through with them I think. Not for lack of skill or desire, but lack of manpower.
Nah, lack of skill = lack of manpower. There is a lot of games that were finished, not buggy and awesome with 1 to 2 people working on them.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lack of any kind of reasonable time and scope management IS lack of skill.
In addition, not completely changing your whole art and game design multiple times during development is certainly also some kind of skill, not sure what it's called...

You make games for a living, you have to at least be decent at that stuff or you'll either end up with one of those endless early access titles that receive one update per half year or with something like this.

Codex Year of the Donut
from reading this thread I got the impression a few unfinished game prototypes were just thrown out and they started over almost from scratch

buffalo bill

Arcane
for a few months there was a playable and fun deathmatch alpha build, which does not at all resemble the finished game. I wish they would just put that deathmatch game out tbh

Dhaze

Cipher
It would be so interesting, and such a bold owning-one's-mistakes move on the devs part, if they suddenly published a bundle of every major build they've worked on during Mechajammer's development, along with an in-depth post-mortem of the final product.

Damn it. I'm so discomfited I never got answers to my many many many many questions.

What's up with the save files; am I right in thinking that it's such a bloated mess because they implemented it almost at the last minute, since for long they had decided upon a system without manual saves?

Why can the spear, when used in melee, hit—with a delay—enemies at the other end of the screen; am I right in thinking that when they extended the spear's range in a patch, they did so by giving it a hidden projectile as if a gun bullet?

Is the fact that the devs never answered me on Discord due to them being aware of this thread, and now they think I'm the worst kind of shithead? :lol:

So many questions; so few answers.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is the fact that the devs never answered me on Discord due to them being aware of this thread, and now they think I'm the worst kind of shithead? :lol:
That would be pretty fucked if so considering there's a lot of codexers who backed the game, some at the higher figure marks.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Really ? That's shitty man. But I guess it says a lot about the care and attention given to a game when its developers don't care about what the only guy who made it through and tried as hard as he can to like the game has to say. Incompetency to the end.

Dhaze

Cipher
That would be pretty fucked if so considering there's a lot of codexers who backed the game, some at the higher figure marks.

At least those who funded the Kickstarter and received a physical edition of Mechajammer can boast of owning a strange piece of gaming history.

Really ? That's shitty man. But I guess it says a lot about the care and attention given to a game when its developers don't care about what the only guy who made it through and tried as hard as he can to like the game has to say. Incompetency to the end.

I received various answers from the three or four other guys who frequented the Discord at the time, and the moderator was very friendly and helpful. But alas, no, the developers themselves didn't answer my @.

Fun fact: on that Discord I briefly talked with a guy about Escape From New-York; then shortly after that, the last time I checked, Hannah was talking about organizing a viewing of Escape From New-York. So I guess that at least got her attention. Perhaps if I talked to Kurt Russell and asked him to contact Whalenought with my questions, then I'd get answers? "Hey, mister Russell, great movies and all that, but, uh... could you do me a solid?"

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I pinged them sometime in 2021 and didn't get any response. I hope they're alright.
Well, they're pretty big dorks (I don't know them, but seriously) - I'd be highly surprised if they didn't find the way things turned out to be pretty disheartening and embarrassing. It can be pretty hard to deal with that in a public sphere. Especially if you're dealing with internet edgelords.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom