Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mechajammer Kickstarter Update #38: Gameplay Trailer

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think this art style is a slow burner that may grow on you, even if it doesn’t quite cause that wow effect right out of the gates, whereas the original was just trying to appeal to nostalgyfags.

Or I’m coping :)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm always interested in the process of other devs, so would really, really appreciate a postmortem on this. But that's probably wishful thinking as they're going to be busy for the foreseeable future.

Also, none of my business but curious if they got a cash injection at some point. 6(?) years of dev on a ~$40k kickstarter is way below poverty level.

Curratum

The old shots look disgusting. The new artstyle works fine and is actually distinctive, unlike the "low-budget Fallout 2" horror of the original.

VGMG

Novice
Would you look at that, they changed the conversation bubbles. I'm not sure it's quite there yet, for me at least, but definitely an improvement; albeit a superfluous one.
This particular trailer reminded me a lot of the Cyberpunk 2077 ones; I hope, for their sake, the launch is anything but.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
This looks better than I expected tbh. I genuinely love the late 90s mix of 2d sprites and 3d environment. Not only from old fps like duke or doom but from consoles games as well, from STON, Dragonforce or guardian heroes and bulk slash, to even other games which had to rely on 2d assets which people think look bad, but I find cardboard 2d sprites charming as fuck.

Generic-Giant-Spider

!BREAKING NEWS!

I am currently on site here at the RPG Codex DOT net and I am being told that... listens into earpiece okay... yes... no... NO... oh my god. I'm being told that RPG Codex DOT net user, Renaissance man and beloved staple of the greater RPG community, Darkozric, will NOT be purchasing Mechajammer!

This comes as a huge shock to me and many others I'm sure. I mean bringing up this instant replay footage you can see it was about right... here... that he decided to drop this, well, it's really a bombshell decision isn't it? He did not just give this a light pass, a soft pass, or a hallway pass, it was a HARD pass.

At this point I am left wondering, "where do we go from here?" I mean any way you look at it, no Darkozric on board, this is a huge loss. How will Whalenought respond? Well be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more updates as they trickle in.

489542_191477_800_533_jpg.jpg

Again as you can see from our action camera live, it's a very chaotic scene here that has erupted into violence since Darkozric announced a HARD PASS on Mechajammer.

Back to you, Infinitron.

Last edited by a moderator:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also, none of my business but curious if they got a cash injection at some point. 6(?) years of dev on a ~$40k kickstarter is way below poverty level.

It sounded like they flipped a house (maybe more than one?).

We had purchased a pre-sale house outside the city with Serpent sales when we had moved, to live in for cheap during development, tidy up landscaping and be a safe bet to sell in a growing area for a bit of extra income to go along with the next kickstarter. We actually closed last weekend, we had the offer we wanted the next morning after putting it up, so it went a lot faster than we expected and lost a couple weeks in the short term, but making that up now. Got a modest amount to keep development going smoothly though, and we are relieved of our cabin fever.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Was the earlier version better ?
There were plenty of art styles changed they attempted with this game actually, though I think all of the playable betas are with the final style.
I was referring to their earlier game, Serpent in the staglands. This artstyle appears to be a 3d version of that game, except sci fi rather than fantasy.
There was an arena-style beta that was in what IIRC looked like cel-shaded 3D and a different mud palette.

Gradenmayer

Learned
I mean, it looked good in all iterations from my point of view, but swapping them around one by one, instead of focusing on the gameplay, story and content sounds like a really retarded way to spend 6 years of dev time.

Will buy it. But, this is probably one of those 10 hour long pseudo-rpgs with questionable quality of writing and gameplay (with 3-rd act being a visible point of them running out of time and money).

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
!BREAKING NEWS!

I am currently on site here at the RPG Codex DOT net and I am being told that... listens into earpiece okay... yes... no... NO... oh my god. I'm being told that RPG Codex DOT net user, Renaissance man and beloved staple of the greater RPG community, Darkozric, will NOT be purchasing Mechajammer!

This comes as a huge shock to me and many others I'm sure. I mean bringing up this instant replay footage you can see it was about right... here... that he decided to drop this, well, it's really a bombshell decision isn't it? He did not just give this a light pass, a soft pass, or a hallway pass, it was a HARD pass.

At this point I am left wondering, "where do we go from here?" I mean any way you look at it, no Darkozric on board, this is a huge loss. How will Whalenought respond? Well be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more updates as they trickle in.

489542_191477_800_533_jpg.jpg

Again as you can see from our action camera live, it's a very chaotic scene here that has erupted into violence since Darkozric announced a HARD PASS on Mechajammer.

Back to you, Infinitron.

Lol, there is no camera with riots only a triggered conceited idiot who has found time to write a pathetic and pointless text for nothing. You're the epitome of a butthurtfag and a retarded one who thinks that he's funny. I used to see these kind of retarded comments on the RPGwatch shithole of pussies, are you sure you belong here little generic coprophilous?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Lol, there is no camera with riots only a triggered conceited idiot who has found time to write a pathetic and pointless text for nothing. You're the epitome of a butthurtfag and a retarded one who thinks that he's funny. I used to see these kind of retarded comments on the RPGwatch shithole of pussies, are you sure you belong here little generic coprophilous?

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

Come back to face what, your retardation or your tasteless "humor"? No thanks, I'm ok.
Go have a threesome now with the other "news" shitposter so you can feel better.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Come back to face what, your retardation or your tasteless "humor"? No thanks, I'm ok.
Go have a threesome now with the other "news" shitposter so you can feel better.

!BREAKING NEWS UPDATE!

I'm glad to announce that we have located Darkozric and as you can see from the picture provided he is using his influence and power in the RPG community to really kind of, really kind of weaponize the people around him. Now before showing this captured footage on behalf of the RPG Codex News Network I do forewarn our younger audiences at home that what you're about to see is disturbing imagery.

2164429.jpg

Above: Darkozric, HARD PASSER of Mechajammer, highly valued RPG Community oracle, leader of the Crimson Jihad and believed to be involved in up to sixteen disappearances of young boys dating back to the 1980s.

We've yet to receive word from Whalenought Studios and whether or not they plan to meet Darkozric's list of demands which includes changing the art style for the twentieth time and including non-binary romance options. He HAS threatened that if these demands are not met, the HARD PASS will remain and as Darkozric himself says and I quote, "For every day I am not answered I will molest another adolescent boy. I will give this child a real MECHA-SLAMMER!"

Real serious stuff here developing. As always you can follow us on Twitter and Facebook and maybe, maybe gives us your thoughts on the matter? Let us hear from you with the hashtag #HARDPASS or #DarkozricRapesBoys and tell us what you think. Again that is either hashtag #HARDPASS or hashtag #DarkozricRapesBoys. Minors will need their parents permission and possibly law enforcement nearby to comment.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming. We'll see you at 11.

I think I've liked all iterations of the art style but I wish we actually knew more about the game itself and the new name? Hate it, sounds like indie shovelware. Copper Dreams was very evocative. It least it didn't end up as MegaDisco Jam or something, I guess.

grimace

Arcane
this is atually really nice keybinding UI design.

I shared the setting screens to show the graphics settings and resolution. Also, note the controller icon remains. I haven't tested gameplay with a controller.

I'm interesting in seeing a screenshot of the map at 5120x2888.

Low Quality option enrsures the game runs on lower spec machines. That might also disable the bloom and blur seen in the trailers.

I had been testing at 1280x720 on my laptop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom