Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline meh Ubisoft (Ubi fuckery general thread)

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Putting ads in games is ALWAYS stupid because it means the game will be fucked in fifteen years when it's time to port, like Crazy Taxi. I wouldn't use licensed music for the same reason, unless it was a game that needed it, like Crazy Taxi.
Games like Crazy taxi and Tony hawk are defined by their licensed music as much as the gameplay. You would have much worse games without The Offspring going yah yah yah yah yah.

The new Ubisoft+ and getting gamers comfortable with not owning their games

"One of the things we saw is that gamers are used to, a little bit like DVD, having and owning their games. That's the consumer shift that needs to happen. They got comfortable not owning their CD collection or DVD collection. That's a transformation that's been a bit slower to happen [in games]. As gamers grow comfortable in that aspect… you don't lose your progress. If you resume your game at another time, your progress file is still there. That's not been deleted. You don't lose what you've built in the game or your engagement with the game. So it's about feeling comfortable with not owning your game.
"I still have two boxes of DVDs. I definitely understand the gamers perspective with that. But as people embrace that model, they will see that these games will exist, the service will continue, and you'll be able to access them when you feel like. That's reassuring.​
Link

E6wvXBOXIAQL5pS
Isn't the future supposed to be subscription services any way?
I grew up during the arcade era (the original microtransaction model).

Even the "cloud" concept is just a new take on the "time-sharing" model that was previously common in the IT world before client-server computing took over.

Everything old is new again as they say...

Mortmal

Arcane
I've never played a Ubisoft game. Should I?
You can get Assassin's Creed for a few euros or even free nowadays, even relatively new ones. It beats watching TV; you should try the first ones. Then on quest 2 assassin creed vr is pretty good.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
You should only try the Ubisoft games people are recommending if you have nothing else to play whatsoever and you were given an ultimatum between playing a video game or watching your family being boiled alive in a cauldron.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I remember Far Cry 3 being decent for the time. But that's before open world was every where so it might be different now. Ubisoft games are rarely bad, they're just very bland and samey. They rarely do anything really terrible or really great as long as you look past the story sections going on too long and the writers thinking they're smarter than they are.

Elttharion

Learned
You should only try the Ubisoft games people are recommending if you have nothing else to play whatsoever and you were given an ultimatum between playing a video game or watching your family being boiled alive in a cauldron.
Anno is good even if you compare the series to others in the genre. 1404 and 1800 are legitimately great games.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane

The new Ubisoft+ and getting gamers comfortable with not owning their games

"One of the things we saw is that gamers are used to, a little bit like DVD, having and owning their games. That's the consumer shift that needs to happen. They got comfortable not owning their CD collection or DVD collection. That's a transformation that's been a bit slower to happen [in games]. As gamers grow comfortable in that aspect… you don't lose your progress. If you resume your game at another time, your progress file is still there. That's not been deleted. You don't lose what you've built in the game or your engagement with the game. So it's about feeling comfortable with not owning your game.
"I still have two boxes of DVDs. I definitely understand the gamers perspective with that. But as people embrace that model, they will see that these games will exist, the service will continue, and you'll be able to access them when you feel like. That's reassuring.​
Link
Check Ubi's Early Life.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
If you've completely avoided the open world craze I'd give it a spin. Ubisoft's problem is they beat their own formula into the ground with yearly releases and cross-polinating ideas across different franchises and genres. There's a reason why "climbing towers to reveal parts of the map" became so ridiculed and despised.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
If you've completely avoided the open world craze I'd give it a spin. Ubisoft's problem is they beat their own formula into the ground with yearly releases and cross-polinating ideas across different franchises and genres. There's a reason why "climbing towers to reveal parts of the map" became so ridiculed and despised.
They even made it worse over time. Current Ubisoft towers just exist and you interact to get the map. Older ones were mini jumping puzzles and required you to find your way up. It got dumbed down even more than towers original idea.

the problem isn't the form itself, the open-worldness, it's how maps are built: they're not maps, they're character-skill sized series of blocks. you're never left wondering if you can reach some place, it's always and only a matter of how, because everything, *everything*, is conveniently distanced. so artificial it hurts. suspension of disbelief dies in 30 seconds.

by the way, i've been told ubi stock down 20% just today.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
the problem isn't the form itself, the open-worldness, it's how maps are built: they're not maps, they're character-skill sized series of blocks. you're never left wondering if you can reach some place, it's always and only a matter of how, because everything, *everything*, is conveniently distanced. so artificial it hurts. suspension of disbelief dies in 30 seconds.

by the way, i've been told ubi stock down 20% just today.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Ubiso...ers-no-longer-need-to-own-games.794937.0.html

With Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, Ubisoft was able to reap successful sales right at the start of the year. Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (Notebookcheck benchmark tests here) also seems to be going down well with gamers. Despite these successes, Ubisoft's share price has fallen sharply: by around 8% on January 16. One day later, the Ubisoft share lost a further 5%, bringing the total drop to around 12%.

From the comment section:

hugh mungus​

xx.png
January 20, 2024, 19:44:45

Let me preface this by saying that I dislike Ubisoft heavily.

BUT the share price drop for Ubisoft had nothing to do with this. The entirety of the French stock market and other European markets was down approx. the same rate over the week due to moves the European Central Bank was making.

This is just poor journalism and shows a lack of financial literacy.

Gerrard

Arcane
Record year after losing 75% value over 5 years. It's crazy that Guillemot is still the CEO.

Iucounu

Educated

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom