Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline MENACE - sci-fi turn-based tactical RPG from Battle Brothers devs

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
i don't want to side with xenos and pirates
Where do people get that "aliens you can ally with" -part?
I thought system was divided between pirates, regular- and corporate military forces, with titular Menace and player being the outside actors.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah. Crazy. You know what game had a bunch of female soldiers of various races get generated and assigned to your squad? X-Com. Total wokey bullshit, amirite?
YES. Not sure if wokery, but I always look for mods that reduce that quota. One such mod made Xenonauts 10000000% more immersive, seeing as it takes place during the 80s, too.
It's procedural generation being procedural generation. Gangsters: Organized Crime had the same thing and it was by no means a woke game.
Sure, but they put that generation at 50/50, which makes no sense. 10/90 perhaps.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds like a generic plot we have seen so many times

Did Battle Brothers have a plot at all?
Battle Brothers lore/metaplot speculation: https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleBrot...ent_seen_much_in_terms_of_comprehensive_lore/

It has a setting for sure, but it's basically a sandbox with a general progression, not really a story/plot thing. Some games simply don't have plots, just a general setting or theme.

Shaki

Arbiter
Why should I change my answer if "you're stupid" is more than enough to describe you?

Than, obviosly, as always, stupid people like you think that being a crying baby that rape literature and grammar to make (apparently) fun of something, makes you an high-level savant who knows more than others.

Rofl, not only a dumbfuck, but also a walking, talking fedora. What happened for you to leave reddit and somehow find yourself here? Not getting enough updoots for talking like a pompous 14 years old, who just read his first book last week and needs to share his new-found mastery of language with everyone? +M

mediocrepoet

Patron
Something about the Old Empire and Undead Legions, and your main character being the False King (or at least, from False King's bloodline) mentioned by Ancient Legionnaries.

So... no, or at least not a strong or even a particularly well defined one.

That's essentially my point, re: preliminary whining about plot stuff for this game. Storyfags are cancer.

Vincente

Arbiter
Something about the Old Empire and Undead Legions, and your main character being the False King (or at least, from False King's bloodline) mentioned by Ancient Legionnaries.

That's essentially my point, re: preliminary whining about plot stuff for this game. Storyfags are cancer.
Well, I think what I mentioned counts as a plot, but Battle Brothers is so open ended that you can finish the Undead Invasion crisis without even getting the flashback events (where you read a scene from the eyes of the Old Emperor, talking with your consort, where they explain how the Ancient Legions came to be), or fighting a single battle, or that rare event with the fortune teller where she talks about you being the False King (and get a named dagger), you just have to survive the crisis and you've "won" the game, so to speak.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Well, I think what I mentioned counts as a plot, but Battle Brothers is so open ended that you can finish the Undead Invasion crisis without even getting the flashback events (where you read a scene from the eyes of the Old Emperor, talking with your consort, where they explain how the Ancient Legions came to be), or fighting a single battle, or that rare event with the fortune teller where she talks about you being the False King (and get a named dagger), you just have to survive the crisis and you've "won" the game, so to speak.

That's fine, but as I say, it's not particularly strong or well defined. The fact that you can miss it, not be aware of it, aren't constrained by it, don't need to interact with it in any manner, and that it has no real bearing on much of anything in the game is enough to prove that in my mind.

Reinhardt

Arcane

or not even getting undead crisis at all

rare event with the fortune teller where she talks about you being the False King (and get a named dagger),
Wasn't it a hexe?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Battle Brothers' story elements are by design in the background. Players can interact with them or not. The "canon captain" is money driven and wants to keep his company alive (he assumes command after its near-annihilation). So the captain operates as a sort of anti-story tool and simply no-sells plot points. It also drives home one of the key themes which is that a dude in a very violent, very low information world would be so far out of his depth at all times he just wouldn't be bothered to pause and contemplate bigger matters. You see this with events like the giant statue, the fucking around with the Golden Goose, the implied teleportation device in the tower, the Undead Scourge events, etc., or some quest turn-ins where some of the Bigger Fish ponder a "would you like to know more?" and the captain simply says no and takes his payment and leaves. Originally this was intended to keep the writing in line with the gameplay loop, but I think in the end it did give the captain an endearing character, at least in my opinion.

Hydro

Educated
So to summarize:

We get an XCOM in space, that will be much easier than BB, but has better graphics and a bunch of nigger wamyn soldiers to lead. Yay!

That's why I always say pirate good games. This is exactly what happens when devs get a taste of money. They want more and more, and the easiest way to get it is to make their games easier, more woke, and "better" looking. Keep good devs poor, that's the only way they can keep making prestigious games. Money corrupts.
A very stupid take, I want to reward the devs for the good game they already made which I enjoy playing. What then they decide do afterwards, will be a whole new ballgame - I can either decide to purchase it, or if it's not to my taste - not to buy it.
That's just your sorry ass excuse for pirating. Would have made a lot more sense if you'd said don't crowd-fund/kickstart.
Games are art, and best artists are hungry artists. It's as true now, as it was centuries ago. Best games are created by struggling outcasts, working tirelessly in their basements, fueled by pure passion and autism. You reward them by enjoying their creations, and protecting their artistic souls from getting corrupted by money.
It’s a myth tho. The majority of good art was made by pros making their living with art. Greatest games were done by business minded people.

Exception is music, which has seen a lot of bedroom geniuses. They didn’t succeed in making money tho.

Vincente

Arbiter
Would you have liked to write an origin where you had to chase the "bigger plot" like the Oathtakers ambitions have them chase a set story plot (this being Oathbringers), but instead the captain tries to follow the clues about the giant not!Constantine statue, Undead Scourge etc, sser ?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Would you have liked to write an origin where you had to chase the "bigger plot" like the Oathtakers ambitions have them chase a set story plot (this being Oathbringers), but instead the captain tries to follow the clues about the giant not!Constantine statue, Undead Scourge etc, sser ?

Given the gameplay loop, I like the plot being for the player to consume moreso than engaged with by in-game characters. However, one thing I wanted was a possibility for the individual backgrounds to have "endings." That would be somewhat story-adjacent. The simplest example of this would be the Squire becoming a Knight; the Historian becomes a Scribe and maybe reveals a unique location; etc. My thinking behind that was to give more incentive to leveling up BG's to max or near-max and to add more flavor to the bros. You get quasi-versions of this with the Swordmaster becoming old, the King's Guard event, and I suppose the Witch Hunter solution to the Hoggart story. I have a ton of other ideas, but they're more for a BB2 than the current iteration.

Vincente

Arbiter
However, one thing I wanted was a possibility for the individual backgrounds to have "endings." That would be somewhat story-adjacent. The simplest example of this would be the Squire becoming a Knight; the Historian becomes a Scribe and maybe reveals a unique location; etc.
It would have been really cool to see your Lone Wolf origin given Squire become a Knight, maybe after you retire, or as an event.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battle Brothers 2 you say
thinking.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Battle Brothers' story elements are by design in the background. Players can interact with them or not. The "canon captain" is money driven and wants to keep his company alive (he assumes command after its near-annihilation). So the captain operates as a sort of anti-story tool and simply no-sells plot points. It also drives home one of the key themes which is that a dude in a very violent, very low information world would be so far out of his depth at all times he just wouldn't be bothered to pause and contemplate bigger matters. You see this with events like the giant statue, the fucking around with the Golden Goose, the implied teleportation device in the tower, the Undead Scourge events, etc., or some quest turn-ins where some of the Bigger Fish ponder a "would you like to know more?" and the captain simply says no and takes his payment and leaves. Originally this was intended to keep the writing in line with the gameplay loop, but I think in the end it did give the captain an endearing character, at least in my opinion.
Btw, how much of this is in the books you wrote? Does it follow the same theme?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Btw, how much of this is in the books you wrote? Does it follow the same theme?

The books are mostly through the eyes of a witch hunter so as to key into the more supernatural elements now and again. Same thematics, though, especially as the view broadens and more characters start getting introduced. The first book starts with a witch hunt and many have found to it to be excessively violent, but I wanted to set a tone of...

Guy has an insanely dangerous job --> rest of society doesn't give a shit, which is very much in keeping with the BB atmosphere.

If you want a listen I still have a bunch of US/UK audible keys on hand :lol:

I was hoping to do a full comic run, but can't find any biters on the project. The comic's script follows the canon company itself as seen through the eyes of the "scavenger" camp follower. That's the BB side-project I really wanted to dive into.

Here were the first six pages as a test run:

https://www.scribd.com/document/705067528/The-Scavenger?secret_password=CBKuXggQXYsPSeuATSeo

Also this is derailing the thread a bit, I think.

Vulpes

Scholar
Into the trash bin. Germans keep excelling at destroying themselves.
Perfect parity between sexes and all of them diverse. Textbox WOKE with Cuckservative flavour. She's black general cyber ninja lesbian. AND votes for Trump XVI!

/Thread: Unfollowed
Hooded Horse: Cuckservative Publisher. WOKE with anesthesia of good gameplay. Thanks, but No
Okay, so there's at least one black woman, what if... get this... she only fucks white guys? I'd say that's pretty based :cool:

Reinhardt

Arcane
i think it's just to show art of different human races. maybe it's like wh40 - very different cultures on different planetes. i mean shaneequa looks more like allahu akbar than proper military.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom