Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline MENACE - sci-fi turn-based tactical RPG from Battle Brothers devs

Sweeper

Arcane
Portraits of soldiers will tell us everything.
Now, now, we all know the quality of a game can most easily be seen in the UI and inventory.
If the UI and inventory don't look autistic as fuck, it ain't a good game.
Speaking of which, where the fuck is they for this MENACE thing?

ropetight

Savant
The visuals sure are nice. I like that they took a semi realistic approach, instead of making it cartoony. Cool ragdolls as well, didn't expect that. Something I really missed from JA3.
Starting to like it more and more.
Like the limited points for equipping units for campaigns and promotion system - it reminds me of... Panzer General?
I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

Hydro

Educated
A comparison the Codex will love: https://www.gamesradar.com/menace-preview-august-2024/

This turn-based game looks like tactical Mass Effect, and it's all down to the"light RPG" mechanics​

Gamescom 2024 |I don't even play turn-based tactics games, but I'm sold on Menace already

Menace gamescom 2024

(Image credit: Hooded Horse)

A guy in a mech suit charges forward and swiftly obliterates a swathe of masked enemies. All it takes is a spray of bullets. As Overhype Studios creative director Paul Taaks zooms in a little closer for me to admire the carnage he's carving out in Menace, I let out a whoop of delight. The smoking corpses of the enemy forces sit in a satisfying heap, and as he zooms back out to initiate a tactical airstrike on another band of ne'er-do-wells in the center of the map, I sit back to enjoy the show.

At first glance, Menace is not the kind of game you'd associate with one of the best RPGs of all time. Yet somehow, something about how Taaks is pitching it leaves me shouting three words: tactical Mass Effect. Paired with the fact that Menace is taking a slightly more narrative approach to the turn-based tactics proceedings than in the developer's wildly popular Battle Brothers, this pivot toward something familiar is effortlessly selling me on a whole new genre.

No man's land​

Menace gamescom 2024

Decisions, you say? Light roleplay elements, you say? I'm the commander of a naval fleet, out to build alliances, develop a rapport with my crew, and ultimately become the savior the galaxy has always needed, you say? I'm talking about Menace here, not Mass Effect. Though really, I think it's okay if you don't believe me.

Taaks explains the overall style and shape of a typical Menace playthrough to me as we hang out in a hotel suite, a welcome oasis mere feet away from the comparatively heaving Kolnmesse, and it's clear that it's still very much a turn-based tactical combat game. Much as in Battle Brothers, strategy is king in Menace, with the "light-RPG" story elements playing more of a supporting role.

Still, the fact that they are there at all is what makes me lean in that much closer to the TV screen. There's a political framework underpinning Menace, Taaks explains of the player character's incentive to get involved with the galaxy's myriad factions and militarily subdivisions at all. Choosing alliances wisely is crucial, he says, as is balancing how you spend utility points to upgrade your ship: the grand TCRN Impetus, kitted out with enough guns, rockets, and medbays to rival the Normandy by quite a mile. There are NPC relationships to monitor and watch blossom (or collapse, if one of your squad leaders dies in action), and hanging out with your crew to have a post-mission beer in the officer's mess is on the cards, too. He even lets on how Overhype is taking inspiration from the 1984 Terminator movie when it comes to the frankly too-sick-to-be-true "mech zombies" that players will be battling. Tick, tick, and another tick in my books.

Menace gamescom 2024

(Image credit: Hooded Horse)

I hoped to to see these bad brutes in action when we step into a combat encounter, but alas, I'm met with some militarily foes in their army gear. No matter, because this forested battleground is about to be ours. As Taaks sets up the field, explaining some basic tactical approaches he'll be taking, he reinforces the studio's interest in keeping the game accessible to new players as well as tactical-RPG vets. From tutorials to ship modules earned by gaining the trust of various factions, it's clear that Menace wants to facilitate players to enjoy the game on their own terms.

Your chosen ship build influences everything out on the field, from how fast your squad leaders heal up by prioritizing medical facilities to sheer brute force if you're a firm believer in offense being the best defense. Taaks walks me through everything he does on-screen and what it means for players, from staying hidden until an opportune moment to how heavy losses or jubilant victories affect the crew themselves. We come away from the battle fairly unscathed, thanks to Taaks' skilled strategic mastery, resulting in an Overconfident mech driver who will be taking increased damage as a trade-off for dealing just as much extra damage in the next battle.

I never thought I'd say it about tactical RPGs, but I'm kind of definitely hooked. Already, Menace is checking a great many boxes for me – and I'm not even a turn-based tactics gamer. With the game set to launch into early access, hopefully soon in the not-too distant future, I'm already thinking about putting a tactical spin on roleplaying when I sit down to my first campaign. And yes, I'll be calling myself Commander Shepard and pretending the end of Mass Effect 3 never happened.
What is it exactly you didn’t understand in the sentence “fuck off nigger”?

Shaki

Arbiter
“A big problem in Battle Brothers for us was that in the later game it was impossible to make light armor viable, because it was just worse,” they say. “With this system, there is still an incentive to make, say, a squad that just has a grenade launcher, because if they stay out of sight and don’t get shot, they don’t need armor, and you can save those points to invest into something else.”
Why is light armor not being viable a problem? It indeed is just worse - an early game item you get rid off as soon as you can get something better.

They're not even right about light armor being straight up worse. It's not. The only reason why nimble was seen as inferior option, was that for a long time after release, adrenaline/recover cycling existed and invalidated both fatigue and initiative systems. Since they fixed it, it took some time for players to change old habits, but consistently more and more people noticed nimble is actually stupid OP, and by now it's pretty much replaced BF as a meta build for most bros.

BF does offer better EHP on average, but only with famed gear, + the bro needs to be a beast to fully use its potential without sacrificing too much in other aspects. But for 99% of brothers you find, even in the late game nimble builds are straight up better because they provide very similar EHP, while also not requiring much fatigue and granting better initiative and big boost in Mdef through dodge perk. Especially since some of the toughest and most dangerous enemies you will face late game, have very high armor pen. Ironically, BF despite being considered "late game" build, overperforms nimble mostly against the enemies which aren't that dangerous in the late game anyway, like gobbos. While against shit like massive barb camps with Chosen champions and armored unholds - which are pretty much the biggest challenge in the game, outside of a few legendary location fights, Nimble outperforms BF.

The only BF buils that will pretty much always outperform nimble defensively, is a fat neutral dodgeforged bro, but it sacrifices offensive capabilities and mostly works as a crutch for specific bros who have too shitty fat to go berserk/kf BF, but also too shitty health to be great nimbles, but they have some other great stats making you wanna keep them, so you go dodgeforged to fix their survivability.

Fat neutral BF on every bro used be meta for some time, but that was when fearsome was broken, and you were able to just maximize def and utility and win hard fights with most enemies through causing massive routs.

Looking to more footage I somehow warmed up to the new graphics. Not as good as 2d, but they are good looking stylistically. Colorful and lively without being too cartoony.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/menace/gamescom-preview-xcom-terminator

New tactical RPG Menace is like XCOM in space, but with more drama​

When the Terminator style Menace shows up in a distant system, former enemies must work together in this new, galaxy spanning tactical RPG.
New tactical RPG Menace is like XCOM meets Terminator in space - A soldier wearing golden armor with a black face plate.

If you’re craving XCOM 3, then new tactical RPG Menace might be just the meal you’re looking for. Coming from Overhype Studios (formerly of Battle Brothers) and Manor Lords publisher Hooded Horse, Menace sees you teaming up with the very troublemakers you were sent to handle as a terrifying, Terminator-style threat puts the very existence of humanity into question. At Gamescom 2024, I sat down for a special preview behind closed doors with managing director Jan Taaks and creative director Paul Taaks.

As a squadron of marines, you’re dispatched to the Wayback System – a sector of space cut off from the Core Worlds, so named because only the entry lanes are active, meaning there’s effectively no way back. Your job is to deal with pirates and bug-like alien threats in the zone, which the team describes as “acting like a sheriff in the Wild West.” While this structure underpins the opening hours of the tactical RPG, your goals dramatically shift when a new threat arrives on the scene – the eponymous Menace.

The Menace are a varied and unsettling blend of half-man, half-machine hybrids. Typically they comprise a fleshy, human-like center mass of exposed muscle and sinew, with a wide range of mechanical augmentations such as weapons, legs, and even tank-style tracks. Overhype cites ‘80s body horror and animatronics among their key inspirations for the design, as well as calling out the likes of movies such as Terminator 2 and 1999’s Virus.

As soon as the Menace rears its head, your goals change. With no reinforcements available from the core worlds, those pirates you were facing before might now be your only hope of survival. Of course, working together in such an uneasy alliance will present myriad challenges, so expect to face everything from crew clashes to outright mutinies if you aren’t able to deal with the balance of factions you’ve brought into the fold.

The central structure of Menace sees you selecting the planet you consider to be the highest priority, and tasks you with making an attempt to reclaim it through a series of missions. You’ll have to consider factors such as the threat level it’s facing, valuable resources that are there, or its importance to a faction whose upgrades you’re particularly coveting. Lose even one of those missions, however, and the region fails, costing you a turn on the space map.

Your army for each mission is made up of several squads, each of which consists of a named leader and a set of troops. You’ll set a standard weapon for the squaddies, and a special one for whoever’s in charge – there are no restrictions on class here, although with a lot of numbers under the hood you’ll likely want to coordinate your choices to specialize. Your army as a whole has a loadout cap, which applies across all your squads and encompasses the troops, armor, weapons, accessories, and so on.

Menace - A squad wearing skull-faced masks takes cover in a forest.

Every one of the leaders is a named, written character. Lest you’re worried about repetition, Overhype tells me that there are more than you’re likely to see in a single playthrough. They’ll all have their own likes and dislikes – the team cites the Jagged Alliance series as an inspiration for the design here – and of course the desperation of the situation mandates that you’ll more than likely end up with some members of your crew that stand at moral or ethical odds with one another. How you deal with those conflicts is up to you.

Once you hit the battlefield, the first and most dramatic difference between Menace and Battle Brothers is the sheer visual upgrade. With the studio growing from three to ten people and a switch to the Unity engine, Menace is in full 3D, and it’s a big improvement. There’s a real care and attention to detail here – zoom in on your squads and you’ll notice the fine details on their weapons and equipment. In fights, you’ll actually see units move to take cover dynamically within their square as they’re targeted from certain directions, or drop to the ground when suppressed.

That suppression mechanic is at the core of combat, too. Weapons such as heavier machine guns aren’t really that good at dealing damage, but they’re excellent at filling a three-tiered suppression meter. Reach the third stage and the targeted unit will be forced to drop prone, meaning they’ll lose their next turn. Enemies can suppress you too, however, and the way shots are modeled means several units can be affected at once, although you can turn to resources like combat drugs to overcome the problem.

Menace - A vehicle creates smoke as a cover from enemies in a snow field.

Depending how fights progress, you’ll see the squads respond in kind. Some may waver or begin to flee if things get too hot for them. Military teams are fairly resilient, of course, while the pirates’ huge numbers and powerful equipment belies their easily-broken morale.

Cover, then, is very powerful – if you can find it. Environments such as trees might provide some basic protection, but can be shot through or destroyed very easily. In an emergency, you can even have troops hide behind your own larger vehicles and mechs – although you probably don’t want those taking too much damage either. Even light damage to them begins to tick up a chance that they might malfunction when trying to take an action.

As for the weapons, Overhype has opted for a real rock-paper-scissors model where, for example, regular rifles will do basically no damage to a tank. To best represent this, the traditional ‘hit percentage’ of an XCOM-like has been replaced with a targeting line that changes color dynamically from red to green to display the potential effectiveness of an attack.

Menace - A mech fires a rocket towards a group of soldiers.

To support your troops, you can also bring ship upgrades into action – but they’re not a quick-fix solution. I see an unguided missile strike in action, which has a chance to land anywhere within a fairly broad radius. It’s also not instant, requiring a full turn (meaning every single unit on the field has taken an action) before it arrives.

If one of your squads falls, the leader is at risk – you’ll have just a few turns to stabilize them, else they’re gone for good. Succeed, and they’ll still remain out of action for the next few encounters. Additionally, such incidents can cause further team drama; in my demonstration, military sniper Darby is saved by pirate Jean Sy. Once the battle ends, this course of action leaves Darby disgruntled by owing her life to a rival, while the pirate earns themselves a newfound overconfidence.

For those who like a challenge, Menace is looking to provide it. But Overhype doesn’t want you to be reloading when you fail – “losses create stories,” after all. The team says Menace should feel a little less punishing than Battle Brothers – a game that’s not unfair, but is certainly unrelenting – but you can certainly expect to suffer losses as your campaign progresses. As for whether you can put a stop to the Menace? You’ll have to wait until later in 2024 to find out. Until then, you can wishlist it on Steam.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/overhype...its-going-to-be-an-easy-game-its-not-1426383/

Overhype Studios on Menace's difficulty: "lots of people are concerned that it's going to be an easy game... it's not"​

Creative director Paul Taaks confirms that the developer's next game will not be a walk in the park.​

Strategy fans around the world are no doubt hugely excited to learn more about the next title coming from developer Overhype Studios, the same team behind the famed and notoriously difficult Battle Brothers. With this upcoming title in mind - and known as Menace - a very different project to what the team is previously known for, there has been some chatter that the game will sacrifice a bit of iconic challenge to make it more accessible and intriguing to a wider audience. According to creative director Paul Taaks, this absolutely won't be the case.

Speaking with Taaks at Gamescom, he told me: "Yeah so first of all, lots of people are concerned that it's going to be an easy game... it's not. It's going to be very complex, but we try to make it a little bit less frustrating for players, and also we want players to actually get into it easier. So, it has to be easy at the start, and then get more difficult, while Battle Brothers is very difficult at the start, and then it gets easier."

Needless to say, you can be assured that a challenging and complex strategy offering is on its way when Menace arrives. To learn more about the game and why Overhype decided to move away from the fantasy setting to explore the cosmos, be sure to watch the full interview below.

Transcript: https://www.gamereactor.eu/video/70...tudios+creative+director/#videoContent-701103

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's despite the journos doing their usual best to prove they're idiots who don't know what they're talking about.
tactical Mass Effect
:prosper:
XCOM in space
:dead:

However even they can't make this sound not exciting
Weapons such as heavier machine guns aren’t really that good at dealing damage, but they’re excellent at filling a three-tiered suppression meter. Reach the third stage and the targeted unit will be forced to drop prone, meaning they’ll lose their next turn. Enemies can suppress you too, however, and the way shots are modeled means several units can be affected at once, although you can turn to resources like combat drugs to overcome the problem.
Fuck yes. I've been wanting this in tictacs games since JA2 1.13 and it's pretty much the sole reason Broken Lines is worth playing. I'm so excited. I don't care if every single game I've been excited about in the past has turned out to be disappointing, that won't happen this time.

While I like the graphics and art, it appears like they're using a tileset system that makes the environment a rigid grid of squares. The game looks more like Company of Heroes than XCom. I'm guessing the end product will be close to Hairbrained Scheme's Battletech.

Speaking with Taaks at Gamescom, he told me: "Yeah so first of all, lots of people are concerned that it's going to be an easy game... it's not. It's going to be very complex, but we try to make it a little bit less frustrating for players, and also we want players to actually get into it easier. So, it has to be easy at the start, and then get more difficult, while Battle Brothers is very difficult at the start, and then it gets easier."

And this is exactly how it should be. If a game is easy at the beginning, you lose interest. It doesn't matter if the game becomes good later. Replaybility also suffers when the game is boring at the beginning.

geno

Savant
I'm not feeling it
Portraits of soldiers will tell us everything. If it's row of niggerz in space, row of stronk hwhite women and one confused, lonely, Rogueysexual white male => into the trash bin. Zero mercy to the WOKE. Ain't got time for WOKE shit

So far it's been wrapped up enigma. Unwrapping is soon[...]
menace-characters-1.webp

If I understood it correctly, only squad leaders haver portraits, the rest are faceless soldiers: It seems like everyone is wearing a helmet.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I'm not feeling it
Portraits of soldiers will tell us everything. If it's row of niggerz in space, row of stronk hwhite women and one confused, lonely, Rogueysexual white male => into the trash bin. Zero mercy to the WOKE. Ain't got time for WOKE shit

So far it's been wrapped up enigma. Unwrapping is soon[...]
menace-characters-1.webp

If I understood it correctly, only squad leaders haver portraits, the rest are faceless soldiers: It seems like everyone is wearing a helmet.
HAHAHAHAHAH
:nocountryforshitposters:

Into the trash bin. Germans keep excelling at destroying themselves.
Perfect parity between sexes and all of them diverse. Textbox WOKE with Cuckservative flavour. She's black general cyber ninja lesbian. AND votes for Trump XVI!

/Thread: Unfollowed
Hooded Horse: Cuckservative Publisher. WOKE with anesthesia of good gameplay. Thanks, but No

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Can't wait. Toilet paper d1p for me, although I won't deny there is no wisdom to this whatsoever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom