Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline MENACE - sci-fi turn-based tactical RPG from Battle Brothers devs

Shaki

Arbiter
Why should I change my answer if "you're stupid" is more than enough to describe you?

Than, obviosly, as always, stupid people like you think that being a crying baby that rape literature and grammar to make (apparently) fun of something, makes you an high-level savant who knows more than others.

Rofl, not only a dumbfuck, but also a walking, talking fedora. What happened for you to leave reddit and somehow find yourself here? Not getting enough updoots for talking like a pompous 14 years old, who just read his first book last week and needs to share his new-found mastery of language with everyone? +M

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did Battle Brothers have a plot at all?
Something about the Old Empire and Undead Legions, and your main character being the False King (or at least, from False King's bloodline) mentioned by Ancient Legionnaries.

So... no, or at least not a strong or even a particularly well defined one.

That's essentially my point, re: preliminary whining about plot stuff for this game. Storyfags are cancer.

Vincente

Arbiter
Something about the Old Empire and Undead Legions, and your main character being the False King (or at least, from False King's bloodline) mentioned by Ancient Legionnaries.

That's essentially my point, re: preliminary whining about plot stuff for this game. Storyfags are cancer.
Well, I think what I mentioned counts as a plot, but Battle Brothers is so open ended that you can finish the Undead Invasion crisis without even getting the flashback events (where you read a scene from the eyes of the Old Emperor, talking with your consort, where they explain how the Ancient Legions came to be), or fighting a single battle, or that rare event with the fortune teller where she talks about you being the False King (and get a named dagger), you just have to survive the crisis and you've "won" the game, so to speak.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Well, I think what I mentioned counts as a plot, but Battle Brothers is so open ended that you can finish the Undead Invasion crisis without even getting the flashback events (where you read a scene from the eyes of the Old Emperor, talking with your consort, where they explain how the Ancient Legions came to be), or fighting a single battle, or that rare event with the fortune teller where she talks about you being the False King (and get a named dagger), you just have to survive the crisis and you've "won" the game, so to speak.

That's fine, but as I say, it's not particularly strong or well defined. The fact that you can miss it, not be aware of it, aren't constrained by it, don't need to interact with it in any manner, and that it has no real bearing on much of anything in the game is enough to prove that in my mind.

Reinhardt

Arcane

or not even getting undead crisis at all

rare event with the fortune teller where she talks about you being the False King (and get a named dagger),
Wasn't it a hexe?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Battle Brothers' story elements are by design in the background. Players can interact with them or not. The "canon captain" is money driven and wants to keep his company alive (he assumes command after its near-annihilation). So the captain operates as a sort of anti-story tool and simply no-sells plot points. It also drives home one of the key themes which is that a dude in a very violent, very low information world would be so far out of his depth at all times he just wouldn't be bothered to pause and contemplate bigger matters. You see this with events like the giant statue, the fucking around with the Golden Goose, the implied teleportation device in the tower, the Undead Scourge events, etc., or some quest turn-ins where some of the Bigger Fish ponder a "would you like to know more?" and the captain simply says no and takes his payment and leaves. Originally this was intended to keep the writing in line with the gameplay loop, but I think in the end it did give the captain an endearing character, at least in my opinion.

Hydro

Educated
So to summarize:

We get an XCOM in space, that will be much easier than BB, but has better graphics and a bunch of nigger wamyn soldiers to lead. Yay!

That's why I always say pirate good games. This is exactly what happens when devs get a taste of money. They want more and more, and the easiest way to get it is to make their games easier, more woke, and "better" looking. Keep good devs poor, that's the only way they can keep making prestigious games. Money corrupts.
A very stupid take, I want to reward the devs for the good game they already made which I enjoy playing. What then they decide do afterwards, will be a whole new ballgame - I can either decide to purchase it, or if it's not to my taste - not to buy it.
That's just your sorry ass excuse for pirating. Would have made a lot more sense if you'd said don't crowd-fund/kickstart.
Games are art, and best artists are hungry artists. It's as true now, as it was centuries ago. Best games are created by struggling outcasts, working tirelessly in their basements, fueled by pure passion and autism. You reward them by enjoying their creations, and protecting their artistic souls from getting corrupted by money.
It’s a myth tho. The majority of good art was made by pros making their living with art. Greatest games were done by business minded people.

Exception is music, which has seen a lot of bedroom geniuses. They didn’t succeed in making money tho.

Vincente

Arbiter
Would you have liked to write an origin where you had to chase the "bigger plot" like the Oathtakers ambitions have them chase a set story plot (this being Oathbringers), but instead the captain tries to follow the clues about the giant not!Constantine statue, Undead Scourge etc, sser ?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Would you have liked to write an origin where you had to chase the "bigger plot" like the Oathtakers ambitions have them chase a set story plot (this being Oathbringers), but instead the captain tries to follow the clues about the giant not!Constantine statue, Undead Scourge etc, sser ?

Given the gameplay loop, I like the plot being for the player to consume moreso than engaged with by in-game characters. However, one thing I wanted was a possibility for the individual backgrounds to have "endings." That would be somewhat story-adjacent. The simplest example of this would be the Squire becoming a Knight; the Historian becomes a Scribe and maybe reveals a unique location; etc. My thinking behind that was to give more incentive to leveling up BG's to max or near-max and to add more flavor to the bros. You get quasi-versions of this with the Swordmaster becoming old, the King's Guard event, and I suppose the Witch Hunter solution to the Hoggart story. I have a ton of other ideas, but they're more for a BB2 than the current iteration.

Vincente

Arbiter
However, one thing I wanted was a possibility for the individual backgrounds to have "endings." That would be somewhat story-adjacent. The simplest example of this would be the Squire becoming a Knight; the Historian becomes a Scribe and maybe reveals a unique location; etc.
It would have been really cool to see your Lone Wolf origin given Squire become a Knight, maybe after you retire, or as an event.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battle Brothers 2 you say
thinking.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battle Brothers' story elements are by design in the background. Players can interact with them or not. The "canon captain" is money driven and wants to keep his company alive (he assumes command after its near-annihilation). So the captain operates as a sort of anti-story tool and simply no-sells plot points. It also drives home one of the key themes which is that a dude in a very violent, very low information world would be so far out of his depth at all times he just wouldn't be bothered to pause and contemplate bigger matters. You see this with events like the giant statue, the fucking around with the Golden Goose, the implied teleportation device in the tower, the Undead Scourge events, etc., or some quest turn-ins where some of the Bigger Fish ponder a "would you like to know more?" and the captain simply says no and takes his payment and leaves. Originally this was intended to keep the writing in line with the gameplay loop, but I think in the end it did give the captain an endearing character, at least in my opinion.
Btw, how much of this is in the books you wrote? Does it follow the same theme?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Btw, how much of this is in the books you wrote? Does it follow the same theme?

The books are mostly through the eyes of a witch hunter so as to key into the more supernatural elements now and again. Same thematics, though, especially as the view broadens and more characters start getting introduced. The first book starts with a witch hunt and many have found to it to be excessively violent, but I wanted to set a tone of...

Guy has an insanely dangerous job --> rest of society doesn't give a shit, which is very much in keeping with the BB atmosphere.

If you want a listen I still have a bunch of US/UK audible keys on hand :lol:

I was hoping to do a full comic run, but can't find any biters on the project. The comic's script follows the canon company itself as seen through the eyes of the "scavenger" camp follower. That's the BB side-project I really wanted to dive into.

Here were the first six pages as a test run:

https://www.scribd.com/document/705067528/The-Scavenger?secret_password=CBKuXggQXYsPSeuATSeo

Also this is derailing the thread a bit, I think.

Vulpes

Scholar
Into the trash bin. Germans keep excelling at destroying themselves.
Perfect parity between sexes and all of them diverse. Textbox WOKE with Cuckservative flavour. She's black general cyber ninja lesbian. AND votes for Trump XVI!

/Thread: Unfollowed
Hooded Horse: Cuckservative Publisher. WOKE with anesthesia of good gameplay. Thanks, but No
Okay, so there's at least one black woman, what if... get this... she only fucks white guys? I'd say that's pretty based :cool:

Reinhardt

Arcane
i think it's just to show art of different human races. maybe it's like wh40 - very different cultures on different planetes. i mean shaneequa looks more like allahu akbar than proper military.

Lhynn

Arcane
Elite%20Soldaten.png

Woke alert! Black woman soldier! Woke alert! In a 1994 game!

Some people are just retards.
I mean, yeah. Its progressive retardation.

People only put up with it back then because
A) You know she likes cock.
B) Physically strong women are cool.
C) No cringe. Just dumb fun.

All these things have changed, thus people reject it.
A) Shes a lesbian
B) Shes a strong womyn meant to lead men.
C) Fun is not important, its all boomer + millenial cringe.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/me...-the-galaxys-deadliest-teambuilding-exercises

Menace’s turn-based battles are the galaxy’s deadliest teambuilding exercises​

The Battle Brothers devs’ next strategy game wants you to keep its soldiers sweet
A squad of marines huddles behind cover in Menace.Image credit: Hooded Horse

If you’ve played Battle Brothers, you’ll know that Overhype Studios have a way of making you care for an underling, no more so than when you inadvertently send them onto the wrong end of a sharp blade. Menace, their upcoming turn-based tactical RPG, will also put the wellbeing of your chosen fighters at the forefront of your mind – along with a dramatic shift from 2D medieval sprites to the fully 3D battlefields of a unruly space frontier.

Whereas Battle Brothers filled your army with randomly generated serf lads, Menace lets you hire a cast of ready-made, "fixed" soldiers with their own backstories and personalities. It’s up to you how to recruit and deploy this gaggle of assorted mercs and charlatans, who range from aloof ex-marines to cheerful snipers and loudly pious mech pilots. For some, their roles as powerful squad leaders will likely result in them becoming the main characters of any given playthrough.

Thus, whereas Menace’s turn-based battles, grid movement, and heavy emphasis on cover will naturally invoke XCOM comparisons, the presence of these personalities more specifically brings to mind XCOM: Chimera Squad and its ragtag cast of interspecies cops. Except, Menace goes far heavier on both detail and scale than that pared-back spinoff did. Stat fiends will relish digging through the numbers that each pre-mission squad equip screen pours out, with such granularity as to include a line graph showing the damage falloff for individual guns. And, when you’re planetside, you won’t be fighting a preset handful of foes on a predesigned map, but a proc-gen army on randomised (and unpredictable) terrain.

An allied mech lets loose a rocket in Menace.Image credit: Hooded Horse

In a demo I was shown at Gamescom last month, the mission was simple – wipe out a garrison of space pirates – but Menace’s vast box of battle mechanics and unit systems quickly had multiple concerns jostling for my brainspace. The simplest way to delete a baddie is, of course, to flank around their cover and pop them sideways, but suppression and morale are also at play, so isolating and blanketing an enemy unit with inaccurate scare-fire can send them running instead. Assuming you were inaccurate on purpose; the chance to land a shot is represented by a red, orange, or green targeting line as you aim, dialling back the stat-crunching compared to XCOM’s hit percentages but tacitly encouraging riskier shots. In my mind, anyway. 50% is a rubbish chance, but orange is fine, right? I’d take a punt on orange.

Ever-present in these battles are the barks and bantz of your (fully voiced) recruits. There’s loads of canned dialogue, obviously, but it’s the interactions between these units that sounds most interesting. Depending on smoothly or bloodily a mission pans out, characters can either bond or quarrel with their comrades, adding a touch of RPG friendship-balancing to the turn-based action. Keeping them in a good mood will help, by succeeding in missions and avoiding injuries or friendly casualties, whereas careless play will sour them, leading to more inter-unit arguing and a less effective fighting force.

Marines line up in a treeline in Menace.Image credit: Hooded Horse
Basically, rather than repeat Battle Brothers’ tactic of getting you attached to unique proc-gen men, Menace’s character drama is more conventionally based around actual characters. Still, there looks to be plenty of scope for scripting your own tragic deaths and/or war stories, particularly the kind where a seemingly minor misstep snowballs into desperate disaster. In my demo, for instance, the opportunity to simply roll a tank over some enemy pirates proved too good to pass up, cueing about half a turn of satisfied chuckles before another raider popped out from the fog with a rocket launcher. The price of that momentary valuation of black comedy over intelligent positioning? One piece of exploded armour and a squad leader in dire need of medevac, forcing other units to redirect, along with a complete offensive rethink.

Some keen sniping and liberal use of the battle-vicar’s heavy mech weapons still proved enough to grab the win, with only the unfortunate tank commander left growing a scowl in the infirmary, though I did get the sense that this was a relatively straightforward early-game victory against the least threatening of the enemy factions. Only through some of concept art did I glimpse the titular menace itself: an alien race of 80s body horror-inspired flesh lumps, sickeningly grafted with various metal tubes, guns, and on at least one poor sod, tank tracks. This lot apparently won’t show up until much later, suggesting that you’ll need to stay willing to mix up your tactics and squad loadouts well into the campaign.

A tank blows up defences in a snowy Menace battle scene.Image credit: Hooded Horse
Menace, the game, is also a good ways off; the version I saw was playable yet buggy, and awash with placeholder UI. But in blending a tactically rich turn-based game with some meaty role-playing elements, its ambition is already impressive. Publishers Hooded Horse might not go out looking for hits, but if Overhype can bring together all of these constituent parts into a cohesive whole, both parties could at least have a quality slab of strategy on their hands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom