Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid Δ (Snake Eater Remake) - PC/PS5/Xbox confirmed to use original voice files

Ezekiel

Arcane
Fuck Peace Walker.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Yes, Gilius. Portable Ops (which I didn't play) and Peace Walker were the start of Metal Gear's decline into micromanagement that killed the survival theme and sense of adventure. Destroyed the whole flow of the adventure, made the story boring by having Snake drop in and just leave minutes later. Futurism was ridiculous, building no technological bridge between Snake Eater and the first games of the series, The Boss AI was frustrating (should have left her character alone), Emmerich fanservice was far-fetched and annoying. Blander areas, thanks to crappy portable hardware and mini-mission structure.

Yes, Gilius. Portable Ops (which I didn't play) and Peace Walker were the start of Metal Gear's decline into micromanagement that killed the survival theme and sense of adventure. Destroyed the whole flow of the adventure, made the story boring by having Snake drop in and just leave minutes later. Futurism was ridiculous, building no technological bridge between Snake Eater and the first games of the series, The Boss AI was frustrating (should have left her character alone), Emmerich fanservice was far-fetched and annoying. Blander areas, thanks to crappy portable hardware and mini-mission structure.

I don't think Peace Walker shares any responsibility for Metal Gear's decline, as it's a spin-off for a portable console; it's meant to be a refreshment from the main series, and the only questions is if it's fun at it what it does. I thought so. I like the mini-mission structure, the missions are pretty fun to stealth through and you can wear the naked outfit for extra challenge. You had something like this in VR Missions, so it's not a new concept. The management aspect is done much better than in MGS5 and the related missions where you can capture vehicles are also good fun.

The story was shit, sure, but it was already so in 4, and definitely 5. I love the premise of running a rogue mercenary outfit and the myth of Big Boss, but Kojima had already lost his own plot at this point and I'd rather not dwell on it too much. It does feel to me like he had fun making this game, unlike 4 and 5.

In any case, the Metal Gear franchise was already dead at this point, so it makes little sense to talk about decline. MGS5 should've never happened, at least not as a Metal Gear game.

A real negative think I can think of is David Hayter's voice--absolutely abysmal performance. Kojima was right to replace him.

ind33d

Learned
all the base management stuff was a setup for MGS V's multiplayer Mario Maker mode where the FOBs were going to be custom maps submitted by the community but all the plans fell through when Konami forced Kojima to ship

ADL

Prophet
MGS3's "zones" are tiny. About comparable to anything in MGS1&2. It would've been cool to see a reimagining of the level design to be more open and cut down on transitions but it ain't happening.

ferratilis

Magister
When they stick too much to the original, people will bitch about lack of innovation and laziness. If they take liberties, people will bitch about not respecting the source material. Working on remakes must suck.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They aren't doing a redubbing, which I don't care about. But the maps are also being 1:1 recreated. I've never played the PS2 version, but isn't that reason for concern? How tiny are these maps?
They are mega tiny, and with the new easy controls, I don't see how this game will be any challenge at all when it comes to sneaking. It will be like the Peace Walker remaster for the 360, I guess.

Ezekiel

Arcane
They aren't doing a redubbing, which I don't care about. But the maps are also being 1:1 recreated. I've never played the PS2 version, but isn't that reason for concern? How tiny are these maps?
They are mega tiny, and with the new easy controls, I don't see how this game will be any challenge at all when it comes to sneaking. It will be like the Peace Walker remaster for the 360, I guess.
Which makes these previews so useless. With the same small maps and easier controls, the only serious option is to play with the classic controls (and camera). But these people will not talk about those features and any small mechanical details that still did not carry over. They will describe (in shallow fashion) almost exclusively what is available by default, because those are the modes 98 percent of their readers and viewers will use.

The music, voice acting and story will all be the same, and new visual style can be judged without playing, making these previews and eventual reviews doubly useless.

Ezekiel

Arcane
"Plays like MGSV"

Ugh.

"Change camo on the fly with D-pad"

Who changes their camo THAT much? Why?

tommy heavenly6

Learned

A common midwit complain is having to change camo too often, because most gamers are just min-maxxing tards who need 95% camo at all times despite not being needed at all

Ezekiel

Arcane

A common midwit complain is having to change camo too often, because most gamers are just min-maxxing tards who need 95% camo at all times despite not being needed at all
Yeah, I just told a guy, "If you need to change it every time you switch from soil to vegetation for a five to 15 percent difference in a single map, you are weak. Splitter is just fine in most man-made spaces," after he said, "It's to your advantage to manage how effectively you blend in with your hiding spot."

It's okay to move from grass to soil and back with the same pattern, lol. The mountain is pretty much one color. Putting the squares pattern off and on all the time in Rassvet is just dumb.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
At most I switched between a single jungle appropriate camo and a desert one, and even then I preferred to go with just one on repeat plays as I felt it was more enjoyable to push the game a little closer to simulation.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Imagine complaining about control improvements.

Without knowing how you are supposed to "stalk" with the new control scheme, an alternative use for the D-pad would have been shortcuts to the survival viewer options.

D-pad up: Camouflage
D-pad right: Backpack
D-pad left: Food
D-pad down: Cure

Start stays free for the radio (codec), instead of whatever combination is used after the DualShock 3 controller that was the last PlayStation controller with a "Select" button. (Because we REALLY needed that Share button for badly compressed video.)

If L2 and R2 no pause the action with weapon and item windows, then the player could cycle through with the D-pad. Can't believe I'm even suggesting that, though. Was a lot better than some bullshit like Dark Souls and its many clones, where you cycle almost blindly one way through so many items.

Ezekiel

Arcane

4:58

"More essential is the fact that Snake can now crouch-walk, another feature first included in the 3DS version, which practically feels like a necessity in a stealth game."

Why does this feel like a necessity in a stealth game aside from expectation stemming from every modern stealth game having it (usually for no good reason)? He doesn't explain it because he he doesn't have a reason and doesn't think he has to. It's so uncool, so dumb, so nonsensical, so arbitrary and slows everything down. Bending your knees so much does not quiet your footsteps. The camo system, the limited eyesight of the enemies and their verbal warnings ("What's that?") were generous enough. Crouching should be used to access low spaces, duck under hazards like bullets and hide behind objects, nothing else.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Zelda at least used it as a puzzle. "Pray at the altar," the assembled tablet read. The game's still worse for it, though. Just dumb that goblins hear you the SECOND you stand. Try not to accidentally press L3 while fighting or fleeing.

kdwSyRP.jpeg

Ezekiel

Arcane
You know what else? I'm starting to dislike the term "quality of life." Ignored it for the longest time, just didn't think much of it, but now I see it's used by people who want everything homogenized. The quality-of-life enhancements to them are generally everything working the same as in other games they've played so that they don't have to learn or adapt.

Ezekiel

Arcane

"Snake's initial bag of gear grants you a compass that presents cardinal directions as well as an objective indicator in the lower-left corner of the screen."

Lol. They have so little respect for the intelligence of players that even in a very linear game with ample directions from the characters they put an objective indicator. Because it's common.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

I like the fact that camouflage is now an instant real-time menu (hope are is the items and food menus), good quality of life change
Having the Survival Bar in the bottom middle of the screen is an odd choice (maybe for widescreen monitors?)
Healing Radio being visible and easily acessible from the get go is stupid, like c'mon they were a secret for the player to find...

Otherwise, yeah seems pretty much a 1:1 remake with controls from MGS5
And I can see why casuals might have a problem with it - the notion of MGS3 being turned a open-world is specially retarded, hat off to the team for at least not going that way

Ezekiel

Arcane
After how badly they messed up the HD Collection ports, I'll take my chances emulating MGS4 when I want to play it again.

Ezekiel

Arcane

5:10

That's what I said, the example I used somewhere a week ago. Like The Twin Snakes bringing in the mechanics of MGS2, this remake will be made easier by bringing in the modern mechanics without expanding the maps.

8:09

Talks about the realistic shadows. Instead of being impressed by the graphics I just think shadows could have mechanically enhanced modern stealth games. They could have given away your location or maybe even distracted the enemy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom